Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MSL Dublin Service

Options
  • 22-06-2007 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had any poor dealings with MSL in Dublin, in particular Pottery Road?
    I have had to deal with them a number of times in the past few months and have had nothing but problems with them.

Firstly i had an oil pump problem with an Audi TT back in February. Long story short, they took it in and said it would be ready in two days. Two days gone past, no contact from anyone at MSL. I called them, told it would be another day. This happened for the following 3 days, me having to call them. Eventually after a week and a half, i called them on a Friday to be told by the receptionist that the car was ready the previous day. I asked to speak to Audi service manager as was told it wasnt. He told me it wasnt ready. When i mentioned receptionist said it was, he came back and said, "oh my mistake, yes it is". Cant help but feel that somebody wanted to go for spin for the weekend or something. I am sure they would have better cars at hand but thats the impression i got. Cost me just under

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

I felt the same way, I left my TT in last year, and felt they were very expensive and they cracked the engine cover and refused to acknowledge it was them....have'nt been back since.

I had to get my timing belt done last week, and was quoted over 800 by MSL, local garage did it for 500. An extra 300 just for the privliage of the main dealership ?

Na...wont be back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I went through a long SIMI complaints process with them. They are sheisters. I would never buy another VAG car after my experience with them. I later discovered the full extent of the problem when I went to fix something. Broken glass everywhere. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I find all MSL service departments terrible - Park Motors, Pottery Road, Turners Cross. They never call you back and they seldom fix things on the first attempt. If they break or damage something they never accept responsibility. It's top dollar for a less than useless service. I keep away from them.

crosstownk wrote:
    If they break or damage something they never accept responsibility.
    Never mind tell you about it.;)

Bear in mind that these guys are also the distributors for Ireland. I would never buy another VAG car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

They wont be distributors of VAG cars for too much longer. Come next year(I think, not 100% sure when exactly, but I know it will happen in the not too distant future), Volkswagen, Audi, and Skoda are taking over the importing of their own cars in Ireland from the O'Flaharty's(MSL). VAG are doing it themselves as and from then.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    They wont be distributors of VAG cars for too much longer. Come next year(I think, not 100% sure when exactly, but I know it will happen in the not too distant future), Volkswagen, Audi, and Skoda are taking over the importing of their own cars in Ireland from the O'Flaharty's(MSL). VAG are doing it themselves as and from then.

It's MDL that is the importer/distributor of the cars. MSL is a subsiduary of MDL. MSL is the company that comprises Grange Motors, Ballsbridge Motors, Europa Cars, Park Motors, Turners Cross Motors and the MSL service centre on Pottery Road. I don't know whats going to happen to MSL when MDL no longer has the distrubition rights for VAG vehicles. I'd imagine that the MSL dealerships will continue to operate and still be operated by the O'Flaherty set up. But I do hope that VAG put a rocket up their ar$$es to try and improve the level of service - I won't hold my breath............

The sales guy in Grange was genuinely helpful and seemed a bit dismayed at my experience. He actually had to call up there himself because they wouldn't answert the phone to him either. It's a pity the SIMI complaints stats aren't public. The again, why would they. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I also have a tale of woe with a VAG dealership: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948396

Car has been sold in the meantime replaced with a non-VAG car - i couldn't stand the sight of it after this.

Last time i'll ever set foot in a VAG dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ballooba wrote:
    The sales guy in Grange was genuinely helpful and seemed a bit dismayed at my experience. He actually had to call up there himself because they wouldn't answert the phone to him either. It's a pity the SIMI complaints stats aren't public. The again, why would they. :rolleyes:

It was by any chance the Ginger Hammer himself, Mr. Simon Barrett? Possibly the most helpful saleman I've ever had the fortune to deal with, some others push him close but he's probably the shining star of MSL when it comes to service.

I'll second what Crosstownk says about the MSL dealers - try to avoid them at all costs - particulaly Park. I worked with the service manager briefly a couple of years ago somewhere before he left under a very black cloud. TBH Belgard are almost as bad though.

R.O.R wrote:
    It was by any chance the Ginger Hammer himself, Mr. Simon Barrett? Possibly the most helpful saleman I've ever had the fortune to deal with, some others push him close but he's probably the shining star of MSL when it comes to service.
    No. Paul something. Older guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I've had similar poor experinences with MSL. Once they badly damaged my new car before delivery !! Fair play to the salesman he gave me a new demo car whilst they ordered a new one for me !!

Then on my next car they scratched the alloy wheel and denied all knowledge of it, however that morning as I drove in I made the receptionist come out and look over every inch of the car including the wheels !

One new alloy thank you !!

I wouldn't go back, in fact I hate leaving my car in ANYWHERE ! The only place I've had a good experience with was Denis Mahoney. They fixed problems I hadn't reported for very little money. I was impressed, although they NEVER answered the phone which is frustrating when you are trying to arrange a lift !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's beyond me how this type of business remains trading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ballooba wrote:
    I went through a long SIMI complaints process with them.

Waste of time, the SIMI is nothing more than a talking shop/cigar and brandy room for main dealers.

R.O.R wrote:
    TBH Belgard are almost as bad though.

Probably the most expensive and customer hostile service department in Ireland. Run by an absolute idiot who treats everyone he meets like sh*te. A self declared egomaniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I bought a new golf from grange motors in jan - then last month a stone chip smashed one of the fog lamps so i needed it replaced.

Used MSL service centre in pottery road and will never ever do it again - they are a complete shambles. It took 2 weeks and a ridiculous amount of phone calls just to get a fog lamp replaced. I even dropped in the car for a full day as pre-arranged only to arrive back at 5pm to find they hadn't actually orded it in and i had to come back another day. The guy for VW, Trevor i think, is a complete shambles of a man - never again will i ever use MSL, if they can't fix something so simple as a fog lamp what chance would they have with a full service or something more elaborate.

Stay away is my advice (although the sales guy i used to buy my car, Karl, was excellent, very helpful and great after-sales service)

Are the Nordies any better? I assume it's cheaper over the border?

The only VW dealer in the country that's any use is Newcastle West Autos in Limerick. Fantastic to deal with and problems are fixed first time (in so far as is possible). If they are any way convenient, use them.

As far as Belgard Motors is concerned, they may as well be MSL. Useless - no - worse than useless. I use them a lot, because of location, but they couldn't fix a broken washing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Are the Nordies any better? I assume it's cheaper over the border?

A different world.

Book your car in for a service.
    Drive up to Isaac Agnew, right off the motorway as you arrive into Belfast.
    Park car, spot the 16 gleaming spotless service bays.
    Walk into the showroom, the hostess welcomes you, apologises for the short wait to speak to a service representative, guides you to a café area where a waitress offers you fresh ground expresso machine coffee and a choice of fresh cream pastries.
    If you want you can post on boards as there are three free web terminals.
    You are then directed to your service representive who check if you have any special requirements and hand him/her the keys.
    A driver will then drop into Belfast for shopping in a full leather A/C Vito Traveliner.
    A call on your mobile indicates that your car is ready, would sir like to be collected?
    Settle up, enjoy a last coffee before driving back.
    Walk out, note that your car has been washed and wheel blacked.
    Drive home feeling like a customer and not a victim.

Top notch - recommend them to anyone. Top tip, book in for a Republic Bank Holiday which is a working day in the north.

By contrast in Dublin Merc dealerships I have been;
    1. Refused any discount for a car bought for cash - even offering to buy the demonstrator. I got the price I was after from the North.

2. Refused warrenty work after being told to bring the car in at 8am, it was still sitting outside 2 hours later, when I made a fuss, someone drove it into the bay. One hour later then was told they didnt have the part. The horn had stopped working - I pointed out that they were asking me to drive a car in an illegal condition so therefore they needed to give me a replacement while they sorted it out under warrenty. No courtesy cars. I then complained to the manager, or tried...he told me to f**k off. Literally.

3. Was lied to as to the ability of the dealership (MSL) to reprogramme a key for me. I'd lost my spare and the immobiliser had locked, leaving the car stranded. The car had to be reprogrammed to accept a new key. I knew MSL didnt have the software to do it. I was first told that they didnt have a service appointment for six weeks. I explained the situation and had a comedy conversation with the service manager.
    "I just got told six weeks before you can reprogramme the car, it's a ten minute job, and I'm stranded"
    "Ah, well, bring it in anyway, we might have a look at it if we get a chance"
    "I have to tow it, can you arrange it?"
    "No, you'll have to do that"
    "Do you have the software to reprogramme the car"
    "Ah, we'll have a look"
    "Do you have the software?"
    "We don't know whats wrong with yet"
    "I do, it needs reprogramming, the car key battery is dead, and the immobiliser has reset"
    "hmm, well...."
    "Do you have the software?"
    "errr...I'm not getting into that.."
    "What?"
    "Our relationship with manufacturer"
    "So what the hell do you do if a car need diagnostics done?"
    "Ah...deep breath...we sent it to Belfast"
    "You have to be joking" Click.

/me calls Belfast
    No problem. All sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

crosstownk wrote:
    The only VW dealer in the country that's any use is Newcastle West Autos in Limerick. Fantastic to deal with and problems are fixed first time (in so far as is possible). If they are any way convenient, use them.

I would agree with this. Even though I have never dealt with them myself I know people who have nothing but praise for their level of service, well as far as VW dealers go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

MSL Pottery are a disgrace, I'm not quite sure who the blame for the place lies with though, the staff you deal with at the desks are generally ok it's once it goes into the workshop when the problems start.

They broke trim on the dash of a car I had.

