Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-patronising childrens films?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

So, when it's raining and we have children visiting who smash the place up, we put on a film so we can get a cup of tea without someone needing a trip to A&E.

Any suggestions of films parents can sit through without being annoyed?

So far, I have two.
    Finding Nemo is ok.
    The snowman we really love, snowman clocks it, not dumbed down or softened up for children. but it's not the season anymore.

Here are the ones I don't like:
    Bee Movie is ok to a point, and then it gets preachy about the world ending if bees die.
    The lorax is all anti deforestation with added anti-corporate stirred in.

It's over the childrens heads, and I don't need the lecture ta very much.

I would like some non do-gooder film suggestions please!
    For cynical yokes like me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

The Studio Ghibli films are amazing children's films in my opinion.

Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and Ponyo are amazing, magical films avoiding completely the disneyfication element. Can take a bit of hunting to find English versions but well worth it.

My nieces watched My Neighbour Totoro when they were 5 and 7 and loved it. They still ask for it every time they come over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_Ghibli

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭_ariadne

Try spirited away or howls moving castle. Both great kids films that adults will love too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Those Studio Ghibli sound great, must try them out... mainstream ones we tried recently were:

Puss in Boots
    How to train your dragon
    Kung Fu Panda

...they seemed to go down well... and not too cheesy for the adults :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

^ that reminds me I was gonna start a thread somewhere about the darkest moments in kids movies and I have to say I was a bit surprised by Puss in Boots and the scene where
    Humpty Dumpty chooses to die :O

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Kaylee wrote: »
    Those Studio Ghibli sound great, must try them out... mainstream ones we tried recently were:

Puss in Boots
    How to train your dragon
    Kung Fu Panda

...they seemed to go down well... and not too cheesy for the adults :)

add to that The Incredibles and Up - tried and tested for two years by a 6 year old and a 3 year old. They still love them.
    Also if they are familiar with the books (and even if they arn't) The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I dunno about preachy... my girls love Megamind and Gnomeo and Juliet...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Land before time

The princess bride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm 17 and I love Monsters Inc., Up and Tangled :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I love Tangled and Monsters Inc.

Havent seen Up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Ratatouille is watchable. I've had to sit through it a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anything by Pixar. Except cars 2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anything by Pixar. Except cars 2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

Or cars 1:D

I love Cars 1 :O
    Hate Monsters Inc though... Style over substance IMO. I'm aware I'm in the minority here though!

Stay away from Happy Feet also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

+1 for Princess Bride. I can't wait until my kids are older so I can watch that and Labyrinth with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Toy Story trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Are you not reading too much in to this? I don't consider them 'patronising' - they're aimed at kids. And there's no better time to get a good message across regarding the environment or the damage (environmental, social and fiscal) multinationals do than while they're young.

But if you don't want messages like that then, ironically, you should go for some of the old Disney movies. Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, etc. Still classics.

Can't remember how old your kids are but there are other ones like Lemony Snickett, Spiderwick, Labyrinth which are very enjoyable for kids and adults alike. Watched Jumanji and Hook with the kids over Christmas too - they loved them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I suppose I find films with the heavily laid on morals ruin the fun! The visiting children see it maybe partially once, but I ended up seeing the lorax something like five times over christmas with visitors and rain and an injury I picked up. I would love them to be watchable for me too. The lorax is brutal. a giant guilt trip, with some seriously strong examples of how to do passive aggression from the ickle fluffy animals. And I'd say the kids will start to pick up on my eye-rolls, muttering 'Damn Hippies' and snorting eventually. :) Don't get me wrong, we are enviromentally aware, my 18 month old knew the difference between recycling and other rubbish, we even collect rainwater. I just can't take it on repeat in childrens films.

Jumanji and labyrinth I found scary, but I'm a wimp about films. Spent most of Life of Pi under my coat.

The suggestions have been great guys, this is brilliant! I forgot all the oldies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tangled definitely loses its since after you've watched it for the 16th time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The montage of the couple growing old together at the beginning of Up breaks my heart everytime. Brilliantly done. And the rest of the film is great as well. Love the music throughout.

Also, I've seen the Spongebob movie an unknown amount of times at this stage and I still enjoy it. Gives the adults something to laugh about without ever being inappropriate while gently taking the pee out of those kids movies with a message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The Iron Giant, probably the best kids film ever made. Or if they are little older try The Monster Squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Haven't seen the Lorax myself so can't comment apart from that my kids love that movie. Forgot about the Princess Bride - must get that for the kids.

Lassie is another one that kids love.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Karpops

Hugo by Martin Scorsese. Beautiful movie! Also UP is pretty moving.

January wrote: »
    I watched on a plane about four times because it was one of two movies I'd watch on the trip. It lost it alright but I can't wait til my baby has more hair so I can sing "flower flower" while brushing it in a sinister voice

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 is a favourite in our house. Well written and not saccharine sweet. The first Ice Age was pretty good, they've gone downhill since then. And the Ghibli films are great - just that my kids didn't enjoy them as much as I did.

Then there's Star Wars.....

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I love Cars 1 :O
    Hate Monsters Inc though... Style over substance IMO. I'm aware I'm in the minority here though!

Stay away from Happy Feet also.

I'm with you all the way on this. Happy Feet is dire.

Monsters Inc was bad too. In fact almost any Pixar I can think of is pretty lame IMO. Up was 'cute', like Toy Story, but hardly worth the effort. Bugs Life and Nemo are the best of a shiney but bad lot.

dahamsta wrote: »
    +1 for Princess Bride. I can't wait until my kids are older so I can watch that and Labyrinth with them.

:D I got these exact two movies for over the Christmas. My kids are prob. a bit young also... :o

Gambas wrote: »
    Then there's Star Wars.....

As a fella who grew up in the 80s and who spent many a day playing with Star Wars figures and watching the original movies I now find it hard to hand money over to George Lucas to help fund the many innovative ways he has of pooing all over the fond memories I used to have of those films.

Plus, having only daughters helps in that regard.

^ that reminds me I was gonna start a thread somewhere about the darkest moments in kids movies and I have to say I was a bit surprised by Puss in Boots and the scene where
    Humpty Dumpty chooses to die :O

Yes... that was a bit heavy. Though I thought that the Humpty Dumpty character kind of spoiled the movie a bit, he was a bit too....odd? More cats would have worked :P

• Advertisement

January wrote: »

My mother reminds me of this when I hint that she tells the same story over and over. She mentions that she read our books to us hundreds of times and its payback. :D

Advertisement