Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think it's universally accepted that Domhnall Gleeson is terrible in these new Star Wars movies - great actor but the role and his character's lines are like a spoof movie they're so bad, like Spaceballs.

It's the direction, not the actor. Gleeson's character could have been a serious business military commander. A figure that could make the audience believe that this First Order crowd were actually a force to be reckoned with.

But no...let's make it "fun" instead.

When comparing the First Order to the Empire it's just woeful how pathetic the former is and how unrealistic the galactic situation is with them as the "reigning" power.

The sequels are masters at destroying any kind of suspension of disbelief, with their awful writing and characters. Compare Hux to Tarkin, or Piett, or Veers.

The mincing little, twisty faced, ginger wouldn't last 5 minutes with Vader.

not_face_impressed-256.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's the direction, not the actor. Gleeson's character could have been a serious business military commander. A figure that could make the audience believe that this First Order crowd were actually a force to be reckoned with.

But no...let's make it "fun" instead.

When comparing the First Order to the Empire it's just woeful how pathetic the former is and how unrealistic the galactic situation is with them as the "reigning" power.

The sequels are masters at destroying any kind of suspension of disbelief, with their awful writing and characters. Compare Hux to Tarkin, or Piett, or Veers.

not_face_impressed-256.png

You're not getting it, Tony. These new Star Wars films are for the next generation. They are for the kids. You have to move with the marketing, man. Isn't it wonderful that we are getting Star Wars films at all? Isn't it great that new, innovative directors are getting the chance to re-write the essence of Star Wars and portray it in a form more universal, and more importantly, financially viable?

Take the happy pill, Tony, and go along for the ride. In case you didn't know, the pill is called 'Everything is awesome' and guess what, it makes everything awesome, including stuff that makes no sense. Surrender to the mouse, life is easier that way.

/s :D

EDIT: This reminds me, I should re-read Huxley's 'Brave New World'.

Falthyron wrote: »
    You're not getting it, Tony. These new Star Wars films are for the next generation. They are for the kids. You have to move with the marketing, man. Isn't it wonderful that we are getting Star Wars films at all? Isn't it great that new, innovative directors are getting the chance to re-write the essence of Star Wars and portray it in a form more universal, and more importantly, financially viable?

It's something wonderful alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Aw man you'd have to queue all morning to have a spot near the presidential stand.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

General Hux was terrible, a bit of a punchline, but I still enjoyed Last Jedi on balance, so ... *shrug* I dunno. The middleground really doesn't exist with this film.

Huh. I've just checked, and I registered this username 10 years ago; and yet in all that time I can't remember a thread in Films this acrimonious, argumentative, and divisively circular. The threads on Nolan Batman films got a bit narky all right, especially the third one, but this thread has just been something else.

Removing the two 'rolling' threads (Netflix Recommendations and What-you-have-watched...), the second most replied topic has 184 posts - compared to the 6000+ of this thread. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Green milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

pixelburp wrote: »

Removing the two 'rolling' threads (Netflix Recommendations and What-you-have-watched...), the second most replied topic has 184 posts - compared to the 6000+ of this thread. :eek:

Take away David75's senseless posts and the thread would only be about 1000+ ;)

nix wrote: »
    Take away David75's senseless posts and the thread would only be about 1000+ ;)

You took time to post that? Seriously?

• Advertisement

Wonder if Hamill will do that late late on Friday?
    Probably a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Re-watched it for the first time last night and would go so far to say that I just about enjoyed it.

What a difference it makes not to be surrounded by idiots in a cinema laughing at EVERYTHING! Only last night did I realise the extent to which those clowns ruined it for me. The bad comedy barely bothered me at all when watching it alone. I think in future I will wait until after the x-mas holidays to go and see these movies when the place is quite.

I still find Rey, Finn and Poe loud, annoying and find it hard to care about what happens to them, but overall a much better experience than the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

So this is getting digital release tomorrow right? Will watch if so. Only watched this the once in the cinema. Still dissapointed looking back to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

The captain that went down with the dreadnought in the opening scene was good. He was a throwback to the type of characters you mention and gave the First Order a bit of that highly-drilled military muscle that the Empire had.

