Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Updated Satellite Image or Aerial Map of Dublin airport?

• 12-09-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got one please or a link, have Googled but no joy, all seems to being showing the latest Google one which is still showing Terminal 2 as being built :eek:

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Not sure if this is the best place for the request, but I'll leave it here for the time being.

Other logical homes could be Dublin North, Aviation & Aircraft or maybe the Google Earth (hosted) forums. If you'd like me to move it, let me know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks Mike,

Please perhaps move it to aircraft and aviation.

Appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is there the traffic to justify a third runway and if so where would it be located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

cson wrote: »
    Is there the traffic to justify a third runway and if so where would it be located?

Building of a new runway was suspended due to downturn it would look like this if it was going to be built. :)

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/about-us/community-affairs/new-parallel-runway/images.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

cson wrote: »

It isn't the traffic alone that is the justification. The plan for the new runway would have it longer than the current 28/10. This would open up Dublin as a destination/origin for longer range routes. The current runway is too short to allow a B777/A350/B747 to use their full range/payload potential. These aircraft need a longer runway when fully laden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Tenger wrote: »
    It isn't the traffic alone that is the justification. The plan for the new runway would have it longer than the current 28/10. This would open up Dublin as a destination/origin for longer range routes. The current runway is too short to allow a B777/A350/B747 to use their full range/payload potential. These aircraft need a longer runway when fully laden.

You ever think we'll see a new runway/extension at DUB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭chewits

Tenger wrote: »

Dublin is capable of 747s and long range routes. These have been used in the past.

Oil prices are dictating the routes and aircraft in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭chewits

David086 wrote: »
    You ever think we'll see a new runway/extension at DUB?

I cant understand why one would be needed?

Not for 5 years at least I think.

With the economy in the doldrums for the foreseeable future and the DAA getting flak for building T2 I doubt the new runway will get the green light.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to extend the current runway, but that 'solution' doesn't deal with the traffic issues, it merely solves the capability issue for a small number of potential routes.

A second runway at DUB would be a long term investment for the region, (in the same vein as T2) However as we have seen long term planning isn't an Irish strongpoint.

Personally I compare (the gold plated white elephant that is )T2 to the current 3 lane M50, imagine the savings as well of the lack of grief for drivers if it had of been build that way at the start?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

They started making the provisions for the second runway years ago.

The DAA already owns the land that the runway would be built on and if you look at a map, you can see where the road from the roundabout at the end of runway 29/11 to the end of 28/10 (R122) which was built years ago to bypass the old road that passes the boot inn and the fire station, is built to go around the new runway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The new runway can't be built until passenger numbers go back up to 23.5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

There's 3 runways at Dublin (6 if you count both directions). What's wrong with the shorter runway 11/29? Why is it not being used? I can remember in the not-too-distant past when the likes of Aer Arann and Cityjet used this one for both take-offs and landings thus reducing the queues for the main runway. Has better utilisation of existing runways been considered rather than spending a fortune on a new runway?

During the storm a week or so ago I was passing the airport and stopped to have a look. There was a long period where nothing took off or landed, maybe 15 minutes.

@dubdaymo: currently DUB has 2 active runways, 28/10 and 16/32. The previous 29/11 is not longer in use. The planning for a new runway (28R/10L) is in place however it has been frozen for the moment.

Throughout the day there are many periods of calm at DUB. Airline traffic operates in waves, as all airlines try to arrive/depart at the most convenient times for their pax. A second runway would alleviate traffic congestion during the busy times of the day (ie early morning.afternoon departures and afternoon/late evening arrivals)

@Chewits: I stated that the current runway length prevents B747/B777 from using their full capacity/payload capabilities, not that they cannot do longhaul from DUB.
    And to be facetious DUB DUB-East Coast USA is really only a medium haul route. DUB-HKG would be a long haul route. Ignoring the current oil prices and the global economy this route cannot happen as the physical aircraft cannot be operate it without a fuelstop and/or a payload restriction, thus impacting on its profitability.

@Jamie: I assume the 23.5M figure is based on estimated traffic to support this pax figure.
    However there are 2 justification for a new runway at DUB, increasing aircraft movements AND increasing the airport capability/marketability. It could be argued that the new runway is required to allow an increase in pax traffic about 23M by opening up DUB for Ultra long haul flight.

Regardless of the logic behind it I don't think we will see movement on the 2nd runway for 3-5 years at this stage. Depending on the budget the Irish aviation market may find 2012 to be worse than 2011. Air travel is heavily dependant on discretionary spending.

Avation Regulator have said that construction of new runway can't take place until DUB traffic reaches 2008 leval of 23.5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

i taught DAA want to extend the parallel runway from 10,000 ft to 12,000 ft to open the airport to far east and american west coast routes. i argue that 2012 will be a dark year for aviation, with 40,000 people to leave in 2011 this will be profitable with people emigrating from Ireland to Aus, NZ and Canada like myself. Emirates are operating a new route Dublin to Dubai so must have a lot of Irish people flying with them from London to Dubai. new runway would benefit Aer Lingus, Aer Lingus would have the potential to upgrade its fleet to B777 and A350 to fly to the states and have in coach personal tv, ac adapter and the rest of the fleet open new routes around europe or could have a 2 tier airline system, have ryanair big for ireland in europe and aer lingus face of ireland from long haul flights

No runway works being carried in the near future..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Obviously there's no money for it but if there was now would be the time to throw in the extra runway and carry out upgrade/repair works on the existing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

what would be the estimated cost of a new runway?

surely, it is not needed, traffic is grand as it is, all the need if even they do need is, is to extent the main on. is that possible?

nowayout1 wrote: »
    i taught DAA want to extend the parallel runway from 10,000 ft to 12,000 ft to open the airport to far east and american west coast routes. i argue that 2012 will be a dark year for aviation, with 40,000 people to leave in 2011 this will be profitable with people emigrating from Ireland to Aus, NZ and Canada like myself. Emirates are operating a new route Dublin to Dubai so must have a lot of Irish people flying with them from London to Dubai. new runway would benefit Aer Lingus, Aer Lingus would have the potential to upgrade its fleet to B777 and A350 to fly to the states and have in coach personal tv, ac adapter and the rest of the fleet open new routes around europe or could have a 2 tier airline system, have ryanair big for ireland in europe and aer lingus face of ireland from long haul flights

Emirates have no-one flying with them yet. But initial loads are good as they are offering great fares. Ethiad have been very popular with travelers to Asia over the last 2-3 years.

USA is in reach of Dublin (EI used an A332) Runway length does however restrict the range/capacity for B777/B747 ops.

EI already have A350 on order, arriving from 2014. They currently have PTV and power ports in their A330's.

I do agree that 2012 will be another bad year for aviation.

New European routes have already been announced for Summer 2012 from Dublin/Cork/Knock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement