Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Film(s) and why

Options
  • 01-07-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

So what are everyone's favourites? There's so many to choose from, so here are a few of mine:

Mulholland Drive-- A wonderfully unsettling masterpiece
    Goodfellas-- No finer mob movie
    The Godfather-- Brando
    Heat-- Great L.A. crime epic with an amazing cast
    Batman (1989)-- The original, darkest, and best!
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-- Jack makes me laugh and cry
    The Deer Hunter-- Walken & De Niro at their finest
    City of God-- Great story, amazing movie
    Halloween-- First and best stalk 'n' slash
    A Streetcar Named Desire-- Brando at his best
    2pac: Resurrection-- Best made documantary I've ever watched
    Swingers-- One for the lads
    Reservoir Dogs-- Tarantino's best

That's all I can think of, will add more though :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

From the Charter:
    SPAMMING/POINTLESS THREADS
    Do not start posting threads such as:

* Best/Worst threads. (Example)
    I recommend reading it before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

basquille wrote: »
    From the Charter:

I recommend reading it before posting.

Sorry about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sorry about any confusion, I'm re-opening this, and may have to re-examine the charter in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Blade Runner - Because I'm a big sci-fi fan and this ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Raiders of the Lost Ark, because its the best film ever made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Edward Scissorhands

The set, the music, the make-up, Johnny Depp. Love it!

And to think Tom Cruise was meant to play the lead! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Serenity - because its sci-fi, funny, with very dark moments, some great action sequences and Nathan Fillion is legend as Mal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Gonna go with stuff besides the Pulp Fictions and the Shawshanks, they're a given. I'll go with stuff I've had opposition on

Blues Brothers - Ridiculous, irreverent, hilarious, exciting, great music
    Caddyshack - See above
    This is Spinal Tap - Hilarious, improvised, accurate (Ozzy Ozbourne once said he didn't know for ages that it was a piss-take, because it was so spot-on :D)
    High Fidelity - Romcom for men, basically. Great music once again. Love the book too - some parts of it I felt like I was reading about myself
    The Darjeeling Limited - As Wes Anderson movies go, this is really only a better movie than Bottle Rocket, but there's just something about the flow of it or something that I love

I'll add more later...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

2001: A Space Odyssey- The ultimate expression of film as an artform
    Apocalypse Now- Devastating, action packed, and filled with epic performances
    Seven Samurai- Set up what has become staples of all action films
    In The Mood For Love- Beautifully written, acted and shot
    There Will Be Blood- The greatest film of the 21st Century
    Raiders of the Lost Ark- Adventure just doesn't get any better

I really don't know how people can list off favourite films so easy.. I'm at a loss to think of just one! :D

But 'The Shawshank Redemption' is a given!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Toss up between Serenity and L.A. Confidential for me. Serenity for the diologue, great action scenes, emotional closure from the series, and freakin' Nathon Fillion in a (semi)big budget movie.
    L.A. Confidential for the awesome noir style, classy writing, Kevin Spacy and the first movie I saw my favourite nutsack actor in, Russell Crowe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Yeah LA Confidential was very good. I loved Kevin Spacey in it :P

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon would be my favourite movie. Behind all those beautiful fight scenes is a very touching love story.

Blade Runner would also be vying for my favourite movie. Sean Young is so hot in it ! The book is pretty good as well, worth a read if you enjoy the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

For me it is Kellys Heroes, as it was the first film I was brought to in the cinema. It had everything great action,great comedy and a great cast. It has stuck in my mind since the day I saw it. When it was released on VHS I bought it,when the dvd came out I bought it and if released on blu ray I will but it. It is by no means the best film ever made and thats a different list entirely but Kellys Heroes is my favourite film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

To this day can't figure out the fuss with Shawshank. Good film but jesus...

Anyway, for me, Magnolia is about as close to the perfect film you can get.

Also, Naked by Mike Leigh and Amelie are memorable ones for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I had been meaning to start a thread of this title for ages, so I was delighted that someone else did. This thread isn't exactly my style though: I would be more inclined to mention one film and write a veritable essay on it. I'll meet this thread half way, by giving a couple of lines on my favourite film.

Se7en is my favourite film, by a country mile.I love it for two broad reasons: 1. It is consistently well put together up until the end, with fine acting, cinematography, characters, pacing, etc. 2. The ending has more impact than speeding train.

I'll discuss point 2 more, as I feel point 1 is a bit too vague to elaborate on in less than a thousand words.
    Serial killer movies often annoy me if they take the angle that all the victims deserved to die, as I feel they rarely explore how insufficient this is as a motive (I'm looking at you, Saw franchise!). What about the killer? How can they presume to judge people like that? I mean, maybe the victims are total scum, but anyone who presumes to kill them for their crimes is no better.
    Se7en is different. This is one movie where you have got to hand it to the murderer, as he holds himself to the same moral standards as the rest of us. He recognized that he too was a sinner, and thus he too had to be punished. This meant that he would not be around to see the fruits of his labours, so his sick deeds were clearly done for unselfish reasons. He really did believe that he was doing the right thing, and he was prepared to pursue this belief with unbelievable conviction (the film indicates that he had been planning the operation for five years, as this was when he opened his bank account with cash).

