Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Horror Soundtracks?

Options
  • 23-08-2003 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Simple enough question?

What are the best horror soundtracks? The ones to really build suspense? The ones that make your skin crawl upon hearing them?

The Thing, and The Shining had brilliant soundtracks, but I also loved some of the old Italian horror soundtracks like Suspiria, and The Beyond. And lets not forget The Wicker Man. Ravenous also had a brilliant soundtrack, but many people hated it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Home alone, man that little dude with the blonde hair pale face and big red lips scared the **** out of me. great soundtrack too
    "Rocking around the xmas tree" bliss

eh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I also loved some of the old Italian horror soundtracks like Suspiria
    Suspiria is an incredible soundtrack (although occasionally looks like it's veering towards '****', but rarely does). Also worth checking out is Goblin's other great soundtrack, "Dawn of the Dead", which has just been re-released.

But neither of these really terrify me. The only soundtrack, or rather, part of a soundtrack that really scares me is Krzysztof Komeda's "Lullabye" from Rosemary's Baby. To demonstrate how absolutely chilling this music is, play it for someone who hasn't seen Rosemary's Baby. Even without that point of reference, it's still a terrifying piece of music.

And Fantomas did a fantastic version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The music in Suspiria is great (just saw it for the 1st time the other day).
    While not being a great soundtrack, the music used in Cannibal Holocaust (the theme music) was probably the weirdest use of "nice" music in a film that I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I loved the music in "ravenous" and I also liked the chilling theme to "28 days later" which is now on some add and makes me think of the movie every time I see it...

"The lost boys" has great music , while not scary or chilling its boasts one of my fav songs in the opening - The Doors "people are strange" which is covered by "Echo and the Bunnymen" sets a great mood as they drive into the strange town,
    Also the opening music which is played throughout the film - (I think its a choir) is a stroke of genious !

The music played through the fantastic transformation scene in "American werewolf in London" would be in my top few ( cant remember off hand the name of the song )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

I agree with all the above. My personal favorite is Halloween.
    Ravenous was class, Has anybody seen Canniball-The Musical?
    The guys from southpark made it as their college movie if memory serves. It kinda ruined ravenous for me as it has the same frickin story. And is pretty crappy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Fright night was a class soundtrack. I loved that guitar rift in the film.

But my favuorite is def 28 days later. I love the music as all hell breaks loose in the Army house towards the end.

Originally posted by Tusky
    The music played through the fantastic transformation scene in "American werewolf in London" would be in my top few ( cant remember off hand the name of the song )

Tusky that'll be Van Morrisons Moondance. A truely superb scene. Probably 20 years old now :eek:

I also liked the chilling theme to "28 days later" which is now on some add and makes me think of the movie every time I see it...

I think were talking about the same track Tusky. It's John Murphy - In the house - in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

ahh thats the one Dave - Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Tusky, damn you. I was gonna say 28 days later. Anyway that and its really a hhorror but was effective and everyone loves Jaws. so simple yet so suspence building, classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

All john carpenters early movies had really apt themes/music.

He did it all himself so it always seems to suit the film perfectly, sparse minimal music that doesnt distract you,In a lot of horrors the music is overwhelming.

Also the Hitcher (which I bought yesterday) has an amazing score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

It's not the best soundtrack in a horror movie ever, and it's certainly not the best horror movie ever, but it had 'Disposable Teens' and 'Feelgood Hit of the Summer' (my favourite song ever.... it speaks to me on so many levels. Many of them mind-altering ones....) I'm going with Blair Witch 2, just for those songs.

But if I had to pick a SERIOUS one, I'd say 28 Days Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Wickerman is the only horror (although I'm not sure if it's a true horror) film that has ever inspired me to buy the soundtrack, so that get's my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Yeah the Wickerman is a great soundtrack.

Although my personal faves are Wojiech Kilar (neh- I don't care if I spelt that wrong) who done Bram Stokers Dracula and The Ninth Gate. the former being one of the most brilliant scores to any movie I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Im suprised no one mentioned the CROW, AW shame on you with all the NIN and the likes and i love the paino theme from it as well! You know its years since i listened to it now that i think of it im going to look for it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

i love the zombie flesh eaters soundtrack
    especially the track that comes on when the zombies are on their merry little throat ripping way once again
    yipeee

thump thump thump thump waaaaa waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaa

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

I loved the music in "ravenous" and I also liked the chilling theme to "28 days later" which is now on some add and makes me think of the movie every time I see it...

"The lost boys" has great music , while not scary or chilling its boasts one of my fav songs in the opening - The Doors "people are strange" which is covered by "Echo and the Bunnymen" sets a great mood as they drive into the strange town,
    Also the opening music which is played throughout the film - (I think its a choir) is a stroke of genious !

Thought it was "Bad Moon Rising" by Creedence Clearwater Revival... ahhh.. legend!

Anyway, my favourites are the Halloween soundtrack (creepy), Poltergeist, The Omen (satanic!)... oh and the closing track by the Prodigy after Event Horizon just suited that film right down to the ground.

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

Oh yeah, and The Amytyville Horror, that was freaky.... *shiver* Very spooky film too, whether you believe the story is true or not.. the second one was pretty freaky too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i think it was a real house but that is where the similarity ends!

Hellraiser has a good soundtrack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement