Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently? 3D!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The Vigil

An unsettling horror film about a Jewish man who agrees to act at short notice as a Shomer (staying the night in a house to watch over a dead body).
    Very good set up for a scary movie.
    There are loud bangs coming from upstairs and the previous Shomer has fled the house in terror. The dead man’s wife is a creepy old woman suffering from alzheimer’s who sneaks around the house.
    It’s deliberately paced and builds up the dread while not being afraid to give the odd jump scare.
    I liked the ending too. Reminded me of It Follows or The Babadook in its approach to the genre.

One Cut of the Dead

A bonkers Japanese zombie movie.
    A film crew making a zombie film come under attack from real zombies. At least that’s the set up.
    It’s very hard to talk about this film without spoiling it. I knew it took a swerve in it’s second act but I wasn’t expecting what happened.
    A unique film in a way and very funny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pixelburp wrote: »
    The accents did regularly threaten to sink my enjoyment though.
    I was cool with the accents, mainly because I have no frame of reference as to what an Irish accent sounded like 150-odd years ago (of which there were probably many). I was more than happy to roll with it.

Richard Gere or Gerry Butler don't have the same excuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dades wrote: »
    I was cool with the accents, mainly because I have no frame of reference as to what an Irish accent sounded like 150-odd years ago (of which there were probably many). I was more than happy to roll with it.

Richard Gere or Gerry Butler don't have the same excuse.

That might have been true were there NO Irish actors in the film, but Brendan Gleeson and Liam Neeson made the fake accents stick out. Even Day-Lewis' oddly affected, but suitably ... I dunno, embryonic(?) American accent felt authentic. Like a work in progress, appropriate for the time. DeCaprio and Diaz just came off like they were doing generic Oirish brogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Brilliant. Didn't know this existed. Going to try to find that somewhere to watch.
    Other than what was produced in '90s, they have some catalogue. Real return to form over the past 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDc5Px5f0OE

The three parts are on YouTube.

I can't say I know too much about their 90's efforts and beyond though. I parted ways with them around 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son', which was an album I never liked too much. I sorta grew out of them I spose. But they were a great band for a kid to get into and the whole package is so attractive to young lads. The great covers, Eddie, brilliant guitar playing, Niko's drumming (and Dave Lombardo) is what got me into the sticks.

But beyond the 80's, I can't say that I paid too much attention. I still throw on 'Live After Death' the odd time, though, because it's probably the best example of a live album I can think of from any band.

It's amazing to think, anyway, that they'd just kept going and going, which is a rare enough thing. But it would be nice if they had continued with 'The History of..." beyond where the documentaries stopped, because there's 30 more years of history there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael'

Interesting documentary by Rob Garver on the famous film critic, Pauline Kael, that charts her journey from its humble start (a negative review of Chaplin's 'Limelight') to writing often controversial reviews for the New Yorker. Always a divisive figure in film criticism, and one who possessed a razor ship tongue, Kael at her height could slice one movie in half and help generate an audience for another. She could, at times, be absolutely merciless even about directors she liked and she had an impact that couldn't be underestimated. But she always remained an interesting read, even for people who vehemently disagreed with her opinion even if her opinions could often draw the most venomous flak - she was absurdly called an anti Semite because she said that Claude Lanzmann's interminable 'Shoah' was "bad filmmaking and bad history". She regularly affected film makers in a very real way too, as evidenced by David Lean's shell shocked aftermath from meeting her in a round table discussion of his films, who went on think question why he was even making films in the first place.

But Kael was far from being a snipe-style critic. She never set out to specifically destroy a film, just because, and likewise didn't shill for any particular studio either, despite (I'm sure) being approached to do so in the way that so many critics are. But she could be lethal about a film she didn't like or that didn't resonate with her to some degree.

It often appeared, too, that she was incapable of getting to grips with certain genres which was definitely one of her limitations and, aside from 1978's 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', I cannot immediately recall many favourable Sci-Fi or Horror movie reviews from her, although I'm sure there must be some. But, for instance, she was, at best, middling about 'Star Wars', didn't like '2001 A Space Odyssey', and loathed 'The Exorcist' (which I think mostly stemmed from her distaste of William Peter Blatty's book). All three examples are, rightly in my opinion, lauded today as great examples of cinema for various reasons. At the same time, though, she championed trashy movies and said that they had their place, which other (more lofty) critics often just dismissed without a single thought.

She would, as well, offer praise to films that were generally despised at the time. Her review of 'Bonnie and Clyde' genuinely helped make that film attain the classic status it enjoys today. Likewise, her positivity about 'Last Tango in Paris' was responsible for getting many bums on seats that would otherwise have not bothered.

Even today in the sea of Tom Dick and Harry film criticism that the web has allowed, or maybe even because of it, her reviews offer an important insight into alternative contemplations on the art form and they often challenge you to have a rethink about that classic movie you hold dear.

9/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Basket Case

Heard from numerous sources that this was a horror classic. Wasn't so convinced when it started up and I was greeted with some dodgy acting. Stuck with it and glad I did. It's a very cheap movie but it's got some really interesting ideas. The horror and gore are pretty schlocky but what carries it is you genuinely feel for the protagonist and his basket. Not amazing but an interesting film that's worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Decuc500 wrote: »
    One Cut of the Dead

A bonkers Japanese zombie movie.
    A film crew making a zombie film come under attack from real zombies. At least that’s the set up.
    It’s very hard to talk about this film without spoiling it. I knew it took a swerve in it’s second act but I wasn’t expecting what happened.
    A unique film in a way and very funny.

The end credits of this was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Basket Case

Heard from numerous sources that this was a horror classic. Wasn't so convinced when it started up and I was greeted with some dodgy acting. Stuck with it and glad I did. It's a very cheap movie but it's got some really interesting ideas. The horror and gore are pretty schlocky but what carries it is you genuinely feel for the protagonist and his basket. Not amazing but an interesting film that's worth a watch.

Frankenhooker by the same director is worth a view. Bizarre but interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Watched Saint Maud last night and I must admit I found it slightly awkward turning off the lights and locking up the house after... a genuinely creepy thought provoking horror.

And for anyone saying that is not a horror movie you need to check your genres. I don't shiver when I pick up my chainsaw, I just go and cut some wood with it, carefully and with gloves on, but you catch my drift.

But flickering candlelight, double meanings, bibles, things that go bump in the night, palliative care - they all scare the phuck out of me - bigtime.
    They leave it nice and open and mysterious at the end also. I like that , I want to not know what the phuck happened to such and such plotline, was it , wasn't it ? I want the mystery, it makes it more believable.

really enjoyed it also. Actually got shivers down my spine
    when Maud goes to revisit Amanda and Amanda starts speaking as the devil and Maud jumps backwards :eek:, and what an ending to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    The end credits of this was great too.

Yes, very clever.
    A film within a film within a film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Watched Light of my Life last night. Written, directed and starting Casey Affleck. Father and daughter trying to get by after a female only pandemic wipes out most of the world's women. Society has mostly fallen, and Affleck tries to disguise his daughter as his son to keep her safe.

It's a slow burn with serious The Last of Us / The Road / Children of Men vibes. It's not laden with set pieces or anything of the sort, and is mostly just about a father's love for his daughter. But I really enjoyed it - though I am a sucker for anything with even a hint of post-apocalyptic-ness to it.

Watched Palm Springs the night before. Not the usual Lonely Island fare you'd expect - sweet little zany rom-com with Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti stuck in an endless time loop on the day of her sister's wedding.

Watched Host last weekend. Group of friends try a séance over Zoom, so the whole film takes place on the platform. Was surprised that Rotten Tomatoes had it listed as #6 movie of 2020 in one of their editorials. It was a decent horror, I've certainly seen worse (but also a lot better too). Lots of "why would you keep recording / bring your laptop with you if that was really happening" moments, but I guess you have to suspend realism / authentic behaviour in a movie like this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I found out yesterday that the creators of One Cut Of The Dead made a short lockdown film last year called One Cut Of The Dead Mission: Remote, and it's on Youtube. It's more of a fun riff on the original film's idea than something that stands alone, so watch OCotD first and and then watch Mission: Remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the chicago seven with Eddie Redmayne , Sasha baron cohen , jeremy strong , mark rylance and michael keaton

based on the famous trial , solid courtroom drama combined with baron cohen doing his usual outrageous stuff now and again

6 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 32,524 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Willy's wonderland

The trailer made this look like it might be some mad OTT bit of Nic Cage fun.
    But it is poor....clearly the entire budget (what little they had) went on Cage. It all just felt so cheap and basic.
    The rest of the cast are absolutely f#cking awful (bar Beth Grant who is in a couple of scenes).

I honestly wouldn't waste your time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Almost Famous

I remember when this came out, all the glowing reviews and being really excited to see it and then not never actually getting to see it.

Glad a friend pushed me to watch it. It's an incredible film with great performances and a soundtrack to die for. Manages to really capture the excitement of that era of music perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭budgemook

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Almost Famous

I remember when this came out, all the glowing reviews and being really excited to see it and then not never actually getting to see it.

Glad a friend pushed me to watch it. It's an incredible film with great performances and a soundtrack to die for. Manages to really capture the excitement of that era of music perfectly.

Absolutely love this film and am jealous of you seeing it for the first time just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Dogs Don't Wear Pants
    Was on Film4 during the week, and I remembered seeing Mark Kermode talk good things about it (though his opinions clash more and more with me as time goes by).

3/5

One Cut of the Dead
    Thanks for the reminder here folks. Loved this, and by the end I was left with a big smile on my face.

4/5

Saint Frances
    On Netflix, real charming film with a great, cute and adorable performance from the child who plays Frances.

4/5

Another Round
    I hoped to love it more. It was good but felt it was missing something as it neared the end. It was a good watch all the same and Mads Mikkelsen's face has so much depth to it in his performances.

3.5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar

Real good craic , a fun , anything goes farce. Will Ferrel , Austin Powers , the more out there rom coms like Bridesmaids etc , its that kind of humor. Notes of Airplane in there too. Best I can describe it is as a stoner comedy for middle aged women. Great Morgan Freeman cameo half way in.

8/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Conversation

I've been meaning to get around to this for ages, and made time for it when I noticed it pop up on the iPlayer film list again recently. It's a slow burn but phenomenally well done - Hackman's turn as a taciturn, insular surveillance operative is a great example of show-dont-tell performance, and the film's willingness to take its time makes for some really engaging viewing. I think the only time I've seen in which sound design was used and integrated into the film itself this well was Berberian Sound Studio. A fantastic watch.

Charlie Bartlett

An oddity of a teen comedy, with pre-Star Trek Anton Yelchin, pre-Iron Man renaissance Robert Downey Jr and probably pre-2-Broke-Girls Kat Dennings. It's an odd film, tonally similar to 10 Things I Hate About You but not as good as that film, and yet it was a pleasant Sunday afternoon watch. Narratively it's a bit overstuffed and feels like it was a film whose script started out as a season of a tv series. Still, not bad if you go in with modest expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

One Cut of the Dead
    Thanks for the reminder here folks. Loved this, and by the end I was left with a big smile on my face.

4/5

I couldn't get into it. I love horror but just found it kind of silly. Turned off after 30 mins. Maybe I'll try stick it out since it gets talked up. I may have been in a mood :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

dubstepper wrote: »
    I couldn't get into it. I love horror but just found it kind of silly. Turned off after 30 mins. Maybe I'll try stick it out since it gets talked up. I may have been in mood :)

There is legitimately no worse movie on the planet to turn off after 30 minutes :pac:

It’s a film you simply will not understand in the slightest if you don’t see it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

dubstepper wrote: »
    I couldn't get into it. I love horror but just found it kind of silly. Turned off after 30 mins. Maybe I'll try stick it out since it gets talked up. I may have been in mood :)

As Johnny_Ultimate notes you just can't stop the movie that soon and say it was an honest assessment of it. I would say why but to spoil it would take away from it. I thought similar. While I enjoyed it at the start, it wasn't very good horror and felt a little off. There is a reason for that. Stick with it, believe us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"The Hard Way" (1979) Made for TV thriller.

Patrick McGoohan, Lee Van Cleef, Edna O'Brien, Donal McCann.

The%2BHard%2BWay.jpeg

On my Irish bucket list for a long time I finally managed to catch this on YouTube last night. I'm so glad that I didn't waste money on the DVD.

An Irish hitman (Patrick McGoohan) tries to retire from his profession but is blackmailed into doing one more job for his employer (Lee Van Cleef).

To call it slow moving would give new meaning to the description. Both McGoohan and Van Cleef appear genuinely burnt out (as opposed to acting) and the dialogue, what little there is of it, is strange and not just the accents. Edna O'Brien keeps appearing with a running commentary about her husband (McGoohan) which continues until the predictable ending. A cast of long departed Irish actors including Joe Lynch (Dinny from Glenroe), Donal McCann and even John Cowley (Tom Riordan) have small parts.

It's difficult to believe that Patrick McGoohan lasted until 2009 including a tour de force as Edward Longshanks in the 1995 movie "Braveheart", but Lee Van Cleef was genuinely nearing the end and died in 1989.

Worth watching if only to spot Irish locations as they were in 1979 as well as for some noticeable poor continuity. See if you can spot an example during one of the bar scenes. 2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 32,524 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar

Real good craic , a fun , anything goes farce. Will Ferrel , Austin Powers , the more out there rom coms like Bridesmaids etc , its that kind of humor. Notes of Airplane in there too. Best I can describe it is as a stoner comedy for middle aged women. Great Morgan Freeman cameo half way in.

8/10
    I watched that.....it is off the wall to say the least.
    Some great lines and scenes....the whole Trish thing on the plane had me in stitches.

I could really have done without the whole
    plot with the killer mosquitos was bizarre and not needed Wiig was fun though as the villain.
    Also not too sure about Jamie Dornan
    he isn't a natural comedic actor to say the least but I did love his absolutely insane song very lonely island
    Damon Wayans character was pointless too.
    I could have also done with some more of the talking group ha ha.
    Still a really good laugh though if you in the right mood.
    7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Nazis At The Centre Of The Earth

Good God!!!!

-1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Class Action Park - A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

Pretty wild tale, safety guidelines were a no, a time when kids weren't wimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Del.Monte wrote: »
    "The Hard Way" (1979) Made for TV thriller.

Patrick McGoohan, Lee Van Cleef, Edna O'Brien, Donal McCann.

On my Irish bucket list for a long time I finally managed to catch this on YouTube last night. I'm so glad that I didn't waste money on the DVD.

An Irish hitman (Patrick McGoohan) tries to retire from his profession but is blackmailed into doing one more job for his employer (Lee Van Cleef).

To call it slow moving would give new meaning to the description. Both McGoohan and Van Cleef appear genuinely burnt out (as opposed to acting) and the dialogue, what little there is of it, is strange and not just the accents. Edna O'Brien keeps appearing with a running commentary about her husband (McGoohan) which continues until the predictable ending. A cast of long departed Irish actors including Joe Lynch (Dinny from Glenroe), Donal McCann and even John Cowley (Tom Riordan) have small parts.

It's difficult to believe that Patrick McGoohan lasted until 2009 including a tour de force as Edward Longshanks in the 1995 movie "Braveheart", but Lee Van Cleef was genuinely nearing the end and died in 1989.

Worth watching if only to spot Irish locations as they were in 1979 as well as for some noticeable poor continuity. See if you can spot an example during one of the bar scenes. 2/10

I gave this a go last night as I generally enjoy anything with Patrick McGoohan in it. I could only manage the first 10 minutes and then gave up. The Edna O'Brien character's commentary drove me mad. I'll give it a go another time when I'm in the right mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Class Action Park - A documentary that focuses on a dangerously legendary water park and its slew of injuries and crimes along with child safety concerns.

Pretty wild tale, safety guidelines were a no, a time when kids weren't wimps.

Saw this a while ago. crazy place, would have loved it! Apparently the book is even crazier. i've had it on my to read list for a while just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Saw this a while ago. crazy place, would have loved it! Apparently the book is even crazier. i've had it on my to read list for a while just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Oh thanks I'll grab that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Another Round - Really enjoyed this. Great blend of humor and drama, with a great musical score. My second favourite of 2020 after Sound of Metal.

Advertisement