Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists, Go use the footpad.

• 04-12-2008 10:49pm

(this post is intended for outside city centre where hitting pedestrians isn't an issue..).

Seriously, I'm sick of driving along, getting caught behind a guy on a bike and having to overtake him dangerously.. seems to have happened to me constantly all week. all while there's a six foot wide footpad to his left with no one on it.

I see this happening all the time around galway and wouldn't mind if the footpad had babies lying all around the place that he might hit.. but an empty footpad? then i have to pass him out and make sure not to catch him on the left or hit traffic on the right..

so yea, break the law and use an empty footpad once in a while. make life easier for everyone and safer for yourselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cyclists are road users too. It is illegal for them to cycle on a footpath. Before you overtake the cyclist be sure there is no oncoming traffic and then the worry about hitting traffic on the right is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Footpad? You know it's 'footpath', right?

i know what a footpath is.. thats why i said "break the law and use it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, just for clarity sake, a "footpad" is a term for a thief on foot.

On the meaning of your post, the cyclist has as much right to the road as do you. You should not be "dangerously overtaking" him, or anybody. In fact I'd say you should not be driving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Seriously, I'm sick of driving along, getting caught behind a guy on a bike and having to overtake him dangerously..

ya know ya don't have to overtake him, if it's that dangerous why would you?

nipplenuts wrote: »

On the meaning of your post, the cyclist has as much right to the road as do you. You should not be "dangerously overtaking" him, or anybody. In fact I'd say you should not be driving!

don't see cyclists paying "cycle tax"..

and the point of my post is that it's still dangerous. In europe, they have cycles lanes on footpads in the middle of cities like.. that in my opinion is a much better option.

towel401 wrote: »
    ya know ya don't have to overtake him, if it's that dangerous why would you?

cause i'm dyin for a **** sometimes when i'm driving.

or i'm late for work, one of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Conversely, I hate dangerous drivers who overtake into oncoming traffic risking major injury to cyclists just so they can get to their destination two minutes earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

In europe, they have cycles lanes on footpads in the middle of cities like.. that in my opinion is a much better option.

In Europe they have a nicer climate and cheaper beer also. It is not the cyclists fault that there are no cycle paths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cullilingus

(this post is intended for outside city centre where hitting pedestrians isn't an issue..).

Cycling on the path due to a lack of pedestrians, is about as much justification as driving on the wrong side of the road due to a lack of cars.

There will be pedestrians, there would be no path of there wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

What annoys me about cyclists is they seem to think they are a hybrid of road user and pedestrian. I've noticed several times cyclists continuing to cycle through a pedestrian crossing when the light is green, even at really busy crossings, like the one from outside the Provost's front gate opposite Barbardos across to Grafton Street and the one outside Trinity Arts block onto Dawson/Nassau street. And they act really annoyed too as if everyone shouldn't be crossing the road, ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

don't see cyclists paying "cycle tax"..

and the point of my post is that it's still dangerous. In europe, they have cycles lanes on footpads in the middle of cities like.. that in my opinion is a much better option.
    European cities have highwaymen? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

*sigh*

All X are Y.
    Stupid f*cking X's.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

European cities have highwaymen? :confused:

Dandy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Have you ever seen a cyclist nearly get creamed when a car indicates to overtake, the following car thinks the car infront is turning right so undertakes it to nearly flatten the cyclist? just a taught, have seen it a few times... anyways back on topic.

If they use the roads then they should pay bloody tax and insurance :D
    And while cycling up the wickla gap then put some proper cloths on, just cause theyv got the ghey doesnt mean ive to see thier arses bobbing up and down in thier stoopid shiny shorts maken me blind when im trying to concentrate on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I fairness though, some cyclists do take the p1ss.

I think it's fair to say there are as many bad cyclists as there are bad drivers, not all even signal when turning. I can see the OP's point to a certain degree.

It's not a "paint all cyclists with the same brush" situation.

Fremen wrote: »
    Conversely, I hate dangerous drivers who overtake into oncoming traffic risking major injury to cyclists just so they can get to their destination two minutes earlier.
    when i cycled, i cycled on footpads.. i didn't put anyone else in danger and i didn't put myself in danger.

on the way home, in the pissing rain and dark, there were about 10 cars behind one cyclist with no luminous colours on him.. and each car went by him when they could.

he was in danger cause it was near impossible to see him,
    even if there is room for a car to pass him, he could easily dodge a gutter or his front wheel slide and him hit into the car..
    or the driver could be inexperienced and clip him or
    the driver mis-judge and hit an oncoming car.

the footpad in my opinion would have been a safer alternative as there were no people on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

There are wanker cyclists, just like wanker drivers. Just like there are probably wanker lollipopmen. Although hopefully not lollipopmen that **** when there are children around because that is not on. These lollipopmen need to be sorted out once and for all, coming over here taking our jobs and children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

when i cycled, i cycled on footpads.. i didn't put anyone else in danger and i didn't put myself in danger.

From now on, i'm going to cycle out in the middle of the road just on the off chance that it'll annoy you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

on the way home, in the pissing rain and dark, there were about 10 cars behind one cyclist with no luminous colours on him.. and each car went by him when they could.

he was in danger cause it was near impossible to see him,
    even if there is room for a car to pass him, he could easily dodge a gutter or his front wheel slide and him hit into the car..
    or the driver could be inexperienced and clip him or
    the driver mis-judge and hit an oncoming car.

the footpad in my opinion would have been a safer alternative as there were no people on it..

OMFG stop saying footpad!

Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

STOP SAYING FOOTPAD

*careful now

connundrum wrote: »
    OMFG stop saying footpad!

Down with this sort of thing!

did i say it twice? it was pretty important to set the scene of my story like.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

If you hit the cyclist while driving at least he's covered by your insurance.
    What about the pedestrian who walks into the the path of the cyclist that they couldn't see? Doesn't get covered by any insurance.

So, the footpad... is he on the pavement, or on the road?

Sean_K wrote: »
    From now on, i'm going to cycle out in the middle of the road just on the off chance that it'll annoy you.

my bonnet is harder than you :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

"Footpad" ....

*Chortle*

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Domo230 wrote: »
    And im sick of motorists thinking they own the whole road, honking their horns and almost running over cyclists in an effort to shave a few seconds off their journey. Cyclists have just as much right to be on the road as motorists so stop thinking the roads were built just for you lot.

But roads are built for cars, cycle lanes for cyclists and fields for horses.
    Hows about if i drive my car up the cycle lanes to avoid traffic?

Ive been knocked on my motor bike, had cyclsts damage mirrors ect on my bike and car and they dont bother to stop and apologies or offer to pay for damage so naturally im a bit bitter against them, now if i was to bump into or over a cyclist in my gigantic 4x4 while on a road which is made for cars it would be a different story alltogether.

in other words STAY OUT OF MY WAY!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Don't you know cyclist's are all ex smokers OP?
    "Thou shan't smoke outdoors, thou shan't drive cars!"
    They won't be happy 'til thishttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055432984&highlight=wind+farms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Cyclists are road users too. It is illegal for them to cycle on a footpath. Before you overtake the cyclist be sure there is no oncoming traffic and then the worry about hitting traffic on the right is gone.

Ooohhh bollox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

WTF are footpads?
    my bonnet is harder than you :confused:
    ..and you'll get a big fine/ points/ jail once you bounce a cyclist off your hard bonnet. Drive safe and try not to kill anyone with all the dangerous overtaking you've admitted to being "forced" to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement