Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone having problems with UTV today?

• 05-09-2008 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Just got home and noticed pages were taking an age to load so ran a few speed tests. On my 3Mb line on Speedtest.net I'm seeing an ave download speed of just 441kbs, with irishisptest.com it's ave at 200kbs, upload of 248!
    QOS is between 3% & 60%. Anyone else seeing this? Never seen speeds this low before, normally used OpenDns, same story with this as obtaining automatically.

Edit: Down to 150kbs d/l and QOS of 1%, what the hell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

No problems here Damo, mine is as slow as ever and I'm UTV BB too.

To be fair there are times when it's super fast and others when it's sluggish. Think a lot depends on where your based and time youre using the internet however the speeds you mention do seem almost snail like.

Get on to their technical support mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Hey Rich, was sort of hoping it wasn't just me :o. Normally run a speedtest each day just to get an ave, yesterday think it was about 4700kbs, haven't done anything with my setup since so tech support is the only option I suppose :(.

been in a queue for the last 5 minutes, forgot how much I hate that crappy muzak! speed has gone to sh*t, couldn't even measure an upload speed last test, download is approaching dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

I'm in Limerick/Cratloe area and were pure crap earlier but seems to be back to normal in last 15 mins.

Finally got through to someone, only 20 min or so, at least they didn't hang up without answering which is what happened last time! Anyway asked for my number, told him (I'm on the Swords exchange). Told me there's upgrade work going on in the area that's having a knock on effect on all providers.

Said there's a thread here about it so after looking around -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055368054 .

By area I take it him means the Republic as there's people from everywhere complaining. No idea of when it'll be finished :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Straight Flush

I'm on 2Mb with UTV in Castlebar and it's been ridiculously slow over the last few days from noon onwards and becoming worst of all in the evenings. Even over the past three months, speeds haven't been anything to shout about. Here's tonight's speed though:

318905390.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Having issues myself all week. Had DNS issues before, but that was sorted by using OpenDNS servers instead.

Speedtest.net is slow to load... though speeds aren't terrible bad (3mbit)

Pinging www.speedtest.net [69.17.117.207] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 69.17.117.207: bytes=32 time=238ms TTL=40
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 69.17.117.207: bytes=32 time=238ms TTL=40
    Reply from 69.17.117.207: bytes=32 time=237ms TTL=40

Ping statistics for 69.17.117.207:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 237ms, Maximum = 238ms, Average = 237ms

318964399.png

Best I've had all night, probably due to contention down at this time. 5 times faster than around 7pm, still crap though.

319009890.png

Pinging www.speedtest.net [69.17.117.207] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 69.17.117.207: bytes=32 time=254ms TTL=39
    Reply from 69.17.117.207: bytes=32 time=262ms TTL=39
    Reply from 69.17.117.207: bytes=32 time=260ms TTL=39
    Reply from 69.17.117.207: bytes=32 time=256ms TTL=39

Ping statistics for 69.17.117.207:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 254ms, Maximum = 262ms, Average = 258ms

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

ive had that most of the week with utv low speeds so annoying

Massive difference between when I woke up and now. How am I getting normal speeds 2 hours ago and almost a 10th of it now? Could understand line work affecting speeds but this is too unpredictable :confused:

319131386.png

319146064.png

319171821.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

While it sometimes seems a bit sluggish, I haven't had major problems.
    Speedtest is always similar 3Mb

319172744.png

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 47ms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I wonder when this is going to be sorted, its really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Same here - poor UTV speeds all week and unpredictable. Some days and times, it would be quicker to use dial-up :mad: I haven't bothered to ring - I'm sure Julian is a nice guy, but listening to his recording (ad nauseum) thanking me for contacting UTV and assuring me that someone will be attending to me soon is not on my preferred Saturday afternoon's entertainment list.
    Hopefully, it will resolve itself soon - I'm taking a Buddhist approach 'This is a temporary inconvenience' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Same here my 3MB is only getting 257 download, Kilkenny exchange.

l'll put up with it because I'm switching to BT 6Mb due on Sept 9th :)after 5 years with UTV

Reason I'm changing is because they were over charging me €10 for for a few months and they would only lower the price if I signed up to a new 12 month contract. But there website really only cares about new customers and not there existing ones.

