Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Awh sh**.. waiting on the bus down to west cork now so hopefully there's some show but no damage at the same time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Ah FFS, i just got a new fence built last week, well i suppose this will be a good test of it :-/

Tipp/Clare border region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Graces7 wrote: »
    Anyone skill re tide tables please? Just been out and a very low tide; sand exposed. Patches of blue skies but massing dark clouds swarming in. Very dramatic.

So when the tide turns? Rather lovely out but clearly not going to last.

Here Grace,go to locations and pick the nearest to you,then scroll down.
    www.tidetimes.org.uk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

He over hypes every storm and drop of rain that falls. He is Irelands version of the daily express. Met Éireann have a team of fully qualified meteorologists and have much more technology than he ever will have. Putting out bogus warnings like he has done is dangerous and the day a actual proper red warning needs to be issued some will ignore because he issues them once or twice a week. I know most of the the forecasts pages have this view also.

Amazing the amount of people I know who like his Facebook page and follow him. The comments section is 'ah Cathal you're a star', 'thanks so much Cathal you're so much better than Met Eireann'. I can't believe intelligent people I know follow this attention seeker.

He even came up with a new colour code for a night in June when he said thunderstorms would rival July 1985. Purple for extremely extreme weather!! Needless to say nobody saw lightning that particular night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Here's the full latest warning from ME.

STATUS RED - WIND WARNING FOR CORK
    Between 9pm and midnight Storm Ellen will produce a core of very severe and destructive winds.

Issued: 11:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020

Valid from: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 23:59 Wednesday 19/08/2020

STATUS ORANGE - WIND WARNING FOR MUNSTER, GALWAY AND MAYO
    Storm Ellen will track over Ireland this evening and tonight bringing severe and damaging winds. Heavy rainfall and storm surge will result in some flooding.

Issued: 11:22 Wednesday 19/08/2020

Valid from: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 06:00 Thursday 20/08/2020

STATUS YELLOW - WIND WARNING FOR IRELAND
    It will become very windy on Wednesday night and throughout the day on Thursday. Severe gusts are likely and there is a risk of some disruption. Due to the combination of storm surge, spring tides and onshore winds there is a potential risk of coastal flooding.

Issued: 15:00 Tuesday 18/08/2020

Valid from: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 20/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

IWC not too far off now given ME red warning for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Id like to know this too..

Also i sit on in Sth West Kildare on the border of Carlow and Laois. Any idea if it will be yellow or orange and should I weigh the trampoline down

In terms of intensity, i can't see the gusts being as strong as the ECM were showing. Met Eireann have a Yellow for your area. Parts of the south east could end up in orange terrority, but as MT Cranium was saying this could end up being quite localised.
    In any event it's best to secure the trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Here's the full latest warning from ME.

STATUS RED - WIND WARNING FOR CORK
    Between 9pm and midnight Storm Ellen will produce a core of very severe and destructive winds.

Issued: 11:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020

Valid from: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 23:59 Wednesday 19/08/2020

STATUS ORANGE - WIND WARNING FOR MUNSTER, GALWAY AND MAYO
    Storm Ellen will track over Ireland this evening and tonight bringing severe and damaging winds. Heavy rainfall and storm surge will result in some flooding.

Issued: 11:22 Wednesday 19/08/2020

Valid from: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 06:00 Thursday 20/08/2020

STATUS YELLOW - WIND WARNING FOR IRELAND
    It will become very windy on Wednesday night and throughout the day on Thursday. Severe gusts are likely and there is a risk of some disruption. Due to the combination of storm surge, spring tides and onshore winds there is a potential risk of coastal flooding.

Issued: 15:00 Tuesday 18/08/2020

Valid from: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 20/08/2020

There's a status red marine warning too. That could be important given the time of year this is hitting and many people being on the coast on hols. Granted the time of day it's hitting and the forewarning should mitigate risk.

Storm 10 wrote: »

He gives out red alerts for every event. He's bound to get it right when a severe one does come.

He'll get a decade out of it then saying he saw it coming a day before Met Eireann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Joking aside will it be that bad ?wife is considering cancelling our hotel.

I would think the views will be amazing, depending on if you're into storm watching. If you're staying in the Walter Raleigh or Redbarn, you're looking right over the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ah yeah, he's given a red alert for the southern half of the country and is going on about 200km/h winds. Sure that's close enough to what ME are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Is a red alert for Waterford likely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Over-hypes every event, so he's bound to get something near enough right every now and again. A stopped clock and all that. As this is the boards.ie forum I would rather people didn't discuss his antics here, its not what I come here to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Mourne mountains this morning
    m4OSToW.jpg

Ah yeah, he's given a red alert for the southern half of the country and is going on about 200km/h winds. Sure that's close enough to what ME are saying.

I actually think in old parlance 'he's not all there'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen Met Eireann not mention wind speeds in a wind warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen Met Eireann not mention wind speeds in a wind warning.

Yep very unusual. I wonder is it the sting jet that was referred to earlier is the danger for cork. Wording is quite severe as you would expect for a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pad199207 wrote: »

Yes I noticed that too. Someone said that they were not sure how strong they would be?

I think more than Cork will go red. Every 2 hours Met Eireann are incrementally increasing warnings. It's measured, cagey and we've seen it before. Darwin 2014 especially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

am i missing something here? the ICON on ventusky from 9pm to midnight looks very tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Thewife wrote: »
    Is a red alert for Waterford likely ?

I wouldnt be surprised. Will just have to watch how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So it’s not gonna be too bad for the east I’m presuming?

Was just out running on the beach and in Bettystown and it was windy enough.

Thanks for the updates , always enjoy reading these threads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

HARMONIE 06Z out now and showing strongest winds come ashore around Cork and run straight up through the country, keeping the strongest winds in the Eastern half of the country from what I can make out, 160km + at landfall, 120 to130+ at its strongest moving inland up through the country, more like 100km/h towards the E.

????

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

As sure as night follows day, when a major storm approaches - Shannon radar goes down with "technical faults".

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

HARMONIE 06Z out now and showing strongest winds come ashore around Cork and run straight up through the country, keeping the strongest winds in the Eastern half of the country from what I can make out, 160km + at landfall, 120 to130+ at its strongest moving inland up through the country, more like 100km/h towards the E.

????

I reckon direct into city & worst winds east cork. Cant imagine I'll see full impact in macroom..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »
    I reckon direct into city & worst winds east cork. Cant imagine I'll see full impact in macroom..

Afternoon models will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Storm Ellen out in the Atlantic
    V1Zx9in.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A mention of 75 knot gusts on the Cork TAF , albeit a small chance. Rare though!

BECMG 1920/1922 20035G60KT TEMPO 1920/1924 5000 RA BKN008
    PROB40 TEMPO 1921/1923 22040G75KT
    BECMG 1923/2001 21025G45KT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think more than Cork will go red. Every 2 hours Met Eireann are incrementally increasing warnings. It's measured, cagey and we've seen it before. Darwin 2014 especially.

Yep, I mean Kilkenny went red warning during Darwin, when all hell was breaking lose, it was too late but warranted.

I know they have to be really sure before issuing red.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement