Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way to get rid of person renting room?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boggle wrote: »
    Thats bull and you know it. The guy was naive enough to buy a house he could not afford and to expect other people to pay for it. If you rent a room anywhere should you not be entitled to treat it as your home? Should the owner be entitled to take their money without entitling them to any rights?
    I wasn't referring to this specific case. When one guy buys a house and rents a room, it's the landlord's home as well, the landlord can't just up roots and move elsewhere and the landlord has personal and financial interests in the property.
    A tenant can just up and move and has no financial interest in the property, so while he's perfectly entitled to call it his home, the rights of the resident landlord have to supersede his. It's the only fair way. You can't expect someone to be forced to live in their property with a tenant whom they can't stand?
    It may not be PC and I can hear renters screaming out about their rights, but if you're renting in someone's private residence, they're in charge and they quite rightly have more rights than you do in the property.
    It's like your parents used to say - when you own your own property you can do whatever you like, until then put up or shut up.

If you're renting an entire property from someone, you have way more rights and rightly so - the landlord only has a financial interest in the property.
    And before someone tells me that the law is on his side and that its just plain tough that tennant rights are so sh1te in this place - I know! Wonder what'll happen if tennants rights are properly enforced??
    Tenants rights are properly enforced. The problem is that most tenants don't know their rights and don't know how to enforce them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Afuera wrote: »
    Since they bought over 2 years ago the stamp duty clawback won't apply anymore.
    I think you're wrong here. 2 year clawback only applies to property bought after Budget 2008.
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/first_time_buyers.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OTK wrote: »
    I think you're wrong here. 2 year clawback only applies to property bought after Budget 2008.
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/first_time_buyers.htm

Correct. And the 2 year clawback was a reduction on the 5 year rule- which only came in in Jan 07. The rental of rooms is specifically excluded however- once the threshold is not breeched.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. Good news...she txt'd after the phone call and said she wants to move out straight away, so I agreed to pay her back 2 weeks rent for the rest of the month plus her deposit, minus recent bills. So I am now in the pub having food and giving her time to pack her stuff at her request.

This incident has made me realise how tired I am of renting to strangers. I bought the house by myself 2.5 years ago so have to shoulder all the mortgage. The repayments are approx 1900 per month (up from 1500 originally), which I can't afford by myself, which means I can't afford to live in my own house!

So some thinking to be done in the next while...is it really worth owning and worth all the hassle that goes with it...should I rent somewhere myself and let out the house entirely...:confused:

A good long drink and think over the coming weekend methinks :)

Well, if it was a double room I'd come and be your new tenant - I'm lovely! :D But a single won't hold a fraction of my stuff ;)

I'm really sorry to hear of you having such a hard time renting out rooms, but yeah, it's one of the reasons I'm very reluctant to buy somewhere. I couldn't afford a mortgage on my own, but am apprehensive about getting decent people to share with - and all my friends have accommodation sorted.

Setting the whole house and renting somewhere smaller yourself is certainly a plan. Not sure you'd get enough rent to completely cover the mortgage though (depending on whereabouts you are on the Northside etc) so not sure you'd be all that better off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

microgirl wrote: »
    Well, if it was a double room I'd come and be your new tenant - I'm lovely! :D But a single won't hold a fraction of my stuff ;)

I'm really sorry to hear of you having such a hard time renting out rooms, but yeah, it's one of the reasons I'm very reluctant to buy somewhere. I couldn't afford a mortgage on my own, but am apprehensive about getting decent people to share with - and all my friends have accommodation sorted.

Setting the whole house and renting somewhere smaller yourself is certainly a plan. Not sure you'd get enough rent to completely cover the mortgage though (depending on whereabouts you are on the Northside etc) so not sure you'd be all that better off.

It's a shame that renting out rooms is the only way a lot of people can afford to own a property.

One of my mates tried it and luckily got rid of the house before the recent downturn, he was lucky to sell. Found it a pain to deal with all the hassle that goes with renting rooms.

OP, best of luck finding better housemates - I personally think your rent out the entire house idea might be a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

chump wrote: »
    It's a shame that renting out rooms is the only way a lot of people can afford to own a property.

One of my mates tried it and luckily got rid of the house before the recent downturn, he was lucky to sell. Found it a pain to deal with all the hassle that goes with renting rooms.

OP, best of luck finding better housemates - I personally think your rent out the entire house idea might be a good one.

Renting out the whole house means you lose the rent a room relief and end up with a capital gains tax liabilities and in some cases, stamp duty and income tax liabilities.
    The thing to do is get rid of bad tenants quickly. After a period a landlord gets used to dealing with situations as well as developing an ability to head off trouble, some times even before a prospective tenant moves in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Wow, delighted to come across this thread. I am landlady/owner occupier blah blah. I have lived with some seriously annoying people but was too scared to 'get rid' in case they sued me or something but now realise they have no rights - score! Well, for the evil housemates... Most have been lovely but it's great to know for the future! Best of luck OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I rent a room in a house and luckily I get on very well with the owner who also lives there. She has rented out rooms in the house for years and says that you should always go with your instinct when it comes to getting new tenants. The one time she didn't (because she was a bit desperate at the time) she was sorry as the person turned out to be a drug user and she had to throw him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Thanks again for all the replies...got a lot of positive feedback which helps. I usually do vet people carefully and go with my gut feeling. This girl seemed normal and was pretty friendly, had a good job, etc so I thought it would be grand, but I suppose one or two can always slip through the net. After having a good think over the weekend I'm going to continue renting rooms. Things are back to normal now and the pain has eased a bit! It would be a lot of hassle if I was to move out myself so I'm going to continue as is, just be more careful about who I rent to.
    microgirl wrote: »

Microgirl I've shuffled things around a bit and I have a double room to rent now as I'm leaving the single free for the moment, so if you're interested let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Furkin_Bastage

anyone know if there are any rooms going in around blanchardstown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

DawnMc wrote: »
    but now realise they have no rights - score!

Thank you Fianna Fail

Another victory for the greedy Irish

They buy a house they can't afford, and give those paying the mortgage no rights....yes, pat yourself on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 33cl

I can really sympathise with Ciaran. I was living in my folks house in Dublin a few years ago (they were living abroad) so they obviously wanted to rent out the extra rooms. This French girl moved in but decided a few months later she wanted to move out immediately (a couple days) and get her deposit back as well (!!), forgetting that'd take me at least a few weeks to get a new student in. I refused to give her deposit back because she'd signed a 1 year contract with my folks. She went to her university accomodation rep and complained I was being an a**hole, unreasonable, etc. So I went in and met the rep (with the girl & 2 of her friends present) who then accused me of being 'dogmatic' and that the French girl was entitled to take me/my folks to the small claims court for the deposit money. I think they were attempting a sort of 'girl power' gang up on me (the rep was female too) but it completely failed as she eventually burst into tears in the office in front of everyone. She headed back to France a few days later, minus her deposit and empty threats.

Advertisement