Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty Referendum 2 - Return of the Gombeen Man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Did you ever consider that 'virtually none' of the no posters might be unwilling to provide ideas of renegotiation because they feel they are fighting a losing battle here on this thread? I'd also note that 'virtually none' is not none at all. For example, I post for me, I express my opinion and I write in the singular. I have read numerous posts where you speak for "we" and "our". Could it possibly give the distinct impression that an individual posters might believe it's one versus the many? I certainly have noticed that when one 'no' poster contributes that s/he receives lightning reponses, almoist a barage, from the exact same people; yourself, sink and previously oscarbravo. In order to receive the responses you wish regarding renegotitation etc, it might, in my opinion, be wise to be a little bit more welcoming to posters rather than subscribing to the schoolyard bully-pack scenario.

cordially,
    i-bloodhound

Hi i-bloodhound, nice to discuss things with you. I hope you are having a good day. Sorry if I ever came across as unwelcoming, if you knew me personally you'd find i'm a pretty laid back easy going person but sometimes it's hard to convey that sentiment online. So let me try my best to ask as passively as possible.

Can you please point out areas that can and should be renegotiated to allay the fears of no voters and to help Ireland past the current impasse? I would also welcome the views of other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Not much point answering that as far as I can recall the 'yes' voters who post here have all declared that there would be no 'tweaking'/change to Lisbon a la Nice.
    That’s just a great big cop-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Did you ever consider that 'virtually none' of the no posters might be unwilling to provide ideas of renegotiation because they feel they are fighting a losing battle here on this thread? I'd also note that 'virtually none' is not none at all. For example, I post for me, I express my opinion and I write in the singular. I have read numerous posts where you speak for "we" and "our". Could it possibly give the distinct impression that an individual poster might believe it's one versus the many? I certainly have noticed that when one 'no' poster contributes that s/he receives lightning responses, almost a barrage, from the exact same people; yourself, sink and oscarbravo. In order to receive the responses you wish regarding renegotiation etc, it might, in my opinion, be wise to be a little bit more welcoming to posters rather than subscribing to, what can appear to be, the schoolyard bully-pack scenario.

cordially,
    i-bloodhound

To be fair, I feel that the threads are fairly balanced in terms of No/Yes posters - indeed, the reason you can highlight 3 of us in particular is due to the reasonably small number of Yes posters. In turn, the reason you would usually get a response from more than one of us is because far from being a bully-pack we're entirely separate. As to the speed of response - I'm self-employed, I'm in front of a computer most of the day, and this is my main form of work-avoidance. I can't answer for anyone else.

I'm not sure what one does to make No posters feel less intimidated - stop posting, perhaps? There's certainly no intent to intimidate anyone, although possibly the legacy of the referendum is a somewhat combative stance.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Scofflaw wrote: »
    To be fair, I feel that the threads are fairly balanced in terms of No/Yes posters - indeed, the reason you can highlight 3 of us in particular is due to the reasonably small number of Yes posters. In turn, the reason you would usually get a response from more than one of us is because far from being a bully-pack we're entirely separate. As to the speed of response - I'm self-employed, I'm in front of a computer most of the day, and this is my main form of work-avoidance. I can't answer for anyone else.

I'm not sure what one does to make No posters feel less intimidated - stop posting, perhaps? There's certainly no intent to intimidate anyone, although possibly the legacy of the referendum is a somewhat combative stance.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I appreciate the response, Scofflaw and I respect the opinion. As far as my opinion is concerned, I respectfully disagree with your assessment, specifically about the comment that 'far from being a bully-pack we're entirely separate". I've made the point that separate individuals airing their own opinions don't generally use "we" or "our" unless they are speaking on behalf of a group or a pack as it were; whether presumptuously or not.

respectfully,
    i-bloodhound

This may sound arrogant and I apologise if it does but that's not my intention. The yes posters in general seem to have a fairly unified consensus on what the treaty entails and the consequences of the no vote. In general no posters do not seem to have any consensus besides their feelings of being antagonised by everyone who called for a yes vote or who supports a second referendum.

I can't say why this is exactly but my gut feeling is that it has to do with no voters primarily voting no precisely because they feel antagonised. The yes campaign for a second referendum will have to place a lot of emphasis on not being aggressive or arrogant and hopefully their message will be better recieved.

• Advertisement

I appreciate the response, Scofflaw and I respect the opinion. As far as my opinion is concerned, I respectfully disagree with your assessment, specifically about the comment that 'far from being a bully-pack we're entirely separate". I've made the point that separate individuals airing their own opinions don't generally use "we" or "our" unless they are speaking on behalf of a group or a pack as it were; whether presumptuously or not.

respectfully,
    i-bloodhound

Well, there I regret I cannot help you. I am only speaking for myself, whatever my occasional stylistic flourishes might incorrectly cause you to infer.

I've been through this before, rather less elegantly phrased, but with the same essential intent. Were I an official spokesman (at any level) for some group or other, I would say so. The reason I don't is because I'm not...indeed, I am a member of absolutely nothing whatsoever, not even a library club.

regretfully,
    Scofflaw

Well, there I regret I cannot help you. I am only speaking for myself, whatever my occasional stylistic flourishes might incorrectly cause you to infer.

I've been through this before, rather less elegantly phrased, but with the same essential intent. Were I an official spokesman (at any level) for some group or other, I would say so. The reason I don't is because I'm not...indeed, I am a member of absolutely nothing whatsoever, not even a library club.

regretfully,
    Scofflaw

It's no problem at all. You had made mention of 'virtually none of our no posters' providing ideas on renegotiation of the treaty, so I thought I would perhaps provide a clue as to why, possibly, that might be the case. I personally just would have thought if a 'yes' poster was really and truly interested on why that was the case, they would consider, possibly, entertaining a suggestion from a 'no' poster who believed it to be as a result of the manner that certain 'yes' posters had conducted themselves on this thread. My bad.

equally regretful,
    i-bloodhound

It's no problem at all. You had made mention of 'virtually none of our no posters' providing ideas on renegotiation of the treaty, so I thought I would perhaps provide a clue as to why, possibly, that might be the case. I personally just would have thought if a 'yes' poster was really and truly interested on why that was the case, they would consider, possibly, entertaining a suggestion from a 'no' poster who believed it to be as a result of the manner that certain 'yes' posters had conducted themselves on this thread. My bad.

equally regretful,
    i-bloodhound

I would entertain the idea somewhat more (and I'm by no means dismissing it) if it were not the case that other discussion forums devoted to politics contain an equal dearth of such suggestions...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Our problem is really more that virtually none of our No posters seem willing to put forward any ideas on the renegotiation.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

How about no further negotiation? How about some people (avoids "WE" :D ) think that too many powers are been handed to Europe and enough is enough. Why is the only option further integration?

If the current E.U is unworkable then lets roll it back to simpler version and take some of the powers back out of its over-worked hands.

As for a two tier E.U if that's the alternative fair enough. People keep going on about how we wont be involved in decisions. Oh horror, then we simly get to make our own decision on the subject as we won't be under the E.U's jurisdiction on the subject. Something most No voters wanted in the first place (Not to hand over more power). So what's the problem with that?

I've never knocked the idea. Actually it makes sense. Leave us with extra independence while those that would rather more rule from brussells carry on.

p.s sorry I tend to end up quoting you more often than not scofflaw its not that I have a personal vendetta! Honest! :D

I would entertain the idea somewhat more (and I'm by no means dismissing it) if it were not the case that other discussion forums devoted to politics contain an equal dearth of such suggestions...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Well, we are referring to the topic on this thread, and not particularly any other thread in any other forum. This topic and the question of virtually none of our no posters providing ideas on renegotiation was raised in this thread, not in any other. As I said, my bad.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    p.s sorry I tend to end up quoting you more often than not scofflaw its not that I have a personal vendetta! Honest! :D

Ditto.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As for a two tier E.U if that's the alternative fair enough. People keep going on about how we wont be involved in decisions. Oh horror, then we simly get to make our own decision on the subject as we won't be under the E.U's jurisdiction on the subject. Something most No voters wanted in the first place (Not to hand over more power). So what's the problem with that?
    Doesn't that rather give the lie to the assertion that Lisbon-skeptics are not Euroskeptics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I've stopped getting too involved in any discussion
    a) I don't have the time to spend all day on here and all I'm doing is repeating myself or my posts/being ridiculed because you can't come up with any better argument - I'm just not going to waste my time! Of course the unbalanced moderatorship does not help either - there is no moderator who voted No (no doubt I'll get a bad mark/slap for that comment).

b) You are all very adapt at ignoring posts that don't agree with your own argument (which really amuses me). :D

In short - I know you 'Yes' camp here will win all debates on this forum (just like I know on p.ie the 'No' camp will win all debates) - not because of the quality of your argument, but simply because you put more time and have more practice than the rest of us.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Doesn't that rather give the lie to the assertion that Lisbon-skeptics are not Euroskeptics?

Hmm can't speak for others here but I'm sure there's a few that agree with me. However could you define a Euroskeptic? I'm happy with some cooperation in Europe but don't want further integration. Infact I'd be happy to allow the E.U to reduce it's powers as it admits things are unworkable atm. However I don't want to build a big bubble round the country and pretend we exist alone.

Does that make me Euroskeptic? If so fair enough...

Edit:
    Also now that I've put forward my suggestion will it simply get written off as crazy Euroskeptic and the No supporters have still not suggested where to go from here?

Of course the unbalanced moderatorship does not help either - there is no moderator who voted No (no doubt I'll get a bad mark/slap for that comment).
    In other words, you've posted something you know to be in breach of the charter, and basically publicly dared me to do something about it.

If you have a problem with how this forum is moderated, take it up on the Help Desk, and be prepared to back it up with something more than snide insinuations. If you're not prepared to do that, keep your snide insinuations off this forum, and post within the terms of the charter in future.

b) You are all very adapt at ignoring posts that don't agree with your own argument (which really amuses me). :D
    Hilarious. Care to point some out?
    ...could you define a Euroskeptic?
    Yup:
    I ... don't want further integration. Infact I'd be happy to allow the E.U to reduce it's powers...
    There you go.

Nice of you to edit my statement in your quote :D As I said I'd accept moving backwards BECAUSE the E.U has said the current situation is unworkable and I dont want further integration.

So are you saying, hypothetically if a European superstate was suggested anyone voting no is just a crazy Euro-skeptic? Or is there a line where my concerns of further (not any) integration become acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Hilarious. Care to point some out?

1. Someone posted last week a fairly comprehensive breakdown and costing of Irish fisheries. The most avoided thread on boards.ie :D Its so buried now, I can't find it :D

2. I posted a link to an article (from tribune.ie) which stated that there was a fair bit of concern among business people about Ireland being able to hold onto its low corporation tax rate. Scofflaw - having argued quite strongly that this was not an issue to be concerned with, ignored it completely :D

'Reports that French officials will be prepared to offer concessions, including an Irish commissioner and restating protocols on touc-stone issues here such as neutrality and abortion have been aired. But the CCCTB is an acronym still little heard even though, privately, the Irish Bankers Federation and some sections of Ibec, the employers' organisation, describe the plans as the single largest threat to Irish prosperity and the 12.5% corporation tax rate that has anchored that prosperity here during the past decade.'

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2008/jul/20/lisbon-sides-should-tell-sarkozy-non-to-common-tax/

3. I personally was ridiculed when things weren't going the way some would want around here - post 161 & 2 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317435&highlight=thehighground&page=11

4. Other amusing ignore was someone argued quite strongly that RTE were not credible, (offering the New York Times :D as being more credible) when they said that the Russians were unhappy with France/Sarkozy as negotiator between Russia & Georgia. RTE were the only media that reported it correctly. Fairplay RTE!

Is that enough for you to be going on with?

How about no further negotiation? How about some people (avoids "WE" :D ) think that too many powers are been handed to Europe and enough is enough. Why is the only option further integration?

It isn't, by any means! I don't see anything weird about the suggestion that powers should be removed from the EU if they're better handled at national level - I'd like to see the same approach to local powers, come to that. As I've said elsewhere, it's only a framework for joint action.

However, I do think we'd have to ask ourselves how we determine whether something is better handled at national or EU level. I suspect a lot of posters would simply say that everything is better handled at the national level, which is a position I would probably discount, based entirely as it seems to me to be on ideological nationalism.

If the argument is that the EU lacks proper democratic accountability, then that is a case for improving the democratic accountability of the EU, not for simply stripping it of powers - because if things are better handled at the EU level, then better-handled-plus-accountable beats accountable.

Mind you, the party system in the Dáil, and particularly the Whip system, has almost entirely destroyed local representative democracy, yet I don't hear any calls for the dissolution of parties.
    If the current E.U is unworkable then lets roll it back to simpler version and take some of the powers back out of its over-worked hands.

As above. That depends on why it unworkable, and how it can be fixed - and most of the issues in question had fixes in the Lisbon Treaty.

Essentially, because that's not how it works. Even EFTA countries are bound to follow the EU's rules in much of their legislation. The Norwegians described it as "fax diplomacy" - waiting by the fax machine to learn what laws they had to make. SO even in the second tier of a two-tier EU, we are almost certainly going to have to abide by the same EU regulations, while having less say in them. After all, the vast majority of EU legislation is concerned with the common market.
    I've never knocked the idea. Actually it makes sense. Leave us with extra independence while those that would rather more rule from brussells carry on.

Obeying rules while having no say in them is not extra independence by any stretch of definition.

Heck, I take it as a compliment. Possibly, again, presumptuously...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Nice of you to edit my statement in your quote :D
    Your position is basically Euroskeptic. A non-Euroskeptic is someone who is broadly pleased with the process of European integration to date, and would like to see the process continue.
    So are you saying, hypothetically if a European superstate was suggested anyone voting no is just a crazy Euro-skeptic?
    I didn't use the word crazy. And no, that's not what I'm saying.
    Or is there a line where my concerns of further (not any) integration become acceptable?
    Yes: the point at which you don't want to reverse the process of integration to date, and are open to the idea of further integration.

• Advertisement

1. Someone posted last week a fairly comprehensive breakdown and costing of Irish fisheries. The most avoided thread on boards.ie :D Its so buried now, I can't find it :D
    The last post on that thread, as I recall, was a question about the validity of the calculations, which remained unanswered. I'm open to correction.
    2. I posted a link to an article (from tribune.ie) which stated that there was a fair bit of concern among business people about Ireland being able to hold onto its low corporation tax rate. Scofflaw - having argued quite strongly that this was not an issue to be concerned with, ignored it completely :D
    I'll let Scofflaw answer that, but what did you expect him (or anyone else) to do: deny that some people are concerned? Some people are concerned about conscription too, doesn't mean it's going to happen.
    3. I personally was ridiculed when things weren't going the way some would want around here - post 161 & 2 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317435&highlight=thehighground&page=11
    Perhaps people got tired of arguing around in circles with you.
    4. Other amusing ignore was someone argued quite strongly that RTE were not credible, (offering the New York Times :D as being more credible) when they said that the Russians were unhappy with France/Sarkozy as negotiator between Russia & Georgia. RTE were the only media that reported it correctly. Fairplay RTE!

I'm sorry, I'm confused. It seems to me that I and others are being accused of ignoring direct questions that don't suit us. If you have examples of direct questions you've asked me or someone else that we've refused to answer, please link to those specific questions. Armwaving about "someone" who argued something about RTE isn't exactly helpful.

I've been working on a reply to that one since I saw it elsewhere, since it was on the thread I started, after all. At least he did a comprehensive costing, even if some of his assumptions are wrong.

That would be on account of not having seen it, as far as I know. As to the concern - sure, and people are deeply concerned about the LHC ending the world tomorrow morning. It doesn't mean there's anything to be worried about.

'Reports that French officials will be prepared to offer concessions, including an Irish commissioner and restating protocols on touc-stone issues here such as neutrality and abortion have been aired. But the CCCTB is an acronym still little heard even though, privately, the Irish Bankers Federation and some sections of Ibec, the employers' organisation, describe the plans as the single largest threat to Irish prosperity and the 12.5% corporation tax rate that has anchored that prosperity here during the past decade.'

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2008/jul/20/lisbon-sides-should-tell-sarkozy-non-to-common-tax/

It remains the case that CCCTB and Lisbon are entirely unrelated. CCCTB studies and working groups have been going on for several years, and nothing in Lisbon is required to make CCCTB work. That was what I argued in respect of CCCTB at the time of the referendum, it's what I'm repeating now, and nothing you're offering there changes that point - indeed, you'll note that despite the absence of Lisbon, CCCTB continues to go forward.

