Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian airline MH-17 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

They give great value for money; a true Public Service that highlights all sorts of facts and issues our Western State and Corporate media would rather we ignore - RT is a win-win for all of us.

I just wish with their vast resources the Chinese could develop a fraction as influential and effective and outlet.

It would be interesting to get their take on MH-17, given their own experience with Malaysian Airlines.

I thought you believed it was a BUK missile that brought it down ... Why are you doubting now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Harika wrote: »

I hope the 'radar information' was something better than their first effort.... The one showing a hopelessly poor photoshop effort blaming an SU-25 but showing the crude silhouette of a mig-29!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I hope the 'radar information' was something better than their first effort.... The one showing a hopelessly poor photoshop effort blaming an SU-25 but showing the crude silhouette of a mig-29!

That was pure gold ...

2 years later they suddenly claim they have videos of the radar yeah right .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

weisses wrote: »
    I thought you believed it was a BUK missile that brought it down ... Why are you doubting now ?

I'm not doubting it! It was obviously a mistake....I'm just pointing out that RT might have a different view, just as the Western Media have.

They claim it was a deliberate act.

I too would be sceptical about radar images emerging now; that's if they are not a repeat of Russian claims at the time.

I'm not doubting it! It was obviously a mistake....I'm just pointing out that RT might have a different view, just as the Western Media have.

They claim it was a deliberate act.

You said
    Excellent article by RT - sums things up accurately.

RT says
    Desperate for answers that would shed the light on who fired the BUK missile that allegedly hit the passenger plane on July 17, 2014

If you think RT is accurate then how can you say you don't doubt a BUK missile hit that plane in your reply ?

• Advertisement

If you think RT is accurate then how can you say you don't doubt a BUK missile hit that plane in your reply ?

That's my opinion - I can't prove it and obviously RT are not convinced. In the absence of conclusive evidence to use "allegedly" is fully appropriate.

That's my opinion - I can't prove it and obviously RT are not convinced. In the absence of conclusive evidence to use "allegedly" is fully appropriate.

You claim you have no doubt it was a BUK missile but a source that is unsure is accurate according to you. Soo you actually disagree with yourself

Nice exhibition of brain gymnastics from you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

How can we forget this either?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/71132150/mh17-dastardly-cia-plot-to-shoot-down-plane-revealed-in-russia

More than likely believed by most of the general Russian public by the way.

More than likely believed by most of the general Russian public by the way.

95% of the population believe what their been told by state media .

And we all know what happens to people who disagree with the authorities

You claim you have no doubt it was a BUK missile but a source that is unsure is accurate according to you. Soo you actually disagree with yourself

Nice exhibition of brain gymnastics from you again

You appear to be trying to start a bit of a row; I said my opinion is that it was brought down by a BUK fired by the insurgents; that is the most likely thing. That is not the same has having "no doubt".

I said I have no proof to support my opinion.

Any mental gymnastics are firmly in your head, not mine.

My last word on this...if you want to make illogical points about angels on a pinhead find another target ;)

• Advertisement

You appear to be trying to start a bit of a row; I said my opinion is that it was brought down by a BUK fired by the insurgents; that is the most likely thing. That is not the same has having "no doubt".

No Im calling you out on your blatant inconsistency

You have NO doubt it was brought down by a BUK missile but you are stating that a source who is only stating it was maybe shot down by a BUK as being Accurate
    I said I have no proof to support my opinion.

Then I suggest you read the report by the DSB

Then read the Bellingcat report

Thirdly read the Almaz-Antey findings (mentiod all over the place by by RT)

Maybe after you can find the inconsistency in the RT reporting yourself

Please share a valid russian source stating anything other then the missile being a BUK ... Even they know and accept it was a BUK missile
    Any mental gymnastics are firmly in your head, not mine.

Correct it was the first thing that struck my mind by reading your reply
    My last word on this...if you want to make illogical points about angels on a pinhead find another target ;)

You were caught with your pants down posting that waffle ..Own up to it and move on

No Im calling you out on your blatant inconsistency

You have NO doubt it was brought down by a BUK missile but you are stating that a source who is only stating it was maybe shot down by a BUK as being Accurate

You were caught with your pants down posting that waffle ..Own up to it and move on

Noting to own up to..move on yourself :rolleyes:

I'll repeat; great summary by RT - and accurate as it correctly describes the BUK scenario as "alleged".

You should consult a dictionary...the words "believe" and "know" have different meanings....

Noting to own up to..move on yourself :rolleyes:

I'll repeat; great summary by RT - and accurate as it correctly describes the BUK scenario as "alleged".

You should consult a dictionary...the words "believe" and "know" have different meanings....

No one is doubting it was A BUK missile... Not Russia, nor Ukraine nor the Dutch, not even you, and yet you describe a source who is not sure as being accurate .... No dictionary needed there buddy

But I get it ... You posted your view before actually reading the RT link ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

It is now a year and a half since the tragedy, has anyone got a problem with the delay in the results of the cause of the slaughter. The Sinai crash results were released fairly quick. What are the hiding from the relatives of MH17.

It is now a year and a half since the tragedy, has anyone got a problem with the delay in the results of the cause of the slaughter. The Sinai crash results were released fairly quick. What are the hiding from the relatives of MH17.

we know what happened a Buk missle was used to shoot down MH17 as proven by the technical aspect of the first report .
    And the 2nd part of the MH17 investigation the criminal report will be released this month or early March ,

The sinai report was a joke for crying out loud the Egyptian authorities investigation said no proof of a bomb ,
    Russia said it was a bomb case closed let's go bomb innocent civilians in syria .......

The bellingcat report could be interesting to read ... No governments involved in the making of it and pretty accurate I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The bellingcat report could be interesting to read ... No governments involved in the making of it and pretty accurate I think
    Please explain how an individual sitting at home in Coventry Leicester can come up an accurate report?

Please explain how an individual sitting at home in Coventry Leicester can come up an accurate report?

I suggest you do some reading regarding the methods they used. Its really an interesting read, mainly focused on open source resources

I know its probably easier dismissing it from an armchair in Ireland. But still

I suggest you do some reading regarding the methods they used. Its really an interesting read, mainly focused on open source resources

I know its probably easier dismissing it from an armchair in Ireland. But still

But people believe someone sitting in a warehouse in Moscow writing reports that support all things russia and Putin while demonising Ukraine and the rest of the world

But I get it ... You posted your view before actually reading the RT link ..

Wrong, again....and I'm not your "buddy", OK?

• Advertisement

No one is doubting it was A BUK missile... Not Russia, nor Ukraine nor the Dutch, not even you, and yet you describe a source who is not sure as being accurate .... No dictionary needed there buddy

Given how I have got Russia's military capabilities so spectacularly right here, first in Ukraine and now in Syria - I'd say you should probably read more than just a dictionary for improved information.

I recommend RT; it has been forecasting events vastly more accurately than the Western Corporate/State media for years now.

Apart from Ukraine and Syria it was way ahead of the MSM on the impact of the refugee crisis on the EU.

So it's just silly to dismiss its views on MH17 given its superior track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I recommend RT; it has been forecasting events vastly more accurately than the Western Corporate/State media for years now.

RT was specifically set up by the Kremlin to present Russian propaganda in English. Broadcasters have quit live on air, it has never produced a story or report critical of Putin, and has low reporting standards and fact-checking.

The Kremlin prides itself on Maskirovka (military deception) and sees itself locked in an information war on many fronts, RT is just another tool in that inventory

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    RT was specifically set up by the Kremlin to present Russian propaganda in English. Broadcasters have quit live on air, it has never produced a story or report critical of Putin, and has low reporting standards and fact-checking.

The Kremlin prides itself on Maskirovka (military deception) and sees itself locked in an information war on many fronts, RT is just another tool in that inventory

A very useful source of information the Western MSM prefers not to publish, notwithstanding the fact that it doesn't criticise President Putin.

Its standards of reporting and fact-checking are at least as good as most of the Western MSM.

And you are rather naive to imagine that the Corporate/State Western media are not equally tools of Western foreign policy.

So, read both, compare and contrast, and you may become as well informed as I am.

A very useful source of information the Western MSM prefers not to publish, notwithstanding the fact that it doesn't criticise President Putin.

Its standards of reporting and fact-checking are at least as good as most of the Western MSM.

And you are rather naive to imagine that the Corporate/State Western media are not equally tools of Western foreign policy.

So, read both, compare and contrast, and you may become as well informed as I am.

"Western MSM" = hundreds of outlets of widely varying quality, credibility, impartiality, accountability, etc

RT is one outlet - not comparable

It's closest equivalent is the conservative mouthpiece FOX news US

"Western MSM" = hundreds of outlets of widely varying quality, credibility, impartiality, accountability, etc

Nope; the major Western MSM is owned/controlled by a small number of billionaires/Corporations (and Governments) or is totally dependent on them for advertising revenue.

Same control; different mechanisms.

RT is just one Russian outlet; there are many more - like the Western MSM they tend to be similar to one another in outlook; there is also an opposition press on about the same scale as Western outlets opposed to Western geopolitical interests.

You should read Noam Chomsky's "manufacturing consent" - it points out some realities regarding the Western "free press".

And, btw, if you want a singular comparison in America to RT I'd suggest the NYT is a much closer fit than Fox News!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I can honestly say I cannot think of a single impartial western media outlet- not one, the Guardian (RIP) was probably the last.
    I have NEVER heard, not once, the mainstream media acknowledge the existence let alone interview pro-Assad Syrians or anti-coup ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine, these are non people or unpeople as John Pilger calls them.

Why do we hear continuously about Russian airstrikes on Aleppo yet the attacks on civilians in Yemen goes unnoticed/covered up in the impartial media of varying quality?

Why do we hear continuously about Russian airstrikes on Aleppo yet the attacks on civilians in Yemen goes unnoticed in the impartial media of varying quality?

Indeed - and while RT doesn't focus on the casualties of Russian air-strikes in Aleppo - it does gives prominent coverage to Yemen, something almost completely ignored or downplayed by, say, the Irish Times or the NYT or the Guardian.

Proving my point. ;)

Nope; the major Western MSM is owned/controlled by a small number of billionaires/Corporations (and Governments) or is totally dependent on them for advertising revenue.

Interesting.. does this include the main Scandinavian outlets?

Interesting.. does this include the main Scandinavian outlets?

Probably - but if they don't publish in English I wouldn't know.

• Advertisement

I can honestly say I cannot think of a single impartial western media outlet- not one, the Guardian (RIP) was probably the last.
    I have NEVER heard, not once, the mainstream media acknowledge the existence let alone interview pro-Assad Syrians or anti-coup ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine,

Why do we hear continuously about Russian airstrikes on Aleppo yet the attacks on civilians in Yemen goes unnoticed/covered up in the impartial media of varying quality?

You mean the Russian soldiers and militias divvying up easter Ukraine. ......

And there's been hundreds of news stories about the bombings in Yemen and has been getting reported since it kick off there.

Might be time to change the channels i think

Advertisement