Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Credit card fraud

• 11-04-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Opened letter from bank of Ireland saying my credit card was overdrawn. Rang bank to see what was up, seems someone stole my card details and went on a big spending spree 7000 grand in fact.I hardly ever use the card and dont know how this could happen.one item was for 4000euro on plane tickets in bangkoc others for music downloads.Question: will i have to pay the money back or do the bank have insurance for this kind of fraud, im very worried, any advice at what to do would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

they have insurance / protections in place.
    call the number on the back of the card ASAP.
    you ahve to let them know as soon as you become aware of the fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

as far as I know if it was due to your negligence it's your problem - if it was something beyond your control it's there problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm amazed that BOI Security didn't query when a transaction of €4000 was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

You should be covered.
    Were all the transactions online? ie did they just have your card details and address or was the card cloned?
    When you say "overdrawn", what is the credit limit and was this exceeded?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Opened letter from bank of Ireland saying my credit card was overdrawn. Rang bank to see what was up, seems someone stole my card details and went on a big spending spree 7000 grand in fact.I hardly ever use the card and dont know how this could happen.one item was for 4000euro on plane tickets in bangkoc others for music downloads.Question: will i have to pay the money back or do the bank have insurance for this kind of fraud, im very worried, any advice at what to do would be great.

The bank is liable for transactions, unless the PIN was used or they can prove you acted neglegently.

PS: 7000 grand = 7 million

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 siopadoireachta

wyndham wrote: »
    You should be covered.
    Were all the transactions online? ie did they just have your card details and address or was the card cloned?
    When you say "overdrawn", what is the credit limit and was this exceeded?
    not sure as bank are still investagation. the card had a chip and pin the one that i was using. i had a credit limit of 7000euro,they used up the 7000euro limit and then tryed to use it again but couldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

As Mountjoy Mugger says, I'm surprised they didn't query a large transaction such as €4000 on plane tickets. Most websites won't even let you spend that much online without some form of proof of who you are. Especially for plane tickets - whoever used the tickets must be traceable since they would have had to have checked in at some stage, shown passports etc. And you also need the three digit security number on the back of the card to authorise online purchases for the majority of websites (therefore you need to have had access to the card itself at some stage).

Anyway - call the number on the back of the card immediately. They'll cancel the card there and then so it will no longer work. In fraud cases you won't be held liable for the charges - the bank will go to the online merchant's with whom the card was used and request all the payment details and investigate it that way. However, this is all assuming you weren't negligent - for example, if you kept your card PIN number with the card or, worse still, wrote the PIN number on the back of your card then the bank will see it in a completely different way.

Have you any idea how the might have gotten your credit card details? Is your card missing or did you let it go out of your sight at any time?

didnt keep the card pin with card or anything like that.as for the credit card i still have it. only time i ever use it if i was booking concert tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Kensington wrote: »
    As Mountjoy Mugger says, I'm surprised they didn't query a large transaction such as €4000 on plane tickets. Most websites won't even let you spend that much online without some form of proof of who you are. Especially for plane tickets - whoever used the tickets must be traceable since they would have had to have checked in at some stage, shown passports etc. And you also need the three digit security number on the back of the card to authorise online purchases for the majority of websites (therefore you need to have had access to the card itself at some stage).

Have you any idea how the might have gotten your credit card details? Is your card missing or did you let it go out of your sight at any time?

By being asked for the ccv number so much these days, surely some horrible employee in a call centre somewhere has enough info to use this easily and basically have all your information bar the PIN?OP, Why do you have a 7k limit if you only use it for tickets? You can have a limit of as low as 650 if you need security?

i had a limit of 3000 the bank then put it up to 7000 and then they went and put it up to 14000 without asking me, i only noticed it by accident. got on to them to put it back down to 3000 limit. i didnt know you could get a limit as low as 650.

• Advertisement

as i say got on to bank to put it down to 3000limit but they must have left it at the 7000limit as that was how much was taking out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

foreign transactions can often cause a card to go way over its limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

didnt keep the card pin with card or anything like that.as for the credit card i still have it. only time i ever use it if i was booking concert tickets

this should be very useful information for the bank - the fact that you've only used it a few places. Where did you book your concert tickets by the way (just so that i can avoid them)?

/ in relation to your opening question. The bank should cover the debts unless you are shown to be negligent. The nature of the transactions made indicate some form of online fraud, so you should be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

My CC details were accessed before when there was a security breech in an online shop. I noticed the transactions on my Internet Banking but the bank had spotted suspect transactions and contacted me the day after.

Although my thief practiced “crime with a conscience”.

There were a number of payments to a Dutch online poker side ... and then in the middle of them all ... a $10 donation to the Red Cross!

I think it was the charitable donation on my account that triggered the banks suspicion :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Interesting-the donation to the Red Cross I mean. I work for a large NGO and we have occasional fraudulent transactions made via credit card. The fraudster goes online with either genuine cards that they have the details or made up numbers and expiry dates. We reckon they try the cards first on our site to see whether the cards are valid. If they go through then they go on and use the cards to get goods and services on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Interesting-the donation to the Red Cross I mean. I work for a large NGO and we have occasional fraudulent transactions made via credit card. The fraudster goes online with either genuine cards that they have the details or made up numbers and expiry dates. We reckon they try the cards first on our site to see whether the cards are valid. If they go through then they go on and use the cards to get goods and services on other sites.
    Yes, that's a common thing for them to do, i.e. first do a low value transaction to verify the card works and then go on a spree. I had a phone call the other day from AIB's fraud centre because a (legitimate) company had made a test $1 authorization to test my card number I had just entered. They quite literally rang 5 minutes after I'd clicked the Submit button on the website! On another occasion they picked up a couple of dodgy transactions and temporarily blocked the card before they could do any more damage and rang me immediately and fully refunded the charges. I'm quite impressed by their (AIB that is) quick responses so far, I have to say.

I have to say though that donating to charity as a means to test the card was a nice touch in a strange sort of way though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

not sure as bank are still investagation. the card had a chip and pin the one that i was using. i had a credit limit of 7000euro,they used up the 7000euro limit and then tryed to use it again but couldnt.

A similar thing happened to a guy I used to work with. It turns out that the perpetrator was someone working for a Dominos or 4-star pizza, my friend used him credit card to order a pizza and they then tried to buy three laptops from Dell.ie with it.

It would be worth trying to remember if you made any transaction like that guy did because the fraud department of most banks eventually put you in contact with the Gardaí so it would be good if you could catch the guy who did it.

Best of luck with the issue, hope you don't have to pay it back yourself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Sangre wrote: »
    foreign transactions can often cause a card to go way over its limit.

A couple of years ago I was in Thailand for a few weeks and used my card once in a restaurant.
    8 months later charges showed up for some random Bangkok jewelery shops for a load of different purchases in a 3 hour time frame, totalling around E3,000

Bank picked up on it before I did and called me straight away, then sorted it all out when I confirmed I hadn't gone on some mad jewelry buying bender.

Advertisement