Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only good thing about RTE this Christmas

Options
  • 03-01-2011 1:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The three Godfather movies over the last three nights.

And now, A Bronx Tale.

That's it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Ever watched network TV in Australia or The States?

Oddly enough, RTE is possibly in the top 5 for best output overall in the english speaking world.

Auntie tops the poll of course.

...and before Celebrity Farm, Winning Streak, Nationwide are mentioned I know, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

amdublin wrote: »

And now, A Bronx Tale.

That's it.
    Don't forget Scarface too! But in fairness Film 4 are currently showing the Godfather Trilogy too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ooh yeah scarface was great.

The Birds on one now :)

Oh btw was that a repeat of a program about winning streak this afternoon :confused: about a week after originally shown :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dman001 wrote: »
    Don't forget Scarface too! But in fairness Film 4 are currently showing the Godfather Trilogy too.

I didn't catch Scarface this time but its just as well - watching it for the 53rd time might be a bit too much :D

Heard something on the news yesterday that the most watched programmes on RTE over Christmas were the 6 and 9 o clock news. Just shows how bad Xmas TV has gone that nobody took the slightest notice of it. As for their New Years program, it was a pretty shocking choice by them to put on the All Ireland Talent Show to bring in the new year (a program I absolutely detest in every possible way). Who even watches that bogger cringe inducing ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

DarkJager wrote: »
    I didn't catch Scarface this time but its just as well - watching it for the 53rd time might be a bit too much :D

Heard something on the news yesterday that the most watched programmes on RTE over Christmas were the 6 and 9 o clock news. Just shows how bad Xmas TV has gone that nobody took the slightest notice of it. As for their New Years program, it was a pretty shocking choice by them to put on the All Ireland Talent Show to bring in the new year (a program I absolutely detest in every possible way). Who even watches that bogger cringe inducing ****?

I feel sorry for the camera crew and all the other techs, being forced to watch it because of their jobs. The only people who really want to watch it are the acts, the studio audience and the judges. No-one else in Ireland is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Oddly enough, RTE is possibly in the top 5 for best output overall in the english speaking world.

No it isn't. Under no criteria could you possibly judge RTE in the top 5 of anything in the World.

They can't do Drama, documentaries, comedy. breaking news or light entertainment for starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The only people who really want to watch it are the acts, the studio audience and the judges. No-one else in Ireland is interested.

Not true. 571,000 people watched it on TV. Add in the acts, the studio audience, and the judges and that makes approx 571,200. Thats a lot of people who want to watch it. RTE doing a good job and giving its licence fee paying public a good service. Oh, and the cameramen and producers. 571,210.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the camera crew and all the other techs, being forced to watch it because of their jobs. The only people who really want to watch it are the acts, the studio audience and the judges. No-one else in Ireland is interested.

I watched the first few 'talent show' programmes that were on RTE but I don't even bother watch it now. I find it a bit cringy to watch. Do some people have no self respect...Like all that fake 'rivalry' between the judges.
    Saying that, i wouldn't say no to €50,000!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Not true. 571,000 people watched it on TV. Add in the acts, the studio audience, and the judges and that makes approx 571,200. Thats a lot of people who want to watch it. RTE doing a good job and giving its licence fee paying public a good service. Oh, and the cameramen and producers. 571,210.
    So then theres 571000 people in the country without either sky,upc or a dvd player!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sandwlch wrote: »

Does anyone actually know anyone providing RTE with the ratings figures? They've probably got half a million boxes attached to one TV set at Montrose.

Anyone looking at the programme must like watching paint dry when the show isn't on so that they can keep the pace up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

amdublin wrote: »

And now, A Bronx Tale.

That's it.

Are you really including this movie in the list of good things?

Each to their own I suppose, but I thought it was a load of rubbish.

SkidMark wrote: »
    No it isn't. Under no criteria could you possibly judge RTE in the top 5 of anything in the World.

They can't do Drama, documentaries, comedy. breaking news or light entertainment for starters.

I didn't say domestically produced, I said 'best output overall'.

The overall package they offer for broadcast stands up well when held up against major international networks with revenues so far in excess of RTE's budget.

There have been successes on the home produced front, Pure Mule, The Savage Eye, Bachelors Walk and there are others but it will always be patchy I'm afraid.

I'm not sure anyone can be said to produce quality 'breaking news', Sky, BBC and CNN's rolling news service seems to me to involve presenters and correspondents alike, desperately trying to fill time with little success - See the Charlie Brooker Youtube entries on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056129447

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

So then theres 571000 people in the country without either sky,upc or a dvd player!
    or maybe they just have different tastes to you:eek:..no that cant be it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I'm not sure anyone can be said to produce quality 'breaking news',

Not showing the start or the end of the Press Conference announcing the IMF bailout.

That's the standard of the RTE reaction to breaking news

Didn't see it but fair comment if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

SkidMark wrote: »

This is the same RTE that commissioned The Limits of Liberty, one of the best and most illuminating history documentaries in any country over the last few years and the Pheobe Prince documentary that was an affecting and brilliantly told story of childhood, depression and how the media and the legal system work -- both in the last six months -- right? The same one that regularly exposes unseen issues with Primetime Investigates? The same one that made Seven Ages?

Too few people give RTE credit where it's due and it just makes pantomine out of all crique of it, including the things that have validity.

Advertisement