Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor [Netflix]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Did anyone see the article that said at the end,
    it wasnt as happy as it was made out as it looked like they didnt actually leave the house, and they are still in the red room!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Fifth episode felt like one of the saddest episodes of anything I've seen in some time. Almost lost for words after it.

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought that. I found that episode utterly devastating. I think its impact is even more potent seeing
    Nell as a cute energetic child whilst also knowing what will happen to her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sixth episode was the highlight for me, from episode four to nine they knocked it out of the park.

The extended sequence in the funeral home (in episode six) with the thunder storm was incredibly atmospheric, really gave the surround sound system a good work out :)

Just watched that one. That particular sequence very much felt like a piece of theatre in its delivery, style - with the family strife cranked up to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Just finished the series. Well, that was a load of old nonsense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Just finished the series. Well, that was a load of old nonsense

Yeah, it wasn't like Transformes at all..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Watched it over the weekend. Really fantastic. I’d echo everyone’s applause for episode six. The set piece in the parlour was a world beater.

The wrap up was dangerously near hammy. The crap ending has been a down fall for so many horrors over the last few years. That said, it was certainly more drama than horror.

The intermingling of story’s made it so compelling. I said to my missus it is definitely one that will be fascinating to revisit and take a second viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Best TV show I've watched in a long time, episode 6 was a feat of amazing production and technical skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Loved it from start to finish, i kinda echo what was said on the previous page in that the last episode was the weakest. I felt it was tinkered/extended to open up more seasons, which is likely why the finish wasn't as strong as it could have been, though in saying that, it was still great in my book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Season 2 will be The Haunting Of Bly Manor.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/haunting-bly-manor-netflix-hill-house-sequel-will-adapt-turn-screw/
    ...based on Henry James’ novel The Turn Of The Screw. The original story was set in Essex, following a governess at a country mansion who becomes convinced that the building is haunted while caring for two children – themes which certainly resonate with the tale told in Hill House. The new series is set to arrive in 2020, and will see Flanagan return as creator alongside Trevor Macy as executive producer

• Registered Users Posts: 86,079 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Henry Thomas will return for Season 2, The Haunting of Bly Manor along with Oliver Jackson-Cohen and Kate Siegel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

This is one of the worst shows I've ever seen a long while ago I watched the first two episodes and hated it but because of the reviews I thought there must be more to this show so I recently came back to it.

6 episodes in I'm now satisfied that there is not more to this show, this is a show based on upper middle class drama, I don't know what soaps are like in the US but this is exactly how I imagined it.

This is the least scary show I've ever seen, I've seen in reviews that people are vomiting watching this show, I mean that must be some kind of joke right? This show uses the most old fashion cliche horror tactics of all time and horror is barely even a part of the show, it's nothing but a pathetic jump scare thrown in every half hour in between all the middle class drama going on.

Please help me get a grasp of how this show is considered good, if you liked this show or were in anyway scared/unsettled by it please tell me what you're favourite horror movies are and what's the scariest horror movie you've seen just so I can get a grasp on the type of people who watch this show are.

By the way if this was classed as a soap opera I would not be complaining but it clearly is a soap opera but they label it something else to trick people like me into wasting hours of their lives.

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,528 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full Trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Finished this last night.

I thought overall that the story had potential, but it felt so dragged out, I honestly found it very difficult to concentrate during certain episodes (particularly the final two).

I was ok with it being not as scary as Hill House if thats what they were going for, but still much preferred Hill House overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Finished it last night. My wife enjoyed it particularly as stories began to merge towards the end but it definitely suffers from second season syndrome, it also borrows far too heavily the same techniques employed by season 1.

It also employed the most liberal use of plot armour in the final episode that was completely unnecessary.

its not a horror story, it’s a love story
    was a cop out too.
    as a new Dad the faceless child ghost's back story completely broke me though, that episode was fantastic

I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it. That said, it doesn't quite have the emotional heft of Hill House, imo. The kids are very good, though the young lad's a little fecker alright. I do like the setting.

I'm suspicious of
    Mrs. Grose because she's not eaten a thing on screen, that I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

1huge1 wrote: »
    Finished this last night.

I thought overall that the story had potential, but it felt so dragged out, I honestly found it very difficult to concentrate during certain episodes (particularly the final two).

