Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ward Anderson reportedly reviewing future of Savoy and Screen

• 19-02-2012 8:35pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ward Anderson is reportedly reviewing the future of its central Dublin cinemas, according to a report in today's Sindo:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/savoy-cinema-may-face-the-final-curtain-3024277.html

It'd be a shame to see the last two old-style cinemas in Dublin close, but the forthcoming Odeon opening at the Point, as well as the reported Ward Anderson at Stephen's Green Shopping Centre, may mean the writing on the wall...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I admire the Screen, I'm genuinely amazed it lasted as long as it has. I try to support the underdog, but the quality of the cinema itself (wafer-thin walls :() and selection tend to mean I'll just pick the IFI instead. Their 'classic' screenings are at least an admirable attempt to remain relevant (if alienating some hardcore cinema goers through their low quality DVD projections), although there is a strong suggestion that they've already started running out of mainstream appeal there as they begin recycling films they've already played.

The Savoy is probably a nicer cinema than Cineworld, and I do love that old-fashioned vibe to it. But it tends to be choice and screening times that let it down. As much as I hate Cineworld, 80% of the time I have time to kill I'll have to go there as the Savoy doesn't have the same choice.

It's a Catch-22 situation: I'd like to see them stay, but they exist in a harsh commercial environment where their individual 'place' in the mix is uncertain.

I think it's another example of "knowing the price of everything, and the value of nothing". I think we need these homogeneous cinemas in our cities and it's a crying shame they're being pushed out by big cinema chains.

I love the savoy, but they're not very clever unfortunately. One of the huge advantages that Cineworld have over them is their monthly card. Why didn't the savoy and screen do that? If people have the option, I have a feeling a lot of people would choose the Savoy or Screen instead.

It'll be a sad day when they bite the dust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Until I discovered its near-weekly run of classic films, I would have been the first to criticize the Screen & suggest that it be pulled down. As a cinema, it's an incredibly poor venue, and even the aforementioned classic screenings sometimes really show up the inadequate facilities (it's not a good sign when my DVD special edition is of better quality than whatever print they used in the cinema).

It may have old-school charms, but it reminds me of those godawful countryside cinemas I attended in the 80s. As much as we might like to point out the flaws with the likes of Cineworld, I find it hard to argue with its superior facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Things could be improved though. The screen can improve its infrastructure and sound proof those gorram walls. The repeated play of movies is getting a little tired but I cant imagine it would take that much investment to improve projectors, digital or otherwise, giving them more choice over what to play, classic wise anyway.

I haven't been to the savoy in years and I on;y go to classics in the screen, as I have the cineworld card, but if the screen / savoy offered it I would be there in a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The Screen is my favourite Dublin cinema, I have been going there since it was the Metropole in the early 80's, whist I agree its not the most modern and salubrious thats why I like it, the atmosphere is 100 times better there than in generic, soulless multiplexes like Cineworld (or whatever its called now, always changing its name). Really hope they don't close it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

the olde man 'phoned me last night with the news
    of the savoy closing...he's 84 in march...bless...!

:)

he loves his films and football; i promised him if it
    does close then we'll be there right at the end.

i've so many great memories of the savoy 1 myself;
    alien up close and personal, the golden voyage of sinbad
    getting me into monsters (ray harryhausen prefered), die hard
    with the fantastic overhead dolby surround sound...

i could write a book. :)

i remember having a smoke there during rainman and the
    lady beside me looking at me and saying those things will kill you...

not yet!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jontallaght

So sad about Savoy and Screen but they can't have it both ways I suppose; the same company are opening up in Tallaght soon. It is hard for city centre cinemas to compete with out of town locations for ease of access, parking etc.

85 new jobs at Tallaght cinema

02:58, 11 March 2012 by Siobhán Brett
    The opening of a new €6 million cinema in Tallaght in Dublin next month will create 85 new jobs. The development of the complex by Irish Multiplex Cinemas (IMC) is due to be completed next month.
    Around 70 people have been working in construction on the site at The Square shopping centre in Tallaght, and 85 full and part-time positions will be created once the cinema opens in April.
    "It's providing more than 150 jobs, and I believe other businesses in The Square will begin to thrive again as a result," said Paul Ward, chief executive of IMC.
    "Our latest cinema is the quintessence of luxury - it will be a brilliant facility."
    The new 60,000 square foot cinema will have 2,200 seats and 13 screens. It will include ten automated machines for the collection and purchase of tickets, and 3D technology across all screens.
    The new opening brings to seven the number of IMC cinemas in the country. Since its foundation in 1998, IMC has opened cinemas in Athlone, Dundalk, Mullingar, Killarney, Thurles and Dun Laoghaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I really turned off the Screen because of their poor quality classic screenings and low sound (and when I saw Kill List there it started 25 minutes late because of technical difficulties). I never really felt immersed in any film I saw there. It's a shame to see it go though and I always had hope that I'd enjoy a movie there more.

I love the Savoy though and wished I'd gone there more, if only there were more choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

We'll be in there on the 23rd. :)

Dosen't that CENSOR MAN have taste? ;)

THE HUNGER GAMES rated 12A without
    the BBFC cuts. IFCO rules!

Happy clappy dayz. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

the olde man 'phoned me last night with the news
    of the savoy closing...he's 84 in march...bless...!

:)

he loves his films and football; i promised him if it
    does close then we'll be there right at the end.

i've so many great memories of the savoy 1 myself;
    alien up close and personal, the golden voyage of sinbad
    getting me into monsters (ray harryhausen prefered), die hard
    with the fantastic overhead dolby surround sound...

i could write a book. :)

i remember having a smoke there during rainman and the
    lady beside me looking at me and saying those things will kill you...

not yet!!! :D

Ghostbusters for me. I remember queing for what seemed like hours in the cold. Was worth it though, the cinema was packed and at the end everybody sang the theme song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

The Screen has terrible sound; I really don't know why so many film buffs seem to love it. It would be no great loss, imo. The Savoy, on the other hand, would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Worked in the Savoy back in 1997 for 6 months, brilliant job and great people. It's a shame to see it close but its inevitable really. Remember some great movies that summer, Con Air, Beavis And Butthead, Bean, MIB...happy days:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jontallaght

Just saw this indo. How do you think the likes of Cineworld and Savoy will compete with Odeon in point village? do they do an unlimited pass?
    DUBLIN'S answer to London's famous Leicester Square cinema will open later this month, capable of hosting world premieres of major films.
    The country's first Odeon cinema, which will open in Dublin's Docklands, boasts three-storey-high screens, set in a six-theatre complex.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The Savoy in Dublin is akin to what the Capitol Cineplex on the Grand Parade in Cork was.

The Cineplex is still closed and it would be sad to see the Savoy go the way of having advertising hoardings on it's exterior.

Advertisement