Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very bright orange light in the sky about 11:50pm 15/6/2010

Options
  • 16-06-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Seen in Annagry. Did anyone see a very large bright orange light in the NW sky moving eastward about 11:50pm. I checked heavens-above website and seen nothing mentioned there. It was way too big & bright to be the ISS or similar. Doubt it was a chinese lantern, too high and the only thing NW of here is open sea. It disappeared behing clouds in the NE sky.

I even called the neighbour to look at it and he never seen the like before. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Interesting.

Posted a link to this post on our Facebook page. Maybe somebody there will have seen something...

=========
    http://www.facebook.com/IrishSideOfTheMoon

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

was it the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Interesting.

Posted a link to this post on our Facebook page. Maybe somebody there will have seen something...

=========
    http://www.facebook.com/IrishSideOfTheMoon

Thanks rikerdonegal
    Durnish wrote: »
    was it the sun?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

would it have been the sun reflecting off a jet,or were you on the mushrooms:D;)

.17hmr wrote: »
    would it have been the sun reflecting off a jet,or were you on the mushrooms:D;)
    No not a reflection from the sun, or mushrooms..........

• Advertisement

could it be either,
    Comet Mcnaught
    or
    noctilucent clouds catching the rays of the not quite gone sunset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

It was the UFO that abducted me.

Thanks for the reply Durnish.
    Durnish wrote: »
    could it be either,
    Comet Mcnaught
    or
    noctilucent clouds catching the rays of the not quite gone sunset?

Comet Mcnaught:
    Just had a look at this on the net but there was no tail to the light seen here.

noctilucent clouds :
    Never heard of this before but just checked now. But this is not what I saw.

And you Bomany.
    Bomany wrote: »
    It was the UFO that abducted me.

Thankfully it was you:D

CaCn, a secret, I had never heard of the noctilucent clouds either, till I read the Guardian night sky article.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

on saturday night, me and a pal were driving into glenties, when i saw a orange light in the sky. moving inland(eastwards, northeastwards) we got out and look at it for about 30 seconds until it dimmed or went behind clouds. wasn't a plane light, star etc...

really weird

international space station?

doubt it, it was a drizzley, cloudy night..angry now i didn't record it on my phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Doubt it was a chinese lantern, too high and the only thing NW of here is open sea.

Probability that it was is very high. Winds show turning NW in your area about this time.

You'd need a good pair of binoculars to identify the Chinese Lanterns and then only when they are quite close to you, they rise quite high too. It can be spooky seeing them in formation.

I still really hope that it's the sun, getting ready for a sunny August.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Could it have been a crew change or medivac flight from the the Sedco 711 to CFN? The night sun lights on the helicopters are very bight.

Or maybe is was the the US testing Aurora and if not is was Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 looking for the Island :)

Bligh wrote: »
    Could it have been a crew change or medivac flight from the the Sedco 711 to CFN? The night sun lights on the helicopters are very bight.
    No, it wasn't a chopper and it didn't come near CFN at all (I live beside it).
    Bligh wrote: »
    Or maybe is was the the US testing Aurora and if not is was Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 looking for the Island :)

I'm LOST with that one..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Badda Bing

Guys,

At 11:15 last night I seen bright orange light above Letterkenny town! Can not explain what it was. I could see it clearly in the distance. I was standing on my doorstep up Glencar looking southwards. The light was roughly above St. Eunan's Cathedral. It was below the cloud line and moving in a northerly direction slowly. It then began to turn east very slowly. As it turned the light faded and went out (obviously the light was pointing forwards from the object). From this point I could not see the object at all!! A totally bizarre experience at that time of the night. Never seen anything like it before. I'm sure that there is a reasonable explanation for what I saw.

Did anybody else see it?

I know, I know.
    It was Radio Ulster outside broadcast unit flying to Dungloe, taking Hugo Duncan to see Daniel and the Marys. Great broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 josephxxx451

..Got shouted at by me Ma there about two weeks ago, mabey less, with her saying that there was strange orange light's flying in the night sky. I put it down to the valium/prozac coctail, but went out for a look anyway. I live in Glenties by the way. I observed several slow moving lights, rising up to around 1000 feet while drifting west-east, and then extinguishing after around two minutes of flight, then decending. I thought for a moment that it really was, "Them", coming to reunite me with the Mothership, alas logic took over, and I took a walk down the hill to see somebody, mabey twenty or so youth lighting and setting aloft what appeared to be laterns. Seen mabey twenty go up. It was a nice sight. I think that it may be something got to do with the Spanish students around at the moment but cannot be sure, mabey Chineese New Year, but they were laterns and unfortunatley U.F.O'S.........Location Glenties about one or two weeks ago.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 !Pablo Fanquez!

I observed several slow moving lights, rising up to around 1000 feet while drifting west-east, and then extinguishing after around two minutes of flight, then decending. I thought for a moment that it really was, "Them", coming to reunite me with the Mothership,

:pac:I believe this to be the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Saw this as well last night over Dungloe. It was a really clear bright orange light, oblong shaped and moving in a very deliberate direction. Ended up with 5 of my neighbours all standing having a look.

Definately was moving in a very definate direction and speed- very curious!

Advertisement