I was ok with it being not as scary as Hill House if thats what they were going for, but still much preferred Hill House overall.

Could have been told in five episodes.. Not as good as season 1. Zero scare moments. But decent story.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Wasn't impressed by this at all. Didn't find it scary nor the story particularly intriguing and it was far too drawn out. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I found it like they nearly didnt know how to end it?
    A lot of plot holes from the start didn't get resolved.

Overall it was Ok, but the last 2 eps seemed very dis-connected from the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Ah I was disappointed enough with it. The first season was much better. The story was nice and I enjoyed the last episode. Not scary at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

There have been several movies and TV adaptations of The Turn of the Screw, even an opera by Benjamin Britten but nothing beats the original.

The Innocents hit our screens in 1961. It was a stunning film superbly photographed in black-and-white CinemaScope. So as not to ruin the atmosphere Fox even dispensed with the Fox Fanfare.

The opening is on a black screen with the haunting "Oh Willow Waly" on the soundtrack. The ending is quite a shock but the audience was left "wondering". There was much discussion in those days as to what exactly was going on. Even Deborah Kerr who gave her finest acting experience asked director Jack Clayton what was it really all about and she was told to work it our for herself.

I watched Bly Manor with interest and found it it quite good early on. It seemed to me that Mike Flanagan, the creator, may well have been an ardent fan of The Innocents including the song and set out to weave a story that might attempt to explain what MIGHT have been going on. If that WAS the case then he didn't succeed.

That said, I thought the first, maybe, 6 episodes were very good but it lost its way after that.

If I hadn't seen The Innocents all those years ago I probably would have enjoyed it all but, here we are, nearly 60 years later and we still don't know what was really going on.

Possibly, the slow pace of the original might not appeal to modern audiences but anyone who considers themselves a movie buff should not miss it. Fortunately, it's all there for free on youtube in all its black and white CinemaScopic glory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0P4yNjMUvA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Christ, I think that's me done with this Haunting series....can't handle those bad buzz endings anymore. :eek:

I know the final shot is meant to give some kind of comfort but it did the opposite for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am on Episode 6 of this Bly Manor series and I have to say its an absolute chore.
    People told me it was good but I don't know if its some kinda emperors new clothes nonsense. It's hard work for very little gain.
    They just need to start explaining what is going on much earlier because I have stopped caring what happens or who gets hurt.
    Actually it has become rather silly. Maybe there will be a big reveal (I think i have guessed it) but it will be far too late to save the series.
    I rarely give up on a series but I was close to doing so last night. So much repetition too - like they are trying to save money. Get on with it!!

7.5 on IMDB...the world has gone mad.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I am on Episode 6 of this Bly Manor series and I have to say its an absolute chore.
    People told me it was good but I don't know if its some kinda emperors new clothes nonsense. It's hard work for very little gain.
    They just need to start explaining what is going on much earlier because I have stopped caring what happens or who gets hurt.
    Actually it has become rather silly. Maybe there will be a big reveal (I think i have guessed it) but it will be far too late to save the series.
    I rarely give up on a series but I was close to doing so last night. So much repetition too - like they are trying to save money. Get on with it!!

7.5 on IMDB...the world has gone mad.

I'm so delighted to read this. It's absolute drivel.i got to episode 6 and I just said no more Life is to short. It's rubbish. God awful rubbish.
    7.5 me hole.

I'm so delighted to read this. It's absolute drivel.i got to episode 6 and I just said no more Life is to short. It's rubbish. God awful rubbish.
    7.5 me hole.

I finished it. It's appalling nonsense. I dont even want to talk about it. Just glad its over. Quickly forgotten.

I finished it. It's appalling nonsense. I dont even want to talk about it. Just glad its over. Quickly forgotten.

Do you think I should finish i? It's so hard to watch something that just isn't entertaining you

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I got to episode 6 as well and I’ve given up. Cannot believe people were recommending it. It’s not even that scary or tense. Every single one of the characters are irritating me.
    Life is way too short to keep watching stuff that doesnt interest me......I learned that the hard way years ago when I became sucked in by “Lost”....never again!!!

Do you think I should finish i? It's so hard to watch something that just isn't entertaining you

No. I finished out of stubbornness. Mindless.

• Advertisement

The first one was good. I had reasonably high hopes for bly

Advertisement