Incredible script. SAW is a cheap rip-off with none of the same genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah can't really narrow it down to one film, but theres a few that definitely stand above the rest:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: I liked this film the first time I watched it, but every subsequent time has made me appreciate it more and more. The structure is so original, the acting so stunning (Kate Winslet especially), and the script never cloying, but always witty, original and affectionate. Shows what can be done with a genre formula. Could watch it again and again.

My Neighbour Totoro: Toy Story would nearly make it for nostalgia value, but Totoro pips it. One film that leaves a smile on my face every time I watch it. Just the happiest, most joyful and innocent movie ever made.

Persona: Bergman is just on a completely different level to every other director in my mind, and Persona is the film that truly won me over. Really made me realise what you can do with a masterful cinematographer, two amazing actresses, and the greatest director/screenwriter who has ever lived. For a film which is mostly just conversations (with some surreal imagery and complex structure for good measure), its just so engaging, shocking and intelligent. Intense and brilliant.

Rashomon: Just love the way this film is structured. Its a dark, clever and sometimes blackly comic film that was decades ahead of its time. Such an original film remains as powerful today as ever.

Stalker: such a beautifully composed and haunting film that has a hell of a lot to say. Really blew me away, totally worth the effort.

Sunset Boulevard: Proof that they don't make them like they use to. The most impressive Hollywood history lesson ever.

Serenity: The best sci-fi action film around. Funny, action packed and a triumph against the odds. Endlessly rewatchable.

Amelié: a recent entry, but a visually stunning, original and hilarious comedy that has a heart of gold.

The Lord of the Rings: One of the finest adaptations in cinema history as well as being a thoroughly entertaining film. Hard to believe that it's been nearly seven years since we were first introduced to Jackson's vision of Middle Earth. All three films stand up magnificently well remain the bar by which I judge all others.

Serenity: Every aspect is tailored to perfection. I laugh, cry, sit on the edge of my seat every time I see it which is at least once a month.

The Lost Boys: One of the defining films of my childhood. Like Serenity I can rewatch it over and over again never tiring of it. Some great dialogue, fantastic performances and Joel Schumacer's finest hour.

The Boondock Saints: The definition of cult classic. 2 hours of madcap violence, inventive swearing and the greatest hitmen duo since Leon.

Stargate: Alongside Serenity it stands as my favourite Sci Fi film ever. I cannot count how many copies of the video I wore out as a child, alongside two DVDs and a Blu Ray which has been watched 12 times. It's a film which captured my childhood and every time I watch it I feel like a kid again discovering it for the first time. Everyone knows the TV series but it's surprising how few know that it's based on a film.

Dellamorte Dellamore: The last of the great Italian horror films. Rupert Everett is on fine form as our hero, a graveyard caretaker who is tasked with sending the risen dead back to their slumber. Plenty of sex, violence and humour. The only real shame is the lack of a R2 DVD release though in recent months rumours of a sequel have surfaced.

Night Watch: The greatest Russian sci fi/fantasy film ever made. With a budget that wouldn't cover catering cost on a Hollywood film Timur Bekmambetov gave the world the most visually stunning and entertaining film of 2005.

Transformers: Based on an 80s toy line, Michael Bay delivered last summers stand out film. Just a pure joy to watch from start to finish. I'll admit to jumping out of my chair with a massive smile across my face as I heard Peter Cullen's opening voice over and then sitting teary eyed as I listened to his closing.

The Mist: Just the perfect old school horror film. Opening this weekend over here I cannot recommend it enough. I could talk about it for hours but it really is a film that one should discover for themselves.

Zodiac: How this wasn't even nominated for best film aswell as every other category at this years Oscars is beyond me. The finest film of 2007 bar none, with all round superb performances, a great script and some of the most unsettling scenes of all time.

Darko's list comes fairly come to being mine anyways.. some great taste in there mate!

Darko's name reminded me :)

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Donnie Darko yet! Great film, one of the most original in years. Multi layered and demands repeat viewings! Great start to Gylenhaal's career too!

Also Fight Club. WHAT. A. FILM. I could write all day on this one so I'll leave it at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Children Of Men - What a film! Alfonso Cuaron's direction (directing? I dunno!) of this film is stunning, it almost seems like the film is shot in about 10 very long takes

Total Recall - One of my faves from childhood, still looks really good today, Verhoevens finest work (not saying too much I know!)

Brain Dead - Absolutely the goriest and most ridiculous film ever made! brilliant!

Requiem For A Dream - Disturbing but brilliant film from Darren Arofonsky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

one that jumped to my mind is True romance, simply brilliant!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I agree with Basquille, i dont know how people can shortlist their favourite films without being genre discriminatory. (is that a word? :D)
    Reservoir Dogs-- Tarantino's best

But i am going to spur a discussion as the result of this. I wholeheartedly disagree about RD being Tarantino's best. As much as im not mad on his films, i think jackie Brown is probably his best film. The characters are less plastic and have more depth and development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly !

