Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Novice....Where to Begin

Options
  • 14-08-2012 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

So I have only a basic knowledge of metal. The well known Guns n' Roses, Metallica, Pantera and Iron Maiden stuff etc. I've been enjoying listening to loud angry music while working out at the gym recently, such as the Pantera 100% Proof Live Album and Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden.

So good people of the Rock & Metal forum, recommened me some good albums/bands I should get my hands on while I'm lifting weights and running like a lunatic on the treadmill.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Hatebreed are always good for the gym, pick anything.

Personally I find Pantera's War Nerve very motivational for weights, Metallica's Sad But True also but you know these already. Maybe try something a little heavier also. Below for example

For the treadmill I find that Fear Factory does the trick, specifically Archetype. I think it's in the drums! Overall though it all comes down to what you want to listen to. I find that stuff I'm really liking at the time is good to keep me going.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I second the Fear Factory shout. A good friend of mine from college who was initially into the same stuff as yourself when I first met him, particularly the likes of Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, as well as Megadeth and just a few others. He was open to me sharing a few albums with him in which I thought he would like in order to get him more into the genre and I gave him Demanufactured by Fear Factory, followed by other albums such as Obsolete and Archetype. They're a very good gateway to the genre, and helps you progress to different sounds within metal.

Fear Factory have an excellent tempo to most of their songs, that in addition to an aggressive sound makes them what I imagine to be good exercise music. Rammstein seem to have a similar effect. Happy music hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Rage Against The Machine's first album would be my suggestion although I haven't bothered with an MP3 player in the gym for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My sister used to borrow my iPod when she went walking and the only thing she liked was Rammstein. She said they were perfect walking music anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Some very often underrated stuff from Germany: Nagelfar. Their 'Virus West' album is one of my all-time faves. If you check out the song 'Meuterei', you know, what I'm talking about :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Schism wrote: »
    Hatebreed are always good for the gym, pick anything.

Personally I find Pantera's War Nerve very motivational for weights, Metallica's Sad But True also but you know these already. Maybe try something a little heavier also. Below for example

For the treadmill I find that Fear Factory does the trick, specifically Archetype. I think it's in the drums! Overall though it all comes down to what you want to listen to. I find that stuff I'm really liking at the time is good to keep me going.

Hope this helps :)

Haha, man i totally agree. Hatebreed and Fear Factory are great gym buddies. I think its the mid tempo thing both bands have in common that you can get in rhythm with.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Strapping young lad are great for in the gym :D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

I'm finding Machine Head's The Blackening a great gym album, personally.

I agree with those who mentioned Rammstein - some of their stuff is a slower tempo but perhaps would be good for lifting weights rather than running. (Keine Lust is great for the Crosstrainer - proper bouncy :D).

I also have System of a Down, Therapy?'s Troublegum album, Vallenfyre, The Wildhearts and White Zombie on my gym playlist.

Oh, and The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack! Not metal, but dark and brooding, and makes you feel like you're a superhero. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

"Take A Look In the Mirror" by Korn is an excellent gym album; it's fast, heavy, angry and doesn't let up. Plus if you hit your stride right after a breakdown you feel awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

If you want stuff along the lines of Metallica, Pantera and Maiden then Judas Priest's Painkiller will absolutely kick your ass. Fast as fúckity fúck, heavy as hell and by one of the originators of the entire genre.
    I love my death metal, thrash metal, black metal etc but it doesn't get much better than this. Especially if you're just getting into the genre.

Here's the ridiculous title track. A stone cold classic.

Oh, and just in case the vocals in that last song are a bit too much, here's a more "normal" track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

You might like Iced Earth going by what you posted. A good way to find new bands is to go to last.fm, find a band you like and listen to the radio link for that band which will play similar artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

So I have only a basic knowledge of metal. The well known Guns n' Roses, Metallica, Pantera and Iron Maiden stuff etc. I've been enjoying listening to loud angry music while working out at the gym recently, such as the Pantera 100% Proof Live Album and Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden.

So good people of the Rock & Metal forum, recommened me some good albums/bands I should get my hands on while I'm lifting weights and running like a lunatic on the treadmill.....
    Look man... I'm 35 and started my adventure with metal at 13... Go and listen whatever you like. I personally started with Manowar, Running Wild, Iron Maiden, Sodom, Anthrax, Tankard - but it doesn't matter. Whatever you like, whatever gives your life a meaning. At the moment I am listening to Blood Brothers (Iron Maiden) and I'm totally enjoying it. Find your stuff yourself, nobody can tell you "Listen to xxx and you're a tough hard-core metal lad". Get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

My sister used to borrow my iPod when she went walking and the only thing she liked was Rammstein. She said they were perfect walking music anyway

She'd be right on that one. I walk a lot and a bit of Rammstein always helps lift those legs and gets me marching :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I agree with RumDrinker. Just listen to what appeals to you.

Go onto Youtube and just check out different bands you've heard of. See what takes your pick. You've got the basic bands like Metallica and Pantera covered.
    If you're looking for straight up metal I'd recommend
    Arch Enemy: Burning Bridges or Anthems of Rebellion
    Lamb of God: Sacrament

I'd also recommend Dream Theater's Train of Thought. It was a great find for me when I was looking to expand my tastes. Introduced me to prog metal and from then on my tastes expanded wildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

If you want stuff along the lines of Metallica, Pantera and Maiden then Judas Priest's Painkiller will absolutely kick your ass. Fast as fúckity fúck, heavy as hell and by one of the originators of the entire genre.
    I love my death metal, thrash metal, black metal etc but it doesn't get much better than this. Especially if you're just getting into the genre.

Here's the ridiculous title track. A stone cold classic.

Oh, and just in case the vocals in that last song are a bit too much, here's a more "normal" track.

And if yo don't like that, don't discredit them. They have a habit of changing their sound album to album to chase what was popular at the time. I love them and all but they're terrible "sell outs" in a way :pac: It's what keeps them so interesting I find. Painkiller is always an album I see recommended to metal "newbies" which is understandable, but it is quite trash/speed metal based which isn't generally what they were about.

They have some fantastic 70's and 80's bands that really shouldn't be overlooked (some of which is heavier than painkiller too).

Sad wings of destiny, hell bent for leather, screaming for vengeance and defenders of the faith would be my picks for albums to check out by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Entombed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭thebourke

what about a bit of slayer--reign in blood...only 30 minutes long but a classic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

More! More!
    I dip into a bit of metal every now and then but don't know a whole lot, need some today.
    Liking judas priest painkiller, never really listened before.
    Like a bit of lamb of god when I need to blow off some steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I don't really like them, but I imagine Devildriver are awesome gym music.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Manowar can be good when lifting weights. Mind you, it's VERY cheesy music :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Cill94

I would strongly recommend Megadeth. Their 2009 album, 'Endgame', is particularly good for training to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I also want to add Slayer - Bloodline to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I'd say Forefather would be just the band for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

the_syco wrote: »
    Manowar can be good when lifting weights. Mind you, it's VERY cheesy music :P

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese! You could add a side order of Blind Guardian, Stratovarius and Dragonforce as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese! You could add a side order of Blind Guardian, Stratovarius and Dragonforce as well :D

'Tales from the Twilight World' is class :cool:

And if you like Manowar, you could check out Hammerfall ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Devildriver would certainly work, as would Machine Head. Maybe a side order of Five Finger Death Punch's "The Way Of The Fist" album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Judas Priest my suggestion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

AC/DC live at Atlantic Studios is the best treadmill record I have

45mins of cracking up tempo power chord classic rock with Bon Scott at the helm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

RumDrinker wrote: »
    Look man... I'm 35 and started my adventure with metal at 13... Go and listen whatever you like. I personally started with Manowar, Running Wild, Iron Maiden, Sodom, Anthrax, Tankard - but it doesn't matter. Whatever you like, whatever gives your life a meaning. At the moment I am listening to Blood Brothers (Iron Maiden) and I'm totally enjoying it. Find your stuff yourself, nobody can tell you "Listen to xxx and you're a tough hard-core metal lad". Get me?

I think you misinterpreted OPs post. Your reply seems to be the answer to the question "I don't really know metal, what should I be listening to?" rather than what OP is asking which is "Can you recommend me bands you like that you think work well in the gym?"

He's not asking us if we think he's listening to the right bands, he's simply asking us to show him bands that he otherwise wouldn't be able to find since he doesn't know the sheer breadth of the genre. We're all listening to bands that we didn't find out about for years, he's not, and he'd like a little headstart, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Amon Amarth for the gym, get Twilight of the Thunder God or With Oden on Our Side. Great stuff for excersize!

Advertisement