There customer support is piss poor as well, It took 2 and a half weeks to get a reply from their ticket support system about above issue and it took 5 phone calls to them before someone would even ring me back.(I think they have an Indian call center because it was an Indian accent on 2 occasions)

Ah well I'll put up with their crummy speeds for a bit longer

Email responses on UTV are absolutely dismal - I stopped trying to get any help via email tickets over a year ago. Most remain unanswered or only responded to with a useless generic reply.
    Phone help on UTV (in my experience) is better - though you often have to wait a very looooong time to get through. If you are lucky enough to get someone with a Northern Irish accent (not Julian :D) they seem to be really good and know their stuff.
    I got a non-national person recently and he couldn't help at all with my query - I don't think he's actually IN India as such. I suspect it's more a training issue than anything else. I'm sure it must be the lousiest job going to have to listen to irate complainers on the phone, especially if they've been forced to wait for 30 minutes or more. I try to remember this when I'm on - but it's not easy :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I got a slow connection too atm (Dublin 15); my ping has become laughably bad at 180-185 (the lowest I got it was about 30) & can't use the net for anything like video streaming / gaming etc. At first I thought it was my wireless which had been playing up, but tests have shown it to be the connection itself

I haven't thought of ringing UTV, but from what I'm reading all I can hope to do is sit on my hands & hope this mysterious "upgrade" gets completed. It's extremely frutrating, to say the least, that even simple use of the internet like browsing web-sites is an exercise in waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

Namesco wrote: »

Reason I'm changing is because they were over charging me €10 for for a few months and they would only lower the price if I signed up to a new 12 month contract. But there website really only cares about new customers and not there existing ones.

There customer support is piss poor as well, It took 2 and a half weeks to get a reply from their ticket support system about above issue and it took 5

i totally agree, i tried to get one of their new offers but they wanted a new 12 mth contract etc..

im waiting to see what bt bring to carlow rang last week and they sau they only have 1mb here at present

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

... with UTV since early last week too.

Using speedtest.net, the fastest download speed I was getting was around 247kb/s.

Called UTV this morning at 9.30, was told my issue had "been passed onto the technical department, and someone would call in about 2 hours."

So, at 4.00 I called back, got the same guy who again told me my issue had "been passed onto the technical department, and someone would call in about 2 hours." When I told him that's what I was told about 6 hours ago, he apologised and basically said, although I called the "Technical Support" (I use the term lightly) number, he could "only direct my call, but as they are experiencing difficulties, can't put me through straight away" and was told that "the callback time was 2 hours."

So I asked to be put through to accounts to see what the story with payment is, as I am not paying for a service I am not getting.

Guess what.....???

"I can pass your number onto the accounts department, and someone will call in about 2 hours."

..................... still waiting!

It's ridiculous!!! Are their any decent BB providers in this country??

Anyway, got home this evening and tested it again, seems to be fixed..... but for how long is the question!??

320223535.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha! What's worse is that I'm not in charge of the phone / BB or else I'd be off this poxy service like a shot; right now I'd kill for a ping of 98.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/320263119.png

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

LarWright wrote: »

320223535.png

I would give my left nut for speeds like that.

I'd upload my speed but website times out before i can run the speedtest. Ran one from irish isp speedtest and it shows up at 2% quality of service.

My 4 Mbit line is jumping from 1 kb/s to 120 kbs/ most of the time. Ping times are embarrasing.

Theres a post on here about the problems I was having with UTV a few months ago that took 3 months to sort out. My area got upgraded a month ago, but my line didn't. All my friends on same line now have a 7.6 mbit line. If I call and ask them to drop my line to a 3 mbit so it can be upgraded, it will just be knocked down to a 2 mbit (previous problem). All pointless as I can't even get dial up speeds.

I don't even want to call them as I'l lose the plot and end up driving up there to sort it out the 'untechnical' way!!!