Absolutely superb! Brilliant acting and extremely emotional. Stupendous!

faceman wrote: »
    I agree with Basquille, i dont know how people can shortlist their favourite films without being genre discriminatory. (is that a word? :D)

But i am going to spur a discussion as the result of this. I wholeheartedly disagree about RD being Tarantino's best. As much as im not mad on his films, i think jackie Brown is probably his best film. The characters are less plastic and have more depth and development

Maybe I should have said 'My favourite' instead of the best.

As regards character development, I'd have to disagree. In Reservoir Dogs the characters, in my opinion, are developed pretty well. This is the reason for the flashbacks. By the end of the movie we feel we know a great deal about the two characters of Mr. Orange and Mr. White. I can agree that some weren't developed at all, e.g. Mr. Brown and Mr. Blue, but that's just the type of film it is. Also, I think the story is much better than Jackie Brown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Maybe I should have said 'My favourite' instead of the best.

As regards character development, I'd have to disagree. In Reservoir Dogs the characters, in my opinion, are developed pretty well. This is the reason for the flashbacks. By the end of the movie we feel we know a great deal about the two characters of Mr. Orange and Mr. White. I can agree that some weren't developed at all, e.g. Mr. Brown and Mr. Blue, but that's just the type of film it is. Also, I think the story is much better than Jackie Brown.

Im not having a pop dude, just discussing so hope you didnt take offense. :)

IMO knowing a character better doesnt necessarily mean the character has any depth. Take James Bond for example. I will give some more detail later when i have a chance :)

No, You've got me all wrong! :)

I'm just discussing what I think makes RD a better film. Don't get me wrong, have Jackie Brown in my collection too! Film debate is what this forum is for! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

faceman wrote: »
    Im not having a pop dude, just discussing so hope you didnt take offense. :)
    No, You've got me all wrong! :)
    I'm just discussing what I think makes RD a better film. Don't get me wrong, have Jackie Brown in my collection too! Film debate is what this forum is for! :D

Come on, fight!!!

Only joking, I used to like Tarantino but whenever I see him in anything now I just want to lamp the tw@ on account of him being an ass & an arrogant knob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The Lord of the Rings: One of the finest adaptations in cinema history as well as being a thoroughly entertaining film. Hard to believe that it's been nearly seven years since we were first introduced to Jackson's vision of Middle Earth. All three films stand up magnificently well remain the bar by which I judge all others.

Serenity: Every aspect is tailored to perfection. I laugh, cry, sit on the edge of my seat every time I see it which is at least once a month.

The Lost Boys: One of the defining films of my childhood. Like Serenity I can rewatch it over and over again never tiring of it. Some great dialogue, fantastic performances and Joel Schumacer's finest hour.

The Boondock Saints: The definition of cult classic. 2 hours of madcap violence, inventive swearing and the greatest hitmen duo since Leon.

Stargate: Alongside Serenity it stands as my favourite Sci Fi film ever. I cannot count how many copies of the video I wore out as a child, alongside two DVDs and a Blu Ray which has been watched 12 times. It's a film which captured my childhood and every time I watch it I feel like a kid again discovering it for the first time. Everyone knows the TV series but it's surprising how few know that it's based on a film.

Dellamorte Dellamore: The last of the great Italian horror films. Rupert Everett is on fine form as our hero, a graveyard caretaker who is tasked with sending the risen dead back to their slumber. Plenty of sex, violence and humour. The only real shame is the lack of a R2 DVD release though in recent months rumours of a sequel have surfaced.

Night Watch: The greatest Russian sci fi/fantasy film ever made. With a budget that wouldn't cover catering cost on a Hollywood film Timur Bekmambetov gave the world the most visually stunning and entertaining film of 2005.

Transformers: Based on an 80s toy line, Michael Bay delivered last summers stand out film. Just a pure joy to watch from start to finish. I'll admit to jumping out of my chair with a massive smile across my face as I heard Peter Cullen's opening voice over and then sitting teary eyed as I listened to his closing.

The Mist: Just the perfect old school horror film. Opening this weekend over here I cannot recommend it enough. I could talk about it for hours but it really is a film that one should discover for themselves.

Zodiac: How this wasn't even nominated for best film aswell as every other category at this years Oscars is beyond me. The finest film of 2007 bar none, with all round superb performances, a great script and some of the most unsettling scenes of all time.

Darko,

Are you using my brain while I sleep? This is my list - make up your own :D.
    Great choices - all brilliant films, although I haven't seen the mist but I've read Stephen King's short story. Can't wait to see it in the flix.

If I was to pick one film it would be LOTR, no wait, Serenity (Girls, action, girls, humour, girls.....), no wait Transformers (Megan Fox - oh she most definitely is - well named there your parents :D) - argh I can't decide:eek:

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.......

Star
    wars

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Fight Club - Pitt, Norton, Soundtrack, Storyline All Win! :D

Advertisement