Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord looking for mattress cleaning advice.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

No this is not and as I said the tenents responsible should have been held to account, for the OP it is too late at this stage, my point was simply about what people actually percieve to be acceptable with respect to mattresses.

Hmmmm.... on a reread, the OP says he is renting out his own house, so presumably there are no tenants to charge for the damage and the urine stains are his own. Nice that he wants to pass his 5 year old urine stained mattress onto tenants, says a lot about the kind of landlord he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,948 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hmmmm.... on a reread, the OP says he is renting out his own house, so presumably there are no tenants to charge for the damage and the urine stains are his own. Nice that he wants to pass his 5 year old urine stained mattress onto tenants, says a lot about the kind of landlord he will be.

I believe you are correct, doesn't sound like a good start to landlording... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

You know what... I was doing some ironing the other night and I noticed similar stains on the ironing board. And I've never slept on the ironing board!!!

So, I guess my presumption was wrong, those stains could be anything at all.

So, any other posters able to stay on-topic and answer my question, i.e. "...what product did you use?"

To throw a bit of reality into this situation...

If you Bing "how to remove stains from a ", mattress is the third predictive fill... after toilet and bathtub.

• Advertisement

Gautama wrote: »

If you Bing "how to remove stains from a ", mattress is the third predictive fill... after toilet and bathtub.

So what? Stop trying to normalise a disgusting irresponsible behaviour.

No one disputes that mattresses get urine stains, but to want to use a 5 year old stained mattress for a tenancy says a whole lot about the type of landlord that you will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There are plenty of things you can Bing which will come up as top ranked predictions, for instance if you Bing 'how do you kill", the first item is '11 million people'.

Being a popular search term is not relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

That is fking rotten and sickening behaviour. If I have ever been given a piss stained mattress, you'd be cleaning puke from it too.

Make sure you advertise there is a piss stained mattress provided. Cause thats not fair on anyone to sleep on and they should stay well away.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Leading on from this and i'm unsure if this should be a seperate thread. Do people then think it is acceptable for the/a landlord to charge the tenent the complete price of a new mattress should they stain (urine) the old one. As an example in my own place the mattress 100% has a urine stain from when a newborn left down on it let rip.

I be interested in peoples views as everyone is of the opinion that a stained mattress is to be replaced, but do people think it acceptable then for the landlord to charge the tenants the cost of a new mattress as they stained the old one. I wonder how PTRB would view it.

our three mattresses were brand new when we moved in,two are perfect but one has a few stains from our three year old having the odd accident and spilling bottles over the past two years.we have a plastic sheet under her normal one but due to her doing tumbles in her sleep its only worked nine times out of ten so when I move I will be fine with my landlady keeping a small portion of my deposit to replace it,actually ill probably replace it myself first rather then have any argument about it.If it is new and you damage it you should replace it,its only right.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

ameee wrote: »
    we have a plastic sheet under her normal one but due to her doing tumbles in her sleep its only worked nine times out of ten

I was using the (pampers?) bed-mats under my son's sheet and had the same problem, got a fitted sheet from Homestore which is plastic on one side and cotton on the other and haven't had a problem since - washes just fine too.

• Advertisement

Lots of replies. Some light and lots of heat!
    It would be remiss of me not to let you know what I did.

Well, I decided to buy a new mattress. There's a store near me selling quality mattresses at reduced prices. So I collected my dole and went in there. €190! I was €2 short but haggled them to €170. I said I'd drop in later when I had the van with me, and I offered a deposit, but she said not to worry about it, just pay the full amount in the afternoon.

So I sent a txt to my tenant to say that I'd be around the following morning with a new mattress. That the old one was stained, etc., and I'd decided to replace it. She replied that it was fine, not to worry about it, that it was comfortable and there was no need to replace it!

Aren't I glad that I sent that txt! Saved myself €170 and saved me having to make €18 last for a week.

And what's the moral of the story? I dunno if stories have morals, but I think I should have posed my original question to her, the actual subject, in the first instance. My post here is something of secondary relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...Aren't I glad that I sent that txt! Saved myself €170 and saved me having to make €18 last for a week.

And what's the moral of the story? I dunno if stories have morals, but I think I should have posed my original question to her, the actual subject, in the first instance. My post here is something of secondary relevance.

Lesson learned. That said if the tenant is a keeper you could offer things like this later to hang on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Lots of replies. Some light and lots of heat!
    It would be remiss of me not to let you know what I did.

Well, I decided to buy a new mattress. There's a store near me selling quality mattresses at reduced prices. So I collected my dole and went in there. €190! I was €2 short but haggled them to €170. I said I'd drop in later when I had the van with me, and I offered a deposit, but she said not to worry about it, just pay the full amount in the afternoon.

So I sent a txt to my tenant to say that I'd be around the following morning with a new mattress. That the old one was stained, etc., and I'd decided to replace it. She replied that it was fine, not to worry about it, that it was comfortable and there was no need to replace it!

Aren't I glad that I sent that txt! Saved myself €170 and saved me having to make €18 last for a week.

There's a lot wrong with this post. How are you entitled to full dole if you have a rental income? You should have money to cover these things as a landlord from the rent. What happens if the washing machine breaks tomorrow? Or cooker? etc.

wyndham wrote: »
    There's a lot wrong with this post. How are you entitled to full dole if you have a rental income? You should have money to cover these things as a landlord from the rent. What happens if the washing machine breaks tomorrow? Or cooker? etc.

+1

One wonders where the tenants deposit is.

+1

On deposit, you'd hope. Its not meant to be used for repairs.

BostonB wrote: »
    On deposit, you'd hope. Its not meant to be used for repairs.

You would hope. But given this thread, youd probably be left wondering.

There's a lot wrong with this post.
    Not if you know the full story.
    How are you entitled to full dole if you have a rental income?
    Dunno, I applied for it as I was unemployed.
    Though I have a rental income, I also have a mortgage on the property (which I moved out of when my employment of a decade with the one employer came to an end).
    The monthly rent is marginally more than the monthly mortgage repayment. However, as I will be taxed on the monthly rent (not one the monthly rent minus the monthly mortgage), I actually have a negative rental income.

You should have money to cover these things as a landlord from the rent.

Fortunately the tax is not paid 'til next year, so I've a bit of breathing room. Then there's the insurance and the interest on the deposit. It's tight, I'll give you that.
    What happens if the washing machine breaks tomorrow? Or cooker? etc.

I can fix these myself.

+1

In a high (ish) interest savings account.

I think it's the law to have the entire deposit in a dedicated account, isn't it?

I know that in the USA it is the law, or in Massachusetts anyway. And when you get your deposit back, you are also entitled to the interest!

I got the impression it was a new rental. So the OP may not have the rent/deposit in place yet. Or indeed might simply want to not use them if they don't have to yet. The problem is a stereotypical LL isn't short of money. They sleep on mountains of cash and rent out hovels for vast sums. No one does it on a shoestring starting out, or if they end up in that situation for what ever reason.

BostonB wrote: »
    The problem is a stereotypical LL isn't short of money.

Very true.

Think of all those nouveau LLs that bought using mortgages during the boom. Now think of their tenants. That's yet another potential time bomb.

I'm not one of these, my head is above water, rent just covering mortgage, only one property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement