Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxious that im graduating at 26!!!!!!

Options
  • 16-09-2017 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

So long story short,over the summer after doing a PLC business level 6 course with distinction, I thought that I would be doing second year to move on with the studies. I did get an offer from Athlone and Galway but i was waiting for that offer also in my local college until i found out last Wednesday that I wasn't accepted. They told me I had to do first year all over again. I was angry and upset that i didnt get an answer earlier like late August/early sept. I felt like i wasted a year doing a plc course since I hadn't any luck with making new friends and it was too easy for me. I could've gone to Athlone and Galway but accommodation is expensive and I hadn't a clue of anyone going down to the colleges. So i made a tough and realistic decision to do a computing course in my local college. I haven't started yet because of what happened but will be starting next week. I would love if college was done for me but I want to be realistic at the same time with regards to getting a job. I hate the fact Ill be 26 by the time i graduate and that my classmates would possibly be full of 17/18 year olds. I know im 22 and young but Im just sick of education as I have done 3 courses (2 fas courses and plc) and this is my 4th. I feel i should have graduated at the normal age "22" not "26". I mean Americas student graduate an early age so why cant i in ireland?!!!!!!!

Im not even looking forward to starting the course, im just so scared that itll not work out for me regarding friends and the work also lol. RANT over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I graduated at 44, living a great life now.

Did my first degree at the usual age and graduated at 21, most of my then class are working in totally different jobs to what we envisaged at 21.

I think most of us started to settle down and go on our chosen path in our early 30s, so don't worry about graduating at 26.

Friends? You will make and lose friends all your life. There's a huge life outside of college in any town or city and you'll find your own friends.

I'm in my mid 40s and met all my closest friends bar one since I was 30.

FWIW I studied legal studies for my first degree and studied engineering part time for my second one which I started aged 40.

Life is a long road, at 26 you haven't even started ;-)

Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If only you knew how young you'll still be at 26. *Sigh* :D

I can understand how frustrated you are but I can't see too many negatives in your situation. I often think Irish youngsters would be better off going to college when they're a bit older and have got their sh*t together. Because you're not a kid who's only a wet week out of school, you've got more experience and maturity. You'll probably take this course a lot more seriously than you might have done at 18 or 19.

These days people of all ages do courses. You're not as odd or unusual as you seem to think you are. If you are open to talking to people of all ages (and I include the teenagers in this) then you'll be fine. It's all down to what your attitude is. If you embark on this course with a negative attitude then you're leaving yourself with an uphill battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I finished my undergrad at 25, worked for a year the did a master's and graduated at 28. It's only a number.
    Some people go to college late.
    Some go twice.
    Some of my friends who work finance are still doing professional exams.
    Some who did PHDs are still in college.
    I met a German guy who's 35 and just got his first professional job after 16 years in academia.

You'll be grand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're not graduating at 26. You "might" be graduating at 26. That's 4 years away, anything might happen in that period.

If the course you have enrolled on is what you want to do then be thankful that you found it and forget about the water under the bridge.

I graduated at 22, 26 and hopefully will next year at 39. And I mightn't even stop then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am on my 3rd post grad OP. Life these days is all continuous learning. Stick with it, you are only a BABY at 26. And trust me, you will be working long enough!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I started university at 16, just shy of turning 17. I remember people saying how lucky I would be to be graduating before I was 20.
    That's not what happened. I wasn't able for the life at all, living away from home, balancing work and college, I hated the course. In the end I dropped out and then had a kid at 20 instead of a degree lol.

I was working and did a diploma in work when I was 27. I'm going back to college part time through work this year to get my degree but it'll take a good few years. Realistically instead of me graduating before I'm 20 I'll be aiming to graduate before my child is 20.

Life happens and age is irrelevant for things like education. Just enjoy the journey because you'll be working the rest of your life almost. Loads of time to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Vlove wrote: »
    I mean Americas student graduate an early age so why cant i in ireland?!!!!!!!

Not sure what you mean here OP - America has a similar situation to Ireland were some people go straight from high school to a 4 year degree and come out but most others go the long way round. I graduated from an American college at 25 and most of my classmates were the same age or older. Due to the cost of education in the US many will go to local, cheaper community colleges to get basic required credits that they can then transfer to a more expensive school to focus on what ever their area of study is thus taking longer to get their degree. Or many go part time due to the cost and take a lot longer to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Don't worry about it!

I graduated with my undergrad at 22, did a masters and graduated with that at 23. I took a year off and I'm now in the middle of a two year masters at the age of 25. I'll be (hopefully) graduating with this masters next August the same week I turn 26!

The demographics of people completing degrees is so diverse, nobody cares how "old" you are when you finish. It's all in your head!

I know it's frustrating when you think about what you had probably envisaged yourself doing at 26, but there's no rush with these things and everything works out as it's meant to in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Im just finishing my 1st degree in my 30's at the moment and I know of a fair few people that did/are doing their 1st degree older than you are.

These days age doesnt mean much in education, whatever works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

When you start your course I'm sure you'll find a mixture of ages. I'm in my 40s and know lots of my peers are returning to college now for new careers or to upskill.
    American students "graduate" from high school at 18 but college degrees take at least as long as Irish degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I've graduated three times and I'm the same age. If you look at the likes of Elon Musk or Peter Thiel they don't really even value third level education, it's kind of ironic but I kind of agree. I think the attitude is to go out there and solve some real problems.

FWIW if I were you I'd start trying to get some professional experience in an area you're interested in. You can do courses on the job, self learn relevant skills/qualifications. This may also lead you to a better quality of qualification as you can sometimes substitute prior experience.

Not to devalue what you've done but a business degree is absolute pony, unless you're doing an MBA, a lot of stuff you can learn on the job (most "business" people I know have the IQ of a Nat and are generally subservient to the systems implemented where they work). In relation to computing a lot of the content you can find online.

In work you can meet a lot of like minded people and it can be a melting pot of social activity. So long story short would be have a can do positive mindset, and just get out there even if it means starting in the post room somewhere, opportunity will come if you get out there and grab it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Don't worry, the world after graduation is a lot harder, enjoy yourself now and don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP,

I was in the exact same shoes 4 years ago. I'm 26 now. I graduated in Dec 2016 and it was the most liberating feeling, mentally. I used to hate to admit that i failed, but I actually repeated 3 years in college and those were really tough times. I even thought of ending it some stage. I couldn't adjust to college initially, didnt attend a lot of classes and it was a culture shock for me. Seeing all your classmates or people you know in class progress and you having to repeat the year, three times is not a good feeling.

However I've come a long way from that, had great experiences along the way and have met a lot of decent people in the process. So I don't actually regret failing one bit. Sure its sad but i may not have had the opportunity to meet the people I know today had I not failed. I'm doing much better in life, setting up my own startup, interning with a startup and learning 3 online courses in computers.

First of all, you have chosen to do a computer course, which is the best decision in terms of finding work, given the current demand and growth of IT jobs and since Ireland is becoming the IT hub of Europe. Also with Artifical Intellegence, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality, cloud computing, you can learn a lot in the computer science field.

My advice is don't worry for a second of your time thinking about the past, because its in the past and it won't help change anything in the past, it may only affect your present mood and attention. Instead what you can do is Do the best you can today.

Wish you all the very best and I hope you do the best that you can everyday and not look at the past to determine your future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

Hi OP,

I was in the exact same shoes as you 4 years ago. I'm 26 now. I graduated in Dec 2016 and it was the most liberating feeling, mentally. I used to hate to admit that i failed, but I repeated 3 years in college and those were really tough times. I even thought of ending it all at some stage. I couldn't adjust to college initially, didnt attend a lot of classes and it was a culture shock for me. Seeing all your classmates or people you know in class progress and you having to repeat the year, three times is not a good feeling.

However I've come a long way from that, had great experiences along the way and have met a lot of decent people in the process. So I don't actually regret failing one bit. Sure its sad but i may not have had the opportunity to meet the people I know today had I not failed. I'm doing much better in life, setting up my own startup, interning with a startup and learning 3 online computer courses.

First of all, you have chosen to do a computer course, which is the best decision in terms of finding work, given the current demand and growth of IT jobs and since Ireland is the IT hub of Europe. Also with Artifical Intellegence, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality, cloud computing, you can learn A LOT in the computer science field.

My advice is don't worry for a second of your time thinking about the past, because its in the past and it won't help change anything in the past, it may only affect your present mood and attention. Instead what you can do, is Do the best you can today and be the best version of yourself today.

Wish you all the very best and I hope you do the best that you can everyday and not look at the past to determine your future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

In 4 years time, you will be 26 regardless of whether you do the degree or not. May as well be 26 with a degree than 26 without one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was 25 graduating with my masters. I've been through the mill with my health in recent years so I took some time to get my health back after I finished my degree and then did the masters. I got a poor grade in my degree because of my illness so the masters has really helped me. Would have done it whatever age I was. Actually my dad started a part time masters 48 just because he got the opportunity to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i was 30 when i graduated from uni. your still a pup.

Advertisement