Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you from a well-to-do family?

Options
12346»

Comments

Doesn't make for a great story arc.

Dad just paid for this laptop that I'm chatting on loike!
    Ermagawd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Dad just paid for this laptop that I'm chatting on loike!
    Ermagawd

Awks momo

I'm not sure what well-to-do means, is it a matter of money, status or influence or some combination?

Both my parents are successful professionals and successfully instilled a good work ethic and decent values in myself and my siblings. Money wasn't a worry, but as a family we had a fairly understated lifestyle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 easyeasy

Nope, grew up in a flat in Ballymun. Left school when I was 13, was a little bollox for a few years.. Luckily got out of that environment by joining the army. Got lucky buying and selling a few houses and now live in a really nice area.

My kids are the first in my family to even finish secondary school!.. My son done an economics degree and is doing exceptionally well for himself and should never see a poor day.. My daughter is in her third year of her degree and she'll do similarly well for yourself.

So no, I'm not from a 'well to do' background. But I've broken out of that socio-economic background to set my kids up and no my grandchildren (when they start to arrive) can hopefully say 'Yes, I come from a well to do back ground'.

One of the best posts ive seen anywhere tbh!

Fair play man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Yes.

D'Mammy is a retired GP and D'Father is a retired civil servant for a country out foreign.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    No, was born to a working class family. However, my dad worked hard to buy a modest house in a decent area, and my mum ensured that I grew up to be a well spoken respectful person. So I turned out alright.

Coming from having nothing .............

There's lots of posts like this in here.
    You lived in a decent area, and your ole lad worked hard to had a job.
    Your mum was a stay at home mother and I'd presume you never went to bed without a dinner or went to school without a breakfast.

How can you call that coming from having nothing?

If you didn't turn out alright after than springboard you'd only have yourself to blame imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Augeo wrote: »
    There's lots of posts like this in here.
    You lived in a decent area, and your ole lad worked hard to had a job.
    Your mum was a stay at home mother and I'd presume you never went to bed without a dinner or went to school without a breakfast.

How can you call that coming from having nothing?

If you didn't turn out alright after than springboard you'd only have yourself to blame imo.

It a funny thing on boards and it must be shaped by the media or where have people picked up the idea. I.e that coming from a modest background or being brought up with very little except love and a decent education, mean's that some how you were disadvantaged and have done very well by 'over coming your background'. It very Americana too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I came from a decent family that came from tennant farming class.
    The occupations of my father/grandfathers/g grandfathers/gg grandfathers.

Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Famer
    Tennant Farmer
    Land owner Farmer

Landowner Farmer
    Landowner Farmer
    Landowner Farmer
    Landowner Publican

Shop owner
    Banker

Pharmacist

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Winterlong wrote: »
    I came from a decent family that came from tennant farming class.
    The occupations of my father/grandfathers/g grandfathers/gg grandfathers.

Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Farmer
    Tennant Famer
    Tennant Farmer
    Land owner Farmer

Landowner Farmer
    Landowner Farmer
    Landowner Farmer
    Landowner Publican

Shop owner
    Banker

Pharmacist

The more typical one would be form farming to teaches, nurses, and lower ranks of the civil services, to professional careers in the next generation in our family we are beginning to see the second to third generation of profession careers and some still farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Depends on the definition of well-to-do.

Not rich in the mansion/swimming pool sense, but relatively well-off, yes.

I really admire people from backgrounds with lots of hardship and very little opportunity forging ahead anyway through the obstacles and making better lives for themselves and their families, but I've no time for people who are simply working-class (gets confused with poor and disadvantaged - it isn't always) wearing that as a badge of honour and sneering at middle-class people. It's an accident of birth. Quite "in vogue" to use the term "middle-class" disparagingly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement