Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are eyes far apart attractive on men?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, perhaps a slightly unusual and rare topic but the distance between my eyes is getting me down of late. I'm a 22 year old guy considered good looking (unless people who have told me are making it up), but the point is my eyes are very wideset, the space between my eyes are over more than one eye width apart. I inherited this from my mother and she was considered very goodlooking, but I have come to the conclusion this feature suits women best eg Kate Moss, Jackie Kennedy. I don't have good bone structure in my face and the bridge of my nose is flat so sometimes I think I look like I have fetal alcohol syndrome when I don't :( In school they used to call me ET and I never knew why, they never commented on the distance between my eyes but ET had it so I presume that was what they meant. I can't think of any other famous men who have this feature except Drake and I have seen some negative comments about it on websites with people remarking that the wide set eyes make him look like an alien and ruin his face, the same comments were also on a Jackie Kennedy thread. I don't know why this is worrying me now, I think it has come up because a guy in college one day commented on another girl in college looking like an alien because he thought her eyes were very far apart recently although he never remarked anything about mine and we talk every day. Do women consider this ugly in men, or would you notice this much when looking at guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I can honestly say that I have never noticed this on a man before. It sounds like you have blown this tiny perceived imperfection way out of proportion and are overly sensitive about it. If as you say, you have been told you are good looking, then run with it. Tbh for women there is nothing so attractive as confidence and a good personality. Stop worrying about your eyes and concentrate on your positive features. The eye thing only becomes a problem for you with women when it damages your self esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Wow, you really need to let that go!

What's not attractive in a man? Well being obsessed with his looks is a major one. At the end of the day do your eyes work? Well then be thankful for them. There's no such thing as rules of being attractive, some women like tall, some like small, some like skinny, I personally like a man to have some weight on him. Some like blue eyes, some brown and so on. Like do you like big boobs or small boobs, red heads or blondes etc. Attractiveness is very subjective. At the end of the day some women will like your eyes and some won't. Concentrate on being a good person and not on the millimetres between your eyes, :rolleyes: talk about a first world problem!!!

So yeah let it go, I'm sure you're gorgeous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Let it go or it will become an obsession.

My OH is as grey as a badger, has blue eyes and a belly :D - a far cry from what I wanted when I was younger and then I ran into him and have never looked back.

And he put it very aptly when we talked about it and he said he always wanted a tall blonde (:D): *What's for you wont pass you by.*

So get out there, forget about the space between your eyes and live like there is no tomorrow.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

OP I had to look up a picture of Kate Moss and I cant see the far apart eyes at all.
    I have deep set eyes and I've recently noticed through drawing class that my eyes are closer together than 'normal'. But my eyes are big and a nice colour and have been told a number of times that they are beautiful. So despite 2 major 'flaws' I have nice eyes! So TBH I wouldn't worry.

Chances are your eyes are not as far apart as you think they are. And even if they are, you've been told you're a good looking guy, so theyre not affecting your looks at all. Maybe theyre adding character to your face!

Look at some of the celebrities - Jennifer Aniston is a beautiful woman, desired by thousands of men, yet she has a strong jaw - a 'flaw' - but it doesn't affect her desirability much.

Or Owen Wilson - he has a wonky nose, a funny mouth but loads of people find him attractive.

One time I came across a blog from a guy who was born with a facial deformity. He didn't post a picture but he described himself as a cross between the elephant man and the guy from the film Mask.

I'm not trying to trivialise your problem but sometimes we need to step back and put things into perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Facial symmetry is generally considered most important in judging facial attractiveness.

Secondary features such as eye separation is less important, but research suggests that males are seen as more attractive if their eyes are more widely spaced.

For example, Morten Harket (lead singer with A-Ha) would be considered very attractive and he has fairly wide eyes.

Have a look at this website

Like others have said, you should not focus on any one aspect of your appearance as it is the overall impression which makes the greatest impact.

Be at peace,

Z

• Advertisement

<<SNIPPED by author>>

Apologies, a slow internet connection today caused this post to be submitted twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Zen65 wrote: »
    Facial symmetry is generally considered most important in judging facial attractiveness.

Secondary features such as eye separation is less important, but research suggests that males are seen as more attractive if their eyes are more widely spaced.

For example, Morten Harket (lead singer with A-Ha) would be considered very attractive and he has fairly wide eyes.

Have a look at this website

Like others have said, you should not focus on any one aspect of your appearance as it is the overall impression which makes the greatest impact.

Be at peace,

Z

My face isin't symmetrical eirther, one side of my nose is larger than the other and one of my ears is pushed in further to my head but it doesn't bother me.

I have looked up the image you suggested and IMO that guy does not have far apart eyes at all. I am talking more Richard Branson.

Thank you though, your comments have helped.

hatemyeyes wrote: »
    My face isin't symmetrical eirther, one side of my nose is larger than the other and one of my ears is pushed in further to my head but it doesn't bother me.

Indeed nobody's face is fully symmetrical, which is partly why we find photographs of ourselves strange to look at (being more accustomed to seeing ourselves in a mirror).

If you think that Richard Branson has comparable eyes then you have nothing to worry about. Not only is he very successful, but he is generally considered physically attractive by women.

Be at peace,

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am female with massive blue eyes quite similar to Aishwarya Rai and I have very similar face shape too, except I'm an Irish girl and have not got the beautiful Indian skin tone.
    Got called bug eyed and nicknamed "bulbs" by a tiny handful of nasty females when I was teen. Strange thing was I always got piles more attention of fellas than any of those girls, and got nothing but compliments of everyone else over my eyes. I am always told that have "amazing" eyes or that they are my best feature, but like you it used to be only the nasty comments I would take to heart whilst not paying as much attention to the positive comments I received.
    I've trawled internet forums and sites like yourself in despair, and guess what - there are some people who also describe Angelina Jolie, Aishwairya Rai, Sophie Dahl, Anne Hathaway, Natalie Imbruglia, Christina Ricci, Louise Redknapp , Bette Davis and Katie Perri as having eyes that are too big and "freaky" or "alien" looking, also some nastier ones calling them downright ugly dogs!
    These women are internationally recognised as being very beautiful by most people (not everyone's cup of tea sure, but definitely not ugly), and yet you get a handful of people everywhere who resorts to calling them ugly/alien/freaky looking.
    Imo it is pure jealousy and quite sad. I would not take any nasty comments you read online about celebs to heart. I used to read hundreds of nice comments about these celebs features particuarly Aishwarya Rai, but I used to focus in on the rare nasty comments and think people must think I have alien eyes too like Aishwarya. It's ridiculous when I think about it, that woman has been voted "most beautiful eyes" on so many lists, but I used to get really down about any single nasty comment I read as my own eyes are very similar to hers but bluer. It's so stupid really, but it's amazing how the comments of a few nasty little bitches can stick with you.
    It's only now in my 20's that I've accepted having very noticeable big blue eyes and now see them as my best feature. I used to yearn for small slightly feline shaped dark eyes, but I have grown to finally listen to the majority of compliments I get, and realise that having large blue expressive eyes is actually a very good thing. My boyfriend loves them, and my friends always say that they wish they had eyes like mine. I get comments of strangers that I get talking to complimenting my eyes. They seem to be the thing that people notice first about me, and for once in my life I can see that as a good thing and stop shying away from these compliments.
    That guy Drake is handsome.
    You are attractive too. People have told you this, but like what I once did you are just ignoring these compliments.
    I don't think people who say you are good looking are just "making it up". If they thought you were less attractive then as friends/good people they just wouldn't bother saying anything at all. If people are actually making the effort to unprompted say to you that you're a good looking guy, then I would be pretty sure that you are infact an attractive guy.
    Focus on the compliments you receive, ignore any comments about celebs or yourself that are just downright nasty. These are usually few and far between, and posted by very insecure people. You should pity them really.
    The most attractive thing is somebody who is happy in their own skin.
    As already mentioned there are many celebs who have "flaws" yet are still recognised worldwide as being very handsome or hot. They have the confidence to make their features just "work" for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Maga

A male friend of mine has really far apart eyes. As I was getting to know him, I don't think I ever noticed, until he brought it up and made jokes about it. Then for lets say for 48h I couldnt stop noticing it. Then, as I got to know him better, somehow I associated this particular feature of his with all the good things of his (personality/charm/sense of humour/intelligence) and I actually find it quite attractive and a major turn on now.

Just my 2 cents. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Healthis

I have this feature too and I notice that it is rare on other irish people. I am considered very good looking so I'm not sure if it distracts from my looks. This is not an irish look though, Uusally Irish people have a large nose and eyes close together.

Advertisement