Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Discussion [Snow showers hitting east from 4pm] ( New Years Eve 2009 )

• 31-12-2009 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Please continue here with chat with regard to the present cold spell.

Rain/Sleet/Snow is now being replaced by much drier colder air.

It should dry up through today with snow showers peppering the east through the afternoon and evening with small accumulations likely in places.

Turning colder as the day progresses with moderate Northeasterly winds.

New Years will be greeted by Snow Flurries in the Dublin while temperatures dip to as low as -6c inland.

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

So what are the chances of any snow accumulation in Dublin? 20-30% or more if you were to give a guess?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looking at the NE radar loop , the precip is shrinking as it moves mostly west and a little south.
    No dp drop here and it's currently dry.
    Radar says precip is a few miles north of here.

Temps and dew points are dropping like a stone directly behind it. The M2 buoy, according to the GFS, will be sub zero by 3AM. There is no doubt about it that the showers will be snow tomorrow as the higher res output has the 850 temps at -8 or -9 in the Irish Sea and universal sub zero dews. This precip is dieing anyway. You won't get much from it. TBH I want it gone completely by morning so the convection can get going on the Irish Sea. ATM it looks like late afternoon on and the snow showers could last throughout tomorrow night and into Friday aswell. Don't think much if anything will settle here but you have a better chance in your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any chance of snow showers in the midlands?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Was hoping that I mite get some thing from this , as DP has gone to 0.2 but just noticed temp is 3.3c ,

I think I will head to bed .

100317.jpg

You can easily get snow at 3c with a dp of 0c or below.
    The fact it didn't happen last sunday was just a flukey mix of uppers being too warm and under cutting lower warm air.
    None of that tonight the trend is the opposite actually.
    Anyhow
    pit time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    deadly deadly :D:D but me flares got saturated :mad::mad:

Haha that's ok just make jungle noises, i'll find ye:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

The fact it didn't happen last sunday was just a flukey mix of uppers being too warm and under cutting lower warm air.
    Anyhow

I had pure rain on Christmas day with an air temp of -2c and a DP of -2.3c......from now on I'll only believe it can snow when I actually see the flakes falling! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Anyhow

Cool ,

Temp has just rose to 3.4 but dp is at 0.0,

M2 buoy at 1.2 now ,

Nite all

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

is this the new thread the other one was closed? I'm new to this so i got a little lost!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Final report before hitting the hay!

Carlow town as of 1.40am

Air temp 3.9c :rolleyes:
    DP 1.4c :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Blustery ENE wind gusting 15-20mph
    Pressure 1000.1hPa and rising

Outlook for coming hours:
    Rubbish!

G'night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Anyhow

True. I have seen snow falling here with temps at 7c. Very much a March/April phenomena as dp's tend to be at there lowest at that time of year in a standard NW flow.

cocoemma wrote: »
    is this the new thread the other one was closed? I'm new to this so i got a little lost!:(

Yep,

on really busy threads or where the situaion changes day by day you will see new threads started up to keep things tidy .

night all..... i'm exhausted... hopefully we'll all wake up to a fantastic whiteout tomorrow and what a way that would end the year :D sleep well

Yep,

on really busy threads or where the situaion changes day by day you will see new threads started up to keep things tidy .

kul thanks pistol.. sleep well

Temp now at 2.7c! Interestingly though, DP is falling. Now at 0c dead bang. Drier air not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JRT

I have been following this thread among many other weather event threads that have come up in the last couple of years.(Bring Snowbie back!!:))

I have to say that every time I have followed one, the worst case scenario has never come through.......where I live, thankfully.

Discussion is always good and if theres one thing we all have to talk about, its the feckin' weather.

Ive put my ass on the line many a time because of threads on here and I have learned a great deal about the weather in Ireland from it.

In saying that, one thing runs through.
    Even with the most intricate knowledge of weather systems and paterns, even for localised areas, we are still decades off having the right information at the right times and at best, its a total guessing game.

I think the devotion some people have given, such as Weathercheck and WolfeIRE over the past few weeks and a certain person in the Bluestacks, is what will make the difference come 10 years time.

It wont be about what you remember from when you were a little sprog or about the terrible snow your father told ya about.
    It'll be about the thread you read predicting the 10% chance correctly.

Well it will for me anyway.

Keep it up lads, we're all learning more every post.

JRT wrote: »
    I have been following this thread among many other weather event threads that have come up in the last couple of years.(Bring Snowbie back!!:))

Snowbie is still around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Wind appears to have eased here considerably and the temp has risen to 4.8 - it had been a constant 2.7 most of the day.

DP is has dropped to a negative -0.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

wait till you see - ill go to leaba & twill snow .... Heres hoping.. Nighty night x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

jenzz wrote: »
    wait till you see - ill go to leaba & twill snow .... Heres hoping.. Nighty night x

Night night! Dewpoint's just hit -0.0C here;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

hopefully the temps keep dropping 3.9c dp of -1 here now

lets see what tomorrow brings
    stay safe those of you who have bad snow and ice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭squonk

Weathercheck, would you mind mentioning in the existing thread when it rolls over into a new day's thread? I'm trying to follow on a phone in an area with a bad cell reception and the randomness of this thread shift is annoying as it's quicker to refresh my page and I can not tell for a while if no activity means no activity or. The thread being rolled. Even a link to the new thread as last post would be cool. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Horray Dewpoint sub zero :)

now where is the precipitation...........

BTW did I tell you the air temp is +5.2C
    :rolleyes:

The Irish sea has already kicked off
    Light rain in air and on radar I see streamer heading into Dublin.

Way too warm though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

at last the cloud has cleared to leave us dry arctic air! temps now around 1c but itll be dropping through the day to stabalise itself into the arctic air and id say -10-12c is possible tonight going by met ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Two new year snow threads, this is really confusing?
    In other news, I cannot wait for daybreak to go out exploring in the sneachta!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning.

Said you would reach 1000..:)

Much less lying snow here; that gale last night saw to that; will see full picture when I take the dogs out at flrst light.. But in front of the house it is wearing thinner now at last.

Just seen the Ulster forecast..

Full moon and they have snow sitting right above us; but they say the winds will ease.

Not sure why we are again in the path of snow...

Ulster
    31 December 2009- updated at 06:00
    Today

Bitterly cold, but brightening up with sunny spells. Scattered wintry showers, especially in coastal areas. Maximum afternoon temperatures 2 to 4 Celsius, with strong northeast winds at first, gradually easing.

Tonight

Bitterly cold and frosty, with further wintry showers of sleet and snow. Min 0 to minus 8 Celsius. Risk of ice and freezing fog.

Tomorrow

Bitterly cold tomorrow, New Year's Day, with frost, ice and any for clearing only slowly and lingering on in some sheltered places during the day. There will be some sunny spells, but wintry showers of sleet and snow also. Max. 0 to 3 C.

Mothman wrote: »
    The Irish sea has already kicked off
    Light rain in air and on radar I see streamer heading into Dublin.

Way too warm though
    Having rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, I see that it was south of Dublin. Streamer dying off now but indicates the potential.
    M2 bouy Dp needs to drop more as its above zero at moment with air temp of 6C
    It'll get my interest up if I see M2 dropping to 4C with Dp -2C

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote: »
    Having rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, I see that it was south of Dublin. Streamer dying off now but indicates the potential.
    M2 bouy Dp needs to drop more as its above zero at moment with air temp of 6C
    It'll get my interest up if I see M2 dropping to 4C with Dp -2C

Yep is too warm, slow thaw on outside here, I suppose we just have to give it time. Hopefully the streamers will get going before the winds swing northerly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Dp has a tend and its in the right direction. Below -1C
    The air temperature will start to trend downwards as well

For the record
    7am at M2 bouy
    Air 6.1C Dp +0.2C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement