Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruined My Chances at Being Successful

Options
  • 06-07-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I feel like because of immaturity at school and in first year college that I've seriously scuppered my chances of being successful in the future.

I never took school seriously, in fact, in my leaving cert year I didn't even study and scraped 330 points. I decided to do law, however I was forced into choosing a private college as I simply didn't have the points to go to Trinity or UCD. Upon hearing that the first year results in my college didn't go towards the overall degree, I once again put in no work and just about passed the first year. (the results were a mixture of Cs and Ds)

In my second year in college, I worked and worked hard. I got a 2:1 but frustatingly, I could have gotten a 1:1 (got 70% in most of my exams) but I made some silly errors in my assingments and was penalised heavily. (the results were all Bs)

My final year in college I got a mixture of As and Bs (the grading system had changed) and I am unsure whether it is a means I got a 1:1 or a 2:1 (maybe someone could clarify).

However, when I apply for masters at colleges like the LSE/Kings College and even when I give in my CV here in Ireland I just get depressed looking at the section where I list my leaving cert results and first year college results. It just looks so bad and I am sure my application/CV will be thrown into the bin when looked at.

I simply wont be taken seriously. I feel like I've crippled any chance of being successful. If only I could turn back time. Some of the CVs you see these days are incredible, things are getting very competitive and I just feel I've fallen far behind and its something I can never change.

I am very depressed about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

you say "I am sure my application/CV will be thrown into the bin when looked at."

Can you read the future? Have you read the minds of all College/Uni course administrators?

No? Didnt think so. Stop speculating and get out there and try.

What you are saying is the equivalent to "that girl across the bar is pretty, but she will totally reject me, so i just wont even approach her". how do i know she will reject me? i cant read her mind.

And whats the worst that can happen, she says shes not interested, big deal.

Whats the worst that can happen to you, you dont get into your masters initially, big deal, at least you have tried. and there are always ways to get into masters courses. e.g. go working for 18 months. iwth decent experience in the relivant field, you can easily be admitted to a masters course.

Dont just sit and mope, ACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

If you have a quick google of the most successful people, you might be shocked at how many have no tertiary education, or were told they'd never succeed, in lots of fields. Famously, Einstien, Clint Eastwood and the Beatles were all rejected at some stage, Richard Branson is dyslexic and poorly educated, yadda yadda, there are lots of examples. The chances of your future being written at this stage are pretty slim.

If your results are improving, paint that as you improving your work ethic as you mature. People are looking at what you will do with a college place/job they give you now, not what kind of student you once were. Keep the chin up, keep working for what you want and keep looking out for opportunities, no match is decided at half-time.

• You haven't ruined your chances for the future, but there's also no point in feeling sorry for yourself. As you admitted, you decided to waste time at school and college when other people were working hard and making sacrifices, so you can't feel too upset now that they might have an advantage over you. Don't think about what you could have gotten, either. If you deserved to get a 1st, you would have a 1st, bar illness or other extenuating circumstances.

What you have to do is put the effort in now. You still have plenty of opportunities if your final result was good (BTW how can you not know if you got a 1st or a 2:1? A simple phone call to your college will surely clarify that?) Apply for the courses you want and if you don't get in, perhaps you can set your sights a little lower. As far as your CV goes, why are you even listing college result by year? I wouldn't do that and my results were decent the whole way through. It's just not really needed, so don't invite criticism for no reason. Don't put anything on it that doesn't make you look good unless you absolutely have to provide a full transcript. For the Masters courses, ring ahead to the colleges and talk to the course tutors - ask what your chances of acceptance are. They're not out to get you, they want bright students. I highly doubt that some bad results from first year would be relevant when you've worked harder and done much better since then. I think you have a good chance of doing whatever you want, but not if you admit defeat so easily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

failure3 wrote: »
    I never took school seriously, in fact, in my leaving cert year I didn't even study and scraped 330 points.

I am very depressed about this.

Tbh I don't think you have much to be worrying about if this is a problem. I studied hard for my Leaving Cert and got 355, you didn't even study and "scraped" 330.

I have FETAC Awards but dropped out of a degree course, not once in my 8 years in employment have I ever been asked about a degree etc, so the chances of you being discounted for your Leaving Cert or first year marks are pretty slim I would say.

And as mentioned some of the most successful people had little or no education, I am one of the only people I know without a degree and I am one of the only people I know actually making money and it's from my own business, most of the rest of my friends are working hard for little money or are unemployed or in Oz, so education isn't everything, experience counts more these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

As far as your CV goes, why are you even listing college result by year? I wouldn't do that and my results were decent the whole way through. It's just not really needed, so don't invite criticism for no reason. Don't put anything on it that doesn't make you look good unless you absolutely have to provide a full transcript. For the Masters courses, ring ahead to the colleges and talk to the course tutors - ask what your chances of acceptance are. They're not out to get you, they want bright students. I highly doubt that some bad results from first year would be relevant when you've worked harder and done much better since then. I think you have a good chance of doing whatever you want, but not if you admit defeat so easily!

Yea this seems strange, nobody really looks at or cares about 1st and 2nd year results, or the Junior cert unless those results are all you have. I have never heard of anyone with a degree being asked what their results were in second year. I'm not even sure if I'd be able to find what mine were in 2nd year without ringing the college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you realise your 1 through 4 year results show a dramatic improvement in your grades from first to last right? Why would anyone see that as a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Forget the wudda cudda shuddas and you'll find that your exams reflect your actual ability when you take intelligence, drive and motivation into account.

Give your future endeavors your best efforts and if you happen to be declined when you apply for something, take it on the chin and do something else instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why are you putting your leaving cert results and first year results on your CV.
    No-one wants to read that stuff. Just write.
    Leaving Cert 200X
    College 200Y-200Z (First class honours Law) blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

wtfman wrote: »
    Why are you putting your leaving cert results and first year results on your CV.
    No-one wants to read that stuff. Just write.
    Leaving Cert 200X
    College 200Y-200Z (First class honours Law) blah blah

Exactly !

Also - never in all my years of working or interviews did someone ask me about my degree or leaving cert.
    I know these things seem important noiw. But they mean diddly-squat in the world of interviews.

In the world of interviews you will be judged in how you come accross genmerally it terms of confidence etc.
    Perfecting the skill of interviews is a far more important skill.

Obviously you will need the qualifications in the fitrst place to get the interview - but you latready have a first class law degree !!

Seriously - what is the problem here ?

Also - make sure your cv is VERY well and clearly laid out. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THAT !

I've worked at going thjorugfh cvs in teh past - and teh reality is, if a cv looks messy or if i know that it will take more concentration that i feel in teh mood for a tthat time i just skip it and go onto the next one.

Ensure you sum up your history quickly. No ramblinmg paragraphs.

A person shoudl be able to get a good snapshot of what you're about in literally 4-5 seconds.

Thank you for all the responses.

A lot of the top colleges ask for a year by year account of all of the results since first year college and request transcripts.

I am not a business entrepreneur like Branson, I want to work in a specific field and for that I need the very best education. You rarely if ever see a lawyer who is self taught.

I want to study at the best colleges in the world. I refuse to do a masters in Trinity or UCD where the degree is somewhat common. I want to have a better edge. A Masters in Cambridge or LSE looks a lot better than a Masters in Trinity or UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Who puts the leaving cert results on a cv ?

I must have reviewed 100 cvs over the last year and not one had leaving cert results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

I want to study at the best colleges in the world. I refuse to do a masters in Trinity or UCD where the degree is somewhat common. I want to have a better edge. A Masters in Cambridge or LSE looks a lot better than a Masters in Trinity or UCD.

A lot of that is down to snobbery tbh and shouldn't pay too much attention to that sort of thing. besides you're better off doing a masters in Trinners than sitting on your arse because they wouldn't let you into Cambridge. You might have better luck with them after you have the masters to go for a PhD or something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

A lot of the top colleges ask for a year by year account of all of the results since first year college and request transcripts.

I am not a business entrepreneur like Branson, I want to work in a specific field and for that I need the very best education. You rarely if ever see a lawyer who is self taught.

You might not see alot of self taught lawyers but you'll find plenty who did their degrees in community colleges rather then big shinny universities. Like Needler said it's more snobbery then anything else. Your choice of school should be based on what you want to focus on, you should research the course not the college and make sure it's the right fit for you. My cousin changed from one school to another because she thought one had the better name for her CV and to this day she regrets making that choice. Yes she's a degree from a world class school but she didn't enjoy her time there and didn't do anything in her career for years as a result.

