Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Sequel Failures

Options
  • 15-09-2010 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

THE MATRIX
    I love the Matrix and the Matrix reloaded up until exactly 1 hour 50 minutes in when Neo enters the architects room. Everything up to that point was amazing and after a total failure.

THE CUBE
    What a movie amazing psycological thriller with a great theme and a fantastic . . . 'So what the hell' ending. Cube2 and Cube0 . . . .just avoid them . . .at all costs.

These are just 2 of the many more and are of course my opinion feel free to add your own :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The Godfather 3. Terrible, Terrible Film. Made all the worse by some dire miscasting. Never employ family.

The Sequels to Rocky. It won an oscar. It was a very good film. But you had to go and ruin it by making some dire remakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Blair Witch Project 2, Return to Salems Lot & Dusk 'til Dawn 2 were all serious turkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

THE MATRIX
    I love the Matrix and the Matrix reloaded up until exactly 1 hour 50 minutes in when Neo enters the architects room. Everything up to that point was amazing and after a total failure.

Yes but that led to an absolutly fantastic parody for MTV Movie Awards :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eY4qU80lPM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

The X files sequel. Although people can say it was a follow on from the series and not the first movie it was pretty bad. Would have been good as a stand alone episode but pales in comparison to the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Sequels to Rocky. It won an oscar. It was a very good film. But you had to go and ruin it by making some dire remakes.

Ah now Rocky 4 was the best EVER !!!!!!!!

thats the only Rocky I re watch ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Where do you start-Dumb and Dumberer,Son of the Mask,American Pie movies After number 3.All terrible movies that sully the name of comedy.Seriously how do movie execs watch these and decide it would be good business sense to release them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Speed 2, take one of the best action movies of the 90's, take away all the charm, wit, excitement and great premise of the original then crap out a cash in sequel that fails on every level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 IrishSephiroth

Stargate; Continuum. Ark of Thruth wasn,t great but Continuum was just awful, storyline was cringe worthy and the whole film was unnessecary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Stargate; Continuum. Ark of Thruth wasn,t great but Continuum was just awful, storyline was cringe worthy and the whole film was unnessecary.

We got some true sci-fi in SG-U though, so all is forgiven :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I'm gonna have to go with 'Escape from L.A'.
    I dunno what the deal is with John Carpenter. He lost all his super human powers when the 80's ended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

BSG: The Plan...

Not strictly a sequel but its a completely unneccesary addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Spider-Man 3:
    • The symbiote is meant to amplify aggression, not turn you into an even bigger dweeb.
    • We were meant to feel sorry for Mary Jane but we didn't, this was down to poor writing of the character as much as it was down to bad acting.
    • Raimi taking his sympathetic villain schtick to a whole new level with Sandman to the point where he retconned an important part of Spidey's origin. Fcuk that.
    • "Venom" was done a huge disservice. I don't care if you were forced to use him Raimi, you work to the best of your ability with what you have at your disposal. You didn't do that though Raimi, and it was obvious that you hated every moment of having to use him. This isn't a beef with Topher Grace by the way, he did his best with what he had.
    Queen of the Damned:

A film that was moulded and packaged towards the MTV generation rather than, oh I don't know, actually playing to the story's strengths. Bad music, bad acting, bad dialogue, a hatchet job done on two novels, uninteresting action. This film read like the ultimate guide of "how not to adapt a book to film."

Rocky 5:

The only film in the Rocky franchise that I hate watching, though all crappyness aside, it his home to one of the best scenes of the entire franchise:

There's plenty more but I'll let others cover them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Troll 2 - OH MY GGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD

Saw 2 - Ok so we need to escape from this house. Ok we need to get antidote for a poison. Ok we need numbers off the back of our necks. Ok I'm dead.

Airplane! 2 - Just not funny. At all

basically any film thats sequel is "
    2"

Exceptions - Terminator 2, Die Hard 2, Iron Man 2

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Queen of the Damned:

A film that was moulded and packaged towards the MTV generation rather than, oh I don't know, actually playing to the story's strengths. Bad music, bad acting, bad dialogue, a hatchet job done on two novels, uninteresting action. This film read like the ultimate guide of "how not to adapt a book to film."

In fairness, some of that acting can be explained by the fact that the lead actress died and so wasn't available to dub herself. Her brother did it if I remember right. It was also meant to be a straight to video production but Aaliyah's death gave it a lot of promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Weekend at Bernie's 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Scary Movie 2, 3, 4 etc

Date movie, superhero movie etc.

All these are a load of crap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pirates 2 and 3 were both overblown bunkum, its not like the first was genius but it played its card to maximum effect, the sequels bored though an excess of "flash bang wallop", like the Matrix flicks.

Every Jaws sequel was worse than the one that went before as the budgets and inspiration ran out, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome clearly nowhere near the dysopian intensity of Mad Max 2 (though 2 was better than the first). Alien 3 dissapointed after Aliens.

Superman 3 (1983) was a lightweight joke, whereras Super 2 while not the film intended by Richard Donner, who got his marching orders as Richard Lester took over, was still highly entertaining. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace makes Superman 3 look like Superman 2 though!

Ghostbusters 2 was shadow of the first. Exorcist 2:The Heretic was a notable failure though the studio messed about with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

S. Darko and American Psycho 2.

I've no issue with a follow-up that tries and fails (eg Matrix sequels) but the above pair were just cash-ins on a cult name imho. The main stars of each had moved on to bigger and better things and these resultants bore hardly any connection to the originals. Cynical ventures of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Spider-Man 3:
    • "Venom" was done a huge disservice. I don't care if you were forced to use him Raimi, you work to the best of your ability with what you have at your disposal. You didn't do that though Raimi, and it was obvious that you hated every moment of having to use him. This isn't a beef with Topher Grace by the way, he did his best with what he had.
    Queen of the Damned:

I actually think that Topher Grace did very well, with what he was given.
    I think that it is a shame that this movie really seems to have hurt his career. He was far away the most believable of them all

Advertisement