Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

How yer man stayed up on the surfboard after 14 pints of stout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

branie2 wrote: »
    The Marie Celeste
    your GoogleFu is weak.

Mary Celeste (often misreported as Marie Celeste)

Just to give an idea of the what the 19th century was like for mariners
    The terrible toll taken by shipwrecks was such that in the winter of 1820 some 20,000 seaman lost their lives in the North Sea alone.
    Twenty thousand. In one small area of the seas off Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

branie2 wrote: »
    The disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa

Martin Scorsese & Robert de Niro are making a film about the man who made a deathbed confession to killing Hoffa, the Irish American gangster Frank Sheeran.

Also in the cast Al Pacino (Hoffa), Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel. Should be good :)

eviltwin wrote: »
    I am fascinated by the deaths of Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froome. I don't think there is much mystery to how they died, most likely accidents, but how they spent their last days and how they went missing from a fairly busy, well laid out path.

Had heard of then before, but kinda dismissed it as a "hikers hi missing, meh snakes, swollen rivers etc.". After your post, made an effort to look at sites analysing what happened. It looks pretty disturbing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Who framed Roger Rabbit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I actually thought it was her in the Polaroid.

The theory you're referring to was clearly stated on the Wiki page, Stigura so kindly provided a link to, for us on here.

Ive looked further into the this and it seems pretty solid to me and based on a detailed confession. Wikipedia says the officer didn't reveal where he got the information but it can all be viewed in the case files which are public record

https://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/270970248/New-Mexico-State-Police-Tara-Calico

It wasn't an accident, according to the confession they knocked her off her bike and then raped and killed her. One of the people allegedly involved was the son of the sheriff at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

ceadaoin. wrote:
    Ive looked further into the this and it seems pretty solid to me and based on a detailed confession. Wikipedia says the officer didn't reveal where he got the information but it can all be viewed in the case files which are public record

ceadaoin. wrote:
    It wasn't an accident, according to the confession they knocked her off her bike and then raped and killed her. One of the people allegedly involved was the son of the sheriff at the time

Wow, I've read through it all, thanks.

So I take it they pretty much know what exactly happened to her and where her body's buried but the whole case was botched up because of the sheriff who was in charge and his son's involvement?

Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Wow, I've read through it all, thanks.

So I take it they pretty much know what exactly happened to her and where her body's buried but the whole case was botched up because of the sheriff who was in charge and his son's involvement?

Shocking stuff.

I don't think they know for sure where her body is, just that it is near a pond. It seems to be multiple people saying that they heard the same thing so I think that makes it more believeable. Interesting that the sherriffs son killed himself and according to a statement from a police officer (I think) in the files , left a note confessing to the murder which was disposed of by the deputy sheriff. If that's true I wonder if they will ever face charges? Probably not. All of the alleged perpetrators are dead now but if they could at least find her body it would bring some closure to her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

ceadaoin. wrote:
    I don't think they know for sure where her body is, just that it is near a pond. It seems to be multiple people saying that they heard the same thing so I think that makes it more believeable. Interesting that the sherriffs son killed himself and according to a statement from a police officer (I think) in the files , left a note confessing to the murder which was disposed of by the deputy sheriff. If that's true I wonder if they will ever face charges? Probably not. All of the alleged perpetrators are dead now but if they could at least find her body it would bring some closure to her family.

Yes, that is what I meant, the house with a pond as described by Mr. Brown in the statements.

Unfortunately, I don't think justice will ever be served in this case and I believe it's been closed now since 2014 according to the last report there.

Also, Tara's mother, Patty Doel died in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

More information here (Tara Calico)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj0-j0_ybIk (Short video about removing the Sheriffs name from the vehicles)
    and
    https://www.taracalico.com/ - Website for the documentary.
    I am fascinated by the deaths of Kris Kremers and Lisanne Froome. I don't think there is much mystery to how they died, most likely accidents, but how they spent their last days and how they went missing from a fairly busy, well laid out path.

I do not remember hearing about that case, but it was a very interesting read. Unfortunately it seems like they just got lost and could not find their way back. Odd how the backpack ended up in the Paddy field though, but there could be a number of ways unrelated to their disapperance.
    I believe the camera pictures could have been a last gasp attempt at Lisanne Froon finding a way through the thick rainforest that night, as they may have heard people in the distance or noise. Although at that stage she would have been severely suffering mentally and physically.
    The incorrect PIN may point to Kris Kremer being unable to use her own phone and Froon not knowing or forgetting the PIN.

The only 'credible' mystery imo is the guide, although i do not believe he was involved.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-lost-girls-of-panama-the-full-story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thats a disturbing/ fascinating one with the Dutch Girls but doesnt really seem to be much of a mystery other than why/ how they took the wrong path down the mountain. Once they had made that costly error, they obviously tried to follow a path downstream.

The night photos are definitely Lisanne Froon taking documentary evidence of where and how Kris Kremers died (falling from a height). Tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

How they put the figs in fig rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

How many times are we going to have to see the stupid fig roll question? It hasn't been in any way funny since the 90s.
    The Dutch girls mystery, id magine the photos wouldn't be available to view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

J Mysterio wrote: »

Where they hiking in the jungle alone, very risky if this was the case?

Go read about it, all the information is there.

There is a path from the town of boquete up the hills to the continental divide. In good weather it is definitely manageable. But you go up and back the same way. The other side of the divide was supposedly marked as being 'not the way'. Seems they somehow made the catastrophic decision to take that path down from the Divide. Whether they did it intentionally or not is something you'd wonder about.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

The explorer Percy Fawcett set off to find a lost city in the amazon jungle in 1925 never seen again.lots of storys about local tribes killing amd eating him

Amelia Earhart's disappearance

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The explorer Percy Fawcett set off to find a lost city in the amazon jungle in 1925 never seen again.lots of storys about local tribes killing amd eating him
    Not much mystery because it's a dangerous and inaccessible region.

Lots of people have died there.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/21/research.brazil
    More than 13 separate expeditions have so far failed to discover what happened to Fawcett in the darkest Amazonian jungle and 100 people have died in the attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They released a film about him this year. Its not bad

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1212428/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I just heard about this one today, surprised there isn't more out there about it

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/08/23/bernadette-and-the-passionists/

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Not much mystery because it's a dangerous and inaccessible region.

Lots of people have died there.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/mar/21/research.brazil

Ya true its dangerous just found it interesting all the same.

I just heard about this one today, surprised there isn't more out there about it

Or that the entire article omits any reference to another strong possibility...

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=28979

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Or that the entire article omits any reference to another strong possibility...

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=28979

It does say: "it was reported that an English sex offender was being investigated in relation to Bernadette’s disappearance – a report subsequently dismissed by Gardai as ‘pure fabrication’."

Doesn't name him though.

wilddarts wrote: »
    It does say: "it was reported that an English sex offender was being investigated in relation to Bernadette’s disappearance – a report subsequently dismissed by Gardai as ‘pure fabrication’."

Doesn't name him though.

In 1974. The man named in the Sligo paper was interviewed in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Interesting story. An overtly religious community (especially at that time in Ireland) is always good for an old cover up...

Botswana.... that was handy. Even if he was innocent it's the most guilty thing the church could have done. Maybe a victim of their other goings on with kids.

Interesting nonetheless...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Rumour locally in Sligo was that she'd been accidentally knocked down by the Cloonamahon van, and then they'd panicked.

Never heard how/what evidence there was to support this - but always thought if it was true then there'd have been damage found on the monastery van

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

bear1 wrote: »
    How many times are we going to have to see the stupid fig roll question? It hasn't been in any way funny since the 90s.
    The Dutch girls mystery, id magine the photos wouldn't be available to view?
    Searching for the photos does bring them up. But only 40 - 50 pictures were released as the others showed close ups of one of the girls (Kris Kremer) with head wounds, presumably dead after a fall.
    The photos also tell us that the women had been behaving rationally and intelligently, using whatever they had available to signal rescuers. For example, one picture shows a crude but effective direction marker made of sticks and orange plastic, laid out on a large flat-topped boulder. The women had also used a roll of toilet tissue to spell out something (possibly another arrow or an SOS) on a boulder, even placing a rusty mirror in the center of the letters to reflect sunlight and perhaps flag passing helicopters. If one of them was injured or deceased at that point, it was likely Kris. A single close-up appears to show a wound to the right side of her head in the temple area, and blood matting her distinctive strawberry blonde hair.

The Dailybeast link on the previous page has the full story.

I do think it was just an accident, but if there is any mystery around it, this would be the only bit imo.
    The recovered iPhone’s final powering event comes on April 11—three days after the photos were made and five days after the search began. Dr. Van de Goot’s team of examiners declared they couldn’t be certain a “third party” didn’t activate the phone on that day.
    The leading third-party candidate, at least for some people, is the same guide who first invited the women up to the Divide.
    “He’s the last guy to see them alive—and then he’s the one who finds their bones,” says fellow guide Tornblom. “Something about that just feels wrong to me.”

Some close to the case doubt the “hiking accident” scenario. They suggest a darker version of events, including a possible sex crime and murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

In seriousness, biggest ones for me are:
    1. Malaysian airlines flight 370
    2. Jack the ripper
    3. Zodiac killer

• Advertisement

Lord Lucan

Advertisement