Nor is CCCTB related to Irish corporation tax rates. It's an accounting system for companies operating in several states. The EU cannot determine tax rates.

That's nowhere near as harsh as some of the things that get said over in the Religion forums.

Still, if we're assuming malice every time someone ignores a post - or a point in a post - by another poster, then we're all very guilty indeed, I think.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I argued against that as well. There is also a fair bit of concern that the world will end at 8am tomorrow. Of course the proponents of both conjectures have no theories that hold up to scrutiny to explain their concerns.

I'm sorry you were made fun of for saying our IT industry could be replaced by agriculture and fishing.

That was me I believe. It's also tenuously related to the Lisbon treaty at best. Russia accepted the ceasefire deal Sarkozy offered on behalf of the EU. In fact negotiations are still ongoing. If the New York Times is not enough sources for you, here are a few more.

'Sarkozy Scored a Minor Victory in Moscow'

Russia and GeorgiaCalling a halt
    Georgia: Too Soon to Celebrate?
    Georgia crisis: ceasefire talks begin in Moscow
    Peacemaker Sarkozy in mission to Moscow

Did you ever consider that 'virtually none' of the no posters might be unwilling to provide ideas of renegotiation because they feel they are fighting a losing battle here on this thread? I'd also note that 'virtually none' is not none at all. For example, I post for me, I express my opinion and I write in the singular. I have read numerous posts where you speak for "we" and "our". Could it possibly give the distinct impression that an individual poster might believe it's one versus the many? I certainly have noticed that when one 'no' poster contributes that s/he receives lightning responses, almost a barrage, from the exact same people; yourself, sink and oscarbravo. In order to receive the responses you wish regarding renegotiation etc, it might, in my opinion, be wise to be a little bit more welcoming to posters rather than subscribing to, what can appear to be, the schoolyard bully-pack scenario.

cordially,
    i-bloodhound

Oh would you look, I was proved right.

It would be more accurate to say that you have observed the same phenomenon again. Your explanation remains incorrect, though - we're all following the discussion, certainly, but we're really not all sitting in the same room, or colluding somehow.

Perhaps you would like to take into account the fact that we don't even particularly agree in detail - we simply happen to disagree with many of the same things (although not all).

amused,
    Scofflaw

Let me get this straight. If we don't respond to points that are made, we're ignoring them - obviously because we're stumped by them. (On the plus side, this at least provides amusement for thehighground.)

If we do respond to points made, we're bullying.

Perhaps you should outline precisely how you think discussion should take place, because I'm confused.

It would be more accurate to say that you have observed the same phenomenon again. Your explanation remains incorrect, though - we're all following the discussion, certainly, but we're really not all sitting in the same room, or colluding somehow.

amused,
    Scofflaw

Precisely - an observation of the same bully phenomenon. If you deem ridiculing user: thehighground as discussion, well, certainly we have another difference of opinion.

highly amused,
    i-bloodhound

Let me get this straight. If we don't respond to points that are made, we're ignoring them - obviously because we're stumped by them. (On the plus side, this at least provides amusement for thehighground.)

If we do respond to points made, we're bullying.

Perhaps you should outline precisely how you think discussion should take place, because I'm confused.

A discussion is where individuals converse about a particular topic. Respect would be a key word in the concept of a discussion. Ridicule is not discussion. Bullying is not discussion. Would you also like me to outline precisely what I think is abuse of moderation?

A discussion is where individuals converse about a particular topic. Respect would be a key word in the concept of a discussion. Ridicule is not discussion.
    Like, for example, the respectful tone of thehighground's last contribution?
    Bullying is not discussion.
    Discussion is not bullying.
    Would you also like me to outline precisely what I think is abuse of moderation?
    Yes, please: in the appropriate forum, which - as I've already pointed out - is the Help Desk.

• Advertisement

Precisely - an observation of the same bully phenomenon. If you deem ridiculing user: thehighground as discussion, well, certainly we have another difference of opinion.

highly amused,
    i-bloodhound

Well no, that isn't discussion - but then neither is this. You could of course try bringing up some substantive discussion and seeing how that goes. Or did you join just to defend the No posters?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement