Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will neutering my dog stop him barking constantly?

Options
  • 05-06-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

he barks all day and all night. drives me nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Not likely, no. There isn't really a correlation between the two.
    Can you isolate the reasons why he barks? Certain noises or sights around? Something else? Is he walked enough or played with enough (maybe barking out of boredom)? What breed is he?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

jack russell, he gets walked 3 times a week and has a big garden to himself and a pomeranian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

he gets walked 3 times a week

Further proof that some people shouldn't have dogs.

The poor bastard isn't getting enough excercise and is probably bored out of his mind, and your solution is to neuter him to stop him barking....

The mind boggles.

always a smart arse. i meant a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Anonamoose

Exercising might make him bark less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How much interaction do you have with him? Is he in the house or out in the garden?
    What exactly is he barking at?

I once read that a dog barks more if they believe they are the "alpha" in the house.
    The expert in question suggested reassuring the dog that you were the "alpha" by eating first etc. After the dog finds his place he will be less stressed and less likely to bark... Don't know if this is applicable in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,923 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

always a smart arse. i meant a day.

You walk your dog three times a day?

Or is that three days a week?

One seems too little and the other is excessive!

Anonamoose wrote: »
    I once read that a dog barks more if they believe they are the "alpha" in the house.
    The expert in question suggested reassuring the dog that you were the "alpha" by eating first etc. After the dog finds his place he will be less stressed and less likely to bark... Don't know if this is applicable in your situation.

Absolute rubbish. All that alpha theory has been proven wrong and outdated.

andreac wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. All that alpha theory has been proven wrong and outdated.

Stick to the walking so....
    Try asking the dog to stop barking and then rewarding if the dog stops....
    He might catch on to it !!!
    Afterwards you can remove the treat with praise

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would try something more energetic than walking...

Josh is very high energy (a beagle) and I take him "walking" almost every day which consists of a trip to the park with a ball and a "flinger" and I run him until he decides he does want to do it any more... usually about 20-30 minutes of running! We walk around then for a bit and then more ball (probably 10 mins) and then home. If I do this in the evening he'll be fairly placid for the rest of the evening.

If I *don't* do this, he will run around the garden himself on a "zoomie" and bark like crazy at every bird/fly/imaginary thing till late.

Try running him ragged and see if he still has enough energy to bark.

One more thing, don't react to the barking, even to shout at him. That's reward enough to keep doing it in his mind...

ps: I've heard a lot of reasons for and against neutering and none of them mentioned barking, so I guess that answers your OP.

DeVore wrote: »
    I would try something more energetic than walking...

Josh is very high energy (a beagle) and I take him "walking" almost every day which consists of a trip to the park with a ball and a "flinger" and I run him until he decides he does want to do it any more... usually about 20-30 minutes of running! We walk around then for a bit and then more ball (probably 10 mins) and then home. If I do this in the evening he'll be fairly placid for the rest of the evening.

If I *don't* do this, he will run around the garden himself on a "zoomie" and bark like crazy at every bird/fly/imaginary thing till late.

Try running him ragged and see if he still has enough energy to bark.

One more thing, don't react to the barking, even to shout at him. That's reward enough to keep doing it in his mind...

ps: I've heard a lot of reasons for and against neutering and none of them mentioned barking, so I guess that answers your OP.
    Thanks ill try that

• Registered Users Posts: 12 working kelpie ireland

andreac wrote: »
    How much interaction do you have with him? Is he in the house or out in the garden?
    What exactly is he barking at?

Basic manners would be alot of it jacks tend to want to rule the roost and are very vocal about this given him d snip will cool the hormones down but with all small dog's they have big ideas

What training have you done with him? Does he live indoors or outdoors and how much time do you spend with him? Is he in with you when you are home?

he is with me all the time in the house. he spends 8 hours a day outside with the pom when we're in work. i bring him for a runaround before work chasing sticks n balls and again after work before dinner. the later walk happens most days but not all. he sleeps in the kitchen with the pom because if i leave him out all night which i dont mind doing because of the weather now he will bark the neighbourhood down. he has finally stopped digging up the garden. he is just turned two

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd do a bit of training with him to give his brain a work out and tire him out. You could play games like hiding treats around the garden for them to find or scattering loads of small dog biscuits for them to scavenge.

I love putting some holes into a cardboard box, putting a toy and a handful of treats in, taping it closed and letting my dogs spend ages trying to get into it.

Have a look at his food. If it's not good quality it could be contributing.

I'd also suggest feeding them both (seperately) from interactive feeders, again to work their brains and give them a little job to do.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Whispered wrote: »
    I love putting some holes into a cardboard box, putting a toy and a handful of treats in, taping it closed and letting my dogs spend ages trying to get into it.

AGES?!? Unless your idea of "ages" is about 2 minutes, this wouldn't work with Josh lol... Ever seen the Tasmanian Devil cartoon?.... something like that. :)

But yeah, I give Josh my pizza box after I'm done and he shreds it happily... its easy enough to clean up and keeps him occupied ripping it into ever smaller pieces.

If he's used to sleeping indoors, you cant expect to change that and not have him complain. Try locking one of your kids outside during the summer and see if they complain all night too :):)

Some brain-work, regular schedule and time will solve it. He's two... which in dog years is kinda teenage-lunatic territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My mams jack Russell spends ages on a normal box. He's a polite little fella though.

My two generally get the document/moving boxes for recycling. Certain types of shoe boxes too seem to take longer too. If you tape the lid closed and tape the corners it lasts longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whispered wrote: »
    Have a look at his food. If it's not good quality it could be contributing.

+1 - what do you feed him OP? The amount of people I know feeding low grade food like Hills who have dogs bouncing off the walls and think it's normal.

Advertisement