Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President 'The Donald' Trump and Surprising Consequences - Mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Amerika wrote: »
    This Women’s March... I don't get it. What was the purpose of the demonstrations? It just seemed to be an embarrassing vulgar display with no coherent reason for marching

Defunding planned parenthood will directly effect millions of women. It's the largest cancer screening service in the country.

There's one reason.

Then there's obamacare. The marches have already had a significant effect in sending a message that it needs to be treated carefully not some vague promises of a replacement sometime in the future.

What else?

It was a message to send to a thin skinned misogynistic narcissist that he may not be as popular as he thinks he is and that he needs the support of congressmen who will be up for election in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

inforfun wrote: »
    I said people are stressed on the first day at the probably biggest job in the world. I didnt say the Obama's were just as stressed. Neither did i imply that.

Of course you did. You put up a picture of them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

This Women’s March... I don't get it. What was the purpose of the demonstrations?
    So we'd get to see posters like this :)

C2yThzIUoAAeAQ9.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Defunding planned parenthood will directly effect millions of women. It's the largest cancer screening service in the country.

There's one reason.

Then there's obamacare. The marches have already had a significant effect in sending a message that it needs to be treated carefully not some vague promises of a replacement sometime in the future.

What else?

It was a message to send to a thin skinned misogynistic narcissist that he may not be as popular as he thinks he is and that he needs the support of congressmen who will be up for election in two years.

Wouldn't they have been better mobilising in the run up to the election? I mean, it's a little silly protesting against Trump after he's already won the election. They presumably had some sense of entitlement; that Hilary would just waltz up Pennsylvania Av. and start throwing abortion pills around like confetti. Never gonna happen ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

There's one reason.

What else?

Are you referring to the executive order to reinstate The Mexico City Policy which stops taxpayer funding of groups that perform and promote abortions overseas but does not stop non-abortion international assistance. I believe cancer screening might fall under the category of non-abortion international assistance.

And in the US, Planned Parenthood Federation of America is the country’s largest abortion provider with affiliates performing more than 300,000 abortions per year, which amounts to approximately one out of every three in the country.

That march was little more than a liberal women’s march. Divisiveness, exclusiveness, and politicization was running the show. Shunned were feminist pro-life groups, catholic women groups, and other like groups.

And I saw a poll from yesterday (I believe) that showed Trump's approval rating now at 57% and on a growing trend. True he might not be not be as popular as he thinks he is, but looks like he might just be getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So, if the marchers should have given up the day Trump won the election, does that mean the Tea Party should have kept stumm about Obamacare? After all, they should have mobilised before Obama won in 2008 and 2012. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

And I saw a poll from yesterday (I believe) that showed Trump's approval rating now at 57% and on a growing trend. True he might not be not be as popular as he thinks he is, but looks like he might just be getting there.

I think this falls under "Alternative Fact" https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/3-days-into-trumps-presidency-45-percent-of-americans-disapprove-of-his-performance/ Three Days Into Trump’s Presidency, 45 Percent Of Americans Approve Of His Performance, but hey it is up to earlier!

So, if the marchers should have given up the day Trump won the election, does that mean the Tea Party should have kept stumm about Obamacare? After all, they should have mobilised before Obama won in 2008 and 2012. :rolleyes:
    The Tea Party began as a protest movement against GW Bush's spending at the end of his reign. And the protests had a coherent message... focusing on eliminating excessive taxes and excessive spending, abiding by the US Constitution, and reducing the size and power of an abusive government. What was the coherent message of the Women’s March? They hate all men, other then the men who were transitioning to become women?

it's a little silly protesting against Trump after he's already won the election.

It's not a protest about the election. It's a demonstration of the level of opposition to the president's policies.

It's a message. A big message. And it appears to have been heard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

That march was little more than a liberal women’s march.

Oh noes!

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    I think this falls under "Alternative Fact" https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/3-days-into-trumps-presidency-45-percent-of-americans-disapprove-of-his-performance/ Three Days Into Trump’s Presidency, 45 Percent Of Americans Approve Of His Performance, but hey it is up to earlier!

Remember when ya’ll were touting fivethirtyeight as the be-all and end-all authority on the election? And I was touting the IBD/TIPP poll as something we should be really looking at (which had Trump leading) as it was one of the most accurate polls in the prior election? Thought I was crazy, didn't you?

So you can ignore the evidence I present, but do so at your own peril. ;)

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jan24

It's mystery isn't it?

Apparently they think you should only criticize a president right before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Harika wrote: »

This story is a little misleading as it says "it’s the lowest job approval rating for any new president since at least Harry Truman in 1945" which is ambiguous, since it could be read as saying that Truman's was lower - but in fact it means the lowest ever measured, period, including Truman in 1945.

And it is a LOT lower, the lowest previously measured was Dubya at +32, highest Truman at +84, while Trump's is a big fat zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Billy86 wrote: »
    Such as?

Enough .

The Tea Party began as a protest movement against GW Bush's spending at the end of his reign. And the protests had a coherent message... focusing on eliminating excessive taxes and excessive spending, abiding by the US Constitution, and reducing the size and power of an abusive government. What was the coherent message of the Women’s March? They hate all men, other then the men who were transitioning to become women?

Nice strawmanning there. :rolleyes:

In fairness, you could argue that the Tea Party began prior to Obama...as Ron Paul's Presidential campaign, before being hijacked after Obama's inauguration.

It's mystery isn't it?

Apparently they think you should only criticize a president right before the election.

IMO, the time to protest Trump was when these women went into the ballot box on election day. But after he won and before any of his administration policies go into effect... Come on! The fact is Trump got 53% of the white women’s vote. This ‘protest’ appears to be little more than a bunch of Trump hating people who resent the fact that he actually won.

Nice strawmanning there. :rolleyes:

In fairness, you could argue that the Tea Party began prior to Obama...as Ron Paul's Presidential campaign, before being hijacked after Obama's inauguration.

As a member of the Tea Party, you'd think I'd remember being hijacked if it actually happened.

The fact is Trump got 53% of the white women’s vote.

Ah, case closed then. Because Trump's not getting a majority of women's votes (or American's votes) is just a distraction from the real concern.

alastair wrote: »
    Ah, case closed then. Because Trump's not getting a majority of women's votes (or American's votes) is just a distraction from the real concern.
    So, what is the real concern, then?

• Advertisement

So, what is the real concern, then?

Something racial - by the looks of it. You brought colour into the equation, not me. Do tell.

alastair wrote: »
    Something racial - by the looks of it. You brought colour into the equation, not me. Do tell.

Buy the looks of the pictures of the Women's Marches, the vast majority of women were white, and white women made up the vast majority of the women vote. Why do you people always go straight for the racist tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see that Donald trump has signed executive orders to restart the pipelines that were stopped. The keystone and the the North Dakota one. I've not seen much reaction the keystone one but the North Dakota one the native Americans are pissed off.

Buy the looks of the pictures of the Women's Marches, the vast majority of women were white, and white women made up the vast majority of the women vote. Why do you people always go straight for the racist tag?

Possibly because you were attempting to make some sort of a point (still unclear to me) entirely on the basis of race? Just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see that Donald trump has signed executive orders to restart the pipelines that were stopped. The keystone and the the North Dakota one. I've not seen much reaction the keystone one but the North Dakota one the native Americans are pissed off.

That was a big deal for those people. Protesting for a long time and they got excited when their movement was making inroads. Trump has derailed the whole movement with a stroke of a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    That was a big deal for those people. Protesting for a long time and they got excited when their movement was making inroads. Trump has derailed the whole movement with a stroke of a pen.

His donors are already getting their money's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 39,936 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see Donald trump has placed a ban on EPA employees releasing info to social media or taking to reporters. So is he trying to control the flow on info from the EPA ?

Akrasia wrote: »
    His donors are already getting their money's worth

The swamp just got ten feet deeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rgossip30 wrote: »
    Enough .

You say you disagree with some of his policies, so it would be interesting to know which you do disagree with in a thread about the president and policies he is going to be looking to enact, in the politics forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,968 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Tea Party began as a protest movement against GW Bush's spending at the end of his reign.

Alternative Facts? The Tea Party was launched in 2009. Thanks for playing.
    Remember when ya’ll were touting fivethirtyeight as the be-all and end-all authority on the election? And I was touting the IBD/TIPP poll as something we should be really looking at (which had Trump leading) as it was one of the most accurate polls in the prior election? Thought I was crazy, didn't you?

So you can ignore the evidence I present, but do so at your own peril. ;)

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_jan24

538 still had his victory as statistically possible. He rolled a 6 and won. Good for him, but it was predicted in the model.
    What was the coherent message of the Women’s March? They hate all men, other then the men who were transitioning to become women?
    Ron Swanson is not trans.

C20dxa6XgAAi4ot.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement