Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDWOW Support Sucks !! Godfather 2 Blu-Ray Recall

Options
  • 16-03-2010 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

This Thread is two pronged :-

Firstly if your own the Godfather trilogy on Blu-Ray for a while and haven't actually had a chance to watch it you may have a faulty disk . What's more the fault in on the Godfather 2 Movie disc, the best of the bunch !! The good news is it very easy to have a replacement sent to you.

Secondly :- CD-WOW support sucks.

Background : I order the Godfather trilogy on Blu-Ray over a year ago and went to watch it for the first time at the weekend. I found to my complete annoyance that there was a fault on Godfather 2 Disc, It plays fine for 1 hour 41minutes but then playback stops. I researched on the internet and found that there was an issue with a batch of the Blu-Ray that affected play back on several Blu-ray players.

Being over a year since I bought the item I held little hope of CD-WOW providing a replacement. I was right CD-WOW said sorry can't help you, end of story. BTW from my research many other on-line retailers like amazon.co.uk provided replacements discs for customers in my position.

Anyway I thought that was that and I was stuck with 2.5 discs of the trilogy until I came across some additional information via our friend google. I found out that a company called Technicolor who manufactured the discs did issues a recall and all I had to do was send an email to "Godfather2.DiscRecall@technicolor.com ". Technicolor responded to my email within 2 minutes and sent a brief question-are and requested proof of purchases. If no proof of purchases was available they would still send replacement once the faulty disc was returned (via free-post I believe).

I provided the relevant proof of purchase a screen-shot of my CD-WOW order history with the details of the godfather order and within an additional 15 minutes Technicolor informed me a replacement disk was on the way.

Why could CD-WOW support staff not have provided the recall email address ? I didn't expect them to replace the disc after a year even if the likes of Amazon are but some information on how to get a replacement via the manufacture would have been nice.Surely CD-WOW where made aware of the recall ?

At least Technicolor the manufacture stand over their product and their support team actually give support for their products.

I stopped using CD-WOW long before this when I received a DVD instead of Blu-Ray Disc , That time It took 3 months to get it replaced and I followed the support staffs directions to the letter !!!!

To sum up CD-WOW suck !!!! , Godfather 2 disc on the Blu-ray Trilogy may be faulty if you got one from the faulty batch but it can be easily replaced.

This all happened today I'll inform you when the replacement disc arrives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

jobyrne30 wrote: »

Why could CD-WOW support staff not have provided the recall email address ? I didn't expect them to replace the disc after a year even if the likes of Amazon are but some information on how to get a replacement via the manufacture would have been nice.Surely CD-WOW where made aware of the recall ?

Maybe they did..... a year ago. Then, once their stock had been purged of the bad disc, after a while, they may have taken it down. There have been recalls of DVD s before this and will be more after this. I remember the Goonies DVD originally was missing the commentary track. Warners did a recall. All DVDs were requested to be returned to Warner Bros and not to the store.

I think it's unreasonable for someone to expect CDWOW (or any site) to keep this information up for ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Talk about throwing toys out of the pram!!

How could you expect some randomer at CDWOW to remember this? They may not have even worked for them over a year ago.

Be thankful you're getting a new dvd, be sure to check it when you get it, and not leave it sitting on a shelf for a year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think it's unreasonable for someone to expect CDWOW (or any site) to keep this information up for ever.

Have to agree with this, it would confuse the feck out of new people that had bought discs that were ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Ain't noboby throwing there toys out of the pram here

I never expected a return on my faulty disk from CD-WOW. I even said as much, I did how ever point out that other retailers such as Amazon where and still are replacing the disc's without any problems. Many people got this box-set and for what ever reason may never got a chance to watch them immediately.

I don't think it is unreasonable for any support group to store information about recalls, in the grand scheme of thing 10 months isn't all that long. Better still they should be proactive and actually contact customers who bought the potential faulty product and let them know there was an issue.

Any way I think you guys are missing the point, for those people who may have a faulty disc there is a easy way to have it replaced at no cost to yourself.

And CD-WOW suck :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

First it was over a year and now it's 10 months... interesting.

• Advertisement

Yes actually 10 months 4 days and 2 hours not a year as originally posted , I re-checked the purchase date on my CD-WOW , Anyway that doesn't make much of a difference .

Edit :- According to CD-WOW support email I received if a problem isn't reported with 45 days, they can do nothing to help.

Hopefully no body else has the same problem but a solution is posted here, it will also cover people who bought the disc's via ebay or from a second hand retailer and no proof of purchases can be given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GoodKnightAlex

Sooo cdwow sucks for not emailing you with a routine "Have you watched your movie yet?"? They don't make the discs. It's good you checked online, but no retailer's going to look at every receipt and doorknock that info. Most the time recalls are for a small amount, so if you didn't complain ten months ago, they'd assume your copy was fine. Plus anyone off the street could say they have that issue, all worn down from use, just so they can get a new copy.

Cdwow's been fine for me in the year and a half I've used them. I've used their cust service too. Got my replies next day, sorted it all out no dramas. Personally if someone came to my electronics store with a DVD player that he bought two years ago that doesn't work, I'd laugh in his face.

Oh yeah, if you've bought Ranma the anime on DVD back in 2002, you might want to chase up Amazon and get a replacement. :rolleyes:

@ GoodKnightAlex :- I receive emails from CDWOW and other on-line retailers all the time about promotions etc, I read all of them just in case there are some unbeatable deals, I don't see why any of these emails can't included cautionary note about faulty products/batches bought at a certain times and then provided a clear course of action to take should you be experiencing a problem.

I believe such pro-active communications would also help customer service department's cut down on the number of complaints about the same issue from different customers and as such from a cost benefit point of view would reduce over-heads for these departments.

As I said In my post I never held any hope of getting a replacement from CDWOW after that period of time and I did express that in my email to them, I did ask them was there any course of action I could take for a replacement. This is part of the contents of my enquiry to CDWOW :-

"I don't expect a replacement disc from CDWOW directly after such a period of time but can you please advise if there is there a disc replacement program in place that I can avail of ? "

CDWOW's reponse was sorry can't help you. CDWOW could have been a little bit more helpful and referred me to the disc manufacture whom have an active replacement disc program in place. In essence CDWOW could have just said " Sorry we can't help directly but you can get a replacement here :- Godfather2.DiscRecall@technicolor.com ". Is that really to much to ask for ?

CDWOW suck :- My opinion of CDWOW and their support staff is based on a number of problems I had with them, I detailed another problem I had with them in my thread. Another issue was receiving completely conflicting directions from different support staff members on the same issue.

To be honest I haven't used CDWOW in a long time and have no intention of using them again. I expect better from support staff regardless of what company they are working for, maybe I have a higher expectation than most on this forum but I don't believe my expectations to be un-reasonable.

Just a thought .....

You said " Personally if someone came to my electronics store with a DVD player that he bought two years ago that doesn't work, I'd laugh in his face " Why laugh in their face maybe you'd loose a return customer. Why not just tell them it's out of the normal time-frame you can except a return from them and advise them that if the product was under manufacturers warranty they could look for a replacement/repair through them. Being civil and pilot to people costs nothing, the customer isn't always right but you could at least give them the impression you listened to their problem and provided a viable solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kildarebloke

Thanks jo , I thought I was stuck with a dodgy boxset I bought of an ebay power retailer who denied there was a problem. I thought I'd never see Godfather 2 in Hi-Def !! I just made contact with that company using the email address you gave and they are sending a replacement too. BIG THANKS !!!! To the flamers on the thread , why not thank jo for posting some nice information. I think he's 100% right about customer service being more pro-activate and we should all expect better. GoodKnightAlex : What shop do you work in please let me know so I never go into it. With your attitude I'm surprised your allowed work with the public. MagicMarker : Your opinion shouldn't be taken seriously by anybody on the forum. You are somebody who openly expressed that you where gutted for David Beckham over is injury and then couldn't decide if he was missing out on his place in the England squad or was that team. Are you serious... please get your oversized fatmans wet-suit on and go surfing and spend less time inflicting your useless opinions on other board member.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks jo , I thought I was stuck with a dodgy boxset I bought of an ebay power retailer who denied there was a problem. I thought I'd never see Godfather 2 in Hi-Def !! I just made contact with that company using the email address you gave and they are sending a replacement too. BIG THANKS !!!! To the flamers on the thread , why not thank jo for posting some nice information. I think he's 100% right about customer service being more pro-activate and we should all expect better. GoodKnightAlex : What shop do you work in please let me know so I never go into it. With your attitude I'm surprised your allowed work with the public. MagicMarker : Your opinion shouldn't be taken seriously by anybody on the forum. You are somebody who openly expressed that you where gutted for David Beckham over is injury and then couldn't decide if he was missing out on his place in the England squad or was that team. Are you serious... please get your oversized fatmans wet-suit on and go surfing and spend less time inflicting your useless opinions on other board member.

Calm down Jo

• Advertisement

The replacement disc arrived today and it's working perfectly :D

@ Kildarebloke :- It's nice to know the information help you .

And CDWOW still suck !!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

This Thread is two pronged :-

Firstly if your own the Godfather trilogy on Blu-Ray for a while and haven't actually had a chance to watch it you may have a faulty disk . What's more the fault in on the Godfather 2 Movie disc, the best of the bunch !! The good news is it very easy to have a replacement sent to you.

Secondly :- CD-WOW support sucks.

Background : I order the Godfather trilogy on Blu-Ray over a year ago and went to watch it for the first time at the weekend. I found to my complete annoyance that there was a fault on Godfather 2 Disc, It plays fine for 1 hour 41minutes but then playback stops. I researched on the internet and found that there was an issue with a batch of the Blu-Ray that affected play back on several Blu-ray players.

Being over a year since I bought the item I held little hope of CD-WOW providing a replacement. I was right CD-WOW said sorry can't help you, end of story. BTW from my research many other on-line retailers like amazon.co.uk provided replacements discs for customers in my position.

Anyway I thought that was that and I was stuck with 2.5 discs of the trilogy until I came across some additional information via our friend google. I found out that a company called Technicolor who manufactured the discs did issues a recall and all I had to do was send an email to "Godfather2.DiscRecall@technicolor.com ". Technicolor responded to my email within 2 minutes and sent a brief question-are and requested proof of purchases. If no proof of purchases was available they would still send replacement once the faulty disc was returned (via free-post I believe).

I provided the relevant proof of purchase a screen-shot of my CD-WOW order history with the details of the godfather order and within an additional 15 minutes Technicolor informed me a replacement disk was on the way.

At least Technicolor the manufacture stand over their product and their support team actually give support for their products.

I stopped using CD-WOW long before this when I received a DVD instead of Blu-Ray Disc , That time It took 3 months to get it replaced and I followed the support staffs directions to the letter !!!!

To sum up CD-WOW suck !!!! , Godfather 2 disc on the Blu-ray Trilogy may be faulty if you got one from the faulty batch but it can be easily replaced.

This all happened today I'll inform you when the replacement disc arrives.

only a douche would buy godfather on bluray theres only so much visual enhancement u can do on a movie that filmed in the 70s, i have an utter dislike for people who buy old movies on a new supposed hd format, go ahead buy dirty harry remasterd but ur not goin to get any more 'extras' than the previous dvd release, to me blueray is only for newer films with cgi & it dosent make every old movie better just cause its a blueray disc, u can only do so much enhancment to an old film, dvd is fine for godfather/dirty harrry etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

padz This is the Consumer Issues forum, not the film forum.

dudara

Advertisement