Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Man, I thought this was absolutely horrible, utter trash almost totally devoid of any redeeming features whatsoever, other than the fact that it somehow remains watchable for most of the duration.

The storyline is beyond absurd, the characters are almost non existant, the editing - I don't know what the hell they were thinking, but it's nearly impossible to see what's going on in action scenes with the sheer quantity of fast, rapid edits, the film looks horrible.

The more I think about it the angrier I get - the first two are good films and I have a lot of them for them, they started sliding with the third one and went off the rails completely with the fourth and fifth, but against all expectations this one managed to be twice as feeble as the previous outing, which actually looks like Citizen Kane in comparison.

The movie honestly sucks so bad, as much as I wanted to find good in it.

If I had to praise something it would be Ian Glen's performance - frankly he makes the film - some decent apocalyptic visuals and Mila....Mila still has it.

Overall though it's a total stinker and hands down the worst film in the franchise by a long shot. I would very generously award it a 2/10. Instantly forgettable garbage.

I went to see it in the cinema, first time since the third one, when i finally gave up on it completely. Anyway the burds a fan of the movie series so i went to see this one. And yeah, woeful, its as if the director and producers made a bet to see how much they could make on a movie by putting in little to no effort.

When they got to the hive and the lame predictable twist arrived, my brain pretty much gave up and turned off completely when the action sequences following started, i fell asleep for the majority of the following scenes until the last scene or two. And i never fall asleep in movies, shouldnt be possible with an action movie :confused:

I was hoping this would be the last one and someone else could do it properly, but they still managed to leave it open with the ending they gave us, final chapter my ass :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So I've been thinking about this more today and now that I've had more time to do just that, there are so many questions as to what the hell Paul WS Anderson was thinking when he penned and directed this.

Spoilers below!

I mean he wrote all of the movies, for god sake, so I can't understand the glaring plot holes and inconsistencies that plague The Final Chapter.

Why is there no mention of the significant characters of Leon, Chris, Ada, etc in this movie, despite the last movie ending on a cliffhanger with them all included? I mean Claire is in this movie, and even she doesn't mention her own brother at all! An entire cast disappears with barely a word of explanation offered.

What the hell was the entire point of the film 'Retribution' if Wesker allegedly betrayed them at Washington after the events of that movie, and why wasn't this explained at all in TFC other than some vague line about 'betrayal'? I mean the film has a bloody intro, couldn't they have fit it in there to offer a bit of cohesion and consistency in the story?

It's so disjointed and flows so poorly it feels like watching the final season of a TV show where you've inadvertently skipped an episode or two.

Why did they decide to ignore the storyline of previous movies? In Apocalypse Dr Ashford created to T-Virus to save his wheelchair bound daughter, who also served as the basis for the Red Queen. In this, we are not only given a totally different origin story for the T-Virus involving a different child, we're also told that the Red Queen is modeled on that new child. In fact, Umbrella Corp's entire story is radically altered in this movie.

Speaking of Red Queen, what the hell is up with her random behavior? Homicidal AI maniac in the 1st movie, flip flops between good and bad in others, and now in this one we're supposed to buy that she's a) good and b) unable to willingly harm any umbrella employees (despite willfully murdering how many in the 2002 movie?)

And Wesker - what the hell is the deal here? Aside from the point raised above re: Retribution, why is Wesker an almost immortal super-solider in that film capable of withstanding gunfire, bombs, etc - and in TFC he gets crushed by a door and he dies without really doing anything?

If Umbrella really decided to 'end the world' via deliberately releasing the T-Virus and restart the world (which, as well as being an outrageously bad story, also does not add up, at all, with events established in the first movies), why in the name of god would they fire a nuke directly at Raccoon City when The Hive, the new cradle of civilization as revealed in The Final Chapter, was right there?

I mean, the same bloody guy wrote all these movies, but they don't make any sense or add up at all. The Final Chapter is almost a re-boot, it's so radically dismissive of the storyline established in earlier films in the franchise to the point of flat out ignoring them at times just for the sake of convenience.

The movie is a bad joke and an insult, a new level of bad in a franchise which I genuinely thought had hit rock bottom with Retribution in 2012 and could only move onwards and upwards. If only I knew then what I know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Watched this tonight and after reading the post just above this he has it all nailed ....

Just a horrible horrible film for me the worst part of it all

SPOILER BELOW

Alice the bitch surviving at the end such a ****ing cop out and leaving it wide open for another one.....Someone please put this Alice franchise out of its misery , I hope to god the rumoured Resident Evil Nexflix show comes to fruition because outside of the few animes there hasn't been a live action one for me

Paul Anderson please go away and make an original IP for you to jack off to your wife beating people up thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I watched this last night just to complete the series. A horrible mess,as was said before,everything that happened previously was ignored just for the sake of the 'story' in this movie. Isaac is basically a cyborg who has clones running around,Wesker went from a badass to just wandering around a room until he died pathetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The first Resident Evil film that i couldnt watch all the way through. Not even the divine Mila
    could stop me from turning it off. If i had watched it in the cinema i would have walked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah that was grand. For finishing up a six film series, that wasn't near the worst I've seen.

Hat tips all round and not a completely unthought-out overall plot.

Slydice wrote: »
    Ah that was grand. For finishing up a six film series, that wasn't near the worst I've seen.

Whats worse than it then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Are you looking for bad films?

There's an advanced search on imdb for that. Here's just a 5 sec try:
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=1000,1000000&user_rating=,2.0

For crap endings, invest a shed load of time and watch the TV series Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Hat tips all round and not a completely unthought-out overall plot.
    I was hoping Wesker would have a better part in it. It's not as bad as Retribution though.

Are you looking for bad films?

There's an advanced search on imdb for that. Here's just a 5 sec try:
    http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=1000,1000000&user_rating=,2.0

For crap endings, invest a shed load of time and watch the TV series Lost.

They are all B-movie/straight to dvd turds though, not a bigish budget cinema release... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Slightly off topic but I heard there is now another RE movie out now called Vendetta ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I heard there is now another RE movie out now called Vendetta ?
    That's from the animated film series, which takes place in the videogame series.

Resident Evil: Degeneration (2008) - Set between RE4 and RE5.
    Resident Evil: Damnation (2012) - Set between RE5 and RE6.
    Resident Evil: Vendetta (2017) - Set between RE6 and RE7.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it a proper Resident Evil movie , Leon, Chris Redfield and Rebecca Chambers have all prominent parts in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bumping the thread as Resident Evil fans rejoice: the franchise has finally been wrested from Paul WS Anderson's hands. A reboot is coming:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/resident-evil-reboot-kaya-scodelario-robbie-amell-hannah-john-kamen-origin-story-1234591729/
    Constantin Film has set in motion a new adaptation to add to the ever-expanding Resident Evil movie franchise. Constantin and writer-director Johannes Roberts said Tuesday that have conceived an official origin story adaptation with faithful ties to Capcom’s classic survival horror games. This story is set in 1998 on a fateful night in Raccoon City.

Starring in the roles of the iconic game characters will be Maze Runner‘s Kaya Scodelario as Claire Redfield alongside Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and the Wasp) as Jill Valentine, Robbie Amell (Upload) as Chris Redfield, Tom Hopper (The Umbrella Academy) as Albert Wesker, Avan Jogia (Zombieland: Double Tap) as Leon S. Kennedy, and Neal McDonough (Yellowstone) as William Birkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will it have any connection to the Netflix live action series?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Will it have connection to the Netflix live action series?

The breaking Deadline article doesn't say, though given the nature of cross-media these days I wouldn't be surprised if it was. This reboot is supposedly set around the very first two games, so the TV show could easily set itself in Racoon City during the outbreak, a parallel story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Gas they have Neal McDonough in it and not playing Wesker when he's made a career out of playing shady Wesker type roles. :pac:

Gas they have Neal McDonough in it and not playing Wesker when he's made a career out of playing shady Wesker type roles. :pac:

When I saw the cast summary I immediately presumed McDonagh was playing Wesker. Guess he has aged out of the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    When I saw the cast summary I immediately presumed McDonagh was playing Wesker. Guess he has aged out of the role?

I'd be fine with an older Wesker, McDonough just did a similar role in Van Helsing. A younger dude trying to crack a super human virus seems a bit redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

For the masochists, Anderson's complete saga will be out on 4K next month.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Bumping the thread as Resident Evil fans rejoice: the franchise has finally been wrested from Paul WS Anderson's hands. A reboot is coming:

https://deadline.com/2020/10/resident-evil-reboot-kaya-scodelario-robbie-amell-hannah-john-kamen-origin-story-1234591729/

Ugh, another hack director given the keys, and while i like the majority of the cast so far, they're horrible choices for the character boots they're filling.

Disappointment incoming me thinks.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hannah John-Kamen isn't an obvious choice for Herself imho, but I do really, really like her and she has that serious vibe so I like the idea.

I'm willing to give this a chance because I was always baffled that they never did a more straightforward adaptation of RE2 in particular, and shur hope springs eternal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I love the first Resident Evil movie. I enjoyed all the others to a diminishing degree.

I'm down with whatever reboots are happening, while Milla is off fighting bad CGI monsters in the desert.

Advertisement