Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abandoned Ireland - Urban Exploration

Options
  • 03-07-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

www.AbandonedIreland.com

If anybody wants to get involved then please get in contact:
    Email – info@AbandonedIreland.com

If anybody sees this website and wants to go sightseeing round any of the locations then please take care. Accessing derelict buildings is dangerous. I do not want to hear about photographers falling through rotten floors or falling off walls. I can't emphasise enough - some of these structures are extremely dangerous.

Also please bear in mind I do not condone trespass or any other illegal activity. I do not want to hear about photographers being arrested. Take care and don’t do anything stupid.

And finally, please don’t try to arrange group gatherings to photograph any of these locations, urban exploration is a hobby which needs to be done cautiously and discreetly. Please don’t mess it up for the rest of us.

Regards
    Abandoned Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Some great shots on the site, are they stitched or fisheye?

Great site,excellent photos and you've collected some interesting history.I've only been to one of those places :( I need to get my arse into gear this summer and start exploring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

looks amazing. there's something so fascinating about decay like that!

i tried getting in Bolands Mills about a year back but couldnt find a way. Is it completely locked up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

just some feed back about the site itself a 'next' button at the bottom of the page would be useful as i had to scroll back up to the top to get to the next page everytime and also no lager version of the images that i could see :-( , minor annoyance though I loved the pictures and is a great idea for a site,

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

iamnothim - Bolands is a difficult one alright!

calex71 - You're absolutely right. I did add a next button on the Bolands page when I was throwing it together and I'll go back and sort the rest properly. I used Iweb for the site, very painful to make changes without uploading a whole ton of stuff.

Inibaz - drop me an email if you want to team up for some exploring: info@AbandonedIreland.com there are some good locations near you which I don't think either of us have covered.

If anybody else wants to get involved email: info@AbandonedIreland.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I really like the website and the idea.

But....those distorted curvy photographs are stomach-churning to look at. Would you not be better doing a 360° panorama of these places rather than stitching the photos together? I appreciate what you're trying to do but I found them head-wrecking.

Having said that, keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Very interesting site with lots of scope of potential.. Like the way you have combined the stories of these places with the photos. The Bolands Mill one is interesting as I pass it almost everyday and have often wondered what it would be like inside..

One note I'm not 100% keen on is the same lens or stitching seems to be used for every shot. Would be good to see you mix it up a bit..
    Overall really interesting and long over due for Ireland to get something like this..
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Really enjoyed the site.

Would be interested to know more about the equiptment and how you get your shots..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Was going by the old Ferry Terminal in Dun Laoire today looked like it had potential anybody ever been in there!

PM sent AI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Was going by the old Ferry Terminal in Dun Laoire today looked like it had potential anybody ever been in there!

I've scouted it out before.

Amazing building.

Lads thanks for the emails, PMs and comments on the site.

Just wanted to make it clear that the website is not just about the photography of one person

If people want to submit articles then they will get full credit (or if they want to be anonymous then that's cool too). If people want to get involved with the site then we're looking for photographers, researchers and web guys. Its a non-commercial site and we're just out to document places before they disappear.

Please don't email or pm if you're just looking for a way into a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Awesome site mate, I've added a few of those places to my "todo" list!

I've my urbex pics on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slinky2000/

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Firetrap wrote: »
    I really like the website and the idea.

But....those distorted curvy photographs are stomach-churning to look at. Would you not be better doing a 360° panorama of these places rather than stitching the photos together? I appreciate what you're trying to do but I found them head-wrecking.

Having said that, keep up the good work.

I would have to agree. I'd love to see a combination of 360degree panoramas (VR?) and "normal" perspective photos. I just think they get a bit "samey" after a while. They look beautiful, but hard to get a real feel for the scale of the rooms and buildings. Just my opinion.
    Still though, fascinating subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I could recommend Fort Dunree at Innishoven peninsula.

www.AbandonedIreland.com

Updated the site.

Three most recent new locations added with the green buttons have the Virtual Reality scenes included

Doonass House, Clare. An amazing mansion house, looks like nobody has entered the building for over 10 years. Very advanced state of decay.

Mountshannon house, Clare. Beautiful very expansive ruin, just the shell remaining. Was the finest stucture in the area, built on a 900 acre estate. Interesting previous owners and occupants!

Katie Dalys pub, Ballina/Killaloe
    An abandoned pub complete with full barrells of Heinken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Must say again that I really enjoyed the site. the updates are great and I love the virtual tours...

Well done !

ThOnda > Fort Dunree is defintely on the list of places to visit!

sunny2004 > Thanks for the compliment. There's still a lot more work to be done, already got a back log of places that we have photographed but haven't done the web pages. Still got a huge list of places to go and photograph and we will go back and redo the VR stuff for all the locations on the website.

Slinky > If you want to get involved with some exploring some new places then get in contact! Noooo HDR though!...just kidding...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

isn't dunree a tourist attraction?
    i think there's a visitor's centre there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The bunker section is all tourist'd up, but the upper part of the fort, where all the old barracks, etc are is completly run down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if your going on any explorations up the east side please please PM me,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Just looked through the OP's website there, some of those locations are brilliant, i'd love to try some of these places out,.,:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Really interesting site.. Some excellent shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IrelandsEye2009

AI wrote: »
    www.AbandonedIreland.com

Updated the site.

Three most recent new locations added with the green buttons have the Virtual Reality scenes included

Doonass House, Clare. An amazing mansion house, looks like nobody has entered the building for over 10 years. Very advanced state of decay.

Mountshannon house, Clare. Beautiful very expansive ruin, just the shell remaining. Was the finest stucture in the area, built on a 900 acre estate. Interesting previous owners and occupants!

Katie Dalys pub, Ballina/Killaloe
    An abandoned pub complete with full barrells of Heinken

you should come to dublin we have explored some new places you might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Haven't got the chance to look through your full website, but have to say well dne. It's brilliant.

To be honest, the layout and navigation could be better/easier, but as a concept it is fantastic.

Well done, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

the website is sweet dude.. you have given me a whole load of places to visit now when i get back home from wales man. thanks

btw would anyone be interested in visiting some of these places with me? probably around waterford or wicklow or dublin

btw i noticed You dont have Wicklow on the list .. do you know about the La touche Hotel?
    im going there in about 10 hours ..has anyone been inside?

Advertisement