Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty Morrisseys post-match interview with Brian Cody

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 desbigi

Anyone remember the time Marty asked the mother of our olympic boxer (Tuam lad), "Did you ever fee the weight of his punch?"

Class - But Cody, to quote pat short, he'll do it 'cos he THICK ENOUGH TO DO IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Actually think Coady came out very badly from that. He was the one tha kept bringing up the issue again and agian.

Good TV though :D Nice to see Marty get a hard time even if he didn't really deserve on this occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 desbigi

d knome gets floored! :D great comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Actually think Coady came out very badly from that. He was the one tha kept bringing up the issue again and agian.

Good TV though :D Nice to see Marty get a hard time even if he didn't really deserve on this occasion.

Brilliant,absolutely brilliant.I've had enough of RTE scutinising referees at every possible twist and turn.It is the human element in the game and the ref isn't going to get it right ten times out of ten.Cody was right to get in Marty Morrissey's face and I hope RTE learn from this.

Here is a manager who just won 4 All Irelands in a row and to be asked about the referee in a really happy moment was going to try and put a cloud over the shining moment.

Still I never expected Cody to react like that.Ger Loughnane came out a year ago criticising Kilkenny for rough and dirty play.There are a lot of begrudgers out there and I think Cody just had enough and decided on air to stick it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

He had every reason to be p**ed off with Marty bringing up doubts about their win. He is (as unbelievable as it may seem) only human. Any other manager in that position would have said the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ros77

CyberDave wrote: »
    He had every reason to be p**ed off with Marty bringing up doubts about their win. He is (as unbelievable as it may seem) only human. Any other manager in that position would have said the same thing.

Have to agree 100% - a 4 in a row in this era deserved nothing but admiration and Cody had surely earned the right to attempt to put his and his players reflections on their achievements on record. MM goofed and I would have loved to have had a camera on him when Cody came hunting for him in his reply. I know it wasn't Oxygen weekend but I'd say it was in short supply for a few secs in Marty's world.

What was the point having RTE in City West last night ?? They prob spent no more than 6 minutes of the whole programme there. Was the event running late ??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭deeno1975

Nice to see Marty "the good looking one" Morrissey getting put back in his box... Cody took him to the cleaners! All that was missing was from the interview was the sound of the box closing...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

i felt sorry for marty, cody was over the top

cody was just jealous of marties good looks and style

000181a610dr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Well done to Kilkenny, commiserations to Tipperary (who deserved better). At the end of the day, Kilkenny had that extra bit of luck, Tipperary didn't. Nevertheless, a wonderful achievement by Kilkenny.
    What has left many people turned off, however, is Brian Coady's appalling behaviour when being interviewed by Marty Morrissey. He is normally very diplomatic, in the cutest possible way, being sure to play up the opposition, even when the opposition is (or was) clearly inferior to Kilkenny. There have been times when it was diplomatic that it just didn't seem sincere.
    Yesterday, Brian Coady was extremely ungracious, to say the least. This feeling is widespread and all those who heard the interview with whom I have spoken were simply appalled. Perhaps yesterday, in view of the fact that Kilkenny were fortunate to beat Tipperary, was a time to have been gracious and sincere.
    Perhaps another interviewer would not have left him away with the arrogance and aggression he displayed but I would say Marty Morrissey was in shock.
    Most neutral supporters would understandably be for the underdog. I think Brian Coady did neither himself nor Kilkenny any favours by the way in which he behaved. His achievements and those of Kilkenny should be acknowledged but I was disappointed by the behaviour. It was unnecessary, ungracious and distasteful. On hearing the interview replayed this morning, it sounded even worse.
    He is a man who deserves praise but yesterday's post match performance was certainly NOT one of his finest moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I thought Cody over-reacted big time, I lost a lot of respect for him when I watched the interview. Cody just kept going back to it, wouldn't let it go. Thought he was very ratty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Well done to Kilkenny, commiserations to Tipperary (who deserved better). At the end of the day, Kilkenny had that extra bit of luck, Tipperary didn't. Nevertheless, a wonderful achievement by Kilkenny.
    What has left many people turned off, however, is Brian Coady's appalling behaviour when being interviewed by Marty Morrissey. He is normally very diplomatic, in the cutest possible way, being sure to play up the opposition, even when the opposition is (or was) clearly inferior to Kilkenny. There have been times when it was diplomatic that it just didn't seem sincere.
    Yesterday, Brian Coady was extremely ungracious, to say the least. This feeling is widespread and all those who heard the interview with whom I have spoken were simply appalled. Perhaps yesterday, in view of the fact that Kilkenny were fortunate to beat Tipperary, was a time to have been gracious and sincere.
    Perhaps another interviewer would not have left him away with the arrogance and aggression he displayed but I would say Marty Morrissey was in shock.
    Most neutral supporters would understandably be for the underdog. I think Brian Coady did neither himself nor Kilkenny any favours by the way in which he behaved. His achievements and those of Kilkenny should be acknowledged but I was disappointed by the behaviour. It was unnecessary, ungracious and distasteful. On hearing the interview replayed this morning, it sounded even worse.
    He is a man who deserves praise but yesterday's post match performance was certainly NOT one of his finest moments.

Threads merged.All discussion on the interview in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I thought Marty was well within his rights to ask about the penalty.It was a game changing moment and in every sport you have to ask for opinions on those moments.
    If Tiger was asked about a bad shot on a certain hole he wouldnt tell the interviewer to look at every other bad shot made through the day(maybe not the best but it can be applied to anything really).
    I think Cody knew it was the wrong decision but immmediately went on the defensive about it since he'd be proven wrong saying it was the right call and he couldnt say that they got lucky with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Marty was right to ask the question and it obviously hit a nerve with Coady. The ref was in their pocket. Roll on 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Marty was right to ask about the penalty. Cody answered it, where Marty went wrong was to continue bleating on about the ref. As Cody said, he never talks about a ref (good or bad) after a game and considering that his team had just won 4 in a row it was unfair to keep harping on about the ref and Marty ended up with egg on his face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

To be fair to Cody I have never heard him say anything good or bad about the ref in any post match interview he has done. If the ref makes a mistake any team will capatilise on it. Marty (by the way has he had Botox done, eyes look odd) should have had the grace to drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

RTE are just like the rest of the big TV chains like Sky and BBC-more interested in their game of controversy, than in an accurate assessment of any match they've shown ie. giving due focus to good play too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

KevIRL wrote: »
    Marty was right to ask about the penalty. Cody answered it, where Marty went wrong was to continue bleating on about the ref. As Cody said, he never talks about a ref (good or bad) after a game and considering that his team had just won 4 in a row it was unfair to keep harping on about the ref and Marty ended up with egg on his face
    I wouldnt say he continued bleating on about it.
    Marty asked for his opinion on the penalty, Cody went defensive and told him to look at every other decision.
    Marty then asked his opinion on the ref letting the game flow and Cody went on the defensive again and started accusing Marty of having a problem with the ref.Marty said he didnt and attempted to change the subject but was interrupted by Cody who was still going on about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

I lost what respect I had left for Brian Cody for his treatment of Mart Morrissey yesterday. He came across as a Bully. His arrogant attitude to Morrissey's simple question about the controversial penalty decision (No Controversy, IT WAS NOT A PENALTY) was a disgrace. Is this the person that we are all sick and tired of listening about from the likes of Dunphy and the rest of the media that we should be looking up to. He came across as small minded Thug. Too small minded to answer a simple qustion. Cody uses the media to feather his own nest but then abuses them when they ask a question about the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr.Capello03

Look lads there was two of them in it. Marty brought up the penalty decision a time or two too many but Coady clearly -and of his own accord- lost his cool a bit. And Coady, as i saw it, continued to over explain and make something of an issue of it. I think to be fair Tipp rattled Kilkenny big time in this game and that penalty decision was absolutely crucial and yes it was controvertial. But that said, Kilkenny are the champions again and deservedly so. Tipp had their chances being a couple of points up with a few minutes to go and perhaps a little more composure would have got them over the line. Great game of hurling though- had everything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Cody always goes by what the ref did/said and leaves it at that. You could hear it in his voice the first time and he got more annoyed each time Marty asked. And in fairness when was Cody ever one to agrue witha refs decision.

Thought it was hilarious after when they were saying 'Well Marty wont be buying his book' :D:D Then he didnt ask Sheedy what he thought of the penelty, and where was he for the dinner!? Must have scared him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The lads in the studio were having a good laugh at the interview, some seem to have taken it too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The Fastnet 5

I dont have an allegiance to anybody referred to on this thread but despite being the super manager we all know he is Cody was being the complete maggot in his attitude to the Marty interview....for heaven sake it was one big "call" that totally changed the face of the game and resulted in KK doing the four in a row much easier than it would have ended....in my opinion it was a free out for overcarrying but why Kirwan gave the penalty only him & God will ever know....Cody done himself & his Co no service with his arrogant attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is not part of Brian Cody's job to referee the referee.

Leaving the referee alone and the decisions he made is the best policy, some seem to want a witch hunt of the referee over that penalty, at least Brian Cody doesn't go after referees when Kilkenny gets a bad decision against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

akaredtop wrote: »
    I lost what respect I had left for Brian Cody for his treatment of Mart Morrissey yesterday. He came across as a Bully. His arrogant attitude to Morrissey's simple question about the controversial penalty decision (No Controversy, IT WAS NOT A PENALTY) was a disgrace. He came across as small minded Thug. Too small minded to answer a simple qustion. Cody uses the media to feather his own nest but then abuses them when they ask a question about the match.
    What did you expect ?
    Cody has shown his true colours many times in the past.
    He tells his players what to do on the pitch,to take advantage of the rules,to play on the "edge",to dish out persistent cynical fouls and to use the hurl as a weapon.
    He is no angel,far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the reaction of people here is laughable. how was marty put back in box i wonder? cody over reacted and took things too serious....gone down in my estimation. he has just won 4 all irelands in a row and hes resorted to having a pop at a man whos 4ft nothing and never did any harm to him. he is only asking a simple question that the entire country were also talking about at the same time. the ref had a bad game and had a massive influence, its only natural that it should pop up in discussion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I can understand Cody's getting a bit annoyed at the questions but the fact of the matter is that the penalty decisions completely changed the game and allowed Kilkenny to take the game by the scruff of the neck and go on to win 4 in a row. Marty just wanted to hear Cody's opinion.

Would have been interesting to see Cody's reaction had the penalty not been given but in fairness to Cody he does not complain about ref's but if a bad refereeing decision had cost them a possible 4 in a row he may well have started!!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭HHH

I think cody was p***ed off with marty because KK probably never needed the ref to give them a decision in the last 4 years to win the all ireland. Tipp had KK on the ropes and only for the ref gifting them a penalty they probably would have been beaten. Great game tho, i'd gladly give another 70 euro to see another game of that standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Celebrity Boxing--Marty V. Cody,c'mon RTE get it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Fair play to Cody, like he said himself Marty kept on about the ref if Marty had an issue with the decisions he should grow a pair and say what he thinks. Im with Cody that maybe Marty should go home and check all the decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

how many bitter Clare men can RTE hire with the aim of being controversial? ;)

Advertisement