Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you prefer watching films alone?

Options
  • 26-06-2005 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

I live in a house with three other people and its often impossible to try and keep up with the plot of a film. Some people never shut up during a film. If there's a dvd I really want to watch I'd rather watch it alone.
    Apart from comedies maybe. They can be more fun when there's a few watching.
    Going to the cinema is different, like having a crowd with me.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

yeah cant watch a movie that is anyway serious with the missus, you get the typical who, what, why, how etc, "you've watched the same amount of the film that i have how the fcuk would i know", but aggree if its a comedy a crowd can be good, but i generally prefer the cinema nearly empty its not as warm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm the same, I prefer to be alone for a serious film. It can be good for a good comedy film though, as the atmosphere of everyone laughing can be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I have to watch films with other people, especially deep / complex ones.
    I just cant deal with not having someone to talk to after the movie, and like discuss it and stuff,
    but yeah, people talking constantly can be annoying. I dont know i would usually say a few things during a movies, mot much maybe just a comment or two. Oo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Much prefer to watch films alone. Unless as everyone said it's a comedy, or the person I'm watching it with has a special interest in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

comedys i prefere to watch it someone or by myself melted

everything else nope .. i wanna be alone

have to watch films with other people, especially deep / complex ones.

imdb is your friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'd prefer to watch a film with company to be honest. Something like LOTR can be a hassle because of the vast amount of explaining needed though. I concur about comedies requiring a few friends.

Things like Braveheart need a few companions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

i've recently started going to the cinema alone!!!! :eek:

i find it quite enjoyable tbh except for the funny looks ye get when ye sit down at the start before the lights go down!!!!

As regards actually watching the movie i do prefer company but only if we agree on film types and he/she doesent sit through the film cursing me for choosing it!!!!

dan :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i like watching films of a certain nature alone, but comedy and dumb action movies i can deal with watching avec others.

however, i cannot go to the cinema alone, which kind of throws out that first sentence, but i'll refer to DVD with that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I have to have someone with me to let them in on my 'witty' input & sarcastic plot hole observations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

It really depends upon the movie and the people. I wouldn't watch the Godfather Part II or something with somebody I didn't know to be a film buff, as I could bet good money that they will be annoying me about the length or something while I'm trying t soak up the acting and atmosphere. I would very much enjoy atching such a film wth a few mates who are like me though.

Other films need to be watched in groups. While comedies work better that way, the so-bad-they're-classic movies (Commando, American Ninja, et al)ONLY work that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

yermandan wrote:

i find it quite enjoyable tbh except for the funny looks ye get when ye sit down at the start before the lights go down!!!!

As regards actually watching the movie i do prefer company but only if we agree on film types and he/she doesent sit through the film cursing me for choosing it!!!!

dan :cool:

Those funny looks are probably people waiting on you to pull out a handycam or something so that they can be crowned heros.And yeah why is that when you are watching a film with the missus,that the SAS comes out in them.What,who,when...now is this the guy from the start?...Or halfway through a film they fall asleep, then afterwards you get the third degree. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

On my own. Other people are just annoying, the cinema is different I suppose but I don't think I'd ever watch a serious movie in the cinema, not absorbing enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Comedies aside, I'd only want to watch a movie with someone if they're going to STFU. Even in the cinema, I'm generally on edge waiting for the first mobile to go off or for the first Spacedog-commentary to start ruining the experience. Although admittedly we were watching "Mulholland Drive" last night - two of us had seen it, the third hadn't, and so we had some fun going - whenever a lampshade or ashtray appeared - "That bit's important. You should remember it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I prefer to watch it on my own in the kitchen with my headphones on, i can turn up the sound as loud as I like, and enjoy the film in peace. I don't mind going to the cinema with others, but with all cinemas, people have to add their own little sound effects, which drives me crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

nothing worse than watching a very intense scene , only for the missus to start harping on about "Carnation Street" or something :D

if its a serious/strange one , im off to watch it alone with some nachos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

I really enjoy going to the cinema alone, as long as it's a quiet cinema (IFI etc) and a film that deserves that extra build-up and reflection time that you get when you are alone.

I especially enjoy the cinema alone if it's a festival and you get a chance to totally submerge yourself in it for a few nights and come out at the end feeling like you have earnt or learnt something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I hate it when people who haven't been watching the movie come in. Then just start converstations. I also dont like it when people start taking the p1ss out of movie while its still on*

*Unless it is kingdome of heaven or The day after Tomorrow

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm blessed with a woman who will watch any movie with me, like most of em and wait til the end if she has any question - none of which are ever stupid. Otherwise i'm happy watching a movie with me normal friends (the ones i usually watch a movie with) but there a few people who I would try to avoid watching a movie with and hence only ever pick harmless comedies or action flicks when I know they'll be about - careful planning counts for an awful lot when dealing with talkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I usually prefer watching movies alone, whether in the cinema or on dvd, generally because I've crap taste in movies (Resident Evil films and The Core were great!), and can't stand it when people are joking about movies I'm enjoying. I loved Anchorman, and nobody I know does, if I had watched that with mates I would've gotten totally pissed off with them moaning.

But, that said, there can be a great atmosphere watching a good film with mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

ALONE, ALONE, ALONE......Theres is nothing more enjoyable then to sit and watch a nice complex film without interruption, i suppose im lucky that i work in a video rental shop as i have an outlet where i can discuss films that i have seen with collegues and customers.
    My galfriend (*tuh) if shes not watching 'sweet home alabama' for the 10,000th time she just falls asleep through almost everymovie i bring home and even the films we choose together.
    Last nite for instance i came home after work, lay on the couch and watched 'NARC' for the first time...if the women was up she'd watch the first 20mins asking non-stop questions only to then fall asleep taking up 3/4 of the couch.

I do like going to the pics together, complex films are few and far between generally speaking. The oul jumpy films are great, i'd be bored only for her squeezin my arm and burying her head into my shoulder and the best of all is after when wer down in her friends house and she is boasting how she wasnt scared one bit even though i have flesh wounds to prove otherwise!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

when i was younger i watched almost every film alone. Simply because none of my friends had the same love of films as i had. I went ot the cinema every week alone, but no one ever gave me strange looks (prob due to being a fat b*sterd)

but recently since i am now studying film and almost everyone on the course has the same love of the cinema as i do. I tend to go with 2 or so friends, just so after the film we can have a nice pint and rip the film to pieces. To make things better, i live in a house with only film studants. We have untold numbers of dvd's and videos and we all know the respect we must give each film.

Except when its BFB night. (Bad films and Beer) where we throw on batman and robin or judge dredd and take the piss out of the film for the night.

Cactus Col wrote:
    Anchorman
    That film woops bums.

When myself and a few mates go see a flick, they would analyize the film to bits. Saying whether it was better than the last film the same director brought out. I couldn't care less. I like fils, period.

It's nice to drop into Ster' or hit UGC, on my day off. Nice and quiet, no popcorn sounds. Mostly film buffs in there anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

sutty wrote:
    I hate it when people who haven't been watching the movie come in. Then just start converstations.[/SIZE]

When I went to see a Tale of Two Sisters last year a guy came in 15 minutes before the end and sat next to me and started asking me what was going on. Sheesh... It's hard enough to explainingg to someone who had sat through the whole thing.

I usually go to the cinema alone.. and I generally like it when the cinema is nice and empty.

Watching a film with my father can always be a bit of a pain in the ass... he's obsessed with spotting continuity errors. "Oh that glass was empty in the last shot" "Her blouse was off her shoulder a second ago" Argggh....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,592 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Depends on both the movies and the people. In cinema for a random movie would like to be with anyone really, though also dont mind being on my own at all. preferably either girlfriend if its something we'l both enjoy, or a particular group of friends for subtitled movies/weird movies (oldboy for instance - what a quality quality movie!!) I do have 2 friends who over critisise anything that doesn't make a profound impact on them and cant seem to enjoy anything. Avoid going with one of them altogether and only go with the other if its something cheesy or a comedy or pixar type thing. They're so bad that both of them hate Leon!! As one of my favourite films i was absolutely flabberghasted when they asked "but like, whats so good abhout it like?" i was just like "Everything!!!"

For dvd's i agree with everyone else pretty uch, comedies are great with a few people, other wise i like a bit more peace, maybe up to 4 so long as are quiet. With 1 or 2 is probably my favourite, again if quiet. Once i can get into the film i dont mind and it is nice to have someone to share things with after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I don't mind watching any film with others.............. AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SPEAK TO ME!

I was watching Reservoir Dogs with a friend who had never seen it about 2 weeks ago and about 1/3 throught the film he goes, "Which one's Mr. White." It's like, a) were you paying attention and b) it's a film so these things have to be explained and therefore will be explained. Just don't worry about it, watch the film and shut the hell up!

yermandan wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't the nacho hat you wore in? Lol.
    Seriously though, do you get funny looks? I go alone about 90% of the time. I doubt many of my friends would be willing to go as often and as early in the morning and to the films I want to see. For instance, if I'm going to 3 films in the cinema in a row (which I've done) I wouldn't expect to find a friend willing to join me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Depends on the film with me. If it's something subtitled then I'd rather watch it alone or else with someone who's not going to blab all the time. If it's a comedy I don't mind how many people are there. If the film is good enough I'll watch it again anyway and catch any bits I missed the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I like to watch a movie with someone else, who can help explain the plot to me.

i tried to explain the plot to Identity
    If you miss any of that film, your screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If I'm watching an atmospheric movie I find it easier to get into when I'm alone, but if I'm watching a comedy I find that I laugh harder when other people are laughing as well, it's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Are you sure it wasn't the nacho hat you wore in? Lol.
    Seriously though, do you get funny looks? QUOTE]

ahhahahaa i'll never wear that damned hat agin now!!!!!!

i guess because i've just started to do it recently i'm a bit paranoid!!!!it doesent take away from the experience though..

Advertisement