Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Pakistan- test series thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Should be a good day today. This is the biggest test of the Pakistani batting so far in this series; if they can go on and put up a good score then they can answer all their critics and put England in a really tough position. If they fail in the same way that they have been doing then they are opening themselves up for more criticism. For me today decides the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Like the series to date, ease of batting will depend on cloud cover. We saw yesterday batting got easier (along with older ball) when sun came out. Today will be no different.

First half of day may be more sunny than cloudy and Anderson and co. may not get movement. Swan may well have a say today.

See Sat24 for current satellite view.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

A good day for Pakistan. Once again Yousef showed his true class to score 54 (i think). Shame he did not go on. Fair play to Swann for going over the wicket.

Azhar benefitted from having Yousef at the crease to keep him calm. I am still convinced that if Yousef was not playing then Pakistan would have callopsed.

Umar Akmal had a rush of blood and in the process got himself out, 3 balls before new ball was due. I reckon if he had been around for new ball then Pakistan would have got a lead over 150 +.

Anway, Game is well poised with Struass gone. Tomorrow will be a good day to finally watch real tough test cricket .

Under the cloudy conditions I can see England's top order crumbling again. Pakistan may well get clear conditions for the chase and pull it off

I think Pakistan are in the driving seat providing they bowl well today. Id love to see Cook battle hard to get a century and put England in a strong position; it would kill two birds with one stone in that it would give him confidence and answer his critics and also potentially put England in a match winning position.

If Pakistan dont bowl well this morning however and England can put up a lead of 200+ I think all the pressure is back on Pakistan. The way their batting line up has been playing Im not sure Id be particularly backing them to keep it together to knock off 200 or 250 runs to win the game. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

listening to the test on the radio
    Michael Vaughan seems to be missing from the commentary team - has he left the radio team?

EDIT - he's there but he still doesn't seem to be there too often. maybe he's doing some TV too????

Anyway - Question answered

maybe he's doing some TV too????
    He does TV for same test even when on the radio commentary team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Cook salvages his career and books place on Ashes tour.....not that the Aussies will be quaking in their boots at the thought of Cook opening:D

England 124 ahead with 5 wickets left....I reckon they already have more than enough to win this match!

I would suggest England are going to need a lead of at least 200 before they can consider themselves to be in any ways in the driving seat. Those last two wickets really threw the cat among the pigeons; England were looking comfortable to put up a big lead and all of a sudden its swung back to Pakistan again.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »
    Under the cloudy conditions I can see England's top order crumbling again.
    For slightly different reasons they have crumbled though I didn't bank on a Cook century.

Game on and I'm not writing Pakistan off. Swan is key

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

What the hell happened during tea?

Since then we've had 7 overs, 4 wickets and 12 runs!

Pakistan favourites now if they can get rid of Prior, Swann and Broad without too much fuss.

The tail has some serious wagging to do!

7 catches for Kamran Akmal.
    This is what let Pakistan down last test, had thay held their catches

no. 8 for K Akmal

Off for bad light :(

England 221/9 after being 156/2 & 194/3
    146 lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Thought this was funny; from BBC Sport:
    The collapse continued as Paul Collingwood played a flat-footed drive and edged through to the keeper, while Eoin Morgan was beaten by Ajmal's arm ball which drifted into another sizeable gap between bat and pad as the Irishman prodded forward.
    Might be reading too much into it, but sounds like a bit of an Andy Murray complex going on. English when he scores a ton, Irish when he gets out cheaply!

Nah to be fair whenever Sky or BBC talk about Morgan he is always "the Dubliner" or "the Irishman". It would take some doing to even try and claim him as one of their own, regardless of what jersey he is wearing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

djimi wrote: »
    Nah to be fair whenever Sky or BBC talk about Morgan he is always "the Dubliner" or "the Irishman". It would take some doing to even try and claim him as one of their own, regardless of what jersey he is wearing!

Aye, no malice is involved. Boycott has ALWAYS referred to him as the Irishman even when heaping immense praise on him.:o

Meagre chase, but if anyone will **** this up, it would be Pakistan. :pac:

The Pakistanis doing it easy...57 for 1 chasing 148.....surely there's another twist in the tale;)

• Advertisement

booth70 wrote: »
    The Pakistanis doing it easy...57 for 1 chasing 148.....surely there's another twist in the tale;)

57 for 2 now....here we go

Only 17 to go....but the two Akmals who havent got a run between them all summer at the crease.....its not over yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Kamran Akmal gone for 0, LBW to Swann, 16 still needed...

12 minutes later and still 16 needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Yeah four maiden overs in a row :D, England are 5/1 in running, Pakistan are holding out for the draw ha...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

England were 47/5 at one stage but similar to last week they've managed claw things back, 185/7 now mostly down to a 80 run partnership between Broad and Trott. Ducks for Collingwood, Morgan and Pieterson (first ball)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

England were 47/5 at one stage but similar to last week they've managed claw things back, 185/7 now mostly down to a 80 run partnership between Broad and Trott. Ducks for Collingwood, Morgan and Pieterson (first ball)

342-7 approaching the close of Day 2, tons for Trott and Broad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Broad hit a century today.

Didn't think he had it in him.
    Speaks well for Englands Batting order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Broad hit a century today.

Didn't think he had it in him.
    Speaks well for Englands Batting order.

Trott is infuriating at times, but if it works , don't change it eh ? great to see broad get a century.

• Advertisement

433/7...C'mon Straussy....you have enough...declare and move the match forward....probably waiting for both to get 200's:)

England have won the series but that still dosen't hide their batting problems ahead of the Ashes.....the one saving grace probably is Autralia's pie-chuckers are nowhere as good as the Pakistan bowlers:)

Advertisement