Given his age, it's likely that he was originally trained by the Empire - maybe that's why he stands out!

captain-canady-db_335c9e1a.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1280%2C720&width=960

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

pixelburp wrote: »
    General Hux was terrible, a bit of a punchline, but I still enjoyed Last Jedi on balance, so ... *shrug* I dunno. The middleground really doesn't exist with this film.

Huh. I've just checked, and I registered this username 10 years ago; and yet in all that time I can't remember a thread in Films this acrimonious, argumentative, and divisively circular. The threads on Nolan Batman films got a bit narky all right, especially the third one, but this thread has just been something else.

The film really is a mixed bag though isn't it.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    So this is getting digital release tomorrow right? Will watch if so. Only watched this the once in the cinema. Still dissapointed looking back to be fair.

Yep tomorrow for digital. Not sure what kind of quality it comes in from iTunes? And if it’s different than say amazon? Everyone seems to want it in 4K. Or if you can get all the extras with the digital release?

Ten minutes from the making of doco over on IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3962091545

The captain that went down with the dreadnought in the opening scene was good. He was a throwback to the type of characters you mention and gave the First Order a bit of that highly-drilled military muscle that the Empire had.

Given his age, it's likely that he was originally trained by the Empire - maybe that's why he stands out!

Perhaps and it's not beyond reason that there would be ex Empire officers and soldiers still fighting the good fight as it were, which makes the stormtroopers stolen at birth angle all the more stupid and redundant.

But, unlike the Empire, I never once get the feeling that the First Order is anything but an incompetent bunch of fools that are only doing well because the "resistance" are even more so.

The first order are the empire. Snoke came in and eliminated all the leading officers if they opposed him and took over and rebuilt. So there’s deffo loads imperial staff and officers still there.
    The empire and its fleet were hardly 100% efficient or even competent. They couldn’t wipe out the Rebels for what, 25 years? and were dealt major defeats by them epeatedly. Scariff. Lothal. Yavin. Endor. Probably more in the books.
    Yeah. Super competent so they were.

This one I don’t know. Could have been good to leave in. Explains Reys frustration with him.

https://twitter.com/jenniferlanda/status/973288683364167682

david75 wrote: »
    The first order are the empire. Snoke came in and eliminated all the leading officers if they opposed him and took over and rebuilt. So there’s deffo loads imperial staff and officers still there.
    The empire and its fleet were hardly 100% efficient or even competent. They couldn’t wipe out the Rebels for what, 25 years? and were dealt major defeats by them epeatedly. Scariff. Lothal. Yavin. Endor. Probably more in the books.
    Yeah. Super competent so they were.

In your rush to defend these films, you've missed the point beautifully...again.

• Advertisement

Nm it’s bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yep tomorrow for digital. Not sure what kind of quality it comes in from iTunes? And if it’s different than say amazon? Everyone seems to want it in 4K. Or if you can get all the extras with the digital release?

Ten minutes from the making of doco over on IMDb

https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3962091545

I might get it on the PS Store. That would be HD.

In your rush to defend these films, you've missed the point beautifully...again.

And in your rush to bash them you’re doing so without the right info. Backstory Tony. Backstory.

That makes fuck all sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

One positive for people who didn't like TLJ is that JJ Abrams is back to finish out the trilogy, which gives the opportunity for him to get things back on track, similar to how he did with TFA following the Prequels.

I'd guess that after 40 years of the 'Skywalker Saga', it'll be fan servicing overload to wrap up the trinity of trilogies.

That makes fuck all sense.

Charming. The first order has wiped out the new republic and just about the entire resistance. How more threatening do you want them to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Oh man! WHY didnt they leave the caretaker scene in!!

Look forward to getting a copy with that spliced in

Oh man! WHY didnt they leave the caretaker scene in!!

Look forward to getting a copy with that spliced in

Shame. They cut out a comic scene that actually worked.

Charming. The first order has wiped out the new republic and just about the entire resistance. How more threatening do you want them to be?

They blow up a few planets and then magically rule the galaxy the next day.

That's not "threatening". That's just stupid.

I can't buy that.

• Advertisement

They blow up a few planets and then magically rule the galaxy the next day.

That's not "threatening". That's just stupid.

I can't buy that.

And the republics entire fleet too. It’s pretty easy to take over once you’ve taken out the government and all its fleet.

Advertisement