Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal for Taxis to video their passengers ?

Options
  • 28-04-2019 10:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

I notice a lot taxis these days video their passengers. I'm just wondering if this is legal in Ireland ? When I get into a taxi I don't consent to having my conversations recorded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Irexit wrote: »
    I notice a lot taxis these days video their passengers. I'm just wondering if this is legal in Ireland ? When I get into a taxi I don't consent to having my conversations recorded.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/guidance-drivers-use-dash-cams

All you need to know here. Not sure if you’ve been following the thread elsewhere, but a taxi driver was assaulted verbally, physically and racially by a drunk / high passenger who also tried to take control of the car. Has the whole lot on video, which might come in handy. Assuming it meets data protection guidelines of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Irexit wrote:

It's no different to CCTV inside & outside of shops. It's perfectly legal to record. The tricky part is what it's used for and how it's stored. GDPR covers this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If it affords the driver protection can't see an issue, also as the footage of the moron attacking the taxi driver does the rounds it might discourage other idiots from behaving in a similar manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Any taxis I have seen with interior cctv usually had a clear warning sticker on the doors. I would imagine once that it is clearly displayed, whether you noticed it or not, you consent by using the vehicle.
    For many years my opinion has been that All modes of public transport, including taxis, should have internal cctv for both the protection of the passengers as well as the driver.
    Recent events, as shown on another thread, have strengthened my opinion, and given this and other incidents, some far more serious, I would expect it to very soon become the norm.
    I would think the legalities of it would probably be similar to cctv in the work place, given the car is technically the drivers workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Perfectly legal.

Love to see the smug look wiped off the scumbags face when he realised the whole thing was recorded and the entire nation seen his true colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Irexit wrote:

Asking for a friend?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Perfectly lawful to record. Processing it thereafter is governed by GDPR and other factors so online publication may be a technical data breach.

Fully admissible in a criminal court provided its probative value outweighs prejudice to the accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I've no problem with video, but audio too? So if I'm on a call they can record it? Or if I'm talking to someone else in the car they can record it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Irexit

If it affords the driver protection can't see an issue, also as the footage of the moron attacking the taxi driver does the rounds it might discourage other idiots from behaving in a similar manner.
    That was a criminal incident. I have no problem with video recording in Taxis. But audio recording is a step too far. When I go to the supermarket I don't have my private conversations recorded. I always thought it was illegal to record someones voice without telling them.

Irexit wrote:
    . I always thought it was illegal to record someones voice without telling them.

It's not . Plus as already pointed out taxis have a little sticker advising you that there is CCTV in operation.

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote: »
    I've no problem with video, but audio too? So if I'm on a call they can record it? Or if I'm talking to someone else in the car they can record it?

The audio recording of the camera wont record anything that the taxi driver wont hear you saying anyway. Again comparing it to CCTV, most CCTV inside shops has audio too.

I think people have become so used to mobile phones that they forget where they are at times. If you want a private phone conversation then you should do it in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You're concerned about racists being outed?

lawred2 wrote: »
    You're concerned about racists being outed?

Not defending the passenger in the vidieo you are talking about but it was the drink that got the better of him I think. If the driver was white & fat then he would have been a "Fat Bastred". I think all taxi drivers put up with this on a regular basis. It can be a tough & dangerous job

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not defending the passenger in the vidieo you are talking about but it was the drink that got the better of him I think. If the driver was white & fat then he would have been a "Fat Bastred". I think all taxi drivers put up with this on a regular basis. It can be a tough & dangerous job

reads like a defence to me. And a particularly terrible one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I’m sure his barrister will try and argue this point in court

lawred2 wrote: »
    reads like a defence to me. And a particularly terrible one.

Let me try again.

He is a scumbag. He said some very racist things. I believe if there was a White Irish driver that he still would have been a scumbag, caused trouble & would have called the driver fat, smelly, bald or any other name he could think of. Taxi drivers of all colours put up with this nonsense to some degree on a weekly basis. I'm not making any excuses for him or his remarks ( I have six adopted nieces, an adopted brother & sister, all from Africa). Ive stood up to racism in Dublin for the last 50 years.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

He assaulted the driver. It's on video. It's assault with of without the racist remarks. Arguing that it's part of the job won't get him or his barrister very far in court imo

The audio recording of the camera wont record anything that the taxi driver wont hear you saying anyway. Again comparing it to CCTV, most CCTV inside shops has audio too.

I think people have become so used to mobile phones that they forget where they are at times. If you want a private phone conversation then you should do it in private.
    CCTV recording audio is only a recent phenomenon. I'm sure most people who not agree to having their private conversations recorded.

CCTV recording audio is only a recent phenomenon. I'm sure most people who not agree to having their private conversations recorded.

Audio on CCTV is older than a lot of boards members. I used to own barber shops & hair salons. 25 years ago we had full colour CCTV with audio so it's at least that old. I won a labour court cast due to audio on the CCTV

Irexit wrote:

It's not illegal to record a conversation, whether you agree or not is unimportant. Not sure why anyone has an expectation of privacy in a public place including transport.

• Advertisement

It's not illegal to record a conversation, whether you agree or not is unimportant. Not sure why anyone has an expectation of privacy in a public place including transport.
    Is it not illegal to record someone on the phone without telling them ?

Irexit wrote:
    Is it not illegal to record someone on the phone without telling them ?

No it's not. Only one party has to be aware a conversation is being recorded. How do you think M McCabe was able to record the 2 high ranking Garda in Mullingar without it being an issue?

No it's not. Only one party has to be aware a conversation is being recorded. How do you think M McCabe was able to record the 2 high ranking Garda in Mullingar without it being an issue?
    Maybe in the case of a crime the law doesn't apply.

Irexit wrote:

What part of me telling you it's not illegal can you not comprehend?

Irexit wrote:

No. You can record all your phone calls. Only one side needs to know that they are being recorded. Only the Gardai can record calls where both sides know nothing about the recording & even then they might need a court order, I'm not certain about that.

Regular calls only one sides needs to know that the call is being recorded

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Not defending the passenger in the vidieo you are talking about but it was the drink that got the better of him I think.

Jesus Bike Riding Christ. BEING DRUNK IS NOT AN EXCUSE. DO YOU SHOUT RACIAL SLURS AT PEOPLE WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK? BECAUSE MOST OTHERS JUST GET LOUDER/FRIENDLER. COP ON TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

No it's not. Only one party has to be aware a conversation is being recorded.
    That and it's down to admissibility in court and things. Nothing to do with being illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Who I'm sure we will be paying for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Completely Legal, same situation as CCTV in your office job, shop etc. The Taxi is their work place, they can record what they like as long as they display "CCTV in Operation"

• Advertisement

ogsjw wrote:
    Jesus Bike Riding Christ. BEING DRUNK IS NOT AN EXCUSE. DO YOU SHOUT RACIAL SLURS AT PEOPLE WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK? BECAUSE MOST OTHERS JUST GET LOUDER/FRIENDLER. COP ON TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Maybe if you actually read my comments you wouldn't have responded in such a way.

I didn't defend him in any way. I stated that he made racist comments & that he seems to have assaulted the driver. I stated that if the driver was white Irish that this scumbag would have found a reason to shout and insult him. I was pointing out that taxi drivers have to put up with this on a weekly basis.

I'm supprised that my comments offended you in such a way.

Advertisement