Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Dredd Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It's not that massive, and if you look at it from the point of view of trying to make Dredd more gritty and realistic, it's probably designed to be more functional like an actual helmet and not just a costume accessory like in the Stallone movie.

I remember the first stills I saw of Batman Begins, I wasn't at all impressed.
    While the movie itself was a travesty I thought the costume design in Stallones Judge Dredd looked kinda cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes to Rogue Trooper, but Strontium Dog and Ro-busters should get a shout too!

Maybe give SD a cameo in the next Judge Dredd film........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Or Slaine.

That'd be a head**** to watch.

Theres a Cu chulainn movie in the making so que Sláine fans calling it a rip off :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm sure this'll be better than the stallone one. But karl urban's head is too small for the helmet dang it, at least stallone had the physical presence to play dredd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

His jawline doesn't fit the helmet at all!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

His jawline doesn't fit the helmet at all!

I think it might have been mentioned already but there's only one man I can think of who would fit that helmet out right..........

aaron_eckhart.jpg

Of course Chuck Norris would do nicely too.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Or....

tom-jane.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

redt0m wrote: »

I know it's a trademark, but the downturned mouth looks woeful contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Looks like a bloke in fancy dress more than an actual film costume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

His jawline isn't wide enough

I like it - yeah, the helmet looks a bit big, but it doesn't look as glossy as the Stallone version, and I'll wait to 'pass judgement' on Karl Urban until I see him in action - one thing I would say is that there seems to be too much empty space around the characters in any of the shots that have been released, you get the feeling this was shot in some abandoned industrial complex or something that they didn't need to spend any money on, kinda like old 80's post-apocalyptic movies that were shot in any old building just as it was found (e.g. Van Damme's Cyborg) - over a year to wait tho, so maybe/hopefully they'll add in a load of stuff in post-production...

Thirlby looks right as Judge Anderson though. I wonder will we see a Psi division in this film?

The picture of Dredd kicking in the door looks much better than the Empire cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Apparently John Wagner will be an advisor for this movie, which should help. I remember watching the Stallone version in the Savoy and when the helmet came off there was a large groan......

Also the Rico/Angel gang choice of stories were not the best, after all they had the pick of 1000's of great stories, eg Judgement Day, Total war, etc etc etc.

Not too pushed on the H wagons

mega-city-one-justice-department-trucks-dredd-2012-01-1024x682.jpg

Its supposed to be set 130 years in the future not 1996 in west belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I love how they went to the effort of removing the Toyota badge from the front but left the Hilux writing on the side.

Is it not a kind of alternate/post apocalyptic future?
    Mad Max is set in a post apocalyptic future and they use 1970's V8's, and no one complains.

kiddums wrote: »
    I love how they went to the effort of removing the Toyota badge from the front but left the Hilux writing on the side.

Is it not a kind of alternate/post apocalyptic future?
    Mad Max is set in a post apocalyptic future and they use 1970's V8's, and no one complains.

no its a dystopian future in the 22nd century where technology has advanced so far as to make people redundant. mass boredom and over crowding leads to the neccesity of the judges.

If you were to mash up mad max and judge dredd then mad max would take place in the cursed earth, the radioactive wastelands between the mega cities. Th ejudges use flying h wagons as some of the housing blocks are a couple of miles high. it would look more like bade runner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

no its a dystopian future in the 22nd century where technology has advanced so far as to make people redundant. mass boredom and over crowding leads to the neccesity of the judges.
    I didn't realise that, consider me educated now tho.
    If you were to mash up mad max and judge dredd then mad max would take place in the cursed earth, the radioactive wastelands between the mega cities. Th ejudges use flying h wagons as some of the housing blocks are a couple of miles high. it would look more like bade runner
    I was just using it as a refrence for the non sensical vehicles for the setting. A mash up would be very bad me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Been a 2000AD and Dredd fan for the best part of 30 years and so far this movie makes the Stallone one look like gold :( I hope the script and acting nail it as the costumes and setting look like ass.

mega-city-one-justice-department-trucks-dredd-2012-01-1024x682.jpg

Surely they cannot be H wagons. In the comics the H wagons could fly and were not tied down to one look or vehicle type, but they could all fly.

Maybe what is in the pic are meant to be Pat wagons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They can't be real, i mean, clearly a hilux?

Is he trying todo a Chris nolan on it ans set in the the "real" world to an extent.

Mellor wrote: »
    They can't be real, i mean, clearly a hilux?

Is he trying todo a Chris nolan on it ans set in the the "real" world to an extent.

I wonder could they be used in some kind of flashback opening scene? Maybe to show the origin of the law system in Mega City One etc., then it goes forward to the 22nd century.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The film is very low budget, lower than the Stallone film, so I don't think there's going to be any flying cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

No Matter how much I look at this, Urban just looks like a guy going to a fancy dress party.

Yeah, the H Wagons look crap, that and the Lawmaster pic that went around a while ago don't exactly inspire me with a lot of confidence about it...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

The most important things are getting Dredd's character right and conveying the nature of life in Mega City One. If they do that right, I'm not really bothered if their budget means there's no flying H Wagons.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I'm a big fan of Karl Urban but whenever he is a main character, the film tends to get low ratings or they tend to look like straight to dvd movies.. so maybe this film wont be a blockbuster type movie then..

examples would be, doom, priest and the chronicles of riddick ( saying this im a huge fan of each of those movies though)

At least following the movie news has made me rediscover Dredd all over again, after growing away from it in what now seems like another life - such a character, setting, etc...

Altho my pick for Dredd would've been Ray Stevenson (check out Outpost and The Punisher), I'll give Urban the benefit of the doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

In an interview with Shave Magazine, Urban explained it is a "setup film... It's about the day in the life of Dredd as he puts his rookie, Anderson, through the paces to see if she is worthy or not of becoming a Judge."[18] It wouldn't be based on any specific comic book plot but would be a "amalgamation of stories"

I d'ont know, was'nt the Stallone movie an "amalgamation of stories" as well ? Rico & Angel Gang ? Not very good either.

I would rather see a single plot, eg the current Dredd story in 2000ad would be very suitable, "Day of Chaos", where the Sovs are planning to release a virus on the city.

Having read Dredd for such a long time I'm a bit worried that they will botch it up again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Advertisement