Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A solid arguent for chosing cash games over tournaments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

padraig_f wrote:
    One thing that surprises me here is the relatively low ROI from the best players. I'm not sure about what kind of ROI is sustainable at MTTs, but they normally say in $10k live events that the best players have an expectation of about 4-5 times the buy-in.
    They normally say what?

Maybe 5x the buyin in the WSOP main event, in other 10k events I can't imagine the best players can expect more than maybe 100% ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

So you guys are saying the second higherst ranked player on pocketfives and
    1st on Bodogs TLB in 2005 is an idiot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 OwenHargreaves

NickyOD wrote:
    So you guys are saying the second higherst ranked player on pocketfives and
    1st on Bodogs TLB in 2005 is an idiot?

Actually i'd be more inclined to say people who make totally incorrect statements about others , as if they were matter of fact and then dont bother to correct them, are idiots!!

I think cardshark is referring to his hyper-aggressive style of play, which usually results in him dishing out a lot of bad beats and donkings. He is clearly extremely talented and successful.

Actually i'd be more inclined to say people who make totally incorrect statements about others , as if they were matter of fact and then dont bother to correct them, are idiots!!

What's this about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

NickyOD wrote:
    Many don't make much at all. Rooney_Dives has only returned a $9K profit overall. Riverloser who is one of the highest ranked online tournament players has only made $19K on stars in over 1300 tournaments.

Think thats what he means.

• Advertisement

Think thats what he means.

I did actually reply apologising for my mistake thinking it was MTTs. That disappeared, along with other replies in this thread. The link was a repost from a thread on the hendon mob with "tournament reporter" in the thread's title so I made the assumption it was for MTTs. An honest mistake is hardly grounds for calling someone an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

NickyOD wrote:
    I did actually reply apologising for my mistake thinking it was MTTs. That disappeared, along with other replies in this thread. The link was a repost from a thread on the hendon mob with "tournament reporter" in the thread's title so I made the assumption it was for MTTs. An honest mistake is hardly grounds for calling someone an idiot.

tournamentreporter.com is a fantastic site which does list mtts for the last 2 months at least but it seems to be gone, havent been able to get onto it for weeks at least.

bohsman wrote:
    tournamentreporter.com is a fantastic site which does list mtts for the last 2 months at least but it seems to be gone, havent been able to get onto it for weeks at least.

I know!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 OwenHargreaves

NickyOD wrote:
    I did actually reply apologising for my mistake thinking it was MTTs. That disappeared, along with other replies in this thread..... An honest mistake is hardly grounds for calling someone an idiot.

It's all good, didnt see the apology. You can see why it's irritating though, imagine a thread "tournaments v cash games" with the OP saying "i think tournaments are the way to go, yer man NickyOD has only made 6k in cash games all year, cant be much money in it if that's all he's made this year!!" except you've probably made many times that amount!! Anyway, you are right there is more $ in cash games but it's still a decent living for the good tournament players, better than a lot of jobs i can think of!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

RoundTower wrote:
    Maybe 5x the buyin in the WSOP main event, in other 10k events I can't imagine the best players can expect more than maybe 100% ROI.
    So you think Ivey et al. are playing these multi-day events with an expectation of earning one buy-in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

padraig_f wrote:
    So you think Ivey et al. are playing these multi-day events with an expectation of earning one buy-in?

your forgeting most of the pros are sponsored so in esscence they are on a freeroll. if you took most of the name pros and looked at their winnings over any one year and then added up the value of the buyins to all the tourneys they played I would imagine very few are seeing more than a 100% return. Sure those that have a huge result will but most wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I recall watching an interview with Dave Colclough, he had a break even year and topped the European rankings.

Advertisement