Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Luas 'safety-awareness day' in Dublin

Options
  • 11-06-2004 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/3369097?view=Eircomnet
    Luas 'safety-awareness day' in Dublin
    Friday, 11th June, 2004

All pensioners in possession of a free travel pass will be allowed to use it at all times, including rush hour, on the new Luas system when it comes into operation, it was announced today.

The announcement was made during the Luas safety-awareness day, which is being held in Dublin's Middle Abbey Street today. Tram carriages are open to the public from 9.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. and safety experts will be on hand to answer any queries.

The safety campaign comes ahead of the opening of the Sandyford tram line on June 30th, which will introduce potential traffic risks around the city.

"Introduction of a new transport system will always include some potential risks and today's purpose is to bring more awareness about these risks in order to mitigate against them," said Mr Ciaran Mac Samhrain, Rolling Stock manager at the Railway Procurement Agency.

He was outside the tram carriages on Middle Abbey Street, handing out information leaflets and violet Luas balloons.

New bye-laws and signeage will be in place when the Luas begins its operations. For instance, cyclists will not be allowed to cycle on tram-only streets and pedestrians should cross the tramways only in places where they see a "Look Both Ways" sign.

"Motorists, cyclists, pedestrians, everyone really, should keep in mind that the trams don't have steering wheels. They cannot make a turn to avoid you if you are obstructing their way," said Mr Mac Samhrain.

The completion of the Luas tram system has been anxiously awaited, particularly due to the disruption its construction has caused on Dublin Streets.

Mr Christy Hynes, who owns a business on Middle Abbey Street, came along to visit the Luas carriages and said that the road works have been hugely disruptive. "It will be a huge improvement when the tram line opens. The construction works have caused chaos on Middle Abbey Street."

"It looks very impressive and hopefully will bring more people to the area when it is up and running," he said.

Mr Jamie McCormack and Mr John Kirk were also visiting the Luas carriages. Mr McCormack said that Luas will be very "handy" for him and he will be using the service. Mr John Kirk, who is a cyclist, says that he can't see himself using the trams much unless he can bring his bike inside the carriages.

"No bikes or pets are allowed inside the Luas carriages," said Mr Mac Samhrain. "The only exception is for guide-dogs."

Mr John Barry's first impressions of the trams were positive. "Very comfortable and very fast. I welcome anything that will get us through the awful traffic in this city."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Luas and safety dont sit comfortably at all as far as I am concerned - for instance in James Street cyclists (especially vulnerable) coming from Thomas Street are confronted with luas rails (coming from Steeven's Lane) without any warning whatsover. I have been on to the Luas office asking for signs to be erected warning cyclists. And a Luas representative today in Abbey St came very close to calling me a liar when I insisted to him that there were no signs there. There arent I can confirm!

James St is one of the areas where traffic and trams will coexist and the amount of space left for cyclists and indeed motorcyclists between the track and the pavement is to my mind pathetic. I cannot imagine what it will be like to be cycing along James St and suddenly find a tram on your shoulder. They should have left space for a cycle lane on the footpath. Serious accidents seem to me to be inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

It's another example how how things are done on the cheap, no provision being made for cyclists as usual.

I've seen this, it's lethal. The rails will be invisible at night & the gap between the rail and the kerb is too narrow. Best practice is to cycle in the middle, between the rails as this will make the cyclist more visible to the operator. Luas may not have steering but it does have brakes.

They've erected 'no cycling' signs on the road going under Butt Bridge and leading to Gardiner Street, but AFAIK, they're just chancing their arm as the signs used are not lawfully defined ones.

Are they providing cycle parking at the stations?

Another example of Luas and safety. About a fortnight ago I was visiting friends in Drimnagh when I discovered that three shores had been left as per the attached photo. I reported what I considered to be criminal neglect to the Gardai on the Saturday night I discovered them but of course they were not particularly interested.

On Monday at lunchtime they were still in the same state so I took some photos and emailed them to Dublin City Council who blamed it on Luas contractors. They were filled in by that evening.

Imagine some workers walked away and left them like that - some supervisors allowed them to do it and worse still some Company got paid for that 'work'.

Just to put some perspective on where the three shores actually were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

all this has precious little to do with tram safety. The shoddy work is just typical of most Irish construction projects.

Cyclists are always going to have problems with tram lines. It's an unfortunate fact of life. The onus is on the cyclist to pay due care and attention and signage is essential in this respect.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BrianD
    all this has precious little to do with tram safety. The shoddy work is just typical of most Irish construction projects.

Cyclists are always going to have problems with tram lines. It's an unfortunate fact of life. The onus is on the cyclist to pay due care and attention and signage is essential in this respect.

It has everything to do with tram safety as far as I am concerned. the fact that shoddy work is typical does not in any way justify it.

The fact is that the Luas project showed scant regard to put it charitably towards the public and continues to do so in many ways as highlighted by my examples. In this case ( the James st one) its not just the tram lines that the cyclist is going to have problems with its the trams themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/3375493?view=Eircomnet
    All aboard . . . as Luas rolls into town at last
    Saturday, 12th June, 2004

THE Luas proved more popular than many polling stations yesterday, as many curious shoppers and office workers got their first glimpse of the shining silver tram.

People clambered into and around the 30-metre vehicle, which pulled up in Middle Abbey Street in a cloud of purple ballons to promote safety around the Luas line. The bright yellow and purple decor delighted visitors, even those who complained the Tallaght line ran nowhere near their houses.

Abbey Street traders also breathed a sigh of relief, as the end to two years of construction came into view.

Numerous bars and shops have sprung up along Middle Abbey Street in the past year, all hoping for a share of the Luas action.

When the line is finally launched in late August, it will bring up to 2,500 people per hour past their entrances, from a catchment area which includes Tallaght, the Red Cow, Rialto, Heuston Station, the Four Courts, and Jervis Shopping Centre.

Abbey Street is the last stop before O'Connell Street, with just Busaras and Connolly Station following after.

Fares will be formally announced next week but were said to be around €2 per single trip from Tallaght. Luas spokesman Tom Manning, said: "We are here today to show people the trams, to invite them to have a good look around and so we can promote awareness and safety around the tracks.

"Traders' reaction today is positive. Rather than complaints about disruption, we are now getting enquiries from people who see the commercial possibilities."

Student Anne-Marie McGauran, from NUI Maynooth, and her friend Ashling Nolan, an insurance broker from Celbridge, thought the Luas was very well designed.

"It's like what you see in the London subway in terms of design," said Anne-Marie. "If it resolves some of the traffic problems it will be worth the wait."

Ashling added: "It's quite spacious, and will be good in the long run. I'll certainly go on it."

The tram can take a total of 235 people - the equivalent of 168 cars - and will pass the stop at Middle Abbey Street every five minutes at peak times.

It will travel at speeds of up to 46mph, restricted to 15mph in pedestrian areas, with the same emergency stopping time as a bus.

Rosaline O'Hare, her daughter Denise and granddaughter Sairse (5), said the Luas would not pass their home in Ballymun, but were nonetheless enthusiastic.

"It's lovely, very nice. Worth the wait. Eventually it might come out to me," said Rosaline. Sr Rosa, a teacher at UCD originally from Mexico, said she would definitely ride on the Luas from Stillorgan.

Old age pensioners will be entitled to travel free on the LUAS, without any time restrictions, unlike on the DART and buses.

Helen Bruce

Can anyone explain to me why they have painted a huge arrow between the tracks in James St indicating a right turn when in fact the Luas actually turns left?

There must be some explanation other than they got it completely wrong:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Did you consider that the arrow is for traffic other than the trams? What use is a painted arrow to a tram driver? It is not as if there is a choice other than to follow the line of the tracks.

Originally posted by John R
    Did you consider that the arrow is for traffic other than the trams? What use is a painted arrow to a tram driver? It is not as if there is a choice other than to follow the line of the tracks.

Oddly enough I did consider this. However the traffic most likely to see the arrow is going in the opposite direction to it. While any traffic for which it might be intended would actually find it very very diificult to see it.

Still I suppose its a possiblity!

• Advertisement
Advertisement