Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones KOTCS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

faceman wrote: »
    That's Karen Allen and she was in Raiders. IMO she was the best of all the female characters in the original 3 films.

She certainly was the best from the original 3 but she was positively muck in this one.

basquille wrote: »
    Might be wrong here but did I read somewhere that Frank Darabont also wrote a draft of a script for Indy IV? And while Spielberg loved it, Lucas hated it and they went with a rewrite by someone else.

Darabont's script might have been interesting!

The story is that Darabont's script was too good. Spielberg called it one of the finest screenplays he'd ever read and the everyone involved loved it except for Lucas. In it Indy had a brother whom was going to be played by Kevin Costner and rather than rely on one liners Darabont's script relied on dialogue.

Lucas, like Paul W Anderson, Guy Ritchie and John Carpenter should not be allowed to write their own films. They're directors not writers and should remember that.

I went last night and took two of my younger brothers and while I enjoyed it, it's not a patch on any of the other films. My youngest brother said that while Iron Man flew by, KotCS dragged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Lucas, like Paul W Anderson, Guy Ritchie and John Carpenter should not be allowed to write their own films. They're directors not writers and should remember that.

Lucas is not even a director! He's good at one thing and thats producing, he should stick to it, the world would be alot better if he produced more films, but didnt write or direct them. Not sure about the rest, Guy Richie I agree should stick away from writing, but I dont know whats John Carpenter's problem really. I dont know which Paul Anderson you are talking about.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Lucas is not even a director! He's good at one thing and thats producing, he should stick to it, the world would be alot better if he produced more films, but didnt write or direct them. Not sure about the rest, Guy Richie I agree should stick away from writing, but I dont know whats John Carpenter's problem really. I dont know which Paul Anderson you are talking about.

The Paul Anderson I refer to is the man whom gave us Resident Evil and Aliens Vs Predator, not P.T. Anderson whom ranks as one of the greatest living film makers of our time. I like him as a director but the man is not a writer. Look at Death Race, early screenings are all positive with many genre sites really liking it and comparing it to the excellent Event Horizon, neither of which he wrote. As for Carpenter I think he just realised that his name was a brand and that merely attaching it to a film was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Paul W.S Anderson has a talent...that talent is that a studio will hand him a piece of intellectual property and he will get it produced underbudget and within the allocated time and to the standard they request (see: PG13).

he was made to be a producer.

problem is, part of his corner cutting includes multi-tasking a few roles (such as writing and directing) and also he tends to give what the studio wants not the viewer.

I'd love to have him as my producer, but I wouldnt for the love of a deity let him near a script or camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SPOILERS

i dont get the big deal about why having
    aliens
    in it? its a movie set during the 50s, like the originals were set in the 30s and based on republic serials, this focussed on
    the reds, ufos and nuclear testing
    and how is that more implausible than a box with the power of god in it, magic rocks and cup that makes you immortal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd agree with Blitzkrieg that he's more of a producer than a director: I think Indiana I-IV are his finest hours (yeah, better than Star Wars), and he produced them rather than directed, leaving it in the hands of Spielberg who has proven himself on many occasions indeed. I think people tend to forget that he didn't even direct Empire and Jedi: hence, since his early glory days he hasn't made a single film of note. Episode III was OK and a big improvememnt of the first two, but hardly mindblowing. I'd go as far as saying that the man has this mythical persona that came from somewhere, but since he hasn't proven himself in the best part of three decades, people should really stop expecting him to direct something decent.

I'd agree with Blitzkrieg that he's more of a producer than a director: I think Indiana I-IV are his finest hours (yeah, better than Star Wars), and he produced them rather than directed, leaving it in the hands of Spielberg who has proven himself on many occasions indeed. I think people tend to forget that he didn't even direct Empire and Jedi: hence, since his early glory days he hasn't made a single film of note. Episode III was OK and a big improvememnt of the first two, but hardly mindblowing. I'd go as far as saying that the man has this mythical persona that came from somewhere, but since he hasn't proven himself in the best part of three decades, people should really stop expecting him to direct something decent.

It was when watching THX1138 the other night that I thought Lucas really is a competent and entertaining director. Of the Star Wars films, Empire is the best and given Lucas's lack of involvement really makes one question his ability. He is a great producer but I can't help wonder what he could do if given a decent script which he wasn't allowed to alter to suit his own whims.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It was when watching THX1138 the other night that I thought Lucas really is a competent and entertaining director. Of the Star Wars films, Empire is the best and given Lucas's lack of involvement really makes one question his ability. He is a great producer but I can't help wonder what he could do if given a decent script which he wasn't allowed to alter to suit his own whims.

He reminds me of contemporary Woody Allen. Everyone keeps yelling stop, leave our memories alone!

But no, they just keep going.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

what was lucas' role in this film, why is everyone going on about him

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »

He's the producer. He produced things and so forth. And also vetoed an earlier script, as Basquille pointed out.

He reminds me of contemporary Woody Allen. Everyone keeps yelling stop, leave our memories alone!

But no, they just keep going.

:(

At least Allen hasn't constantly re-edited his films in a bid to make more money. After Allen's death everything he made after the 80s should be deleted for prosperity.
    MooseJam wrote: »

Lucas produced and was one of two parties involved in writing the script. He also threw out Frank Darabont's screenplay which was acknowledged by many as being a fantastic piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I have posted my, somewhat long-winded review on my website. Too much to type in here. But when it comes to a new Indiana Jones film, you cant be anything but meticulous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah I'd love to read Darabont's script. In subsequent interviews he seemed pretty damn pissed at Lucas for vetoing it. And they used to be friends. Darabont's scripts can be a bit too talky which probably explains why Lucas didn't like it. But anything would be better than the CGI-set-piece-fest that was KOTCS.

Why the hell does Spielberg keep hiring David Koepp? The guy's a hack! I mean, okay, stringing together disparate set-pieces must be pretty challenging but beyond that I don't see a lot of talent there. His character writing is piss poor. Yet Spielberg praises him.

Where is Larry Kasdan when you need him?

SP

Where is Larry Kasdan when you need him?

Working on Clash of the Titans for Stephen Norrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

any scene from the old Indiana Jones movies > this entire monkey swinging blingy skull Space ship CGI infested f*ckity f*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I dug up a big long definition of "Jumping the Shark" for the TV Awards this year. After today, I think I'll shorten it to "See Indiana Jones KOTCS"

That fridge scene near the start, and the tarzan bit in the middle were so ridiculous they were unbelievable. The fridge was lead-lined, but did it have airbags too? Jesus Christ....

Mildly entertaining overall, but the magic is definitely gone.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It was entertaining enough, but most of the film was just references to previous films. I went to see a new Indiana Jones film, not a tribute to the old ones. A lot of very obvious, unnecessary CG, cringe inducing script and a poorly delivered MacGuffin.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the alien aspect really, but it was handled so tragically poorly that there was no atmosphere
    . The Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail are iconic,
    a crystal alien skull is not.

Full of nods and winks and elbows and not a lot else. A George Lucas film by the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in movie in my life!
    Even though I had talked myself into not expecting too much from Indy 4, it still fell woefully short of the mark.

One scene in particular, no need for spoiler alerts anyone who has scene the movie will know which one I'm talking about, actually had me shouting "No, no, no!" at the screen. I sh*t you not, my wife actually turned and laughed at me! If it was'nt for the fact that my 3 kids were also with us I probably would have walked out of the theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I actually really liked this movie.

I think the point some here are missing is that this movie doesn't seem to of been made for the original Indie generation, but for the generation that never experienced Indiana Jones.

Recently I've been trying to rewatch movies from my childhood which in my mind where some of the best movies ever made, movies like the Goonies, labyrinth, flight of the navigator, the never ending story... etc. What I'm realizing is time is no healer and watching them again now with my older critical eye, nostalgia aside, they really aren't that good. So I've stopped lest I ruin all the movies from my childhood.

15 years from now, the 12 year olds that watched this Indiana Jones movie will be talking about it with fondness like we do about the fantasy movies from our childhoods.

IMO, this Indiana Jones movie is a welcome addition to the series. It continued on with the sense of adventure, mystery and the discovery of great treasures that has made all of us, as children, love Indiana Jones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I have to say, I am a huge Indy fan and was really looking forward to this movie. I went with 4 of my mates and we were all hugely disappointed.

Overall, I thought the first half of the movie was excellent. I thought Harrisons accent seemed forced a wee bit during the initial scene but was fine after that.., I though the chemistry with all the leading actors was fairly good, and I thought Spielberg captured the 'magic' with cinematography.
    However I thought the storyline was awful. The first half was great but the more the storyline delved into the search for the 'inter-dimensional aliens', I thought it suffered. The telepathic link between the skull, indy and john hurt didn't work at all well. The final half an hour was a joke. Particularly the scene where the hybrid minds join and the ship taking off.

It was particularly disappointing as from a storyline perspective, this 'archaelogical' storyline precedes the other three and I think it ruined the continuity and link with the preceding three movies.

Anyway, just my thoughts, but I think the spielberg/lucas got everything right bar the storyline. Perhaps a simpler storyline would of captured more of the mainstream audience...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,183 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Terrible. A truly terrible, shockingly poor mess of a movie.

Really bad - possibly the worst move i have seen in the cinema in years.

I don't know what they were doing, or if they thought it was good - but they got it horribly messed up. I wish i could have those two hours back.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I think the point some here are missing is that this movie doesn't seem to of been made for the original Indie generation, but for the generation that never experienced Indiana Jones.

Really? This is actually one point I neglected to mention in my previous post; I felt the film was almost certainly made for the generation that saw the first films in the cinema. It certainly felt like a film my parents would get more enjoyment out of.
    I expect the "original Indie generation" are at least in their 40s. 1981 is a long time ago.

Those flicks are just as good now as they ever were, they are literally timeless; comparing them to films aimed exclusively at children like The Goonies and Flight of the Navigator is specious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I mean Whaaa daaa f/ck ?!
    John Hurt well known and respected actor completely wasted in this wreck of a movie.

That made the whole thing as weak as a bridge made outta butter in the hot summer with lepers doing the maintenance while being attacked by hungry rats, with bus loads of school children on their way to see the movie fall off the bridge and survive only to be raped by the lepers and eaten alive at the same time by the rats.

All in all id prefer getting stabbed than sitting though this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I had nice low expectations based on the poor trailer and feedback from mates who had seen it.

Went last night and it truely is a shocklingly bad film - it makes phantom menace look good.....

Absolutely unnecessary and the thing that gets me - it took 19 years for that?!?

Would love to have seen frank darabont's script get made based on all accounts.

Ah well at least there's batman to look forward to.....

And the trailer for the new will smith superheroe film looked ok too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Two words. Pure shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I didn't like it. It didn't do it for me at all. By the end I was bored. They messed it up. :(
    Mr E wrote: »
    I dug up a big long definition of "Jumping the Shark" for the TV Awards this year. After today, I think I'll shorten it to "See Indiana Jones KOTCS"

That fridge scene near the start, and the tarzan bit in the middle were so ridiculous they were unbelievable. The fridge was lead-lined, but did it have airbags too? Jesus Christ....

Mildly entertaining overall, but the magic is definitely gone.
    Best just to show the video. Says it all.
    CuLT wrote: »
    The Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail are iconic,
    a crystal alien skull is not.
    Good point. It just felt like extra cheesy hokum at the end.
    magick wrote: »
    That made the whole thing as weak as a bridge made outta butter in the hot summer with lepers doing the maintenance while being attacked by hungry rats, with bus loads of school children on their way to see the movie fall off the bridge and survive only to be raped by the lepers and eaten alive at the same time by the rats.
    Lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

So I guess KOTCS is yet another masterpiece form our good friend Alan Smithee.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pure ****e. I am really annoyed that I payed to see this car wreck of a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Mr E wrote: »
    <SNIP>

That fridge scene near the start, |<SNIP>. The fridge was lead-lined, but did it have airbags too? Jesus Christ....

<SNIP>

That was lifted from the first draft f Back to the future, they binned it then because they thought kids would be locked in fridges all over the world having seen it. Obviously not a concern now

Advertisement