My connection is so bad today that it took 3 minutes for this page to load! The last 2 speed tests I did couldn't complete - stuck at 38kbs on a 2Mb package :eek: with a ping of 786. Dial up would definitely be better.
    So I tried to ring UTV support - 25 minutes waiting for an answer but just same old, same old. Not their fault, Eircom are upgrading, we're putting pressure on them etc etc. He couldn't give me any indication of if/when it would be sorted - just took my email address!
    I just don't know what else to do - this has been bad for a couple of weeks now, but never as bad as today. At 3 am I can get 1200 kbs, but that's only ok if you can sleep all day. I tried emailing Eircom, but they won't respond when they discover you're not an Eircom customer.
    Is there no smiley for despair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tradalai

Same issue with me 3Mb user. Last night speed was less than 200k download and this morn was back up at normal speed. UTV don't answer support emails so I called. After about 20mins I got support - says this is a nationwide issue since Eircom updated the switches and they have no idea when it might be fixed.

Do you think switching back to Eircom will fix it:cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Have the same speed issues (Dublin 5 ) as everyone else - crawling all day and all evening, goes back to full speed (on 3Mbs) from 1.00am - ish.

Logged a call with CS last week, did all the usual rigmaroll through the router status, they logged a fault with Eircom, downgraded the line to 2Mb (thanks....:eek:).................................. no change to service though, still crappy speeds.

Spoke to CS just now, told straight away that speeds are being throttled by Eircom, causing problems for lots of customers in Dublin area, Eircom having problems since the upgrades and are throttling in order to prevent the system falling over. He indicated that there was some surprise at the upgrades being implemented - concern that the infrastructure wasn't up to it. Issue has been escalated to Eircom management, some resolution was expected last week, but no indication as yet of when it might be resolved.

UPC looks very inviting......................

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

320776869.png

3MB connection

This is what I'm still getting, thank god I'm switching soon:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Namesco wrote: »
    320776869.png

3MB connection

This is what I'm still getting, thank god I'm switching soon:(

just been on told by UTV CS its an eircom issue etc.

they are monitoring the thread on here though. The CS i spoke too told me that.

i rebooted my router and i get it from 500KB to 2500 download which is not bad sppeds from speedtest.

its been cack lately in the evenings, but seem fine during the day.

damn eircom.

anybody try the contacting the papers about this.

• I'm on UTV 5mbps (line can't handle any more than that).

Speedtest.net results
    Ping: 153ms
    1572kbps down
    231kbps up

It has been like this all day. I'm synced at 5mbps down / 512kbps up.

Load of pox. I know this isn't really UTV's fault and all they can do is hassle Eircom incessantly. Eircom really should cop the f**k on - during my time in their tech support the engineers were as adept as a steaming pile of sh!te and I can only assume they haven't become any more competent since May. Between this and the high interleaving, online gaming will be a thing of the past here soon.

this is this evenings

320795199.png

was slower earlier and went down to around 15/20kbs for a lot of this test so don't think that result is an accurate picture.

Ringing again tomorrow, I know the reply will be the same "Eircoms fault, no estimate for when it'll be fixed" but to be honest even if that is the case it's irrelevant to me.

I pay UTV for a service, NOT Eircom, and at the moment they are unable to provide it. I don't see why in that case they should be expecting me to pay for it, what's the point of paying a premium for a 3mb line and unlimited downloads if the only time you can get anywhere near the service you expect it is at 4am? :rolleyes:

If this is REALLY Eircom's fault, then the fact they are still running those "get speeds up top 7.6Mb with your Broadband" adverts really sticks in the gullet. Sick of hearing that smart-assed ad on the radio about usain bolt while they are crippling the country's connectivity.

edit: Oh and replying to this thread took forever :mad:

edit edit: Having waited for Speedtest to load, I very slowly managed to get a latest reading - my downstream's slower than my upstream ?? :(
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/320804651.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pzurdo

Is there any provision in the T&Cs for a rebate on their charges? It's been like this for a while and I believe we should be discounted in our next bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

I'm in Limerick on Caherdavin exchange and I'm having these problems too. It's very unpredictable: sometimes it's grand and I'm at my normal speed of about 4.3MB and other times it drops down to near dial-up. I'm getting download speeds of 23kbps using Rapidshare at times.

It's all over the place. Very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

UTV customer in North Galway - slow speeds also. 2mb connection. Speedtest reveals:
    1148kbps DL
    68kbps UL

Advertisement