They destroyed the rub strip on the drivers door on a brand new Golf GTI of mine during the PDI - Grange copped it and made them pay for it.

They "fixed" an airbag light in the passenger seat of an Audi I had and failed to bolt the seat back to the floor, I found out about it when the seat decided to jump forward one day when I had to brake hard.

There is no way in this world I would trust them with my S3 now. I will either try Brady's Castleknock (anyone used them?) or drive to Cork where I bought my car when it needs a service. I am actually DREADING the day the computer thing tells me the car needs a service.

• Advertisement

Just a question... Why are you people all going to hugely overpriced, dreadfully inefficient, customer repelling dealerships that are literally financially raping you when you go to them???

There are some excellent independent garages out there, they charge a fraction of what these saps are charging and they actually appreciate your business and will give you much better service. Why give these people your business??? They don't even appreciate your custom, they may as well poke you in the eye after taking your money, going by the stories I'm hearing here.

Before someone replies with, "they have the diagnostics computer", or something like that, so does any independent garage worth it's salt. The day is long gong when you "have to bring it back to the main dealer to fix that", so why are people still putting up with this???

Yep, CrosstownK (I think) recommended a really good garage to me recently for timing belt change on the Passat. You actually feel like they appreciate your business.

ballooba wrote:
    Yep, CrosstownK (I think) recommended a really good garage to me recently for timing belt change on the Passat. You actually feel like they appreciate your business.

You'd save a fortune getting this job done in a good independent garage. I can't get my head around people who have this mantra going on in their head, "I have to go to a main dealer, I have to go to a main dealer", to get charged 110 Euro labour a fu*kin hour by the likes of Belgard Motors, a shower of theiving cu*nts who's business rationale relies exclusively on there being enough stupid people out there to give them 300 Euro for an oil change.

For pig iron, lets price this job through a main dealer and through a random independent garage... As for an independent garage price, I did a timing belt & water pump on a 03 VW Passat, 1.6 Petrol. Timing belt kit was SKF (OEM quality item), water pump was supplied by VW. Customer was billed for just under 380 Euro, with a 12 month warranty on the job. I'll price this through the main dealer on Monday and see what it comes in at. Anyone got a main dealer price for this job before I start???

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Wow - I nearly bought a car off MSL today! I had a price from another garage and decided to check Park Motors out because their list price started off lower.

But after waiting 10 minutes to get some attention (I wasn't just standing there, a free sales guy kept fobbing me off) - I left and went back to th original garage.

After reading this thread I'm glad I went with my instinct.

Darragh29 wrote:
    Just a question... Why are you people all going to hugely overpriced, dreadfully inefficient, customer repelling dealerships that are literally financially raping you when you go to them???

Warranty.

For regular maintenance I use independents for all the reasons you state.

Darragh29 wrote:
    For pig iron, lets price this job through a main dealer and through a random independent garage... As for an independent garage price, I did a timing belt & water pump on a 03 VW Passat, 1.6 Petrol. Timing belt kit was SKF (OEM quality item), water pump was supplied by VW. Customer was billed for just under 380 Euro, with a 12 month warranty on the job. I'll price this through the main dealer on Monday and see what it comes in at. Anyone got a main dealer price for this job before I start???
    Same job same car (exept 02). Water pump, fan belt, timing belt. €600. Independent garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Maybe someone should ring MSL and inform them of this thread, see what they ahve to say for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Problem is they probably wouldn't say anything - just threaten legal action and get the thread removed, etc, etc. Better if people are aware of other people's experiences and can make the own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jayok wrote:
    Problem is they probably wouldn't say anything - just threaten legal action and get the thread removed, etc, etc. Better if people are aware of other people's experiences and can make the own decisions.

So in other words, 'Guilty as charged'

I reckon if what was said in this thread wasn't true, they'd at least defend themselves? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

I once bought a T4 Syncro on behalf of a company for which I worked. The rack failed at only 60k, so MDL agreed to supply a new rack FOC, but we had to pay for the install - hence MSL in Pottery Road.

Arriving to collect it at the appropriate time I was left hanging around as usual, so I gave the van the once-over. Oil and dirt on the upholstery, bonnet not shut, various clips left loose under the bonnet. Lots of yelling and ranting to the service manager and they dealt with the problems.

All seemed fine for a few weeks, until we discovered that they hadn't tightened up the rack bolts - it came adrift in use!

More ranting and threats of legal action - job redone.

Again all seemed well until we ran the van into some soft sand. When it came out the far side it had the most amazing case of toe-in I've ever seen. Turned out that MSL had used regular bolts to hold in the rack instead of the correct flanged ones. When the sand put the rack under pressure the bolt heads pulled clean through the bushes and the rack simply popped off!

We needed the van for the job and the company had other things to do, or there would undoubtedly have been a major lawsuit.

N.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement