Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daft - Landlords are keeping properties active for months or years

Options
  • 17-04-2009 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I noticed a long time ago that the house im renting was still advertised on Daft.ie, even months after we moved in. I asked the landlord about this and he said he just keeps renewing the add on daft to save him putting it up and paying again.

So i was curious and started using property bee to see if he was BSing me and there might be something sinister going on. Then i found that it seems to be common practice. Ive found loads of adds that are up for months or years. All that changes is the descripion and sometimes the price or the number of bedrooms in the same add.

I reckon they are all at it.

Now, this skews the number of places available to rent on daft, which im trying to get accurate figures on to help me decide whethr or not or when to buy a house. I think its sharp practise and Daft should prevent it.
    It actually makes it look like there are more properties available to rent than there really are.
    All they have to do is put a time limit on the add so that it cant be renewed after say 2 months.
    Otherwise figures based on Daft are useless to anyone. Even their own report is going to be wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

It's an irritating practice, particularly for those looking for somewhere to rent. I've enquired about several places only to be told they've been rented but then they stay on daft for ages and ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

bobbbb wrote: »
    I reckon they are all at it.

Thats a big jump on assumptions
    Otherwise figures based on Daft are useless to anyone. Even their own report is going to be wrong.

So you are saying, out of 22,500 gaffs for rent now, how much are skewed?

I'd reckon a very small percentage as i've be following gaffs too and noticed the vast majority disappear of daft after a while with 'let or withdrawn' notices.

Of course there should be a time limit to renew, hope Ronan Lyons is reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

The sellers are at it too. Many of the ads when viewed using Property Bee are there for almost a year but the actual property is being changed on an ongoing basis. You can see when it changes but it certainly makes for more difficult analysis. I'm looking for a new rental at the moment and am finding the worst offenders are those with several apartments in the same complex. The address isn't changing but the actual unit is.

The more obvious cases are when a price changes dramatically. 3.5 mill to 200K for instance.

It's annoying. Definitely time for a 1 property rule and time limit per ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rayan

They are doing it to try keep the rental market artifically inflated.

That's my theory anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

It actually makes it look like there are more properties available to rent than there really are.
    QUOTE]
    Rayan They are doing it to try keep the rental market artifically inflated.

That's my theory anyway !

Rayan, I disagree with you. How does it work when this practice makes it look like having MORE properties available to rent than there really are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I asked the landlord about this and he said he just keeps renewing the add on daft to save him putting it up and paying again..

What a ......banker. How much does an ad on daft cost? E20? :confused:

The genuine ones can be filtered through by common sense using the porperty bee toolbar.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

taz70 wrote: »
    It's an irritating practice, particularly for those looking for somewhere to rent. I've enquired about several places only to be told they've been rented but then they stay on daft for ages and ages.

I wouldn't mind them being rented out and staying on Daft - it's worse when the ad is then updated, so you can't even filter out the ones that have been sitting there a few weeks untouched!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

This really gets my goat. Their figures are a reflection of data on the daft.ie website, they are not factual evidence of the state of the housing or rental markets. Lets take the latest shock horror headline: record number of rental properties on the daft.ie website somehow get translated into there are a record number of rental properties on the market. I don't think I need to explain the flaw in that. Another example, rents have fallen by 10% on the daft.ie website translates into rental market has fallen by 10%. The blindingly obvious flaw here is that daft.ie do not know the orignal rental value so how can they say it has dropped, they don't take into account that most landlords will set their sights high with the intenion of dropping and creating an apparent "bargain" and nor do they have the actual final rental figure negotiated between landlord and tenant.

Using daft.ie as a baramoter is a risky game. You are guaranteed to miss the boat just as thousands of people using daft.ie and myhome.ie when selling their homes during the peak did.

20goto10 wrote: »
    This really gets my goat. Their figures are a reflection of data on the daft.ie website, they are not factual evidence of the state of the housing or rental markets. Lets take the latest shock horror headline: record number of rental properties on the daft.ie website somehow get translated into there are a record number of rental properties on the market. I don't think I need to explain the flaw in that.

Did you know Daft has probably 80%-90%+ of the rental ad market hence they are a good barometer of the market in that segment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Another example, rents have fallen by 10% on the daft.ie website translates into rental market has fallen by 10%. The blindingly obvious flaw here is that daft.ie do not know the orignal rental value so how can they say it has dropped, they don't take into account that most landlords will set their sights high with the intenion of dropping and creating an apparent "bargain" and nor do they have the actual final rental figure negotiated between landlord and tenant.
    I think everyone is aware that such reports consider asking rents, just as property price reports consider asking prices. It's certainly not exact but it's the best we've go to go on and it does give an indication of the direction of the market. Are you honestly suggesting that tenants are paying more than the asking price in the current rental market? It's likely that Daft statistics are on the conservative side regarding both rent and price drops.

With 177,566 properties currently advertised on Daft and even factoring in duplicates or already rented properties, I think it's safe to say that Daft is a representative sample from which we can draw these statistics. Unless you believe there are a few million other rental properties in Ireland that are being advertised by other means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

This really gets my goat. Their figures are a reflection of data on the daft.ie website, they are not factual evidence of the state of the housing or rental markets. Lets take the latest shock horror headline: record number of rental properties on the daft.ie website somehow get translated into there are a record number of rental properties on the market. I don't think I need to explain the flaw in that. Another example, rents have fallen by 10% on the daft.ie website translates into rental market has fallen by 10%. The blindingly obvious flaw here is that daft.ie do not know the orignal rental value so how can they say it has dropped, they don't take into account that most landlords will set their sights high with the intenion of dropping and creating an apparent "bargain" and nor do they have the actual final rental figure negotiated between landlord and tenant.

Using daft.ie as a baramoter is a risky game. You are guaranteed to miss the boat just as thousands of people using daft.ie and myhome.ie when selling their homes during the peak did.

You make good points. DAFT really need to look at this. I dont understand how they havent noticed this. Its very easy to run statistical reports on their database to identify these problems and eliminate them.
    Accuracy is the name of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rayan

QUOTE]

Rayan, I disagree with you. How does it work when this practice makes it look like having MORE properties available to rent than there really are

I know I should have explained clearer. I was referring more to the rental price. If they have 10 of those "fake" rental properties advertised in the same apartment block, say at €1100/month. When a "real" property becomes available in that block - they are more likely to get €1000-€1100/month as opposed to the true market value which might only be €800-€900/month.

Most people base good rental price value by comparing the property they're interested in to similar ones in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

In fairness to daft it is a website that only claims to advertise property, not be a thermometer for the housing market. I mean it can be used as a trend, and even allowing for the errors you point out it does that, but it never claimed to be giving statistically accurate measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Rayan wrote: »

I know I should have explained clearer. I was referring more to the rental price. If they have 10 of those "fake" rental properties advertised in the same apartment block, say at €1100/month. When a "real" property becomes available in that block - they are more likely to get €1000-€1100/month as opposed to the true market value which might only be €800-€900/month.

Most people base good rental price value by comparing the property they're interested in to similar ones in the area.

Seems an odd one as seeing more available properties is going to make prospective tenants expect lower rents.

My own experience: emailed about an apartment last Friday and was told that it was gone. I then noticed that it was renewed every day since (even over the weekend) and the price dropped this morning so it's clearly still available.

Thanks to Sharper for giving me a link here from the pin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Kelter wrote: »
    In fairness to daft it is a website that only claims to advertise property, not be a thermometer for the housing market. I mean it can be used as a trend, and even allowing for the errors you point out it does that, but it never claimed to be giving statistically accurate measurements.

Daft have release press statements and the MD has been on the radio many times stating how the figures indicate what is happening in the housing market. It may not state itself as perfect data but certainly makes a big deal out of the reports suggesting how relevant they are.

Considering it has been used by RTE in reports on the property market it does make a very unreliable source of data used to promote a website have the air of reliability.

AS for the OP comments about landlords it is a big jump and I see no logic in why anybody other than letting agents would keep ads up indefinitely. Many agents get a discount to use the site based on volume of have a set amount of ads for a set fee so probably just use the spots they have. They probably use it to gauge prices too hence no place to rent but the price goes up and down in the ad.

Advertisement