Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Only a couple more days to the draft, was just looking at what we've drafted and where over the last number of years as a matter of interest to maybe get a feel for what we might go for. We seem to have a lot of success in later rounds or with undrafted guys in comparison to some teams. Looking through our starters on either side of the ball, its nuts that we've three linebackers picked in the first round with two of them (bit unfair on Perry I guess) needing to up their game in a big way next season:

Rogers - 1st, Harris - FA, Nelson - 2nd, Cobb - 2nd, Jones - 3rd, Finley - 3rd, Bulaga - 1st, Lang - 4th, Dietrich Smith - UD, Sutton - 4th, Newhouse - 5th.

Pickett - 1st, Raji - 1st, Worthy - 2nd, Perry - 1st, Bishop - 6th, Hawk - 1st, Matthews - 1st, Hayward - 2nd, Shields - UD, Burnett - 3rd, McMillan - 4th.

It's fairly clear that Thompson and McCarthy are happy enough to pick receivers and corners in mid to late rounds given the depth of them unless they're standouts. And they don't strike me as guys who will jump at a RB early either.

So given our problems at defending deep last year, and our tackling issues in the open field, wouldn't be surprised to see us go for a safety or get more protection for Rodgers in the form of a guard. Dietrich Smith seems to be doing well with Rodgers and our tackles are fairly versatile. What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Seems this draft is deep with Safeties so I can see this area being addressed in later rounds. I think our main priorities is a big a DL, given that Pickett is nearing the end of his career and Worthy, Daniels, Neal and Wilson have yet to prove that they are going to be stand-out Linemen. Rodgers needs a better LT than Newhouse and a big question mark hangs over Sherrod, so I can see them going down that road in the early rounds.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Seems this draft is deep with Safeties so I can see this area being addressed in later rounds. I think our main priorities is a big a DL, given that Pickett is nearing the end of his career and Worthy, Daniels, Neal and Wilson have yet to prove that they are going to be stand-out Linemen. Rodgers needs a better LT than Newhouse and a big question mark hangs over Sherrod, so I can see them going down that road in the early rounds.

You're right about it being a deep safety class but I'd love to see us pick up someone like Elam, a real playmaker and likes making big hits. We could do with a guy like that in the DB corp with Woodson gone.

But the most likely areas are of course our defensive line and offensive line given our current situation. Especially given how many times Rodgers was under pressure last year as a result of missed blocks by the likes of Newhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I really hope you guys prioritise the O line for Rodgers. A man of his class should really not be getting sacked 51 times. Scary stuff at times, watching the lack of protection he had last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Ok the way I see it is the O line is what is needed big time. Then I would like another Clay matthews if you please. After that a rb who can wun over 3 yards a carry would be fantastic. I actually think a replacement for woodson isn't really needed as our D were pretty good without him last season. Maybe a tight end would be good after losing crabtree this year and more than likely no Finlay after this year, give someone some time this season and then have em step up next season with a bit of experience

I really am interested to see what we do this year but for the love of god we need people to protect AR.

Edit I see the cbs draft have us taking Lacey at rb if we don't trade out which was also mentioned.

• Advertisement

So a DE it is. Have to say that Datone Jones attacks like a LB and could be a great help to Matthews (and hopefully Perry), looks an exciting prospect.

Someone that aspires to play like the great Reggie White is certainly going to endear himself to the Packer nation.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    So a DE it is. Have to say that Datone Jones attacks like a LB and could be a great help to Matthews (and hopefully Perry), looks an exciting prospect.

Someone that aspires to play like the great Reggie White is certainly going to endear himself to the Packer nation.

I really like the pick. I think anything for the offensive line at 26 would've been a huge reach and there's not an awful amount of difference in the tackles left. DE was a need as you said earlier this week and it gives us a great pass rush option. If we could up the productivity of Hawk, Raji, Perry and Bishop now we have a solid defence.

Where do you think our next pick will be spent on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

We gotta get Barret Jones. We have a huge issues with injuries on our line we need someone who can play across it.

With Thompson's strong BAP philosophy I could well see our next pick being another on defense. There is a lot of quality there still at LB and Safety.

Intriguingly RB Eddie Lacey is still there, could he tempt Thompson to move up as I can't see him still being there at 55?

Think the cream of the Tackles has gone, Barrett Jones versatility might see him picked (if he is still available) but I can see the OL need being pushed back to find value in the later rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

News just breaking that Rodgers has signed his extension..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The deal, which runs through the 2019 season, is for $110 million over five years, with $62 million in the first three years and a whopping $40 million in the first year. Rodgers' $22 million average beats Flacco's annual salary of $20.1 million.

Sensible to take the big hit now. Monster money.

Yep it is but it's not surprising at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭cosatron

matthews and rodgers signed up and if we trade up to get eddie lacy and get barrett Jones later on, it would be a great off season. fingers crossed

Great to see the Rodgers deal done and deservedly the highest earner in the league. Not sure what the cap numbers are but I'm guessing its fairly front loaded?

Day two of the draft done and happy enough with the Lacy selection. Need him to stay healthy but if he does then he's a steal. If he doesn't, well we still have Harris who was serviceable enough and Green who is a decent third down back.

We now have 10 picks left, including two fourth rounders. If we could get O-line help, possibly Barrett Jones or Alvin Bailey, in the next few selections and possibly a couple of receivers (TE or WR), I'd be happy enough. All depends who is available at the time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

How is Jones' first name pronounced? Is it dat - one or something like daytonay?

Lacy at #61 looks like a steal. Time will tell. Starks' career in GB must be on its last legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

From what I've heard it might be day-tone Jones.

Draft done and must say I'm delighted with how it turned out for us.

Lacy and Franklin were in the top 3-4 RB's in a lot of people's mocks, so to get both of them was fantastic. Especially given quite a few had us drafting Lacy in the first (which would've been a reach). Was wondering earlier today - if Lacy was picked where Ball was, would we have gone with Ball? I know we were supposedly keen on him. We've got great depth there now and as someone mentioned, that's probably the end of Starks. I still like Alex Green as a RB aswell and was just glad to see him stay healthy for the season last year.

Datone Jones in the first was a real smart pick given who was available and our needs going forward. Should be a huge help to Matthews and Perry in creating space and opening gaps if nothing else.

Glad we addressed the offensive line too and David Bakhtiari was rated as a 2-3 round guy by CBS. Tretter looks to be versatile enough from what I've read and given he could be needed anywhere along the line if he develops, then that could be important.

Can't say I know much about Charles Johnson from Grand Valley or Kevin Dorsey from Maryland. Just started watching a few bits of Johnson and the one thing that seems to stand out is the fact he seems to go for extra yards after impact quite a lot of the time given his power and momentum. Dorsey is a smaller guy and is seenhereagainst West Virginia wearing #12. Be warned, link contains some horrible QB play and playcalling.

Josh Boyd DT and Micah Hyde at safety add depth where it's needed. Nate Palmer and Sam Barrington were the last two picks at linebacker with Palmer touted as an outside linebacker and Barrington as a possible inside linebacker.

Looking forward to the new season now with these guys on board. Going to watch a lot of tape over the next few days to see what they're like. (Granted, I haven't a clue what to be looking for other than big plays as such!) Fair play to Thompson and co. for how we managed the draft. There was no real need to trade up and get anyone given the lack of elite players and thus we accumulated picks quite easily.

Great post. Raging I was working so much over the draft.

Jags signed Hordan Rodgers as a udfa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ESPN podcast were raving about Charles Johnson last week as a player to watch.
    I know, I know, just pundits talking

All the same he visited 11 teams so coaches & scouts were interested too.
    http://www.mlive.com/lakers/index.ssf/2013/04/nfl_draft_charles_johnson_from.html

A 7th round pick seems very little to spend on him.

Could be a gem

Arawn wrote: »
    Great post. Raging I was working so much over the draft.

Jags signed Hordan Rodgers as a udfa

Stupid question: is Jordan Rodgers Aaron's little brother?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yes he is :)

I think I'm happy with the draft. Some of these guys look like sure things, but I'm old enough to remember the drafting of Tony Mandarich and Brent Fulwood.

Nothing is certain. But maybe some of these guys, particularly the RBs, can put the Pack back on top of the pile. Indeed, if they do work out the O could be completely unstoppable.

I'm about as optimistic as I've ever been before a season starts. :)

So we have a new O-line set with Bulaga at LT partnered with Sitton at LG, Lang moving to RG with with Newhouse, Barclay and Sherrod to compete for the RG slot.

This has to be an improvement but will it be good enough to keep Rodgers safe?

Ar will be sacked a lot this season. I'm just glad he's able to take the hits and keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheLongRun

Taken from another forum;
    I dropped by Hinkle Field today to watch a bit of OTA practice. I didn't stay for the entire practice, it was hot and I didn't bring a chair. But this is what I noticed:

Datone Jones looks the part. Tall. Very tall, noticeably taller than the other D linemen. "Length"...I get what they mean now.

Alex Green and Starks took reps with #1 Offense. Lacy and Franklin with #2

Quarless looked to be moving well and was a full participant. I'd say he's fully back.

Rodgers jumped in and played middle LB during an offensive drill and even blitzed the qb and jumped up his face during one rep. He's not wrapped in bubble wrap out there!!

The O line is a loud, fun loving bunch. I like it.

It seemed weird not seeing Driver out there and hearing the crowd cheer his every catch.....

TE Brandon Bostick looks big. Tall and well built.

That's about it. Can't tell very much when guys are just running around in shorts.

nothing about our 4th round pick breaking his ankle and being out for 6 months??

Honestly being a united and packer fan when it comes to injuries is seriously taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheLongRun

Arawn wrote: »
    nothing about our 4th round pick breaking his ankle and being out for 6 months??

Honestly being a united and packer fan when it comes to injuries is seriously taking the piss

Nope, it has been pretty well covered through the main stream stuff. I think the injury solidifies Van Roten's position as backup. Apparently happened during a fumble recovery drill when his studs got stuck in the turf as he was sliding for a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

What are peoples opinion regarding Woodson going back to Oakland?

Will it prove much of a loss?

nope, did just fine without him for a lot of last year.

• Advertisement

What are peoples opinion regarding Woodson going back to Oakland?

Will it prove much of a loss?

Woodson was one of the great CB's but his move to Safety was a disappointment. Clearly there were concerns over his collar-bone so time to put his money to better use.

Hope he does well for the Raiders, they need all the help they can get.

Advertisement