Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Eng. in Telecommunications Engineering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Saw it on the academic calendar, just before start of semester 2 lectures http://www.dcu.ie/timetables/ac.shtml

At least I havnt missed anything, wish they'd hurry up though.

Cheers for that link, I've bookmarked it :pac:

Still no letter or anything like that so I e-mailed them again, this is the response.

We are aiming to have all Feb start students emailed by the end of this week with their confirmation on how to register. We are still completing the standard checks to ensure online registration will proceed correctly and avoid hiccups.

My understanding is that the orientation is going ahead on Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd for all Semester 2 start students. The Student Support & Development Centre are managing this so I would recommend you contact them for further information on what the schedule will be.

student.affairs@dcu.ie

:confused:

I thought they would have contacted me, but it seems to have to make contact with them; what about people who might be working and not have employers as flexible as mine to allow them two days to go to the orientation session?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mightyz

after 1 year wasted, I can clearly say.. There is a reason why only exchange students are studying on DIT Masters programme. Very bad selection of modules (or none) and a lot of lab work (for which I don't have time now).
    I decided to pause my masters for some time (part-time). I will do some www.coursera.org courses and then I will go for exams at either DCU or DIT to get my "paper".

How is the DCU anyway?

I've almost forgot. They ask me to study again a module, which was identical to one from my undergraduate course (lecturer, materials, big assignment, and only name was different).

Just finished my second semester, have to say I am enjoying it a lot. At the half way point now and am sorry I didn't start it earlier.

Anyone out there doing the course? Did Nano & Microelectronic Fabrication and Renewables this semester, both great modules, extremely well taught.

Have to think about next semester modules now which will be my third, have to do Characterization of Nano-materials as it's one of my core modules (I am doing the Nano and Optics specialization), as for the other module so far it is a toss up between EE538 - Secure Sys Admin & Internetwork Security and EE454: Optical Communications System Design. As some others have said I too have no background in programming so want to tread very carefully. I did the Photonics module in my first semester and got an A in that so leaning towards the Optical Comms stuff at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Arciphel wrote: »
    ........ so leaning towards the Optical Comms stuff at the moment.

Did that last year myself. The assignment is fairly handy, involves doing a 3 hour lab session and then writing it up with some other theory - alot less time consuming than any other assignment I've done.
    I've been doing more of the traditional telecomms modules myself, so some of the physics theory got a bit hairy for me at times, but there's a range of calculation questions you can learn off, so knowing those with the basic theory will get you through fine. If you've done photonics, you should find this grand.
    If you're doing the Nano and Optics side of it, don't know why you'd be even considering the Sys admin module

I'm doing EE509 "Data Network Protocol Analysis & Simulation" at the moment. Recommend people to avoid if you can. The assignment is very time consuming, but manageable. The theory for the exam is mental though. You'd really need photographic memory to learn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭remoh

How did you get on with the project. I'm glad its all over now although I did enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

remoh wrote: »
    How did you get on with the project. I'm glad its all over now although I did enjoy it.

What did you think of the course? I'm going to be starting this year. Any tips / recommendations on modules?

matrim wrote: »
    What did you think of the course? I'm going to be starting this year. Any tips / recommendations on modules?
    As I said I actually enjoyed the course a lot. One tip is to keep up with all the course work and assignments. Don't leave it all till the last minute because you will not have enough time to keep up. Found lecturers really helpfull. What major are you planning to study.

• Advertisement

remoh wrote: »
    As I said I actually enjoyed the course a lot. One tip is to keep up with all the course work and assignments. Don't leave it all till the last minute because you will not have enough time to keep up. Found lecturers really helpfull. What major are you planning to study.

Probably the Network Implementation major. I'll be doing it part time so expect to be doing alot from home

I did it part time as well. Found it doable to do in 2 years. I did semiconductor manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pavankrishna

Hi,this is krishna all the way from India..I got admission in the M.eng in telecommunication engineering...I just wanted to enquiry whether there are any specializations in this telecommunication engineering? and besides these how are the job opportunities after the completion of this course....I am in a dilemma whether to opt this course or not please suggest me....thanks a million in advance :)

matrim wrote: »

If you're looking to do the NEtwork Implementation major, then you're probably considering one of these modules this semester....

EE500: Performance of Data Networks
    EE509: Data Network Protocol Analysis and Simulation
    EE562: Network Programming

I did EE562 in my first semester and found the programming a very steep learning curve. EE509 is quite a tough module, and I wouldn't recommend you to do it at the beginning, maybe wait until next year if you're going to do it. EE500 was good, I'd recommend you start with that.

Then I guess you'll be picking a non core module to go with it. The Renewable module is really good, definitely do that. And the OOP module is enjoyable too. Like remoh said, definitely try to get stuck into the project work as soon as you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pavankrishna

Hi,this is krishna all the way from India..I got admission in the M.eng in telecommunication engineering.. DCU...I just wanted to enquiry whether there are any specializations in this telecommunication engineering? and besides these how are the job opportunities after the completion of this course....I am in a dilemma whether to opt this course or not please suggest me....thanks a million in advance

Hi,this is krishna all the way from India..I got admission in the M.eng in telecommunication engineering.. DCU...I just wanted to enquiry whether there are any specializations in this telecommunication engineering? and besides these how are the job opportunities after the completion of this course....I am in a dilemma whether to opt this course or not please suggest me....thanks a million in advance

Did you look around the website?.....
    http://www.dcu.ie/electronics/post/index.shtml

The major that's available for your masters is in Network Implementation.

Still doing it myself, not sure about job opportunities yet!! I will say though that the course is very well organised, the lecturers are very helpful, and DCU has a good reputation, so it will definitely be of benefit to your career. There are lots of international students taking it during my time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pk21

I am interested in the Network Implementation Masters on a part-time basis. Unfortunately, I would probably have to do the course from home if lectures only go to 5pm. I'm wondering would the quality of the notes etc make this a difficult prospect? I presume the lectures are not recorded on video.

pk21 wrote: »
    I am interested in the Network Implementation Masters on a part-time basis. Unfortunately, I would probably have to do the course from home if lectures only go to 5pm. I'm wondering would the quality of the notes etc make this a difficult prospect? I presume the lectures are not recorded on video.
    most lecturers recorded their lectures with camtasia, meaning you get a video which is the powerpoint slideshow with their voice on top, and its available to download after the lecture, so other than missing the chance to ask questions it feels like you were there. I personally find the resources & support fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

Can u complete the course in 2 years part time ?

leo2a6 wrote: »

Yes, definitely possible. I just completed it in 2 years part time. 2 subjects a semister, 8 subjects overall. Then project at the end.

• Advertisement

Like Remoh said, 2 years is the standard timeline for part time completion - but you actually have up to 4 years to do it if you like. So you can do your modules over 2 years and do your project in a 3rd year. There are obviously extra fee implications by doing this - but it is an option.

Thanks lads, I wasn't sure u could do 4 modules + the project in 2nd year.

If you choose the distance learning option, how do u do with the labs ?
    Is it written on ur master degree paper that u studied by distance learning ?

Thanks lads, I wasn't sure u could do 4 modules + the project in 2nd year.

If you choose the distance learning option, how do u do with the labs ?
    Is it written on ur master degree paper that u studied by distance learning ?

The optical comms module was the only I did which needed me to come in for a lab - and that was only one afternoon in the entire semester. All the other modules i did involved an assignment which could be done from home on your laptop - usually programming in C\C++\Java.
    Not quite finished yet, so haven't got my bit of paper yet, but I'd be very surprised if it said you did it by distance learning

A bit strange that for a telecom master, there's almost no lab...

If you check the module descriptions here. It says which modules have lab elements that require attendance

I checked already matrim, there's almost no lab.

Maybe you can do a chemistry degree instead, lots of labs in that.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Maybe you can do a chemistry degree instead, lots of labs in that.

ever heard about electronic/computer labs ?
    compare to tcd or dit similar enough masters u'll understand maybe that there are not only labs in chemistry:D

Everyone doing the course has their own computer, so there's not really a need for computer labs. I would suggest if you like pure lab work, then maybe do a research masters?

• Advertisement

think u didn't get the point, i'm not speakin about doin research in labs, but applyin the lectures and gettin some hands-on exp...
    lots of close enough taught masters have labs

https://www.cs.tcd.ie/postgraduate/mscnds/
    https://www.cs.tcd.ie/postgraduate/mobile-ubiquitous-computing/
    http://www.dit.ie/postgrad/programmes/dt085mscinelectroniccommunicationsengineering/

Advertisement