Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Hurricane Irma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That's not from Irma but footage from a previous weather event. If you see the comment on the link it's from a tornado.
    my apologies, still looks bad.

the airport is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looks like a downburst, crazy footage though.

Came across this one on youtube, not sure if they're trying to rescue the people behind the bus or just being incredibly stupid

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Another perspective of Irma.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rightwing wrote: »
    I always like to see the damage these storms can do. Harvey was good, lets see can this one do more.

That's a bit intense, I appreciate how these storms can be exciting for us weather enthusiasts, however this one will cause an immense amount of damage! Just remember all the lives of people who are affected by this!

Looking at it from a more scientific perspective, it's a truly amazing hurricane, one we probably won't see the likes of for many many more years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This guy is mad. Recording the storm in his pyjamas and no shoes on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just to put in context....

Sometimes people think we have hurricanes here....with descriptions of hurricane force winds and the likes.

The highest sustained wind ever recorded in Ireland was 131 kmph.

Irma has expected sustained winds of up to 295 kmph!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

This guy is mad. Recording the storm in his pyjamas and no shoes on!

Mental altogether.

However looking threw his feed I'm wondering why the fcuk he didn't evacuate, he doesn't seem to know a particularly large amount about the weather.

He's another video of inside an apartment that has the roof blown off it in several places.

Footage from Irma, although from the idiotic title of the video, it is hard to decipher whereabouts it was taken:

In fact, I wonder if this is actually footage from the hurricane, but either way, it is cool.

New Moon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

BBC reporting that Saint Martin and Saint Barts very badly damaged and there have been fatalities

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-latin-america-41177350

Is Berbuba still cut off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Footage from Irma, although from the idiotic title of the video, it is hard to decipher whereabouts it was taken:

In fact, I wonder if this is actually footage from the hurricane, but either way, it is cool.

It's pretty consistent with what I have seen in live feeds, so if it's not Irma, it's a similar Hurricane in the same region.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just to put in context....

Sometimes people think we have hurricanes here....with descriptions of hurricane force winds and the likes.

The highest sustained wind ever recorded in Ireland was 131 kmph.

Irma has expected sustained winds of up to 295 kmph!

NOAA had Debbie back in 61 as a Cat 1 by the time it hit Ireland.

Keep in mind that mean speeds in tropical hurricanes are measured over the a period on 1 min. Mean speeds during Debbie, while nowhere near as strong as beasts such as Irma, were measured over 10 mins, so getting hurricane forces winds measured over this much longer period is quite impressive for this part of the world, and did cause considerable damage and loss of life here.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭traco

Just on sky news now. Still no contact from Barbuda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Some footage of onboard the reconnaissance plane, inside the eye wall.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/905395444712398849/pu/vid/1280x720/D9Bwqo5bRC0mM0lN.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hal1 wrote: »

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/905395444712398849/pu/vid/1280x720/D9Bwqo5bRC0mM0lN.mp4
    Seriously need to have a screw lose to do that job...imagine having to fly straight forward into a cat 5/4 hurricane :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What damage is this likely to do to the western part of Puerto Rico? Near El Yunque National Park particularly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Irma has become the first hurricane to sustain 185 mph wind speed for 24 hours :eek:

http://news.sky.com/story/live-hurricane-irma-hits-caribbean-islands-11022807

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'll pass, even if it is a pretty cool sight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

harr wrote: »
    Seriously need to have a screw lose to do that job...imagine having to fly straight forward into a cat 5/4 hurricane :eek:

It sounds a lot more dangerous than it actually is. The winds are horizontally quite stable in a hurricane, the vertical winds in a regular thunderstorm are far more dangerous for a plane. Planes actually fly in hurricane force winds at high altitude all the time, you've probably been in them without even knowing!

It still is a pretty badass job though, I'd love to experience it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was listening to the BBC radio earlier and at that point the neighbouring island to Barbuda hadn't heard anything from it which is a very scary image.

This hurricane just makes me realise that however much we think we have nature under control. We really really haven't. If nature wants to be destructive there isn't a thing we can do to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

harr wrote: »

They must have to walk through doors sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was listening to the BBC radio earlier and at that point the neighbouring island to Barbuda hadn't heard anything from it which is a very scary image.

This hurricane just makes me realise that however much we think we have nature. We really really haven't. If nature wants to be destructive there isn't a thing we can do to stop it.

Communication systems would be down for days if not weeks so that is not a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

If this thing goes anywhere near Miami then that city if screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Webcam footage from maho beach in st marteen.

Wow.

http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Gavlor wrote: »
    Webcam footage from maho beach in st marteen.

Wow.

http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

My sister in law works in Dominica, but is on holiday in Brazil at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

^^^^

I was actually there last year. This is the same beach....

Image from approx 30 mins ago. Looking like the eyewall section of the storm will stay offshore of Puerto Rico.

427229.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jose just upgraded to Hurricane 1. It's on a similar path.

Advertisement