Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare Steak with blood?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

I cooked a steak rare tonight for the first time and after I started eating I noticed that in certain parts of the steak it was pink near the edge of the steak (like in the image here http://letsmakesomethingawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DSC3339.jpg) and when I cut into it there was blood/red juice coming out of the steak. Like a fool I continued eating it, and soon afterwards my stomach felt unusual.

Is it safe to eat with blood/red juice coming out of it? Should I be concerned/see a doctor?

From what I could see the outside of the steak was browned/cooked. I googled the above question but found no answer. Im pretty worried now after googling, so I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PeterB11

You'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

PeterB11 wrote: »
    You'll be grand.

Im pretty nervous after googling and reading all sorts. Some I know is absolute ****e talk but still. Doesnt seem healthy to eat a steak with red juices coming out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Maybe rare steaks aren't for you?

You should be fine, but if you feel unwell you should see a doctor of course.

PeterB11 wrote: »
    You'll be grand.
    wonski wrote: »
    Maybe rare steaks aren't for you?

You should be fine, but if you feel unwell you should see a doctor of course.

Im curious, do you eat your steaks with red juice or cooked more?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You wanted to cook your steak rare, and now you're worried because you might have done it successfully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I cooked a steak rare tonight for the first time and after I started eating I noticed that in certain parts of the steak it was pink near the edge of the steak (like in the image here http://letsmakesomethingawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/DSC3339.jpg) and when I cut into it there was blood/red juice coming out of the steak. Like a fool I continued eating it, and soon afterwards my stomach felt unusual.

Is it safe to eat with blood/red juice coming out of it? Should I be concerned/see a doctor?

From what I could see the outside of the steak was browned/cooked. I googled the above question but found no answer. Im pretty worried now after googling, so I would appreciate any help. Thanks

It's not blood. Did you leave it to rest after you cooked it? If not, that's probably why all that delicious, delicious juice poured out.

An File wrote: »
    You wanted to cook your steak rare, and now you're worried because you might have done it successfully?

I cooked it rarer than I wanted and am curious to know do people actually eat steaks with red juices coming out of the steak?

It's not blood. Did you leave it to rest after you cooked it? If not, that's probably why all that delicious, delicious juice poured out.

Do you enjoy your steak with red juice?
    It rested for about 2 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

I'd only eat a steak cooked like this.

Blue is a better description I'd say.

Personally I'd only cook a fillet like this, never sirloin or rib eye.

Prefer those cuts medium/well

Do you enjoy your steak with red juice?
    It rested for about 2 mins or so.

Do I enjoy a juicy steak? Absolutely.

You should leave the steak to rest for at least five minutes; that'll keep the juice in the steak and not all over your plate.

If you wanna try again, follow this:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/articles/all/hestons-perfect-steak-recipe

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Yes, its fine. If you order rare in a restaurant that's how it'll be, basically just be chared on the outside, bloody raw and juciey inside.

If you're not use to eating it that way, it can upset your stomach easily.

Mine wasnt seared very well on the outside. That made me think it might be dodgey as well as the fact I never ate a steak with red juices from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Do I enjoy a juicy steak? Absolutely.

You should leave the steak to rest for at least five minutes; that'll keep the juice in the steak and not all over your plate.

If you wanna try again, follow this:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-cook-like-heston/articles/all/hestons-perfect-steak-recipe

I always thought you shouldn't salt the steak until it is on the frying pan (something to do with tenderness of the meat).

Seems like every chief has his own ways for a perfect one.

wonski wrote: »
    I always thought you shouldn't salt the steak until it is on the frying pan (something to do with tenderness of the meat).

Seems like every chief has his own ways for a perfect one.

Yeah, I've tried all sorts. Blumenthal's method gives you a nice charred outside and a juicy rare inside, so for me it's perfect. A meat thermometer is quite handy to have to get it just right too.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Damn Google, telling me Im going to die from eating a rare steak with red juices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

You'll be fine OP. The red 'juice' isn't blood. Its a protein called Myoglobin. Perfectly safe to consume. So long as you sealed the outer layer of the meat then you'll be fine. The dangerous bacteria is only the parts of the steak that are properly oxidized (I think) Thats why steak only needs to be cooked on the outside while mince needs to be cooked throughout.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Please don't start threads in more than one forum, especially when the threads break the rules in both forums :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement