Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green cert query?

Options
  • 29-03-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Few questions about the grren cert if any of you could inform me please.
    I need to do the green cert. I am an agricultural science/biology/chemistry/maths teacher (two different level 8 degrees). I am working full-time five days a week in a school.
    I would ideally like to complete the green cert in the evenings as getting time off school is not feasible (from reading other posts you need approx 30 contact days in the course which I could not get).
    Is there any place in the MUNSTER area where such a course is offered that would suit in the evenings/weekends?
    I have access to our own small dairy farm (40 cows) so practical experience is grand.
    Can I get any exemptions from the green cert course, as I teach ag science?
    I have rang teagasc and diferent agricultural colleges but I am none the wiser to be honest, so any info would be great. Am I a bit late applying to start in september too?
    I think the "online green cert" would suit but I understand this is replaced? How much are these courses roughly?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

2500 for online and you have to do 30 days or there abouts. there is an evening one two evenings a week for two or three years as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Is your degree course related to agriculture or agricultural science. If one of them is, then you don't need to do the green cert. You'll have to contact Teagasc to get your course verified and then they will sent you a Letter of Equivalence. You will use this to apply to the Dept of Agriculture for YFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

What course did you do to become agscience teacher? It may be part of the exemptions?!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

The Green cert is a level 6 qualification.

In Appendix A of the terms and conditions of the National Reserve / Young Farmers 2015 scheme the Department listed all the educational awards that were equivalent to the level 6 green cert.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/nationalreserveandyfs/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭greenpetrol

Fetac level 6 in golf and sports turf management
    would this make me exempt from doing the green cert? Or even the spray course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 scientific2

Thanks for the help!
    I did Science education in UL (CAO code: LM092). I understand from the link posted (thanks longford leader for this!) that I may be eligible as under section 20 "Rural Science" it states the course "20.3 Bachelor of Science (Education) in Biological Sciences plus 80 hours of farm management" is eligible so I must ring and find out what this 80 hours of farm management is about?

I am just concerned about getting the "green cert" for inheritance purposes (not to sound undermining or anything as I have the practical everyday on the farm), the link posted is about a young farmers scheme that was open in 2015 so im hoping this still applies in 2016?

Many thanks again for the feedback already I have learnt a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Hi, just coming to the end of my green cert. 3 days left, green cert distance education. 23 days in total class contact time plus all the time you spend doing course work yourself.
    Unfortunately there is no easy way to do it by night etc anymore, a day a month and i think it takes slightly longer than the 23 days this time. and unfortunately there are no exemptions as presently there are ag science teachers doing it with me and there are no short cuts, just have to grin and bare through it. Its a backward course that needs serious rethinking and revamping !

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

When is the distance course open for applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

How are lads managing to get the time off work?? Are ye taking unpaid leave??

Majority of farmers are part time. Yet no courses from what l have researched, are running at weekends. Total joke.

I'm married with a young family. I work fulltime with limited holidays. I havent time to scratch my arse as it is but I'd love to do green cert before lm 40 but can't see how to work it.

Simon if you are reading this, I'd love to hear your views....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Grueller

Westport CFE and Colaistw an Atha in Kilmuckridge, Co Wexford do an evening coirse. 2 evenings a week and about 6 Saturday sessions. Runs for full academic year. No course when schools are shut. €1900 is the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 scientific2

Hi all,

Update - thanks for all help and guidance from the info ye all supplied (thanks again) it turns out I only have to complete the level 6 afterall, so hope to start in september. I rang the local teagasc office and they were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

I also have a level 8 degree but had to do the Green Cert. Luckily enough work was accommodating in terms of taking one day a month off. There is also one week in the summer that you are required to attend 5 days in a row. This was the most inconvenient. Exams take place on a Saturday then.

Between working on the farm and the actual paying job I have it was quite difficult to find time for anything else! The course does have its merits. I too would consider myself a very well informed farmer particularly in terms of the practical end but it's important to know you don't know everything! It's beneficial in that sense. Also you avoid stamp duty so long as you are undertaking the course and obviously there is the Young Farmers benefit as well as the top up on entitlements.

I'm coming to the end of the course now thankfully. Solely from scheduling standpoint. All in all though I found it to be rewarding. I did it in Gurteen Ag College. Which would be in Munster! Good luck with it.

Advertisement