Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cineworld dublin screen 17 being rebranded as IMAX again

Options
  • 08-09-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Off their facebook news feed:
    Did you know our screen 17 used to be an IMAX screen? Did you also know it shall be again? Cineworld are bringing IMAX to Dublin! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

real IMAX?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Not sure. I'd love it to be full imax.
    Seen TDKR in manchester over the summer and was blown away. If it was that size then I would live in it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I was in screen 17 today. It's a lovely screen but it'd want to be a lot bigger before calling it iMAX! I REALLY, REALLY HOPE that Cineworld are getting a proper iMAX screen, as everytime a big movie comes out I consider going to England but ultimately just leave it. The iSense is a bit of a half-assed excuse to be honest, if there's a proper imax in Dublin, that's gonna get my patronage from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd make the trips up for big IMAX stuff for sure, it sucks that we had an IMAX screen back when it was all documentaries and the odd feature and now the tech is being used so much more its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

First up.....Dark Knight Rises re-release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

If it is going to be real IMAX, first thing I would buy is an unlimited card :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If it is going to be real IMAX, first thing I would buy is an unlimited card :D

Rumour has it this new fangled premium card will be for use with IMAX. That'd be nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It'll definitely be Digital IMAX. Whether it will also be capable of 70mm IMAX (with a screen size to match) remains to be seen. I seriously doubt it. It would be a terrible investment. Those "true" IMAX screens are far too large and impractical for 99.9 percent of films. The BFI IMAX in London only uses half the screen most of the time. Plus it would mean Cineworld having to *shock horror* (re-)hire a projectionist!

Now that Nolan's Batman trilogy is finished, 70mm IMAX will be quickly forgotten about. There's no point having a giant, square IMAX screen if you don't have extremely high resolution content to project onto it. Watching a 70mm blowup of a film shot on 35mm or (worse) digital has all the benefits of watching an upscaled DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It'll definitely be Digital IMAX. Whether it will also be capable of 70mm IMAX (with a screen size to match) remains to be seen. I seriously doubt it. It would be a terrible investment. Those "true" IMAX screens are far too large and impractical for 99.9 percent of films. The BFI IMAX in London only uses half the screen most of the time. Plus it would mean Cineworld having to *shock horror* (re-)hire a projectionist!

Now that Nolan's Batman trilogy is finished, 70mm IMAX will be quickly forgotten about. There's no point having a giant, square IMAX screen if you don't have extremely high resolution content to project onto it. Watching a 70mm blowup of a film shot on 35mm or (worse) digital has all the benefits of watching an upscaled DVD.
    I was surprisingly impressed with the up-scaling job they did for the Skyfall trailer that preceded The Dark Knight Rises to the extent that I'll go out of my way to catch it on IMAX and I'm not a Bond fan at all.

It obviously doesn't rival a film shot on 15/70mm film but it's a sizeable enough market at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd be very sceptical about the advantages of Skyfall in 70mm IMAX. It was shot on digital so I think Digital IMAX would probably be the best way to see it, even if it means a smaller screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Another thing Cineworld needs to bring back is the old listing screens, the new ones are awful and confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Another thing Cineworld needs to bring back is the old listing screens, the new ones are awful and confusing.

Plus, is it just me or are the colours on those screens sore on the eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Turtyturd wrote: »

I think they said at the MovieFest that the Hobbit will be the first movie to be shown on it.

I'd be very sceptical about the advantages of Skyfall in 70mm IMAX. It was shot on digital so I think Digital IMAX would probably be the best way to see it, even if it means a smaller screen.
    Like I said, I was pleasntly surprised by the trailer, enough to make me go check it out there out of interest at least. The BFI have just installed a new digital projector so they can make the most of when there's no 15/70mm film doing the rounds.

Actually, might go check out the Raiders of the Lost Ark restoration instead and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What size was the IMAX screen there before?

Have they room for a full proper IMAX screen without getting the builders in and raising the roof? If not I'd say that answers the question on whether it will actually be IMAX.

It was my understanding that UGC (now Cineworld) converted the whole building when they bought Sheridan out. I was never in the old IMAX, so I don't know the exact measurements, but it was definitely IMAX size: 50-60 feet high. Screen 17 would be less than half as tall, not nearly big enough for 70mm IMAX, but the perfect size for Digital IMAX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If true I personally think its good news. I attended a number of screenings at the original IMAX there. It wasn't anywhere near as big as the the ones I've attended in the US but it was still pretty impressive.

Have they room for a full proper IMAX screen without getting the builders in and raising the roof?

It is my understanding that is exactly what they are doing.

CMpunked wrote: »
    It is my understanding that is exactly what they are doing.

Excellent. I very much want to see more IMAX movies having seen TDKR.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,213 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Surely it'd be Batman Begins first!?

• Advertisement

Chatted to one of the Managers today at Movie Fest about the IMAX conversion and he said it will be Digital IMAX. He also said that they will be doing some construction work to the building (mostly the roof) so they can get a bigger screen in, but will not be anyway near the original IMAX screen that was first installed. They will not be removing Screen 3 & 4 which was converted from the original IMAX screen Also said that Screen 17 will be closed for 2 months.

But hey looks like Dublin will get an official IMAX Screen :D

Chatted to one of the Managers today at Movie Fest about the IMAX conversion and he said it will be Digital IMAX. He also said that they will be doing some construction work to the building (mostly the roof) so they can get a bigger screen in, but will not be anyway near the original IMAX screen that was first installed. Also said that Screen 17 will be closed for 2 months.

:mad::(

Chatted to one of the Managers today at Movie Fest about the IMAX conversion and he said it will be Digital IMAX. He also said that they will be doing some construction work to the building (mostly the roof) so they can get a bigger screen in, but will not be anyway near the original IMAX screen that was first installed. They will not be removing Screen 3 & 4 which was converted from the original IMAX screen Also said that Screen 17 will be closed for 2 months.

But hey looks like Dublin will get an official IMAX Screen :D

Did they say how high it should be?

Whats the difference in digital imax and 'standard'?

Did they say how high it should be?

He didn't say how high it was going to be :(

Say Sad Professor will be along to explain the differences :)

70mm "real" IMAX = celluloid, extremely high resolution, projected onto a very tall square screen. A unique cinematic experience, but totally impractical for nearly every film ever made due to the aspect ratio. Only four or five mainstream feature films have been shot using the 70mm IMAX format, and even then only partially. The old IMAX theatre in Dublin screened nature documentaries because they had nothing else. 35mm or digitally-shot films can be converted or blown up to 70mm IMAX, but the benefits are questionable.

Digital "fake" IMAX = digital, 2k resolution, projected onto a slightly larger than ordinary size screen, often with the seats pushed closer to make it seem more immersive. A fairly ordinary cinematic experience held to a very high standard. It's considered a watered down version of old IMAX or even a con by many people. But most of the time when you hear about "IMAX" these days, this is what is being referred to. Nearly all the big films are being released this way.

Digital "fake" IMAX = digital, 2k resolution, projected onto a slightly larger than ordinary size screen, often with the seats pushed closer to make it seem more immersive. A fairly ordinary cinematic experience held to a very high standard. It's considered a watered down version of old IMAX or even a con by many people. But most of the time when you hear about "IMAX" these days, this is what is being referred to. Nearly all the big films are being released this way.

So there would be no specific size to digital imax?

So there would be no specific size to digital imax?

No, no more than there is for 70mm IMAX. But it's generally larger than average.

No, no more than there is for 70mm IMAX. But it's generally larger than average.

either way, i'm excited. I hope it lives up to the hype in my head.
    Although I've been told my friends in manchester that the odeon imax there is like one of the biggest in europe, so i think i'm going to have to lower my standards a little.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Is 2k resolution the new standard for new films digitally released these days? I thought Real IMAX was in the ballpark of 8000p?

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Is 2k resolution the new standard for new films digitally released these days? I thought Real IMAX was in the ballpark of 8000p?
    4k would be the most recent standard now but it would only be available in a small number of UK and Irish cinemas.

Advertisement