Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Electric Picnic Lineup?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Still on a post EP buzz and thinking back over old Picnics I was at and (more depressingly) lineups that I missed.

What do you think was the best lineup? I'm thinking the famous 2005 Arcade Fire year (which I missed!). Some lineup over only two days.

Best EP lineup? 31 votes

0%
    3%
    callaway92 1 vote
    19%
    MyPeopleDrankTheSoupxtal191Lester Freamoncruhoortwunkcircular flexingArne_Saknussem 6 votes
    6%
    CatmologenBowlardo 2 votes
    29%
    Evil SausagebopperbkranglebodhrandudeRothkoRed KevBullBlackNovaWoodersonBrianjl 9 votes
    6%
    corm500peteeeed 2 votes
    6%
    Ferris_Buellerpodge_din 2 votes
    0%
    9%
    homerun_homerA.GorillaGmail 3 votes
    6%
    Deeper Bluebyrneg28 2 votes
    6%
    CWFJamieHP 2 votes
    6%
    jonny_bBadTurtle 2 votes
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

2007 following very closely behind 2005, was a special year also.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

2008,2007,2005 were all great line ups. Had to go and look back at the different years to jog the memory. Made me realise just how bad the line up was for this year. Very poor for the last few years, but this year was a disgrace.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

2005 was amazing but the main memory was the whole experience as it originally was and Arcade Fire's performance. Absolutely astonishing.

I voted 2011 as this was a very strong year for the line up with 3 headliners I couldn't miss, Arcade Fire, Interpol & Pulp. Add to that Warpaint, The Drums, Everything Everything, Trinity Orchestra doing Daft Punk & Lykke Li. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Wooderson

2007 following very closely behind 2005, was a special year also.

Is the right answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

2007 is outrageously good: Beastie Boys, Bjork, Chemical Brothers, Sonic Youth, LCD Soundsystem, Primal Scream, Jarvis Cocker, Modest Mouse, MIA, Manic Street Preachers, Jesus & Mary Chain, Good, the Bad and the Queen, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, Hot Chip, the Fall...

It may also be the most Electric Picnic line-up ever, if y'know what I mean. It totally gets the festival I think...

I have attended 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015.

I probably enjoyed 2010 the most in terms of it being my first festival, catching an outstanding show by the National (my favourite band and my first time seeing them live).

Line up-wise, 2011 should have surpassed it for sure - Interpol, Pulp, Arcade Fire, Lykke Li, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Beirut, Edward Sharpe, Warpaint, James Blake, John Grant, etc., but I do remember being disappointed by a few of the big name acts over the weekend.

2014 was a good one - Portishead, Outkast, Beck, Foals, Chic, Sinead O'connor, Mogwai, James Vincent Mcmorrow, James Murphy, St Vincent, Bombay Bicycle Club, London Grammar, Wild Beasts, etc, and 2015 had some great acts too (Blur, Future Islands, War on Drugs, My Morning Jacket, etc) but it definitely isn't as close to my tastes as what it was a few years previous.

Struck by the number of bands I had totally forgotten I went to see over the years, including the Low Anthem, the Antlers, etc. - sometimes the weekends just blur into one, don't they?

2007 is outrageously good: Beastie Boys, Bjork, Chemical Brothers, Sonic Youth, LCD Soundsystem, Primal Scream, Jarvis Cocker, Modest Mouse, MIA, Manic Street Preachers, Jesus & Mary Chain, Good, the Bad and the Queen, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!, Hot Chip, the Fall...

It may also be the most Electric Picnic line-up ever, if y'know what I mean. It totally gets the festival I think...

I have attended 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015.

I probably enjoyed 2010 the most in terms of it being my first festival, catching an outstanding show by the National (my favourite band and my first time seeing them live).

Line up-wise, 2011 should have surpassed it for sure - Interpol, Pulp, Arcade Fire, Lykke Li, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Beirut, Edward Sharpe, Warpaint, James Blake, John Grant, etc., but I do remember being disappointed by a few of the big name acts over the weekend.

2014 was a good one - Portishead, Outkast, Beck, Foals, Chic, Sinead O'connor, Mogwai, James Vincent Mcmorrow, James Murphy, St Vincent, Bombay Bicycle Club, London Grammar, Wild Beasts, etc, and 2015 had some great acts too (Blur, Future Islands, War on Drugs, My Morning Jacket, etc) but it definitely isn't as close to my tastes as what it was a few years previous.

Struck by the number of bands I had totally forgotten I went to see over the years, including the Low Anthem, the Antlers, etc. - sometimes the weekends just blur into one, don't they?

(On 2007)You forgot about Iggy Pop and the Stooges who totally upstaged Primal Scream who followed. Go Team, Soul to Soul, Ladytron, Polyphonic Spree, Jamie Lidel, Horace Andy (of Massive Attack and Leftfield, I think), Dub Pistols (With Terry Hall). It probably was my favourite three day edition as 2005 was unique in its way of party in the campsite for the Friday and main arena Sat and Sun. It is my favourite line up poster too and tee shirt thats practically in bits these days from been over worn, like the poster it was sky blue with the shining sun. Some of you will recall the original gateway into the main arena and main stage before the lighted cubes the festival used to have the arch and the writing 'Together in Electric Dreams' or something to that effect and the shining sun from the 2007 edition.

2007_lineup.gif?itok=xniGUBAL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

2005 for me - the Arcade Fire gig was once in a lifetime stuff. I remember they only started getting big just before EP and by that stage it was too late to change the stage/time they were on at, so they played an absolutely jammed Electric Arena at 5 in the afternoon. Kraftwerk were great too, and there was a bunch of other stuff that I really enjoyed including but not limited to: Matthew Herbert Big Band, Mix Master Mike, 2 Many DJs etc. Though Fatboy Slim was muck.

I'm glad I went in 2007 as I got to see Beastie Boys.

I last went in 2009 and I could feel it changing and I haven't been back since and doubt I ever will be but 2005 was almost the perfect festival.

Can anyone remember the cubeatron from 2008 it was placed around the gateway or arch coming into the main arena and stage, this is the only clip I could find from the 2008 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

After having a look through the old line ups 2009 would probably have been my favourite. Of years I've been attending (2013 onwards), I would say 2014 was the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

i think I enjoyed 2006 the most.
    new order, bloc party , groove armada, basement jaxx, massive attack,hot chip
    They were all still on form back then. They all had good albums out around the time.
    I was in my festival prime back then and it was a the first year a lot of my friends got to experience their first picnic joy.Campsite were a lot nicer ,more relax back then too.

The crowd was perfect as in the picnic had 3/4 years and the crowd had an identity.
    Oxygen was still going which meant the dregs of society had not travelled to the picnic.

Best Electric Picnic Lineup? in the one i most enjoyed 2006
    Best Electric Picnic Lineup? as in really electric picnic 2005/7
    Best Electric Picnic Lineup? as in big acts had to be last year Blur and florence

Advertisement