Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cinema opening July 4th!!!!!!!

Options
  • 26-05-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

:D:D Alleluia, and thank GOD! :D:D

The Cineplex opposite Dunnes has been doing my head in with the brutal line-up of films. I honestly was beginning to think they were picking the worst dross they could get just to drive us mad so we'd eat more popcorn.

And the number of times I've had to get up out of my seat to give them a bollicking for either starting the film off in split-screen (so it looks like the actors are going around walking on their own heads), or leaving the lights on....:confused:

I hope they show some decent flicks in the new Omniplex! By which I mean, gasp, horror, the odd foreign film - or even a decent Arty film, like Into The Wild.

Here's hoping...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The cinema in drinagh i presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Holyharry

That's right, just down from the roundabout... drove past it the other day. Looks very well indeed. Parking looks limited enough for a cinema of it's size, but i guess they know what they're doing.

I've driven to the IFC and the Screen in D'Olier Street in Dublin to catch films not shown in Wexford - I love film with a passion - so I'm hoping they take an inspired approach when choosing which films to show.

Wexford Omniplex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

If you are after 'arty' or 'foreign film I really recommend the Art center cinema club....

to guarantee a seat you have to be a member which costs a few quid but entitles you to watch every film of the season (approx 15 films over 15 weeks) - I watched some great films that would never have previously even considered

Yes, that's a pretty good set-up.

I used to be a member, but I found I had already seen most of the films they were showing, they tend not to get them until a year or so after they've been released, and I've either got it on DVD or seen it somewhere else.

You can't beat an arty film on the really big screen with the cushty seats, and completely overpriced snacks. It's a kind of decadence. An orgy of the senses.

Aaaahhh the simple pleasures...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

The article you linked to claims that the cinema will be the most modern in Ireland but makes no mention of whether it will have digital projectors or not (only digital sound) - anybody aware if they are going digital?

Seeing as the new cinema is a replacement for the old one, I wouldn't hold out much hope of an improvement in programming - other than by virtue of the increase in the number of screens - it'll still be the same people deciding what to bring in wont it?

• Advertisement

Not sure about the digital projector.. god, they'd be crazy not to with a new cinema costing €7 million, rolls of film are about to become dated aren't they?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there intention is to use the extra screens to appeal to all tastes... I presume that includes people with taste... like my humble self :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pau8lieskins

It will be digital projectors and the cinema is all on one level with 8 screens though the selection of films is something we will have to wait and see, plus the prices I'm guessing we will see a large increase in ticket and concession prices currently at 8.50 a ticket and 7.40 for popcorn/drink.

Hopefully the film selection will improve the Savoy shows on average 6 films a week the same as the old Abbey(formally the Ritz) did and that had only one screen. I hope it doesn't become one of those cinemas that shows the same film across 2/3 screens at a time and attempts a broad selection for the people of Wexford town. I also think its a sad time due to the fact for the first time in 80 years there won't be a cinema in Wexford Town and i think it will loose passing trading being so far out of the town I can't see that many people walking out to Drinagh and Wexford Bus new service only goes to 5.45 (unless they start a late service)

The decline of the Savoy in the past few years has been sad and from my point of view it has never lived up the the great Abbey Cinema, the main reason for its decline is the management there has been around 8/9 managers in the past 2 years as oppose to 3 in its first 14 years of been open and the staff has changed so much though has become more stable in the past several months, there is 9/10 working there at the moment though how many going to the new cinema is unknown though 8 people are expected to be hired with in the next month,

Oh and 19th of June is when the Savoy will be closing. June 4th omniplex will be opened the film WALL-E is the big film to be released around then.

Aaahh, the Abbey. Those were the days alright. Although the two ladies at the front desk used to frighten the bejaysus out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Edward Ryan

It is great to see the new cinema is finally about to open. Only fault I see is the distance from the centre of town.

The current cineplex is in the ideal location but is just too small and there is no room to extend. In fairness it has being let go it the last 18 months or so and as a result I started using Enniscorthy alot more. However I now go to Arklow as it shows all the latest movies and has better opening hours than Enniscorthy.

I didn't realise that the Savoy was closing..

I always kinda had a soft spot for it. What will be taking its place?

• Advertisement

Well, here we are nine months later. The Omniplex has incredible seating, fabulous sound and the clarity of the projected films on the screens is quite stunning.

BUT.... it's all pointless, because the standard of film being shown is abysmal. It's generally Hollywood on steroids - empty, banal, sugary muck. You read about fabulous films being released to critical acclaim and with respectable box office figures, winning awards, and you wait and wait....

...and wait, but they never arrive in Wexford. Instead we get Fast & Furious 4 or 5 or whatever. Ok, fine, there's obviously plenty of people willing to to pay to watch that dross, and as many more who will go because there's nothing else to see, but does it have to be baloney all the time? Can't they show even one or two decent films?

Brutal :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I don't think its the cinema though. It is part of a chain so it gets what it is given.

Don't forget though, its for the role of the Arts Centre and the like to display the more cultured films. The Drinagh cinema has a primary role of getting people through the door so it won't take huge risks with films.

Would be nice if it had a 'risky' film per week or something like that. Perhaps drop them an email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Black Lead

Its due to cost of renting the films from distributor that allot of films have not appeared in the Omniplex and Savoy before that, Ward Anderson Group won't pay the fees and there more expensive for the Omniplex because of the equipment the use

For example, Bolt the new disney film and Friday the 13th Omniplex didn't get that at time of release because they didn't want to pay the full price but bought it cheaper a month later
    You read about fabulous films being released to critical acclaim and with respectable box office figures, winning awards,, and you wait and wait and wait, but they never arrive in Wexford.
    Can't they show even one or two decent films?

What like Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Revolutionary Road, Frost Nixon, Gran Torino, Changeling that have been screened over the past few months in the Omniplex.

The only problem I have is the cost of 3d films and the lack of foreign films but thats not there fault sure we had the excellent Man On Wire but thats because Ward Anderson were involved in the making of it and most foreign films are not carried by distributors.

As for the Arts Centre Film Club its nothing more than a clique sitting around being all pretentious over a DVD.

If your a film lover like myself then there is nothing really to complain about regarding the Omniplex, I look forward to seeing Fast & Furious sometime this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Black Lead wrote: »
    Its due to cost of renting the films from distributor that allot of films have not appeared in the Omniplex and Savoy before that, Ward Anderson Group won't pay the fees and there more expensive for the Omniplex because of the equipment the use

For example, Bolt the new disney film and Friday the 13th Omniplex didn't get that at time of release because they didn't want to pay the full price but bought it cheaper a month later

What like Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler, Vicky Christina Barcelona, Revolutionary Road, Frost Nixon, Gran Torino, Changeling that have been screened over the past few months in the Omniplex.

The only problem I have is the cost of 3d films and the lack of foreign films but thats not there fault sure we had the excellent Man On Wire but thats because Ward Anderson were involved in the making of it and most foreign films are not carried by distributors.

As for the Arts Centre Film Club its nothing more than a clique sitting around being all pretentious over a DVD.

If your a film lover like myself then there is nothing really to complain about regarding the Omniplex, I look forward to seeing Fast & Furious sometime this week.

You sure? :)

I agree it's not as bad as has been made out, but they surely have enough capacity to carry at least one slightly below the radar or foreign film - if it's of sufficient quality - on a regular basis?

Have often looked at schedule there and just seen pure drivel. Love the seats mind!

Here's the line up for this week, similar to previous week...

Bolt

Dragonball: Evolution

Fast And Furious

Marley and Me

Monsters Vs. Aliens

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Race To Witch Mountain

The Boat That Rocked

I could bring the kids to Bolt and maybe Monsters v. Aliens. But really, it's all soul cancer.

Here's what's available in other cinemas in Ireland this week...

In The Loop

Fifty Dead Men Walking

Let The Right One In

The Damned United

Tony Manero

Waveriders

Two Lovers

Any one of those, even for an afternoon showing on a Sunday/Saturday, would help.

Holyharry wrote: »
    Here's the line up for this week, similar to previous week...

Bolt

Dragonball: Evolution

Fast And Furious

Marley and Me

Monsters Vs. Aliens

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Race To Witch Mountain

The Boat That Rocked

I could bring the kids to Bolt and maybe Monsters v. Aliens. But really, it's all soul cancer.

Soul Cancer to you perhaps but I've seen all those films in the past few weeks and there not that bad there what you expect them to be, Dragonball another awful attempt to Americanized a Japanese property with redeemable action scenes in the later half of the film, Fast And Furious lightweight nearly non existent plot mix with fast cars and action, Marley and Me a DogRomCom, Paul Blart: Mall Cop predicable by the numbers comedy, Race To Witch Mountain remake easter holiday cash in for kids and another reason Dwayne Johnson shoud go back to his day job. The Boat That Rocked quite good english comedy great cast though suffers from this

Holyharry wrote: »
    Here's what's available in other cinemas in Ireland this week...

In The Loop

Fifty Dead Men Walking

Let The Right One In

The Damned United

Tony Manero

Waveriders

Two Lovers

Any one of those, even for an afternoon showing on a Sunday/Saturday, would help.[/quote]

Guess you drive up the the lighthouse cinema allot ? Let The Right One In/Waveriders and Fifty Dead Men Walking are in the screen cinema and over the past several months the Omniplex has been showing more films that are also in the Screen, more than we ever had in the Savoy Cineplex so they could perhaps get those films

Let The Right One In is overrated but the most interesting vampire film I've seen in a long time, The Damned United is the only film for that list that i really want to see

BTW, This weekend you have Crank 2 to look forward to another Jason Statham simple plot crazy stunts lots of action adventure. I've come to love Jason Statham over the past year his films border on comedy there so bad and predictable and thats what i love about them.

You sure? :)

I agree it's not as bad as has been made out, but they surely have enough capacity to carry at least one slightly below the radar or foreign film - if it's of sufficient quality - on a regular basis?

Have often looked at schedule there and just seen pure drivel. Love the seats mind!

They do have capacity with 8 screens and there is a market for them I remember the Savoy having this drive were people wrote down what films they would like to see and they got a huge response but all these public opinions were dumped and nothing was done about it for what ever reason.

The cinema shows whats its given enjoy what comes if you don't like something give it a try open you mind abit

Advertisement