Yes certain schools are good for the old boys club connections into certain fields but this isn't the only option to follow. Career paths are rarely if ever straight lines, you'd be surprised of the different ways people have taken to get to the same point.

• failure3 wrote: »

You really think any employer would turn their nose up at a Masters from Trinity? FYI, my Trinity degree is the most impressive thing on my CV and I've done postgrad study at a top 5 university. Here in England, they seem to think TCD is equivalent to Oxbridge and obviously it's quite well thought of in Ireland as well. If all you care about is the name, I wouldn't be so sure that LSE is 'better' than Trinity.

You really think any employer would turn their nose up at a Masters from Trinity? FYI, my Trinity degree is the most impressive thing on my CV and I've done postgrad study at a top 5 university. Here in England, they seem to think TCD is equivalent to Oxbridge and obviously it's quite well thought of in Ireland as well. If all you care about is the name, I wouldn't be so sure that LSE is 'better' than Trinity.

Its not a case of looking down on a Trinity masters in law its more of a case that it is very common in Ireland. Also LSE law is regarded a lot higher than Trinity, LSE is ranked 5th in the world for its law department, I'm not sure Trinity is even in the top 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Its not a case of looking down on a Trinity masters in law its more of a case that it is very common in Ireland. Also LSE law is regarded a lot higher than Trinity, LSE is ranked 5th in the world for its law department, I'm not sure Trinity is even in the top 50.

So because you don't think you will get into LSE you've no chance of a career so you might as well give up now cus every single lawyer on the planet went to a top 5 school? Other then looking at ranking lists what research have you actually done into a postgraduate course? have you taken in factors like school fees which are going up in the UK and the cost of living in London which is very very high. Have you looked at schools that might not sounds as shinny as Oxford or LSE but have respected law departments and would be more pocket friendly like say Nothingham which is actually rated 4th for Law in the UK. Have you thought past finishing your degree and what area of law you want to work in because not all law degrees are the same depening on the area you want to work in. Also have you thought about were you want to work, while a LSE degree might looking shinny on your CV if your looking to work in Ireland you'll find you've missed out on the networking options doing a degree in Ireland offers you. Have you looked into the structure of the courses, whose teaching on these courses and who might be better fit for you rather then just looking at the name of the school?

You seem so focused on the name of the school on your CV have you actually thought about what it actually means for you in the long term. I've done two degrees in art, one in a very respected and highly ranked art school in New York and one in a lowly PLC college in Ireland and I enjoyed my time at both and feel I can't pick between the two as to which gave me a better education in my field as I had both positives and negatives for both but overly they both influenced my work in a constructive and positive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Remember that washing detergent ad? Maybe your a tiny bit too young to remember it....
    To perform like Linford, you've got to think like Linford...P.M.A....

Positive Mental Attitude
    Link

Whether or not your results are up to scratch, your mind needs to be in order. You are entering a phase of NMA and that needs to stop. Do a 180. Stop worrying about your sandwiches (results).

Like others have said, in interviews, whether for college or jobs, you need to be the best person for the job. If your worried about what your CV says then blow them away with your PMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm a bit confused.

So you're a 'just scraping by' student who finally copped on when it mattered and now anything below Oxbridge isn't good enough?

Don't get me wrong, I was a scraping by student myself. By choice (of sorts). Couldn't be arsed, Always picked things up way too easily anyway.
    I feel you're very much the same.

Didn't even care what degree grades I got as long as I got it. People told me nobody will ever ask me about those anyway. And they were right. Nobody ever asked me. The same way I couldn't care less when I'm screening CVs or conduct an interview.

So chin up, the world is your oyster man.

Unless you have set your sights on those most lofty heights of a top-end academics career or a position in a stuffy boys club firm I don't see what your problem is.

But if that's what your aim is then I gotta tell you that's a bit like someone who spends his teens drinking, smoking, doing drugs and living off the chipper and decides at 21 he wants to be an Olympic sprinter. Difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mate , i failed leaving cert maths , got into engineering in college , got a job in IT and started my own business ,

Your leaving cert results are nothing really

Advertisement