Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What scares you the most in movies?

Options
  • 14-01-2007 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

ill start......

creepy kids and dolls. Almost nothing else. Not the forest, not the creepy music(except that annoying children's song), not monsters, not gore. Just a small psychotic kid. Oh, and I am never playing that children's song to my kids. Ever. It might turn them into creepy things :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It all depends how it's filmed. Generally though, something slow-building with a lot of tension. An example would be the elevator scene in The Eye, really made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yeah, it does depend on how it's filmed.

I rarely get scared in movies - I love scary movies but I never really jump out of my seat, or scream or get terrified. Maybe I haven't seen any good scary movies....

Creepy kids do scare the sh1t out of me though. Especially creepy girls singing....*shivers* Love that scene in The Others. It's not a very scary movie but the scene with the little girl in the communion dress playing with a puppet scared me sh1tless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Because of my religous beliefs, i find intelligent films which have satanic themes can be disturbing. (e.g. the exorcist) but run of the mill scares and japanese ghosty kids dont freak me out

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If you ask me the 'scary kid' thing has been done to death in recent years. Where once it was chilling, now it's just a cliche.

I like the kind of psychological horror that messes with your head. Films like Sphere and Event Horizon had plenty of this so I liked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The special effects in Ben Affleck movies (ie his 'hair') scare the shít out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

gore and splater dont do it for me. i'd go with suspense and implication and a lot of that has to do with direction. for instance though not a film the game of resident evil freaked me out cause you'd enter a room and the first thing to hit your head was "why has the music stopped?"

next to that perversions of safe and innocent themes can be terrifying ala childrens nursery rhymes and the like.

bar that the price of the food in the foyer is pretty scary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Jump scares; those kind of OMGWTF moments, eg. 'Jurassic Park' Ellie turning on the power and the raptor busting the grilling behind her.

Prolonged scares; where you jump and the scare keeps coming like where the character trips and the enemy slowly gains ground, eg. 'The Terminator' at the end.

Stuff to do with eyes or fingernails... i can't take that crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Stop Motion - something spectacularly weird about stop motion characters. See that weird headless girlfriend in Evil Dead 2 for an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The Japanese ghost kid in the Grudge was prety creepy. Rape scenes always make me uncomfortable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Rhyme wrote:
    Stuff to do with eyes or fingernails... i can't take that crap.
    fingernail pulling makes me squirm something fierce! I hated that scene in The Wind ThAt Shakes The Barley

apart from that a good buildup, and expecting a scare, but not getting one, that really throws me, and when the scare comes it really scares me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Event Horizon for the reasons already mentioned.

Also horror where there is no logic.
    The scene at the end of the Wicker Man (just watched the remake the other nite) is very upsetting.
    To see ppl do that to someone based on blind faith is fúcked up!
    Really got to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

the words "A Jerry Bruckheimer Production of a Michael Bay Film"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Gillie wrote:
    Event Horizon for the reasons already mentioned.
    "Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see", his wife/himself tearing his eyes out, the garbled transmission and when he carves up the doctor.

I bought it last year and i've only watched it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

the words "A Jerry Bruckheimer Production of a Michael Bay Film"

:D Not looking forward to Transformers so!
    Were you a Don Simpson fan at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Movies that mess with your head instead of trying to scare you with gore and things that jump out of corners or the darkness.

TO make someone believe they are afraid is better than them waiting to jump from shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I think this thread would be of some interest to people here. We got into quite a debate there about what makes a movie scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

goddamn friggin clowns ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

goddamn friggin clowns ftw

Damn straight!

I also love things like Alien, (which I honestly think is the greatest horror ever) where you aren't shown what's killing them in full, only little glimpses of it. It helps build up the ominous feeling of the film.

Also, although it really is done to death, building paranoia between characters can be really effective. As I said, it's almost standard fare now a days, but you can really see it done well in films like Night Of The Living Dead and The Thing.

Honestly, something that scares the bejesus out of me has to be any sort of british kid with a posh accent ala The Others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

The fact that people pay to go see, and enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean movies! :D

But seriously, anything involving paintings, photographs or mirrors.
    Examples-

Don't Look Now
    ... Ghostbusters 2... and... um... The Witches...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddycorry

Rob Schneider or Martin Lawrence :eek:

Freaky kids in horror movies scare me, like Carol-Anne from the Poltergeist movies or Danny in 'The Shining' doing his redrum bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Prescient

Creepy Old People scare the beejaysus out of me, in particular the old preacher-man in Poltergeist2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Not strictly from 'horror' films, but one thing that inspires horror in me is 1v1 death struggles in films. Probably the best example being the one in Saving Private Ryan with the jewish soldier and the big knife... :\

Event Horizon did freak the **** out of me. I'm still not sure why. As did Cube. It's like...doom, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

you bastard Scouser! i was reading through this and was going to say Saving private Ryan! :mad: :D
    The Grudge and The Ring were very good but it has been done to Death as said

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The kid in Pet Sematary is the worst of the creepy kids... especially when he is dressed up like his aunt Zelda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Petey2006

The kid in Pet Sematary is the worst of the creepy kids... especially when he is dressed up like his aunt Zelda.

The achilles tendon. :eek: I will say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddycorry

The scene in '28 days later' in the tunnel: the rats are running away from the rage-infected crowd, who are running towards the taxi, and the girl is underneath the car changing the tyre.... that scene freaks me out every time.. excellent stuff

Advertisement